No Time to Die

DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent
edited November 2022 in The James Bond Films

Here are my questions below about No Time to Die. Let me preface it by commenting that the story ended in my humble opinion far too dramatic, traumatic and depressing. In a way I can't see how a new Bond could simply be back with a reincarnated James Bond after this ending. James Bond was to represent all the heroic aspects of every film, BUT also the survival of the hero who saves the world, James Bond, and in a light mood.  

1) In Craig's universe what happens to the work of one little organization called MI6 without Bond?

2) I didn't understand exactly the background of Safin and his parents that led to the confrontation with Blofeld and Spectre? What did Madeline know about her father over her lifetime after the death of her mother by Safin?

3) If Safin was so powerful with that island fortress what was he doing for all the previous years prior to the film's events, especially with the existence of Spectre?

4) What was Spectre itself doing all the years before it was discovered?

5) At the end of the film, how was it possible for the admiral of the British ship to take orders from the head of MI6 with no apparent direct involvement of the British government?

7) As in previous films, how was it possible for all the Spectre and Safin operations to exist without the the slightest awareness of the intelligence services of any countries and so much penetration by their operatives into the intelligence services of the countries?.

8) How did the producers of the film have the authority and ability to have such a small child playing Mathilde in scenes of so much violence and sadness, and how did she cooperate so well?

9) If Spectre tried to kill Bond in Italy even after Bond retired, how could he have lived so freely for five years, never having to look over his shoulder or even seek out Madeline? 

10) Why was M unable to find and track Bond for 5 years with Smart blood?

11) How could the memorial to Bond only include M, Tanner, Q, Nomi and Moneypenny? Surely a very large team was involved with Bond. Plus all of them should have gotten more credit since without them Bond would never have succeeded.

12) What exactly is the location of Q during Nomi and Bond's work on the island? Was he alone flying a plane?

13) Will Bond's love interests always be young enough to be his daughter? In the case of Madeline, she probably wasn't even 30, and he was in his fifties?

14) What could be the "future" of Madeline and Mathilde after Bond's death, and what would be the "future" of the 00 department and main heroes? Will Mathilde ever know that Bond was her father, or will Madeline ever recover from what happened to her?

Comments

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

I have so many questions in the film, the same as yours, here's the other ones (I have 11 questions so far):

1. How do really Nanobots function? If they're meant to kill people within the same DNA, then why Safin told Madeleine to kill Blofeld? Then why Bond killed Blofeld, they're not relatives? And why Bond didn't die from the time that the nanobots were spread in the Cuba Party?

- And we saw how those SPECTRE Agents died in that Cuba Party when the virus has been spread, then why the same thing didn’t happened to Blofeld and instead we saw him just closed his eyes, like sleeping, why he’s not bleeding nor have any bruise, and at least should chasing his breath and having some sort of seizures right? As a reaction to the virus.

- And why all SPECTRE agents died in Cuba when they should be just a carrier who can kill their relatives like what happened to Bond in the end when Safin infected him? And if we’re going to that Cuba scenes, then Bond should also suffer the same as those SPECTRE agents when Safin infected him at the end right?

2. How Blofeld encrypted Madeleine's phone?

3. If Craig's timeline was meant to be a reboot (a separate timeline), why there were the portraits of different Ms from the classic era, that even includes Bernard Lee and Robert Brown?

4. In the Norway chase, how come Bond's car, despite of it being the lesser size than those vehicles of the enemies could be able to defeat those bigger cars than his?

5. The same in the Norway scenes, why Bond let Madeleine hold the gun and have him (Bond himself) carry the child?

6. How Bond tracked Madeleine in Norway? And how did he arrived there very quickly just using his car?

7. Why no one in the CIA had ever detected that Logan Ash was indeed a double agent?

8. How did no one in the MI6 had found out that Madeleine had a child?

9. Why Madeleine became Blofeld’s psychiatrist given her past connections with him?

10. Also if my memory serves Madeleine left that perfume bottle (eau de nanobots) in a sink in the comfort room, so if a Janitor or whoever else who entered that comfort room and found that bottle, there’s a possibility that they’ve touched and picked it up too, then they will touched those other Belmarsh staffs and passing it in to one another?

11. And as Tanner said (about Safin's island lair) that it’s been detected before that there’s some suspicious activity in the island, if that came from United Nations, then why they didn’t investigated it? Why wait for MI6? And other than Bond and Nomi, where's the other agents and some INTERPOL? They should also be in Safin’s lair, they should have a backup, also CIA should also be there along with Bond and Nomi right? Where are the CIA agents? What are they're doing at the time?

