What changes were made to the original script?

Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
edited November 2015 in SPECTRE - Bond 24 (2015)
From what I've seen in the leaks versus the full movie, it appears as if the original story was going to be about SPECTRE usurping control of a single document. Concluding that it was too weak of a plot for Blofeld, they instead went for a 1984-style Big Brother plot with "Nine Eyes".

Also, the villains name was changed from Stockmann (sounds like some kind of Ayn Rand corporate hero) to Franz Oberhauser (in order to make him related to the Hannes Oberhauser).

Bond was originally supposed to kill Blofeld with a shot to the head, but the executives deemed it too brutal.

What other changes did you notice?

Comments

• HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    he did find a tape of Vesper but never watched it ?:)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    There was also supposed to be a tape of Vesper that Bond would find but never watch. Thankfully they didn't include this. Vesper doesn't need to keep coming back in every Bond movie.

But he DOES find the tape :s
    YNWA 97
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    There was also supposed to be a tape of Vesper that Bond would find but never watch.  Thankfully they didn't include this.  Vesper doesn't need to keep coming back in every Bond movie.

Maybe in the original script it was a cassette tape and not a VHS tape as in the movie. :D . Just kidding.
  • Julius No M.D.Julius No M.D. Posts: 110MI6 Agent
    Oh, wow, that was such an insignificant part of the film, I barely remembered it. Why even include that if they weren't going to do anything with it?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    To remind us its all linked / tie films together
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    And to reinforce that he's over her.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Oh, wow, that was such an insignificant part of the film, I barely remembered it. Why even include that if they weren't going to do anything with it?

Was it ? It's there to help tie everything in...
    YNWA 97
    chrisisall wrote:

That's not how I see it...but I guess it's all relative and open to interpretation -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

That's not how I see it...but I guess it's all relative and open to interpretation -{
    Well, he tossed on the table like he had no interest. Didn't he (I've only seen it once so far)?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, I got the impression Bond was done with Vesper ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

So you could just dismiss a woman you loved ?

You heartbreaker you :))
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I think it's meant to represent closure. Two films ago, he'd have killed to see that!
    He probably doesn't have a video player, it's all bluray or HD downloads
    these days. :D and made by Sony obviously.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    It is greatly underplayed because nothing else in the film prepares the reader for it dramatically. We're just supposed to remember all the other films, or marginally the credits sequence, and rely on those, instead, for the emotional resonance. Weak writing. To me, the logical place to bring it up was the conversation between Bond and White. But it's played off instead more or less like the OHMSS scene where Bond pauses to look at the souvenirs of his previous adventures.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    We're just supposed to remember all the other films, or marginally the credits sequence, and rely on those, instead, for the emotional resonance. Weak writing.
    Weak writing? Maybe to US, the real James Bond experts (no sarcasm there, btw), but in thinking about it, for a script written, re-written, and re-written yet AGAIN (by committee no less), I have to say they did a better than average job achieving what they set out to do. The final result was imperfect of course, but I have to give them kudos for coming as close as they did with what I feel is a VERY good entry into the franchise. I can quibble & nit pick with the best of them, however my expectations were totally exceeded with this one, and I call it a win for most of us. -{
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent

And thank god! It's been 9 years! She betrayed him anyway, that was one of the most frustrating love stories I have ever seen.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    :)) as he said himself " The bitch is dead" ........ now for " The next girl" ;)
    He probably doesn't have a video player, it's all bluray or HD downloads
    these days. :D and made by Sony obviously.

Exactly my thoughts when I saw it. He wants to see it but thinks "bloody VHS tape..." :))
    :)) :)) :)) pity it wasn't a betamax " How the hell can I watch this ?"
    Buying an old Betamax player off eBay burns time...
    chrisisall wrote:
    Buying an old Betamax player off eBay burns time...

Well, they could have included it. Bond goes to a laptop, and buys the Betamax player. It surely wouldn't have slowed down more the Tangier scenes, and would have added a couple of minutes tops,so 150 instead of 148, who cares?. The payoff would be in Bond 25 when he receives the player and plays the tape ;)
    It's odd , Mr White used such old equipment. Yet his new place
    had all high Tec gear. He must have gotten Silva in for some IT
    advice. ;)
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    he did find a tape of Vesper but never watched it ?:)

Somehow Q forgot to equip Bond's phone with a VCR function :v
    It's odd , Mr White used such old equipment. Yet his new place
    had all high Tec gear.

I thought exactly the same thing...I expected a DVD at least... :s
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I read that scene differently, it was a nasty blast from the past, he doesn't want to pick over an old wound. I mean, would you want to watch a tape of your loved one being tortured and/or interrogated?

Other stuff I mentioned in my thread about Bond's moral decision on the Spectre discussion board, but someone didn't see the joke and it got ignored. But yeah, Irma Bunt was meant to show up as a lesbian henchwoman to Blofeld, she made a play to Swann at one point. Also, the decision I guess was to have him do the opposite of what was in the film, but really would they have Blofeld show up for one adventure just to kill him? Sounds odd. Does make you wonder who the hell is in control of the writing process there.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Agree with you regarding the Vesper tape NP.

Talking about Irma Bunt reminded me of the earlier production rumour that Brigitte Millar may somehow appear in a similar role in SP. I very much hope she returns for Bond 25, as for the brief moments we saw her at the SPECTRE meeting I thought she was excellent.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    There is a great discussion on James Bond radio the link is in another thread. I didn't realise there were two leaked scripts one in the October and one from the December .

There are some really interesting bits and some ideas that I'm sure are too good not to be used by EON in the future.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    Isn't that always the way. You wait years for a leaked script
    then two show up at once ! :)
    And very interesting reads they are ! Some good stuff was ditched there...better than what we ended up with in places...
    YNWA 97