Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,330MI6 Agent

Mainly place names and family names, especially when as a kid watching Bond movies…Bianchi, Celi, Auger etc. And where the hell do they get the pronunciation of Baja from?

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff

Southwark is pronounced suth-erk - so it rhymes with the word ‘mother’ with a ‘k’ at the end.

I had to go there once as the company I was then working for was taking over a factory…at least they only reminded me of my mispronunciation 3 or 4 times a day 🙄🤣

I also worked with a couple of guys from Zimbabwe, we used to send equipment all over the country, and they used to pronounce places throughout the UK in some weird and wonderful ways…but I’d be the same with place names in Zimbabwe 🤣

YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,479Chief of Staff

Nice to know I'm not alone. Here in Scotland, we are often amused at Americans (and sometimes English) mispronouncing some of our weirder place names.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,698MI6 Agent

That reminds me that my late father used to tell the story of an American talking to the famous playwright George Bernard Shaw. The American said that the English language is all wrong and, for one example, instead of saying "shoogar" for "sugar" it should more logically be pronounced "soogar". To this Bernard Shaw simply replied, "Sure".

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,974MI6 Agent

Number24 said:

For years I said "Sean" wrong.

this name is correctly pronounced "Son", its tricky enough because its not spelled that way

even trickier because a shertain actor who shlursh his shibilansh has confused us all by mishpronounshing hish own name (like The Craw from Get Smart)

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent

I had a bonfire today.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    edited February 6

Congratulations! I had a snow showling and plouging day.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,698MI6 Agent
    edited February 6

One year I threw my old bonfire on the bonfire. I didn't need it any more.

Hope you didn't use petrol to light it this time, @Napoleon Plural? 🔥

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

So I was at the dentist the other day and he kept saying "MO". I thought he was on to me for a minute but then I realised he was just talking about my teeth...

I don't get that.^

Yes, I did use petrol - but sparingly. Dripped some onto a long rolled up sheet of newspaper stuck in a mass of leaves and twigs But what really made it go woosh was that the Christmas tree was on it (a storm was predicted the day the bin men were to take it away and I didn't want it rolling down the street) and they really do go for it, plus it was a windy day.

I intend to use diesel next time.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

It was just my silly joke that I'm named Dragonpol (a serial killer Bond villain) at the other place and "MO" also stands for modus operandi. It is pretty niche, I give you that.

Good to hear you'll use diesel next time. It catches alight much slower and so you can make your escape before it fully goes up.

Niche?! That and your Economic Times link on another thread (some rubbish that!) surely puts you on Barbel's watch list!

There don't seem to be any other moderators around these days.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,479Chief of Staff

Sir Miles is still around, NP.

Watch list? At my age I'm more likely to have a bucket list!

edited February 9

Oh dear, that's not so good. I just wanted to share the Economic Times link as an example of the kind of rubbish these big news stories generate. Anyway, MI5 have been watching me for years so I'm pretty used to it!

edited February 9

Just admire the courage of the digger operator on Iceland as the lava comes closer and closer!

For some strange reason I started wondering if the poems of Jakob Sande are translated into English. He was a poet living further south on the coast. It turnes out some of them are, but badly. For some even stranger reason i decided to fix the problems with the translation of one of his best known poems. I'm also partial to his poem "Finding a corpse", but you wouldbe banned from AJB if i sent you a translation of that one. Please don't belive I spend my nights reading poetry. it's just one of the best known poems in this country.

After A binge

Tomorrow I'll begin a new and better life,

I think.

I shall never again get drunk and cut people with a knife,

I think.

I shall never again shout while drunk on bootleg wine,

but shall sing spiritual songs in Zion's house of worship,

I think.

All the womenfolk I meet I shall shy away from like they were the devil himself,

I think.

And go respectfully past like a fresh-baked chaplain,

I think.

I shall sit like a monk in a missionary convention,

and drink coffee whilst discussing spiritual things,

I think.

There won't be anyone seeing me out in the darkest night,

I think.

I shall come strolling home without a suit or hat,

I think.

I shall lay down when the pig goes to sleep in its pen,

And get up when the rooster flutters and crows in the morning sun,

I think.

Yes, tomorrow I shall begin on that good path I mentioned,

I think.

Take up arms against the flesh and all the Devil's power,

I think.

But today I shall leave that for later, for I'm so ridiculously thirsty,

That I just have to have a mug of beer to wet my whistle first,

I think.

I'm just waiting for Disney to do a deal with Eon so that a film of John Gardner's Never Send Flowers will become a reality.

The incredible tale of history's only real sky pirates (and how they captured a Norwegian sail ship)

So that's where John Gardner got the idea from!

I think history made a big mistake by not running with the idea of sky pirates. It has so much potential.

I suppose that airline hi-jackings are a common form of piracy.

I've just received this email. Coming at it from a bit of an oblique angle there:

edited February 15

Although I am a Christian myself I must say that I do find this rather disturbing and distasteful. It's not really the way to go about things. To be contacted by an internet stranger early one morning out of the blue and then to proceed to rake over the bones of a troubled young man who had bipolar disorder and whose life sadly ended in suicide nearly 50 years ago seems to me to be going too far. Keep your judgement to yourself please and let the dead rest. There are too many so-called Christians who are too quick to judge. They want to take the speck out of someone else's eye while ignoring the beam in their own eye as the Bible succinctly puts it.

edited February 15

Yes, but that's people inside an airplane taking control of it. It's sort of a mutiny. We're talking of people from an airship attacking a sailship and taking control of it. The closest modern version is soldiers landing on a ship by helicopter and taking control.

Ah, I see. Yes, that is different then. You're right.

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,299MI6 Agent

r/IdiotsWithFire

"danc-into-th-fir....." 😂

"Patronizing and belitteling techniques" by Amanda Woodward 🤣

its-actually-elvis-firing-off-few-rounds-from-up-there 💥