Our first full EV (Electric Vehicle) ask questions

13ยป

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,703MI6 Agent

Texas is more forward-thinking than some (not me!) may think. ๐Ÿ˜€

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

Kan, can you get some solar panels installed at your home/office?

The car usually parks there for hours, so you could charge her during those breaks?

There should be enough sunshine in Texas ๐Ÿ˜‚

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,346MI6 Agent

Yes - I am considering the power wall - if I had that - I would not be in so much pain in February 2021 - The Texas winter storm that shut down everything for a few days - I got a few burst pipes - still got two holes in my wall to be repaired - all these because we lost power with no back up plan - with power wall and solar I will always have power - and also charge my Tesla in my garage. Really considering it. BTW, my office and my house is like a 3 min drive - 1 light or 15 mins walk - about 1 mile, I come home for lunch most of the time if I don't have any lunch appointments :-)

here is the costing

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

Ah, I see. Thanks for that, @Higgins. That's good to know from a road safety point of view considering that electric car numbers are only going to increase exponentially year on year on our roads. I thought there would surely have to be some contingencies in place to allow for the lack of a diesel or petrol engine.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited May 2021

Kan,

I have been considering getting a powerwall as well but decided against it.

The way I see, everybody is trying to sell you an overpriced energy storage (powerwall or others).

On the world market, car makers pay around $130 per KWh battery capacity.

The powerwall has less than 10KWH, so you do the maths.

I am thinking of Solar Panels only so you are able to charge the car during the daytime where it mostly sits.

At a later point of time, you can store the Solar Energy in a second life car battery when the prices have come down to a reasonable pricing.

Good points - I will definitely study more as I transition into EV - thanks

edited May 2021

Cheers, Kan!

As for power storage ( in particularly backup), watch the new IONIC 5.

It can actually charge other devices and this should be (soon) possible with all EVS.

And that‘s what I hope for the future: Just imagine - you charge the EV up by Solar and take the stored energy out of the EV in parts when it‘s in front of your house and you don‘t need the car but need the energy for tv and cooking. No need for a stationary battery storage anymore, it‘s your car!

Instead of a < 10KWH powerwall you have a capacity of 30-110 (depending on the EV) capacity in your car!

That way, you just plug in your EV is you have a powerloss in the future and if necessary charge the car up at a public charger.

There are great possibilities ahead in terms of electric cars and we have only just scratched the surface.

Very coool and exciting - thank you Markus - good discussion

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Here's the latest Harry's Garage video from this week where he says that the fast charge network still isn't there in the UK sufficiently for him to change to one at the moment.

The Audi is beautiful.