Who will be the director of Bond26?

123457»

Comments

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

He's going to be in major demand for DUN3 after this weekend. I've never read DUNE MESSIAH (the second book) but DV has indicated that he really wants to make that into the third movie and put a cap on his DUNE experience.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

World of Reel is garbage, lest anyone want to start sharing "rumors" and "news" (as the site's "speculation" invariably mutates into) from there.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    edited March 4

Dune 2 took $80m over the weekend in the US, it's predicted to be a box office success so I'd be surprised if Warner Bros don't wave a large amount of cash under his nose for Dune Messiah to be his next film, rather than the others on his slate, Cleopatra, Rendezvous with Rama and one more I forget. If Asp9mm is right, there's still some time to go before a director is chosen and by then Villeneuve will be knee deep in whatever project he goes ahead with.

• impact4444impact4444 Posts: 11MI6 Agent

Hello all!

I'm going to have to side with the people who said Christopher Nolan because of the movie Memento and Interstellar who were brilliantly brought to screen. Oppenheimer had the human quality that I wish to see in Bond - character development. Although, not a fan of Batman - the movie made a bazillion dollars so - it was good. Inception - not so much because Freddy kind of burned out any "dream fantasy movie". But, to be honest - he stands out to me. Connery once said he'd reprise the role if Spielberg directed. I might've said Spielberg after seeing Schindler's List but, overall, I find he's become a one-man Disney company - and James Bond just needs to be a little more dark. Spielberg would be more of a Roger Moore Bond style IMHO.

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent
    edited March 5

Spielberg is like Bond, everything he touches turns to excitement. Schindler's List is obviously a masterpiece, but don't forget Munich (Connery is not the only Bond actor who worked with the great Steven). I think Spielberg is able to direct any kind of movie, no matter the degree of darkness or humor. But right now, Bond may need a younger director and most of all, brand new screenwriters, people who could bring some fresh air and deal with other items than the ones Purvis and Wade have been overusing since The World Is Not Enough.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    edited March 6

Messiah is a complex book. The studio won’t want to adapt it closely, but Villeneuve will probably try to exert control and stay faithful to the text. If they do a direct adaptation, it will be divisive for the non-book readers. But in any event, the screen play process will take time to play out. Messiah also occurs more than a decade after the events of Dune. So waiting for the actors to age a bit makes narrative sense. The people speculating that Messiah will happen soon don’t understand the story, and don’t appreciate Villeneuve’s apparent commitment to telling it the right way.

All of that is to say, he’ll probably have time for a Bond movie if he wants to do one. Especially at the glacial pace EON moves. And we know they’ll wait for their man.

So, unsurprisingly, Nolan won Oscars for Oppenheimer. I just thought I'd update the thread with that.

The rumour is Nolan's next film will be a remake of a 1960s British TV show called The Prisoner. This speculation is buried at the bottom of a Variety story about Nolan's income from Oppenheimer.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-pay-1235938430/

The article says: "Some say it will be a remake of the mystery-thriller “The Prisoner,” based on the 1960s TV series created by and starring Patrick McGoohan, which Nolan was attached to in 2009."

This trailer gives some idea about what The Prisoner was, a mystery and a sort of puzzle, so perfect for Nolan.

A six part mini-series was also produced remaking the show in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdsrOJNeMFs

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

I saw this news but I don't buy it.

The Prisoner is so much of its time I don't think there's any point in remaking it.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

The first remake, with a great cast, wasn't so well received. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner_(2009_miniseries)

Agree the original is of its time (if it's even of THAT time), but if anyone has an idea of how to rejuvenate it -- and now, has the license to make it happen -- it's Nolan.

But any James Bond fan should know about The Prisoner. It's the weirdo stepbrother of '60s action-spy properties. And if Nolan is doing it, maybe that'll finally quiet the "he's doing the next Bond" hopefuls.

THE PRISONER is awesome but very much a singular thing, of its time and of its actor. It inspired one of Iron Maiden's best songs, too.

The story of how they got Patrick McGoohan to allow the initial intro to the song is pretty cool too.

