Six Degrees Of Sean Connery

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Richard Briers appeared in Kenneth Branagh's Henry V (one of my all-time favourite films) along with Brian Blessed. Blessed starred in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves with Kevin Costner who was also in The Untouchables with...Sean Connery!

Lorne Greene.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    edited February 2022

Lovely stuff! Although you could have cut yourself a link there: Sir Sean was in Prince of Thieves of course! 😁

I realised that afterwards, good job I like a challenge 😁.

Actually, I thought he was in Robin Hood: Men in Tights!

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff

😁 Patrick Stewart in that one.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Richard Briers was the voice of Fiver in Watership Down. Michael Graham Cox was the voice of Bigwig. Michael Graham Cox appeared in A Bridge Too Far with Sir Sean Connery.

Sir Paul McCartney

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent

Apologies @The Domino Effect I see I skipped your go!

Okay. Lorne Greene appeared in The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory with Alec Baldwin. Alec Baldwin appeared in The Hunt for Red October with Sir Sean Connery.

Sir Paul McCartney

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited February 2022

Sir Paul was in Help! with Alfie Bass, who was in Moonraker with... let's say Lois Maxwell ( 😊 ) who was in Dr No with Sir Sean Connery! 😁

Okay... how about Fred Astaire?

That's a nice one too. I can forsee A Bridge Too Far coming up quite a lot in this game! 🤣

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Richard Briers was in Fathom with Raquel Welch, who was in Fantastic Voyage with Donald Pleasance who was with Sean Connery in You Only Live Twice - I'm quite pleased with fitting in a Bond connection there.

Fred Astaire was in "The Towering Inferno" with Steve McQueen, who was in "The Great Escape" with Donald Pleasence who was in YOLT with Sir Sean.

Lady Gaga

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

Easy (with IMDB - I confess!). Lady Gaga was in "A star is Born" with Alec Baldwin who was in "Hunt for the Red October" with Sean Connery.

I say Groucho Marx.

Groucho Marx's final on-screen performance was in The Candidate which starred Robert Redford. Redford starred in Out of Africa with Klaus Maria Brandauer who was in Never Say Never Again with SC...

I IMDB'd the Groucho list, I will confess, but the rest was un-IMDB'd.

Next up, America's (Canadian) sweetheart: Mary Pickford.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent

Mary Pickford was a silent movie star. Sean Connery is now silent.

Next: Brian Cant off Play Away.

(Having thrown his stink bomb, @Napoleon Plural runs away)

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Mary Pickford was a huge star 100 years ago. She was one of the founders of United Artists, who of course backed many James Bond movies.

Mary Pickford was in Secrets with Leslie Howard who was in Gone With The Wind with Vivien Leigh who was in A Streetcar Named Desire. Marlon Brando was in that movie, so was in Free Money with Donald Sutherland who was in The Eagle has Landed with Michael Caine who was in The Man Who Would Be Kind with Connery.

That's seven steps. Can anyone do better, maybe based of what've found out?

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

you must have run a high powered computer program to map out all the trillions of possible permutations to come up with that!

you did indeed find a solution, and thats better than any of us.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

we can skip a few steps with Leslie Howard. He was in The Petrified forest with Bogart, who made a bunch of films with Lauren Bacall and one with Ingrid Bergman. both actresses were in Murder on the Orient Express

(and yes I had to look at his wikipedia entry to spot The Petrified Forest. I was thinking he might have been in a Hitchcock film, but i was wrong)

I think we can follow a lot of possible connections just via Murder on the Orient Express

edited February 2022

Oh Orient Express, lovely stuff. I had gone the Gone With The Wind route too and thought there must be some way that Clark Gable>Burt Lancaster would work out but I couldn't think of anything.

One of the things I enjoy about this game is the mental gymnastics I perform before I start digging. A Bridge Too Far is a goodie as others have pointed out, and now Murder on the Orient Express is likewise rather useful. Sometimes my intuition sends me down the wrong path completely, however, like when I was digging around Spice World !!

@The Domino Effect you suggested Mary Pickford

have we figured it out yet or is there a quicker connection you had in mind?

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,221MI6 Agent

Mary Pickford was in Secrets with C. Aubrey Smith, who formed the Hollywood Cricket Club in which David Niven played and who starred in Escape To Athena with Telly Savalas, who was in OHMSS with Lois Maxwell, who was Moneypenny to Sean Connery in say… FRWL.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

thats five steps and one isnt a film its a cricket club! I already did it in four

but Escape to Athena has a lot of Bond alumni so thats a good link to remember. Even the Girl from UNCLE is in that one!

I didn't have a connection at all when I posed Mary Pickford, I was just trying to be difficult 😁. I did think that there might be a route via Douglas Fairbanks, however. I'm impressed with what has been found. I'm getting the feeling that everyone who has ever appeared in a film can be connected to SC in seven steps or less!

can I go then? I got one!

Salvador Dali

not that he acted, but he contributed content. Can be done two ways, in two steps either way

Ooooh....nice one.

This doesn't count, but... Salvador Dali was the friend of a local restaurant owner. Once, whilst dining in that restaurant I saw the Canadian actor Graham Greene who was in Dancing With Wolves with Kevin Costner who was in The Untouchables with...

Now I'll let someone have a real crack at it.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Ok, here goes- Salvador Dali was set to play the Emperor in Jodorowski’s Dune, which was also going to star Orson Welles as the Baron Harkonnen; Welles was a voice artist in Transformers the Movie, as was Leonard Nimoy, who starred in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers alongside Donald Sutherland, who was in The First Great Train Robbery with…Sean Connery.

Jodorowsky’s Dune was never made, unless you count the documentary from a few years ago.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Or

Dali designed the dream sequence in Spellbound, directed by Hitchcock who also directed Marnie starring…Sean Connery.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    edited February 2022

Didn't Dali help design the dream sequence in Spellbound? Ingrid Bergman was in that movie. Bergman was also in Murder on the Orient Express with Connery.

edited February 2022

yup, @Smithers500 got it first and five minutes later @Number24 figured out the second possible path, both in two moves

That Dune connections interesting cuz he wouldve actually acted, and I didnt know, but thats several more steps

anyway thats essentially a tie, because I knew there was two possible paths and both correct answers arrived almost simultaneous.

Let say whichever of the two of you posts quickest gets to make the next challenge, its a race!

EDIT and since Hitchcock does a cameo in every movie he kinda sorta counts as an actor as well as a director

I say Kenneth Brannagh