Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent

That's maybe the answer. Gymkata took it with him when Gymkata left.

If that's the case, should we start a new Ukraine thread? Let's not jump to conclusions (because I don't like sports), but let's think on it.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,974MI6 Agent

I'm sorry to see Gymkata gone and even more all his contributions. He contributed lots of great content

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,699MI6 Agent
    edited January 11

Re Gymkata: I'm sad to hear that too and only found out when I went to search for him as I thought he was the one who started the "War Drums" thread. I suppose he must've requested that all of his posts and his account be deleted? I know that can be done. That's a shame but I also fully respect his decision. I hope he's doing well and I wish him all the best if he ever gets to read this.

@Number24 I wouldn't be opposed to a new Ukraine War thread. Perhaps a thread title like "Current Affairs" would cover all the recent conflicts going on in the world? Either that or we could retain the "War Drums" thread title as it's quite a good one. As well as the Ukraine war there is the renewed Arab-Israeli conflict, the Houthi rebels attacking tankers, China threatening aggression over Taiwan and whatever is going on between North and South Korea at the minute. So plenty of "wars and rumours of wars" as the Good Book puts it.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

If we start a new thread I think we should limit it to the war in Ukraine. A current affairs thread would include many other issues that unfortunately are almost bound to create conflict in the forum.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,699MI6 Agent

Yes, I was kind of thinking that myself as I typed that. May I propose then that you create a new "War Drums" thread as you're best placed to take over the reigns. If another member would like to second this that would be great.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Perhaps a more specific title than War Drums is needed? It's more than just war drums in Ukraine these days, it's war. Sadly there 's wars in other places too, some more discussed than others. Such a general sounding title may lead members to discuss issues other than Ukraine, and that will easily lead to trouble in the forum. In my opinion a new thread should be called "Ukraine War" or something along those lines.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,479Chief of Staff

The War Drums thread was very carefully posted in by all. I'm sure I remember complimenting everyone on how they were managing to discuss such a hot topic without making things personal, and I hope a successor thread would be the same.

Agreed. I think I'll (re-) start a thread on the war in Ukraine soon.

That's agreed then. "The Ukraine War" or "The War in Ukraine" would certainly be suitable thread titles designed to keep the topic specific and within bounds. You can decide on the final title as it'll be your thread, @Number24. I'll continue to contribute to the new thread as I see fit so you'll have my support there.

I've started the successor thread.

I'm watching a Poirot episode made in 2006 and Michael Fassbender is playing one of the suspects. There is no doubt in my mind that Fassbender would've been a very good Bond in CR.

I like the look of Fassbender and I think he'd have made an interesting Bond. Sadly the only film I've ever seen him in is The Snowman (2017) so not exactly the best of films to judge him from!

"Hunger" from two years later was probably the performance that Made Hollywood notice him. "Shame" is also considered one of his best performances. He is fairly Bondian in "Inglorious basterds" I think.

edited January 11

Yes, I'm sure he would've been great. Sadly he's too old now to be considered for the Bond role and there's also domestic abuse allegations against him at the minute from his ex-girlfriend.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent

It has to be said that Daniel Craig's persona off screen is largely impeccable. I don't think there's been a whiff of scandal not just along those lines but on any other in the 15 years or so he's been associated with the role. In fact, the same applies to all the Bond actors for the most part, though I'm aware of the latter controversies re Connery.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I just spotted a video with titled "Longest American movies of all time, ranked by running time". How else would one rank movies by length? 😂

Great idea! Then some IMAX movie will win. I KNEW people on the internet aren't stupid! 👍

They used to talk about feet of film but I suppose it's all digital nowadays.

Guys - Gymkata confirms that the War Drums thread was indeed one of his. When he left us he asked for all his discussions and comments to be deleted. I asked if he was sure, since as said above there was a lot of good content, but he was sure.

Today (14 January) marks my 21st anniversary as a member of AJB007. I joined back on 14 January 2003. A lot has happened since then but I'm happy I'm still a participating member here. Thanks to everyone for making it the great place it is to discuss Bond and other things. Do I get the keys to the house forum now?! 😀

Congratulations Silhouette Man! 🍾🍾🍾

No, you can't have the keys; @Higgins hid them a long time ago and we still haven't found them, so it's permanently open these days.

edited January 14

Thank you, @Barbel!

I understand, I know it was a big ask. I thought I'd have been made a lord or something by now seeing as they seem to give anyone a peerage these days. I suppose I shouldn't Mone. 😉

😁 Yes, please don't Mone. I still have a bit of time till my own 25th anniversary, which seems hard to believe.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,974MI6 Agent

speaking of ajb007 agents who post great content.

21 more years! 21 more years!

Thank you so much, @caractacus potts. You're very kind. Great to have you here too. 🙂

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,330MI6 Agent

Congratulations @Silhouette Man I have many more years to go before I reach 21 😂

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,330MI6 Agent

The Beatles heard about the JFK assassination just as they were going on stage at the Globe, Stockton.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.