Craig for Bond 26?

2»

Comments

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent

A bit harsh. She's only stating a fact, Universal does officially have an unannounced project for 1 November.

Let it go? Never! 🤣

And whatever happened to this?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/new-james-bond-no-casting-talk-until-2022-says-007-producer-barbara-broccoli-1235021121/

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent
    edited February 4

Although I don't believe one second in Craig's return, I must admit using TMWTGG as a plot twist is quite tasty. Not for the novel itself which is pretty average IMHO, but mainly because it could lead to have Bond 27 being...With a mind to kill, probably the most ambitious and original novel ever written after FRWL. Thanks again Mr Horowitz for such a brilliant job !

Having a Bond film based upon this plot would be an absolute delight to me, no matter the actor. But it can't be done properly without dealing with Bond's brainwashing in Fleming's last novel, and the ending of NTTD could be an opportunity to do that. But considering MGW has been allergic to any single continuation novel since the John Gardner imbroglio in the 80s, I'm not very optimistic about it. Such a pity because they did use Colonel Sun (TWINE, Sp), so why such a boycott ?

@Someone what do you think ?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

I think using the start of TMWTGG is a good idea. However I don't want Bond to be the one who gets caught by the enemy. Instead they should establish another 00-agent in a few scenes in Bond26 and use the TMWTGG twist in B27 or B28. I think there's a risk of Bond coming across as weak if he's the agent who is caught by the enemy. It might work, but not in B26 before the actor is established in the role.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    edited February 5

I think the brainwashing thing is a bit naff and more like a silly Man from UNCLE plot so I don't think they should go near it (nor the amnesia plot which leads up to it- it's just too close to pulp tosh nowadays), but I certainly agree that it's not how you introduce your new Bond. He's got to be established to be in control to start with. Otherwise when he gets 'de-conditioned' you might start to wonder whether the martini-swilling, lady bedding suave persona is a result of brainwashing from M's side this time! 😄

If it's well acted and played straight like the 2004 version of the Manchurian Candidate starring Densel Washington it could work I think. That was far from The Man from UNCLE.

But we absolutely agree that starting with Bond getting kidnapped and brainwashed is a very bad way to start an actor's tenure in the role.

NTTD used YOLT's Garden of Death and in the book Bond loses his memory, not his life as would appear to be the case in NTTD, so I think if they pretend in Bond26 DC's Bond didn't die, then using the end of literary YOLT and using TMWTGG's plot for Bond26 makes sense, but I agree with the other comments here, an amnesiac Bond for launching a new Bond in Bond26 wouldn't work and people would say they were copying the original Bourne movie.

Or have the new Bond go up against a brainwashed double-0.

Actually my point was about the possibility of having the plot of With a mind to kill for Bond 27, but the necessary condition for it is to have Bond brainwashed before, something the ending of NTTD could lead to if Craig returns (wasn't it the initial topic of this thread ?). Unfortunately, we both know it is very unlikely, not to say impossible (he doesn't intend to and NTTD was made precisely to close his tenure).

But I insist on the fact Horowitz's third (and last) Bond novel is a pure masterpiece, with a climax I still can't believe in. What a delightful experience it was to read it ! Having a modern Bond film dealing with this plot could make sense considering the stakes and the current global context, and most of all, it would be an absolute dream as a Bond fan who desperately misses genuine spy thrillers like FRWL, FYEO and TLD !

• Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent

I'm down for Craig to return!

1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
  • impact4444impact4444 Posts: 11MI6 Agent

Hello all!

To be very honest - and - I hope I won't get death threats, I didn't like Craig at first. After viewing the movies - over a period of 2 weeks and seeing it like one story - he kinda grew on me. But, I have to agree that his time is done. Not only the age is there - but, if he came back - same actor - as James Bond, it would sort of of "cheapen" the whole point of NTTD.

I hope the next Bond is as dynamic, but that the time between movies will be shorter.

I very many who didn't like Craig at first, so I think you're fairly safe from death threats. 😏