But the show itself requires a suspension of belief that I simply don't think would pass muster in today's world. If you made it a retro thing taking place in the 1960s, that would work...but what would be the artistic/creative point when you already have the show?

The remake was terrible and borderline unwatchable. Avoid if you haven't seen it.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    edited March 14

@Someone have you never seen the Prisoner?

Shout! TV has the north american rights and it is available for free streaming on their website

and we have a good thread on the show , lets bump it if folks want to discuss, because I'll probably miss further discussion in this thread

the show only ran one short season, only 17 episodes. so if anyones interested you should just watch it, I say it is essential and should be taught as part of the high school curriculum

as to Nolan directing a remake? I dont look forward to that. The Prisoner is a notoriously ambiguous show, always dropping surreal hints as to what is really going on, never really explaining, especially not in its final show. Nolan is a director I feel cannot tell a coherent story to begin with, so I would not want him tackling this. I think it actually takes great discipline to tell a story this cryptic, and Patrick MGoohan seems like highly disciplined creator.

the remake/sequel a few years back was dreadful and shows the original was the unique product of a particular mind

I haven't seen The Prisoner, it has never appealed to me.

• impact4444impact4444 Posts: 11MI6 Agent

Hello all!

There is a great challenge that (I suppose IMHO) can be a turn-off for a director to take such a project (not unlike Superman, Batman and so on). James Bond has a huge history. It's gotta be fresh but, it's gotta have certain key elements that fans want. It can also be dated - Connery in Diamonds are Forever - wearing a tux while people around have a polo shirt, a plaid shirt and the likes - always made me feel that it was a "serious comedy" - director blatantly made it obvious that James Bond from a different era. Take any shot in there - try to guess who might be a spy - lol. They went with BMW, they went with different models of Aston Martin but - it all came back to the one from Goldfinger.

Now that Amazon owns MGM - I think that it will give a greater range of choices. Lots of good stuff has come from Amazon and I don't see them screwing this one up. Maybe the future director - is no one what we've ever heard of!

In a new interview posted on the internet on 28 March, Barbara Broccoli says that she thinks a woman will direct a Bond movie one day.

edited April 5

Kathryn Bigelow, please.

That said, she may be teasing Sam Taylor-Johnson (Aaron's wife). If Aaron is seriously in the running, you know that Sam has got her hand up in the air for the directing gig.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Sam Taylor-Johnson is certainly talented but she doesn't have much of a resume for directing anything with action. I also do believe EON would not want to get entangled in a situation where the new Bond's wife is directing the film.

I do not always agree with all the choices that EON / Barbara Broccoli make when it comes to Bond, but there appear to be some folks here who just think she is some sort of blithering idiot and that would be quite wrong and absurd.

Now Kathryn Bigelow is a fine action director and also knows how to create real suspense which I believe to be something the next Bond film could use a good dose of.

Oh, I think Sam Taylor-Johnson is all kinds of wrong for a Bond film. My comment wasn't an endorsement, merely a statement that I'm sure that she's eyeing the gig if her husband is indeed 'the guy'.

My comment on Kathryn Bigelow was absolutely legit. I also think that Michelle McLaren should finally get a shot at directing a feature film after countless years in the trenches delivering fantastic work as a director on many television series.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

I can definitely see ATJ as Bond. He is like Pierce Brosnan + Daniel Craig (both 007s hired by Barbara). I found this convincing fanart online

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

Brosnan was Cubby's choice.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Looking at pictures of Sam Neill from 1989's Dead Calm, I really see 007. I think he would have been Daniel Craig before Daniel Craig, maybe even the best Bond had he got the part. He had some edge, something unusual and unexpected. Much like Daniel Craig. It's this type of choice they need for Bond 26, not someone bland and predictable like ATJ

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited April 8

I even think he looks a lot like a young Sean Connery!

DEAD CALM is a really, really solid film too. Man, haven't seen that in decades. I should put that on the rewatch list.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Sam Neill is one of the great lost opportunities of OO7, but I fear the style of the 80s movies would not have suited him; by the 90s I think he was suddenly too big a 'name' after Jurassic Park.