Possible future Bond girls

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I think Lily Cole can come across as both aloof and almost alien-like or warm and charming, all depending on acting, light, makeup etc.

3q76s5awqyb11-1.jpg

26de0c855cd68e61031dce38ef7a62bc-1.jpg
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    Lily+Cole+Dress+Hats+Bowler+Hat+HJ2MInhx5dJx.jpg
    she's dressed like Steed and Peel's lovechild!
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Lily Cole has done well both as an actress and as a model, but she hasn't been in a big action/adventure movie yet. Now she's 32, a good age for a Bond girl and she has a striking look.

lily12.jpg

77a6774f0c91f934f3f49508b7802578.jpg

Lily+Cole+Dress+Hats+Bowler+Hat+HJ2MInhx5dJx.jpg

04-Lily-Cole.jpg

Channeling Mrs Peel in one shot
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Lovely Girl and I wish someone would remake the Avengers, such a great show. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent
    For me, Lily Cole doesn't do anything for me, but if she can act well then she can fit into the part.
    "History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Lovely Girl and I wish someone would remake the Avengers, such a great show. -{

Enough with the Remakes, prequels, sequels, reimaginings, alt history. How about something new?
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Absolutely ...... A new Re-make ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited May 2023
    Gemma Arterton spoke about an issue in an interview that I've been thinking about too.
    "There is a whole thing about 'strong women' now. I ask myself why? Not all women are strong"
    "I want to tell stories about all women"

I couldn't agree more. The focus should be on portraying interesting women, not only strong ones. A nervous wreck or a coward can be at least as interesting as a strong woman. The same goes for men, of course.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    It forever makes me sad Gemma so denies her QoS turn. She was great, and gave Fields more depth than I'm sure was on the page, as she has continued to be. Particularly on stage if you ever get the chance in the post-pandemic world.
    edited October 2020
    I hope she'll see the experience in a more positive light in the future.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The focus should be on portraying interesting women, not only strong ones. A nervous wreck or a coward can be at least as interesting as a strong woman. The same goes for men, of course.
    This sounds fair, there should be a range of character types in a longrunning series, and the leather clad martial arts kicking action heroines they keep giving us all seem rather interchangeable. Similar moves, not much backstory, not much personality.
    Yet everybody complains about Stacey Sutton panicking in situations where I know I would be panicking too. Her character did behave in a realistic fashion, but somehow that annoys audiences.

Actually maybe that's what makes characters like Elektra or Camille more interesting: they are each tough and ruthless, similar in that sense to the action heroine types, yet we know enough about their backstory, and see them behave in certain ways that reveals their trauma, that sets them apart as distinct individuals within a formulaic series.
    I remember Marie (Franka Potente) in The Bourne Identity when Bourne and her are attacked in his apartement. The violence is sudden and brutal. This is probably the first time Marie experiences violence of that type, and she reacts by going into shock. Many people, including men, would have reacted in the same way. I don't think it makes her a lesser person, it just makes her realistic and relatable.
    I think it was the actress' choise and it was a good one.

I also like Vesper's reaction in the staircase fight in CR. She reacts with fear, like most people who aren't trained and experienced would have. But on the floor at the bottom when the henchman reaches for the gun, she grabs his hand tries to get the gun from him. I think this is a very good way to show what kind of person she is. Vesper isn't an agent or a soldier who is prepared for violence, but when she has to she has the courage to react and help Bond. Very good.
    I think it's good to have a Bond girl who is trained for combat, but I like it when she has other strengths and other types of courage.
  • JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent
    I am sure she wasn't so sad that she didn't cash the check she was paid. I too hope she changes her tune. It seems like some women have done that in the past.

It forever makes me sad Gemma so denies her QoS turn. She was great, and gave Fields more depth than I'm sure was on the page, as she has continued to be. Particularly on stage if you ever get the chance in the post-pandemic world.
    "History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Number 24, your three previous posts have all been spot-on! There definitely is a difference between strong (i.e. interesting, multidimensional) character writing for women and generic Mary Sue "tough girls".

Edit: Yours too, Caractacus! ;)
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
    edited November 2021

While Wai Ling's fight and action scenes were great in TND I think the character's personality was boring and she had no arch at all. Not that all characters need an arch, but compare Wai Lin to Tracy in OHMSS and Vesper in CR. Both Tracy and Veseper are flawed, but very interesting.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Number 24, your three previous posts have all been spot-on! There definitely is a difference between strong (i.e. interesting, multidimensional) character writing for women and generic Mary Sue "tough girls".

Edit: Yours too, Caractacus! ;)

Agree. Both spot-on! {[]
    "Any of the opposition around..?"

While India must have many millions of Bond fans, we have never seen a major Bond girls from India. I think this is a shame. India has a very big movie industry and there must be a lot of beautiful and talented actresses to chose from.  Disha Patani is one of them. She's 29 years old and she's acted in ten Bollywood movies. Beautiful talent who hasn't broken into major English-language movies yet is just what the Bond series needs.

edited December 2021

Sydney Sweeney is a 24 year old American actress. She played a member of the Manson family in "Once upon a time ..... in Hollywood", but it's on TV she has done most of her work. She was in quality mini-series such as "Sharp objects", "Pretty little liars", "Handmaidens' tale" and "Euphoria". I haven't watched Euphoria, but I understand it's a critically aclaimed series that's very popular among young adults and teenagers. Sort of an American SKAM. That's an age group the Bond franchise has to recruit to stay relevant. Sweeney also competed in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).

Laura Harrier (31). American, was in BlackKlansman, Spiderman: Homecoming etc.

• Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent

Elodie Yung is LONG overdue.

If they are recasting the MI6 crew, i'd even offer her as candidate for the new Moneypenny.

Lily Cole

edited December 2021

Astrid Smeplass (25)

She has a good international singing career, but has now sucessfully branched out to acting with her first lead in a movie.

Samara Weaving (29) daughter of Hugo. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri , Ready or not.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,176MI6 Agent

Ah, yes a definite maybe

• Trigger_MortisTrigger_Mortis Posts: 100MI6 Agent

Only if Hugo is cast as M.

Hugo Weaving has a great, commanding voice. Interesting idea!

It turns out Samara Weaving is actually Hugo's niece, not daughter.

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent

@Trigger_Mortis : I agree, Elodie Yung is on my list of potential Bond Girls in the number one spot.

edited December 2021

I wouldn't mind it if Priyanka Chopra was a cast as a Bond girl.