'On His Majesty's Secret Service' by Charlie Higson (2023)

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,396Chief of Staff

OHMSS2? Fine by me.

That's the signed edition ordered.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent

The alternative was OHiMSS, which sounds like "Oh, hi, miss". Best to be avoided I think. 🙂

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

Oh, I am sorry. Didn't realise you'd come up with it first. I don't want to steal your thunder. 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

Haha! I was only kidding: I rather like OHiMSS too!

How about OHM2S? 😁

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,625Chief of Staff

If I can add a brag as well…I have all of Mr. Higson’s Young Bond books signed 🤗

@emtiem….which one do you mean…?

This…?

Or this…?

Or a different one entirely? 🤔

And many thanks for the link to the new one 🍸

YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,396Chief of Staff

I have just realised (had to check) that the signed Higson I have is "Double Or Die" 😃

And thanks @emtiem, forgot to mention that earlier.

I knew you were joking. It's OK. I was being jovial too.

OHM2S - now that's good! 😊

Nice work: I remember enjoying that one. I need to go back and give a couple of them a re-read- I remember them being great fun.

😁

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,281MI6 Agent

Nice looking cover. I have an aversion to hardback books, but this might have to be bought.

It’ll only be a slim little thing, it’s not a full length novel.

Yes, that's a good point. It shouldn't take up too much valuable shelf space. 😊

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Thanks for the link to the limited edition, emtiem. I had been checking the Goldsboro website regularly as I thought they might produce something, but you were still first to me with the news. Copy ordered!

I have not read any of Charlie Higson's books despite hearing positive reviews from many on here. I am very much looking forward to OHiMSS2b and have just ordered SilverFin and will give it a whirl as well. It would be nice if this Coronation/Anniversary year special gave his sales a bit of a boost for him personally as well.

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent

What are the differences between the standard and special editions? I can't see anything other than the special edition being signed and numbered out of 1000. Does it have a different cover or any extra material in the book? Thanks.

I would have thought being signed and numbered is the only difference, yes. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of bonus stuff as it's been put together so quickly.

I did have a thought though: as it's set in the present day I wonder if it will follow the MI6 setup of Double Or Nothing? I expect it probably won't, but it would kind of make sense if it did, given that that is the current IFP contemporary fictional world of Bond. If I were the editor at IFP I'd probably ask for that.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,952MI6 Agent

thats Kim Sherwood's book about the three other double-oh's isnt it?

I thought the premise was Bond himself was missing in the book, and it was the first of a trilogy. So he should still be missing in that universe

we havent had any reviews or reports since that one came out, did anybody read it?

edited April 2023

I started but lost interest I’m afraid- I don't know if he's still missing at the end or not. I understand Moneypenny is the boss though; it’ll be interesting to see who Bond answers to in OHMSS2.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,146MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

Thanks for Goldsboro link @emtiem

Had already pre-ordered on Amazon but was going to cancel and order from them, however I note that shipment is after the publish date, and I would like to read over the weekend of the coronation, and the £5.50 delivery put me off a bit (call me a tight ass!)

I do like the signed editions and have some Anthony Horowitz copies signed, but will reluctantly forgo on this occasion.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Oh yes I want to read it on the day too (it's fun to have a Bond book happening 'live' as it were!) so I hope it turns up on time.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

I’m in the US so I’ll rely on the digital version for contemporaneous reading. I’ll pick up the hardback for my shelf, assuming the book is good!

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

OHMSS2? OHMS²?

Being in the US as well I think I will go digital as well.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,952MI6 Agent

is it not being released in the States on Coronation Day?

Canada's part of the Commonwealth, Charles III is our unelected monarch too, so hopefully the Canadian publishers remember that and release the book when it supposed to be.

it will lose part of its concept if its released some other date after the Coronation is long forgotten.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,971MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

Yes, thanks for the link, @emtiem

I've ordered a signed copy, but also a copy from amazon to use as a reading copy.

I'm not a staunch royalist - except through the eyes of Bond, so this is just the reading material I'll need for that weekend! If I read it on the day itself it will be early in the morning so as not to miss key coverage of the pageantry.

With UK anti-monarchists apparently seeing the Coronation as a golden opportunity to draw attention to themselves and create a nuisance, I only hope this book doesn't herald any case of life imitating art...

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

I wonder if there will be any reviews ahead of publication? Or perhaps not since it’s all being put together rather quickly. Not that it matters—they’ve already got my money.

There may have been the usual uncorrected proof/advance reader copies sent out to reviewers so that it could be reviewed in time for publication day.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I have just received an email from Waterstones that my copy has shipped. As I live in Canada, it will be touch and go whether it arrives by May 5th, but it confirms that the copy is ready to go.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent

James Bond Radio already have their copy.

I know the book was rushed, but this really does look rather cheap.

James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube

Saw there was an interview with Higson about the book in the Times, but I can’t read it without being a subscriber. Can anyone provide an overview?

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,281MI6 Agent

Quoted from the above, a little off topic, but my sentiments exactly.

Higson is an experienced writer who understands his audience - for comedy, horror and Bond - and when people like him start suggesting the producers might have taken a wrong turn, someone, somewhere really ought to listen...

Higson says there is a formula for Bond. “Guns, cars, a supervillain and a woman. M, Q, Moneypenny. 007 is a fantasy figure who solves things with a fist and doesn’t overthink.”

Which does not sound like the Bond Craig made. He was angst-ridden and even had the heart to fall in love. “I think that was wrong,” Higson says. “I went to see No Time to Die with my oldest boy, Frank, who is 30, and he said, ‘That felt like a Bond film made by people who are embarrassed to make a Bond film.’ You had to watch two films in advance to know who such and such is and you think, ‘Oh, f*** off with that.’ Make it a new mission each episode and let him be Bond.

“They overcomplicate him,” he continues. “The best ‘Bond films’ now are the Mission: Impossibles. There is no inner life, it’s just, ‘Woah! Look at that building — I’d love to climb it and blow things up.’”