Movie Posters

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff

I'm familiar with all of those except the Titanic movie, which I've never heard of. I probably won't watch it, though, having seen the more famous version.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Quite popular in its day and a big critical hit, but too short at 90-odd minutes to do justice to the unfolding disaster. Now, it isn't given much regard. I've never seen it and never seen it advertised on TV listings either.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    edited October 2023

A young Robert Wagner plays a role that Leonardo DiCaprio’s Jack was more than loosely based upon. It’s a decent enough movie and as @chrisno1 says it could have done with another half hour of character building.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

On the Book Covers thread we’ve been talking about how cover illustrations can sell books - these Hammer movie posters do just that…

The Lost Continent is a real guilty pleasure for me, for some reason I just adore this movie!

You can't see it, but trust me that these are bringing a smile.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

For some reason Poland has a tradition of using their own art instead of the origional art on posters, and some of them are very interesting and experimental:

Alien:

Terminator:

Always happy to oblige, @Barbel

And here’s some more great posters from the 60’s…

I’m not enamoured by today’s bland photographic movie posters but that brilliant director Quentin Tarantino always ensures that the posters for his films are very good…

Agreed, esp the second one which wouldn't have looked out of place years earlier

A mixed bag of horrors all enhanced by the artwork.

One of my favourites (House of Frankenstein), one I can't stand (Hammer's remake of Old Dark House), one I've never seen but would like to (Blood of Dracula's Castle), one I've never seen but wouldn't like to (Vampire Hookers). A real mixed bag, as you say, and some lovely artwork.

Some more of those great double bills from way back then…

Some very interesting films there, CHB. "Mean Dog Blues" looks like a ripoff of the one your name comes from, even having George Kennedy in the cast.

"Darker Than Amber" is one of the rare film versions of the Travis McGee books, a series you'll know more about than me, and is a strange movie which I believe has a cult following (or did, anyway).

"Sicilian Cross" I started watching for the obvious reason, but it was so bad I gave up.

However, those posters are vivid and eye-catching, and do their job in tempting one to watch the movie!

I’ve never heard or seen of the movie Mean Dog Blues before seeing this poster - I’m going to have to search it out - especially if Kay Lenz gets her kit off.

Darker Than Amber is a good film, I always thought Rod Taylor would have made a good Bond. The McGee books sold well.

Ditto with your Sicilian Cross thoughts, I hope the pay cheque was good for Roger.

I have a soft spot for The Giant Spider Invasion - a perfect pulp horror movie 🙂

These are just simply great posters…

Susannah York was absolutely sizzling in Sands Of The Kalahari - phew!

This weeks selection…

And some Hammer pre-publicity posters for movies that in the end never got produced - more’s the pity as I would have loved to have seen these!

Ah, dated SF/horror with dreadful FX and lower budgets than the average household - exactly my kind of thing.

Love those posters, the clickbait of their day. The one I now have to see is "Cat Girl"- I know nothing about it, but Barbara Shelley is enough reason to watch.

I don't think many would disagree that the above version of "Hound" is the best actual film of that selection, and yes "Zeppelin Vs Pterodactyl" sounds a brilliant idea.

Cat Girl is the only one I haven’t seen as well, if you find it anywhere let me know, please!

Some good action artwork on these…

Nice artwork as you say, CHB. "The Venetian Affair" isn't as exciting as the poster, despite the presence of not one but two essential requirements for a 60s spy movie- Elke Sommer and Luciana Paluzzi.

"The Dirty Dozen", on the other hand, definitely is although not exactly as the poster implies.

I haven’t seen The Venetian Affair for about 50 years, I must try and catch up with it, I’ve forgotten everything about it! And it’s got Robert Vaughn and Boris Karloff too 😁

Breaking into this thread to plug the first installment of the Christmas Special, it’s ready to read now!

The AJB007 Christmas Special 2023 — ajb007

It’s Karloff Day - and a healthy dose of The Bride…

Some more horror movie posters…

Monster movies…

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent

Of all the reasons why OHMSS didn't do as well at the box office as it might have - and that's disputed - few ever mention the poster. But perhaps the ought to. The sight of the new Bond in a tux and on skis heading down the slopes... it doesn't quite work for me and certainly didn't when I first saw it as a kid. It's okay with Bond and the jet pack on the Thunderball poster, in fact the scene would have been better had he looked like that rather than wearing his helmet for safety reasons as insisted upon by the stuntman... it's okay seeing Bond in the tux in Little Nellie on the YOLT poster though that's not what we saw in the film. But a suit and tie while skiing... looks naff.

So surely the only seasonal looking OHMSS poster you might have framed and placed in your front room over Christmas, leaving the light on so the neighbours can pass and see it, would be this magnificent German print here...

Fancy a copy? It will cost you only about £1000 on eBay. Gulp...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Why on Earth did they ruin that gorgeous poster by placing the white dot film details where they did - it’s atrocious planning.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Going back a few posts - When the Earth Cracked Open - it sucked off my bikini top ???

I’m glad you typed bikini top @chrisno1 🤪

Always nice to see this great poster for a great 60’s spy spoof…

And these posters for some old classics are nice too…

And finally a guilty pleasure for me - a Rod Serling script about a robbery at sea using a refurbished U-boat - fabulous fun…