FRIDAY 4th. March 18:00 GMT: Let‘s watch NO TIME TO DIE together

1789101113»

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,372Chief of Staff

Not interested in MI, you guys go ahead without me.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent

Well, we haven't decided yet. We're considering the options.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,969MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

I like the idea of doing the Bond films again in watchalongs but if that happened we might need a different angle to keep it fresh. One idea could be to watch them again with particular DVD commentary tracks playing. A problem with that could be where some folk access the movies on streaming or in home entertainment formats which lack the special edition commentaries, but of course there would always be an option for anyone to watch the film without a commentary playing. On the plus side, it would almost seem as if Bond luminaries were involved in the watchalongs, many of them sadly no longer with us. Roger Moore's commentaries were always good value, for example, and paced leisurely. John Cork's commentaries on the early ones were rather earnest, but he included recordings of comments by the original filmmakers from archived interviews, many of them gems. The likes of Guy Hamilton, Tom Mankiewicz, John Glen and MGW provided affable and informative 'easy listening'.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

I agree new Bond watchalongs need something to keep it fresh if we are to do them now, because the same people doing the same thing a year later doesn't appeal a lot to me. If we wait a year or so and get some new people with us it would be a different matter. I'm not sure what the new twist would be, but istening to commentaries while doing the watchalong doesn't sound like it to me, I'm open to more ideas.

I'd like to thank Higgins again for doing the watchalong last night! 😀

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,271MI6 Agent

While I didn't attend the watchalong, it was great fun reading your comments post-event. Some nice observations and a good dose of irreverent humour. 😁

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

shady tree sez:

When Safin just shrugs off the fact that Mathilde wanders off, "If you don't want my protection, off you go...!" I can't fathom his motivation at that point... it just all seems to be in the service of the plot, to allow mother and daughter to be quickly reunited and safely rescued.

I think Shakespeare handled this scene much better, though I'm biased

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent

shady tree:

"I'm going to tell you a story. About a man. His name was Bond. James Bond." That's a great final line. Quite 'meta', what with Bond being only a story.

I've said it before, but one of my favourite aspects of the film is it begins and ends from Madeleine's point of view, making it a bit like Fleming's the Spy Who Loved Me. Therefor everything that happens in between is arguably told from her unreliable point of view, and maybe thats why CraigBond seems such a loser and why they dont have on-screen chemistry (I know I'm stretching here but it works as an explanation)

surely not an appropriate story to tell a toddler, even the daughter of James Bond. but maybe also why theres no sex scenes!

edited March 2022

Yes, there's certainly a hint of Vivienne Michel in the tone of that last line. Bond is in the past tense, she motors off but she has a memory to hold on to... of the spy who loved her. The presence of Mathilde makes it sunnier, of course.

edited March 2022

I think Jason Bourne is a natural watchalong material. The series influenced the Bond movies - in a positive way for CR and negatively in QoS. Like MI many people own or have access to the movies. I think The Bourne Identity is the most influential and perhaps the best in the series. For Mission Impossible I suggest the first one from 1996, Ghost Protocol, Rouge Nation or Fallout. The others are not as memorable.

I'm sure the Flint movies are fun, but they're less famous and not that many people own them.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,372Chief of Staff

How about Matt Helm? There are 4 movies available.

Same reply.

edited March 2022

I actually have Our Man Flint on dvd, but not these newfangled films!

but as always, the eurocentric groupwatch times fall right in the middle of my workday, so I doubt I'll be joining even if I do have the film

but I bet a few of these older ones are up on YouTube or archive.org or other online sources

edited March 2022

I have all the Matt Helm films, the The Man from Uncle telemovies and I could get the Flint films. I also have A Shot In The Dark, bought when it was under consideration for a watchalong as the sequel to The Pink Panther.

Let's start a very unformal and unscientific poll. Not to decide what will be the next watchalong, but to give us a feelling of what's realistic. I'll list the movies that's been suggested and people can reply if they are willing and able to watch them with others.

Mission Impossible 1; Yes

MI: Ghost Protocol: Yes

MI: Rogue Nation: Yes

MI: Fallout: Yes

The Bourne Identity: Yes

Our man Flint: Willing, but not able

In like Flint; Willing, but not able

The Silencers; Willing, but not able

Murderers' row: Willing, but not able

The ambushers: Willing, but not able

The wrecking crew: Willing, but not able

all four Matt Helm films are here on something called Public Domain Tube

not sure if that website name is legally precise, but there they are

edited March 2022

a couple of the Man from UNCLE films are on archive.org, I'll see if I can find the links.

aside from the first two, the one I'd most like to see is Spy in the Green Hat, as I thought that was the best of two parts episodes and the villains were awesome, especially Janet Leigh

the very first one To Trap a Spy is worth watching as it introduces the whole UNCLEverse, and has Luciana Paluzzi a year before Thunderball basically playing the same character. and a blink-and-youll-miss-im cameo from Richard Kiel

yes here on archive.org is One Spy Too Many (the third one) and The Spy with My Face (the second one)

One Spy Too Many has Dorothy Provine, who later did her own spyspoof with Terry Thomas Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die , she's kooky

archive.org is a pain to search but probably has the other UNCLE films in there as well

edited March 2022

Good suggestions, Gymkata. I'd like to ad:

HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER

The Matt Helm and Flint movies on Youtube makes those watchalongs possible for me, but not practical. I'd have to watch the movie in a small window while reading and posting in a second window.

edited March 2022

I'm watching "The silencers" for the first time. Gritty, serious and politically correct. I like it a lot!

dont forget we have an official Matt Helm thread for when you file your report!

you raise good practical issue regarding a watchalong with an online source, especially if you have only one computer

also peoples connection reliability could cause it to hang and pause and fall out of sync with others watching on dvd, and I wonder if its even be the same speed if it played without issue?

still those films at least are out there and I think I might watch In Like Flint myself this weekend since I havent seen it in decades. do I need to watch the first one again to get any important continuity details? also do we have an official Derek Flint thread?