Welcome to the NEW Forum

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

MrEddy said:

How to you see which topics have new posts, like the old days? 🤣

emtiem said:

They have the word 'new' written next to them 😊

They all have the word 'new' next to them until you open the thread, including nearly 20 years worth of old threads I'll probably never open again!

also threads I open before logging in are still 'new' after I log in.

EDIT: hey @SiCo fixed the quoted text colour! thats much easier to read.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Not sure whether it's just my iPad, but it's very slow just typing into the Comments box... the characters slowly appear and editing misspellings is haphazard. Is this a function if the software?

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M

@caractacus potts @MrEddy21 @emtiem I think if you click Mark All Viewed at the top of the screen then start again it should keep up with what is actually new. This is a side effect I didn't consider, I will do some research.

Simon
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I think there used to be the 'latest posts' option to click in the post headings? You can only click on the post heading now which automatically takes yo to the first post in the thread, which could be from years back, then you have to click again to the most recent page.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

I’ve only accessed the ‘new’ AJB via my iPad and it seems ok for me - apart from ‘user error’ that is 🤗

YNWA 97
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Must be my iPad then... 😔

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    YNWA 97
    edited March 2021

Does the Discussions option at the top not show you all the latest posts? https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussions

Simon

What version of the ipad is it, if it's anything like mine a gen 2 then I can barely get it to start up! I don't really have any means of testing on an ipad but I will see what I can find out. I can imagine it may be an issue if you have a lot of tabs open, I have experienced extreme slow down in the past because of that. However, if it's a brand new one it's a strange one.

Does anyone else have an iPad they can test on?

Simon
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent

Mine seems to be working fine.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

I don't have an iPad but maybe it has to do with clearing cookies on the website or marking all topics read or in some other way updating your device's connection to the new AJB forum software? Worth a try I suppose.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

The Red Kind said:

I think there used to be the 'latest posts' option to click in the post headings? You can only click on the post heading now which automatically takes yo to the first post in the thread, which could be from years back, then you have to click again to the most recent page.

SiCo said:

Does the Discussions option at the top not show you all the latest posts? https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussions

it does, and seems to be sorted by order of latest post time, which should be good.

I find I'm not using it because I have to scroll past a couple dozen pinned announcements, and then almost all the most recently bumped threads that appear are dominated by people talking about where they buy their clothes. There's a lot of those threads to scroll past before finding something that's actually about a Bondfilm that might be of interest. No offense meant to clothing fans, but I always have ignored those sections of the forum in the past, and actually find it less work just to open say the Bond Films subforum and start clicking on the threads there to see if maybe one of them has had a new post. If only the date of last post per thread appeared there!

As I said, I’ve only logged on using my iPad since the upgrade...and it works fine.

YNWA 97
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

If you go to the cogs on the right hand side you can click on 'dismiss' for each 'Announcement' and that will make them unpin themselves from the top of your list. The clothing discussions you will have to scroll past just as you always did- and that is sort of this forum's USP :)

The announcements issue has been taken care of. This forum allows announcements to appear only in the categories or in both the categories and the list of active discussions. I have therefore removed some old ones (apologies if I've made bad decisions please let me know) and changed the rest to only appear in their categories.

However, what I can't fix with that list at the moment is it showing topics from categories you may not be interested in. However I do think I've seen a plugin hat mentioned something like that, or at least it shouldn't be too hard to make. I will take a look.

Simon
    edited March 2021

@caractacus potts Just to let you know that the links to individual posts should now all be redirecting properly.

Simon

say you're right, what were all broken links a week ago are pointing exactly where they should now! I cant imagine how you did that, you must be putting a lot of time into fixing all the little issues with this new forum, all much appreciated.

I even checked a post I knew of in a rival forum (MI6 community) that hyperlinked back to a specific post in our forum: it was broken a week ago, and it too now leads exactly where it was supposed to. Somehow or other, you found a perfect fix to that problem!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Yes, our admin @SiCo really does know his stuff! We're very lucky to him him here at AJB keeping everything shipshape for us!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Thank you Si.

I think to have the last post date within the thread heading in each section would be useful. So, for example when looking at in the No Time to Die (Bond 25) section, there are various threads (a couple posted below), I think there used to be a date after the person's name? It would be useful to see the last date, to save going in there to see if anyone else had commented further. If this said 5th March for example you know, there haven't been any further posts since you last looked on 8th March. Hope that makes sense?😦

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

OMG! I can actually log-in using Firefox!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I need to try and narrow the date issue down. I will sort that next.

Simon
    edited March 2021

@The Red Kind @Smithers500 @caractacus potts The dates are now back, if you can't see them do what is known as a hard refresh, hold down ctrl and press F5 (or click the refresh icon in the browser toolbar). This will force the site styling to reload (although it should do this automatically). For some reason, the default option in the forum is to hide these dates 🤔

Simon

Can see the dates now, without any need for the refresh. Thank you Si!👍️

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

Hi Simon thanks for all of your work on this - it looks much fresher but i would echo some of the other comments above- i am finding it harder to see all new or "unread" posts since my last visit, which was really useful in the older version, and when i click on the link it takes me to the first page instead of the most recent post. So I am missing the ability to jump directly to the last "new" post / or at least the last page of a topic from the list of topics. 

When logged in, clicking on a topic does jump directly to the first unread post, it's just when lurking it goes to the first page of a thread. Presumably the database has a memory of what existed in that thread last time a specific userID opened the thread, but for an anonymous lurker there is of course no history.

So incentive to log in and not lurk! Who do we think we are, a bunch of spies skulking in the shadows?

(still would be nice to see a hyperlink to the highest page number without having to log in)

I agree about new posts being difficult to pick out, and sometimes you can lose the new post ident from a thread before you’ve read it.

Since the upgrade I think the forum assumes this is your first visit to a topic and therefore takes you to the first post in that thread...after you’ve visited that topic then it should jump to the last new post...

YNWA 97

@sunny01 Yes this is something I am working on, or at least will! As both @Sir Miles and @caractacus potts have said the forum should start to send you to the right place as long as you are logged in. The problem we have is that this is a migration of the old forum to completely new software, unfortunately there is no way of importing what you have and haven't seen. Once you visit some of these old posts clicking the link will take you to the newest post you haven't read.

As for the visibility I need to sit down and work out the styling to use. What's the preferred method, I believe the old forum showed a different coloured square icon? This forum has the 'new' flag which in effect is the same thing. However, I am worried about what @Sir Miles says about the 'new' tag disappearing as I would be the same issue with any highlighting.

So how do you want to see posts with new content highlighted?

Simon

I have had a play with the New/Unread/Read styling of the site so let me know what you think. It's not perfect but at least I know how to use it now! The asterisk implies you've participated at some point in the discussion.

I've also added a 'New' tag to the forums list, however I am not 100% sure this is accurate so please let me know if you spot anything rogue!

Simon
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

Hi Simon thanks for the reply. I have had a look and to be honest i find the new site confusing. I am unable to tell exactly what has changed so much now the old one has gone!! On the new version it states "Announcement" for so me of the topics even though there have been no recent posts? For the other topics they all have the NEW bubble even through the most recent post could have been weeks ago. I seem to recall on the old version when you were logged in it appeared in bold type in brackets next to the header if there had been any new posts in relation to a topic, and when you clicked on the bold type i think it took you to the most recent post in the topic.