WHERE EAGLES DARE watchalong Friday 9. July at 8 PM GMT.

1234568»

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent

Clint is doing here his wry sense of irony at proceedings ("Do me a favour, willya? Next time you have one of these things... keep it an all-British operation!) - exactly the tone of Dirty Harry, anticipating that role, perhaps...

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

You have to be pretty confident not to winch when Turner pulled the trigger...

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Clint Eastwood would work with the same director - Brian G. Hutton - a year later on Kelly's Heroes (co-starring Telly Savalas). A very different type of war caper but also highly enjoyable.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Loved that.

Guys, before we go-

Norbert Smith: A Life (1989) [3] - Bing video

Start about 3 minutes 30 seconds in

It's a magnificent action adventure war movie! Let's hope no-one believes war is like that.

Trust me, you'll love it having just watched WED.

A great watchalong... thanks, N24, for keeping the faith on this one :-)

Thanks for sharing it with me 😊

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Thanks Number24. A most enjoyable watchalong.

I enjoyed the Enfield spoof Barbel 😂

I bid you all a good night gentlemen. Cheers!

Haha! That 'Dogs Of Death' parody is hilarious... though you can tell Harry Enfield is really a Richard Burton fan!

😁😁😁

Good night. It would was a very nice evening 😃

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Well, it seems like you all had a great watchalong 😁

I was considering joining in as I have had many “early mornings” recently watching the Euro football, but with another coming tomorrow night/Monday morning it would be too much.

Just a couple of points I would have mentioned - it was stated early on that all the characters could speak fluent German, so we have to accept that even though the language used is English, it was actually German being spoken!

Anton Diffring was quoted as saying that Derren Nesbitt looked and sounded more German than he did himself!

And a totally irrelevant piece of information - my paternal grandfather was mistaken for Mr. Nesbitt on more than one occasion. He perfected a very reasonable imitation of his voice as well, which was amusing at family gatherings.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited July 2021

Sorry to come in with a postscript, but I've really got to recommend a clever little book by Geoff Dyer entitled 'Broadsword Calling Danny Boy' (Penguin, 2018) - written exactly like a watchalong commentary on WED, full of insight and humour, following the movie in chronological order in the spirit of a blokey fan. (Reviewers who criticise this book tend to do so for all the reasons why I love it - for precisely the reasons why it would appeal to watchalongers!) My copy arrived yesterday and I've already read it, enthralled and amused, in one sitting...

@CoolHandBond:

I thought of your post when Dyer remarks that our heroes are supposedly "so fluent in German that it sounds indistinguishable from English. That fluency is casually conveyed by the way Eastwood asks for 'two beers' in the Werfen tavern as though he's in a bar in Dodge City or Telluride during the film festival..."!