12. Why Nomi arrived late in Norway?

• DovyDovy Posts: 206MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

I love it ... Excellent questions. You pay alot closer attention than I do! About Heracles. How does it infect Spectre people DNA specifically?! Great job

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff

I'll take number 13.

This started when Roger Moore was cast as Bond with Jane Seymour (and secondary girl Gloria Hendry, too) being easily young enough to be his daughter. This became the norm during Sir Roger's tenure- not coincidentally, he was the oldest actor to play Bond.

It wasn't the norm for Connery (until the unofficial NSNA, anyway), Lazenby (obviously), Dalton (Lupe comes close though) or Brosnan (Christmas makes it narrowly).

It's become more routine with the most recent Bond actor but it's still not 100% (Monica Bellucci is a shade older, for example, and Eva Green isn't young enough to be Craig's daughter.).

Madeleine was 30 at the time of Spectre, or at least her actress was, while Bond's actor was 47.

The James Bond actor with the the most female co-stars young enough to be his daughter? David Niven, of course - and all in the one movie. 😁

So, Bond's love interests have not always been young enough to be his daughter therefore there's no reason to suspect that the future ones will be

edited November 2022

What about Olga Kurylenko (Camille Montes) and Gemma Arterton (Strawberry Fields)?

I was giving examples rather than exhaustive lists.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,951MI6 Agent

dovy said:

1) In Craig's universe what happens to the work of one little organization called MI6 without Bond?

thats easy: they hire a new 007, M builds a bioweapon of mass destruction, and Moneypenny Q and Tanner do whatever they want whenever they want without supervision

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent

I take number 13 too! The producers have said they're looking for an actor in his 30's to play Bond, so obviously the Bond girls won't be young enough to be his daughter. That is, at least not in the first movies. When the actor reaches his forties that can change, but we have to remember such age differences aren't unique to the Bond franchise. It's been common since the early days of cinema and it happens fairly often in real life too.

Well, we see alot of situations where the love interest was quite a bit younger than Bond!

Actually, it's a thing in the Fleming books, a lot more worse to the point that Bond (A middle aged guy), flirting women whose in their twenties!

Actually, if taken into this observation, you might realized that the films were a lot more progressive in terms of age difference, but I'm still considering those in the Moore Era and the Craig-Seydoux partnership in NTTD, where I think the age difference is really obvious.

edited November 2022

It just didn't seem right to have Madeline so much younger than Bond in Spectre and No Time To Die......He was 17 years older than her, although it seemed more. She looks like about 25, and he looks around 50. What would the movie (or other Bond movies) have been like had the age gap been much less. Say, no more than 10 years?

To make matters more interesting, I don't agree that a new Bond should be only in his 30s so as to allow the same actor to be around as Bond for 10-15 years. The Bond around 40+ exhibits experience and maturity. The young guy is only in it for the fun, sex and glory...... But I can't get out of my head the comment by Judi Dench, that Craig's Bond was too gloomy. That's much basic feeling now. Depressing, depressed, insecure, reluctant hero, I felt it with Dalton and Craig, and a sense of insecurity with Brosnan. I am close to voting up Connery and Moore for supreme confidence, the undefeated hero with maturity and experience. I know this might seem totally unrealistic, but that's what I liked most about them, being upbeat.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,951MI6 Agent

interesting graph

so Diana Rigg was a year older than Lazenby?

and Honor Blackman was the oldest by far for most of the period covered (and I think in the books Pussy Galore was the only one in her 30s, so that casting was accurate to the character)

the graph only shows the age of the primary BondGirls (the ones who make it to the LifeRaft in the final scene). It would not have included Monica Belluci if SPECTRE had been included. I wonder if any other secondary BondGirls were a bit more mature?

edited November 2022

Yes, but Diana Rigg and George Lazenby are both nearly the exact same age, Lazenby's 29 while Diana Rigg was 30 at the time, and I think it's for the better, as it made the romance a lot more believable and convincing.

Yes, I do agree about Blackman, she's partially accurate age wise, but in terms of appearance, Pussy in the books had Violet Eyes and Black Hair, but Blackman's casting was really great in terms of age and the way she's depicted.

It's a great idea to both cast Blackman and Rigg in their respective roles.

About your question, about those other matured secondary Bond Girls:

Apart from Monica Bellucci, I would also add Cassandra Harris as also one of the matured secondary/minor Bond Girls, the same for Maud Adams as Andrea Anders.

