Post Editor Testing

SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M

Please post any testing posts to experiment with the new editor here.

Here is the official guide on using the editor, ignore the top section as that's about how I switch it on!

https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/13-rich-editor

Simon

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Testing copy and paste

[i]Italics[/i]

[b]Bold[/b]

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Italics

Bold

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Ah! Help me out here!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

@Barbel - When you type the word you want to highlight (on your smartphone screen) simply press your finger down on that word or (presumably) highlight it with your mouse on your PC or laptop. When you do this the word will be highlighted in blue and a little box should come up with the various options of bold, italics etc. Simply click the one you want and it should work for you in highlighting the selected text. The old bracketed code tags don't seem to work any longer on this new forum software so they'll just come up as visible text instead of inserting code.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited March 2021

To better illustrate it here's a screenshot example showing how it should show up for you. Highlighting the text of course also brings up the 'Cut', 'Copy' and 'Select all' options as usual:

Italics

Bold

Getting there- thanks SM!

That's good, Barbel. It'll just take everyone a wee while to get used to the new software. @SiCo's done a good job though.

Indeed he has.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

I think the new bold italic "tagging" is better because you can see how it looks without having to Preview the Post. much cleaner looking, "wysiwig" as they used to say, and it doesn't fight back because of unclosed tags at the last minute.

that same popup thingie also allows you to make a chunk of text into a hyperlink, with the paperclip type symbol on the right.

for example HERE is a link to Roger Moore playing Bond in 1964, in this example the word HERE is the link, I selected it, chose the paperclip type thingie, and pasted in the URL of the Youtube page.

I wish the hyperlink text was more visibly different though, it doesn't stand out against the rest of the text though

I don't know what paragraph code block does

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

let's see if I can actually embed the youtube video directly in my post, that's something we couldn't do with the old forum software

Embed is the third of the four icons at the bottom of this editing window

that seemed to work, can everybody see that?

Yes, I can see it. It's Roger Moore's comic turn as Bond in 1964.

Yes, I can see that.

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M

I wish the hyperlink text was more visibly different though, it doesn't stand out against the rest of the text though

@caractacus potts I am working on that, I need a bit of time to sit down and iron out the styling bugs.

I don't know what paragraph code block does

@caractacus potts I don't really think it does anything other than each time you hit return or enter it is starting a new paragraph block. Maybe it is purely to help you jump out of a list or quote block. However, if you hit enter twice it automatically converts back to a paragraph block.

Simon

You can even do it by just pasting the Youtube URL into the editor and posting. The forum handles the embed itself.

Simon

this testing is fun!

yes those hyperlinks contrast nicely once I post, cyan against the dark background. It's just while editing they don't really contrast.

The ones I posted yesterday I tried to Bold to make stand out, and that had the opposite effect, they came out as bold but white instead of cyan.

edited March 2021

how should Attachment work? can I attach a graphic from my harddrive, instead of image-linking to an existing image somewhere on the web like I always did before?

I'm going to try to Attach the illustration from Berlin Escape

can anybody see that?

I just see the name of the file, not the image itself. Do people then have to download it to see it? that's not quite so useful if that's what it does.

have I only succeeded in overburdening the system with a half megabyte file? (if so I better remove it before my 15 minutes are up!)

EDIT: actually if I rightclick, the image will open in a separate tab. Still not what I was hoping it would do, I was hoping for a way to add images directly from my harddrive.

also, this is my first edited post! that edit icon is not so obvious, its the gear shaped icon in the topright corner.

@caractacus potts - I can see the image from Berlin Escape when I click on it to download it, yes. It also gives you the option of just opening the file too. Great artwork!

can anybody see this?

I dragged the image from File Explorer into the Edit window (I tried copy and pasting but that didn't work, yet dragging it seemed to)

hmmm, and theres an Accessibility icon appears, to somehow make the graphic accessible to blind people?

Silhouette Man , I don't remember where I found the artwork. For all I know I downloaded it from your Blog!

edited March 2021

Yes, I can see the image now. Well done, @caractacus potts!

It's not from my blog I'm afraid. I don't believe I've ever seen it before but I could be forgetting. I have heard of Berlin Esacape of course but I sadly don't have a copy of it in any form.

Tht reminds me that I've got an idea for a new blog article that will hopefully cover some new ground. Currently researching it now.

well I like this! much better to add images directly from my harddrive if possible, I'm sure other websites don't appreciate me image-linking to their graphics, and sometimes those other websites disappear and we end up with dead image links.

Along with being able to embed videos, and being able to see formatting live as I edit, those are all immense improvements!

That leaves the Quote function as the main thing that doesn't work so well as the old software. I'd prefer to be able to just quote a selected part of a previous post, and to be able to disentangle nested quotes. There's probably a way, we just need to experiment further.

oh there's an image upload button, right there between the emoji button and the embed button I already used. Duh, I did it the "reinvent the wheel" way before noticing there's a simpler proper way to do it!

I think this is the cover of the magazine Berlin Escape appeared in, Fleming's name is at bottom left

Silhouette Man how did you insert that screencap near the top of the page? you obviously already figured out a way

(just noticed posts aren't numbered: it's sometimes useful to refer to a post by its number)

@caractacus potts - I inserted that screenshot by simply clicking the second image button at the bottom of the text box I'm typing this post in. When you click on that button it brings up 'Choose an Action' from which you can retrieve photos or images from the files or camera on your smartphone. You just click on the image or images you want and it will put a tick in the corner. You can then upload it here by pressing 'Done' at the bottom of the screen.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    edited March 2021

Thanks for the info - all this is very strange to an old fart such as myself, but you explained it perfectly and I managed to follow what you said…ok, it took me three attempts but 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

YNWA 97
    edited March 2021

@Sir Miles try clicking on the third icon at bottom, called Embed, looks like this

then in the window that appears, paste in your youtube URL

EDIT: ha! you figured it out before I hit post! nevermind...

@SiCo  are we getting paid for this?

can I tell my boss I've been seconded to a more exciting project? or should I say SiCo'nded?

Thanks, I don’t frequent any other message boards and I’m sure this new upgrade will be more familiar to others...I’m trying to learn how this all works so your help has been great 🍸

YNWA 97

I’ve updated the link colour in posts to the blue to help them stand out.

Simon

attempting to post my transcription of the CBC Fleming interview, I found the hard way...

1) there is an upper limit of characters per post, and not that many compared to the old forum software.

2) posts definitely sometimes go missing when attempting to edit! it happened at least twice, and happened to me a couple of days ago too...

on the other hand, being able to add jpgs from my harddrive definitely is a nice new feature

Yes, I've lost a few posts too when either posting them or editing them after initially posting them. If it's something lengthy that I'm posting I tend to 'Select All' and copy the text in case I lose it.

I've also managed to lose a whole thread of mine that I posted back in January 2018. I was editing the opening post to add a link in to it when it brought up that it would require approval before it could be posted. Then it just disappeared so I assume it's been saved away somewhere pending approval under the new software?