What are you Currently Reading?

Comments

• mikekilo725mikekilo725 Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    Just started Trigger Mortise and then Solo
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    Still on Thunderball, I'm afraid...
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    Currently working my way through The Spy Who Loved Me, the only Fleming novel I have yet to read. It is...different...
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Indeed it is. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Certainly different, but I found it quite a refreshing read. The suspense of waiting for Bond to arrive is part of what I enjoyed about it, and I found the final third of the novel quite thrilling. It will always sit near the bottom of my Bond novel ranking, but that shouldn't suggest that I didn't enjoy it. It's a unique angle on Bond, and it's short enough that the 'Bondless' section of the novel doesn't outstay its welcome.
    I've often wondered why Vivienne Michel didn't continue writing :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I'm doing Carte Blanche at the moment, with Devil May Care on audiobook in the Jag.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Certainly different, but I found it quite a refreshing read. The suspense of waiting for Bond to arrive is part of what I enjoyed about it, and I found the final third of the novel quite thrilling. It will always sit near the bottom of my Bond novel ranking, but that shouldn't suggest that I didn't enjoy it. It's a unique angle on Bond, and it's short enough that the 'Bondless' section of the novel doesn't outstay its welcome.

I agree, knowing that somewhere, somehow James Bond will make his way into this story is enough of a hook to keep you interested in the present. Not to say that the first act isn't interesting. I am currently up to the first chapter of "him" and heading into the finale of the novel.
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I quite like TSWLM. I know Fleming was unhappy with it but it is quite a good book. I like the way the story weaves through Vivienne's past and the thugs to the arrival of Bond.

Am I right in thinking it was written as a TV movie idea?
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    I just finished 'The Spy Who Came in from the Cold' by John le Carré. For those that haven't read it, it is much darker than any Ian Fleming novel (although I'm not here to compare the two). Regardless, it is brilliant and one of the best books (not just spy novels) I have ever read and can't recommend it highly enough.

If you have a copy or plan to have one, avoid the introduction (fortunately I did, as I've been found out once before with the ending being given away) by William Boyd as it will ruin it for you.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • Xfire2k15Xfire2k15 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Diamonds are Forever
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Xfire2k15 wrote:
    Diamonds are Forever
    Good read, I enjoyed it.
    I'm on with trigger mortis, so far so good really. :)
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    ENEMIES A History of the FBI by Tim Weiner

Just finished:

Manhunt: From 9/11 to Abbottabad - the Ten-Year Search for Osama bin Laden by Peter Bergen

I can highly recommend both of them.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Xfire2k15Xfire2k15 Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Xfire2k15 wrote:
    Diamonds are Forever
    Good read, I enjoyed it.
    I'm on with trigger mortis, so far so good really. :)

Cool! Currently reading Bond in order for the first time
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    I was reading the Designing 007 catalogue after I went through some minor trouble trying to get it at a decent price. However, after seeing the photos from the exhibit I was disappointed at the lack of coverage in the catalogue and hope that a more comprehensive coverage of the exhibit (including Bond in Motion) is made in book form.

Currently, I'm reading the James Bond Archives-Spectre Edition and it is a great book. Much of the text is more or less information that we've seen before, but what I like about it is that the content is a compilation of direct accounts of people involved in the productions; the book is so rich that I just jump around by movie and try to finish that chapter before jumping forward or backward to whichever other movie takes my fancy. I bought the book on Amazon during Christmastime and I was pleasantly surprised with its low price compared to its earlier version.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    I have just started reading The Man From Barbarossa...I tried reading it once before, over ten years ago in fact, and didn't get very far. But the time has come to finally read it. I've not heard many good things about this novel, so wish me luck :p
    I do indeed, not one of the Better Gardner novels. :#
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    I don't mind that novel...better than some, worse than others...it's a departure from the usual Bond novel...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I don't mind that novel...better than some, worse than others...it's a departure from the usual Bond novel...

That's encouraging. I think right now I'm up for a departure from the standard Bond formula. Lately I've been reading more Le Carre than Bond.
    The mission briefing goes on forever. :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Stephen King's "The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams". One of the regular collections of short stories he releases between novels. Some excellent, some just plain weird.
    Finally making my way through Trigger Mortis. I am about half way through and am thoroughly enjoying it. Also reading Omnibus 001 which collects all the comic strips from CR through to TB. My first time reading any comic form of Bond.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Try my link below for a couple of good action thrillers. :)
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • stagstag Posts: 2,083MI6 Agent
    I hope audiobooks are permissible. If so I am working through my JB collection though in no particular order. My last one was DAF & I think the next will be FRWL.
    I've added "The Contract Man" to my library. ;)
    I finished reading The Man From Barbarossa yesterday, and overall I enjoyed it.

It has always interested me that Gardner felt that this was his best Bond novel, whereas the fans are generally quite negative about it. It certainly is unusual and a bit of a break from the formula. It's a lot more to do with politics and deception rather than action. This was quite refreshing to me. I'd just finished reading a couple of John Le Carre novels and I think I was perfectly primed for this type of Bond novel, although Gardner's plot and characters are not on the level of a John Le Carre novel. Whether or not Bond should venture into this type of a story is debatable, and Bond is certainly at his best in an escapist, action laden adventure but as a change-of-pace, The Man From Barbarossa works as a perfectly enjoyable read. I still have two more Gardner novels to read (Never Send Flowers and COLD) but at this stage is looks like The Man From Barbarossa might go down as my favourite 'late-Gardner' novel.

I am getting back onto Le Carre now, as I'm reading The Night Manager to tie in which the current BBC mini-series adaptation. After that, I aim to get back onto Bond and hopefully soon I will wrap up the Gardner novels at long last. So far it's taken about twelve years ;) I read my first one (Scorpius) sometime in 2004.
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    I'm reading Harrington on Online Cash Games by Dan Harrington and listening to Win, Lose or Die by John Gardner. Also reading the Mr Porter Paperback vol. 1.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I still have two more Gardner novels to read (Never Send Flowers and COLD)

My sincere condolences :#

Good luck trying to finish either of those -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Golrush007 wrote:

I've read enough positive reviews of COLD to suggest that their might be hope...as for Never Send Flowers, I'm feeling less optimistic. :#
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Golrush007 wrote:

I've read enough positive reviews of COLD to suggest that their might be hope...as for Never Send Flowers, I'm feeling less optimistic. :#

I honestly don't think I've ever read even a halfway positive review of COLD... :o
    YNWA 97