From another poster's posting I was struck with the notion that we really don't know for sure that Bond died in the island in the explosion. The explosion happened and Bond was just standing there I suppose somewhere there's a scenario for how he survived and how he got away, leaving all his colleagues and Madelyn thinking he was dead. Hmmm.....now there's a weird story. But a Bond already had one previous funeral if I remember correctly.....He could always end up up doing a DNA switch and come through as the next Bond...😉😉..

edited December 2022

I think the ending of NTTD was done deliberately that way to remove any doubt that Bond died. Since the release of the movie we've learned tha there is no way to kill bond that removes absolutely all doubt that he died.

I hate to repeat old material, but since I know @Dovy is not reading old threads and is making a request, here are three ways I thought Bond might survive:

1) there was a weather balloon on the roof just out of camera range which Craig caught hold of, and the blast carried him safely away from the island. We all like this one, as it is from Fleming

2) there was a fridge on the floor below the roof which Bond took shelter in, just like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Nobody liked that Indiana Jones movie so nobody likes this idea.

3) the explosion caused a tear in the spacetime continuum, and CraigBond is now in another plane of the multiverse where he and BrosnanBond and all the other Bonds will team up against Thanos in the next film. Whether you like this one or not depends on how much you like the Marvel movies.

There is also this idea (NTtD cowriter) Robert Wade came up with : Spoiler- James Bond to possibly be cloned in Bond 26, and like it or not, its actually the most logical explanation.

Caratacus, I am new to this forum in general and there is a lot to digest. I have the same issue on other forums. Perhaps if forums would have direct pointers to specific issues or sub-issues pertaining to each film, with their own search methods. I'm just throwing up it out. Because when you do regular searches it brings up relevant words within a bunch of postings, and you don't always know whether a particular posting is connected to what you're looking for.

edited December 2022

Caractacus I m reading this last posting of yours closely. I realize also that the producers must have had Bond surviving because they decided to add "James Bond will be back" which strongly indicates that whoever is Bond will be Craig's Bond through some metamorphosis, EVEN if the new guy is younger and friendlier than Craig's Bond. You injected a lot of humor in that posting, but something is going to suggest that Bond did survive. After all the explosion appears far away from him where he's standing.

Sorry, Dovy, I don't see that at all. "James Bond Will Return" is at the end of all (well, almost all) Bond movies and has nothing to do with Craig.

edited December 2022

Well it could be a double entendre. That the Bond in NTTD didn't actually die ....

...or that it doesn't matter if he did since the character is bigger than whoever the current actor playing him is.

its OK @Dovy as I said in that other thread, your recent contributions here have been quite successful in stirring up conversation about the classic films, whatever you're doing is working and please continue. Passively reading old threads would not have the same effect, and we really want the activity in our forum to grow

that said, when I know there's already a thread that addresses some of your questions I'll try to post a link to it so you can read more if you like. For example, the thread ENDING of NO TIME TO DIE - Opinions and theories - SPOILER has a lot of analysis of that final scene of NTtD and theories how could Bond have survived (most think we actually see him vapourised, and there's a sequence of screenshots near the end of that thread demonstrating that. Memory of the film may be flawed, but the screenshots show one missile landed right on top of our hero). Also in that thread, and what amuses me, is that there were actually three different endings filmed, the other two locked away in a vault somewhere. Hopefully they will leak one day.

All I think I saw was the explosion in the distance, a d then off the scene. I didn't see anything like vaporizing, and we sure don't see a dead body. So.. James Bond Will Return !!

The ending of NTTD is totally inconclusive after the explosion in the distance. We see nothing after that. Only James Bond Will Return. That's a subtle hint from the producers. How they integrate it is anyone's guess. Just my two cents.

I commented on that thread. The ending is inconclusive, and James Bond Will Return......!!

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited December 2022

Actually, It’s very conclusive. Two missiles virtually land on top of him. He’s engulfed and vapourised.

As someone else posted in a ten page thread on this very subject… These are exceptionally powerful missiles, not bullets and you clearly see one land right in front and behind him and then he’s engulfed in the explosion as he just stands there and faces it. Everything in that vicinity is vapourised and destroyed. Which is what was needed to destroy the nanobots

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Except that there seemed some distance between him and the explosion...All I saw was the explosion in the distance and nothing else except from the ocean that the island was on fire. So one would say that presumably he was killed. But anyway, "James Bond Will Return". So we'll just wait and see what happens. If course the longer it takes for the new film to appear the more likely it will be some kind of reboot unconnected with Craig's Bond or anyone else. In Craig's case as the same actor we saw a gap of films of some 7 years between two films

Didn't we just. 🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited December 2022

Watch it again. You see them land right in front and behind him and possibly right on top, as it all happens so quickly. You couldn’t get more clearer unless you showed gore and limbs flying all over the place, which no one wants to see in a Bond film, let alone Bond himself being splattered gorily into oblivion.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............