UNIVEX Universal Exports Watch Company LLC

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. Although I do keep up with things here through my good friend Ed “thespyboys11” Maggiani. Anyway I wanted to inform you all about my new company Universal Exports Watch Company LLC. I have trademarked the name UNIVEX for watches and it is my intention to sell timepieces inspired by the watches worn by Secret Agents, Spies, Private Eyes and Special Operations Soldiers in film, television and the real world.

To that end I have taken a couple of watchmaking courses and have built several watches for myself, friends, family and colleagues. Nevertheless, my first watch to market will be the UNIVEX UE5513 and they will be built by a professional watchmaker with over 40 years of experience and who worked for Rolex for 20 years ultimately becoming head of their service department in New York.

I presently have a test sample of the UNIVEX UE5513 that can be viewed on my website here:

I also have an Instagram page called univexwatchco that for some reason I can’t link here.

If you are interested in obtaining our first watch, the UE5513, please contact us at the bottom of the univexwatchco.com page. Thanks in advance for your interest.

DG

So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,737MI6 Agent

Love the name; it makes sense to make a Bond/spy-inspired homage as Bond does have a big impact on the watch world. Is the idea with the mark to take inspiration from Mr Binder's famous white dots? Best of luck with it.

May I ask which Swiss movement you're using? If it's too early to reveal then no problem.

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited January 2023

No, the “dot” is only on the test sample dial. It is a stand in for a globe that will be on the finished dial. The dial was only a test to make sure it fit with all the other components and that the dial was as I wanted. Some adjustments to the dial have to be made. As for the movement it will be a Swiss Sellita SW-200-1 automatic with 26 jewels. The same movement that is presently in the test sample UE5513.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    edited January 2023

Thanks: I see the globe on your Instagram profile: should look good! Maybe in a keyline version rather than reversed out?

Yes, the logo on the watch dial will be similar to the logo on my Instagram page. The globe logo will be comprised of white latitude and longitude lines on the black dial base. Very simple.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent

A very exciting venture for you, Rick!!! I'm sure we shall all see new and exciting watches come out of your company that, for most of us, will be a 'Must-Have" situation as we desire to wrap your creations around our wrists.

From what I've read above, you've spared no expense in assuring the top-notch quality and craftsmanship that will be used to develop and manufacture your watches.

I know others, like myself, wait with baited breath, to see the newly completed version as well as to the forthcoming homages from your new company.

Hoping you the most success in your venture as we look forward into the future towards future offerings!!!  ----Ed

Below is your Instagram link:

https://www.instagram.com/univexwatchco/

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,164MI6 Agent

Wishing you all the very best with your new venture, DG🍻

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thanks Ed. That means a lot coming from you. I greatly appreciate it. I am presently in the test faze of the UE5513. The dial has to be adjusted, but otherwise it is running bang on time and conforms to all the design elements of the watch that George Lazenby wore in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service as well as the watch Roger Moore wore in Live and Let Die an The Man With the Golden Gun.

By the way, I love all of the new neat items coming from your shop. Keep up the good work!

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg

Thanks so much, the idea had been gestating for a long time.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg

Also, thank you for posting my Instagram link!

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

Nice one Rick. If there is anyone that can pull this off it’s you. Looking forward to seeing what you have planned. The 5513 looks fantastic.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Asp9mm, another of the old guard. Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. That means a lot coming from you especially since you are a watch aficionado.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,168MI6 Agent

This is awesome. Definitely interested depending on price.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

Thank you for your interest. Please register your interest over at my website by dropping me a line. As for price, although I have a target price in my head, I haven’t set it as yet. One thing is certain, it will cost less than a vintage 5513.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg

It already looks a cut above other homages to 5513s I've seen, it really gets that vintage flavour whilst it looks like you've also added a touch or two to make it uniquely your own. I do think the name is a slice of genius too: I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on your project.

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,168MI6 Agent

Thank you mate, subscribed and line dropped! Ditto on what @emtiem says about the name - the second I saw it on the dial it just made sense and was completely surprised such a simple idea hadn't been done before.

Thank you emtiem and Quentin Quigley. Yes, I too had often wondered the same thing. Why hadn’t anyone else, particularly in the Bond world, done this. I had thought about this for a long time, and then a few years ago I decided to trademark the name. But I also wanted some technical proficiency and that’s why I started taking watchmaking courses. It was really a no brainer for me, because I am a crazy watch collector with somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 watches in my collection ranging from premium brands to micro brands. It’s a sickness that has given me a lot of pleasure over the years.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Very nice - I’ll be signing up

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,093MI6 Agent

DG, I've signed up for updates and subbed to your IG.

Since linking to Instagram isn't working, if anyone is interested just type univexwatchco into the IG search.

Thank you Westward_Drift for your interest. So far the response from the Bond community has been awesome. It is great to see that there are so many like minded individuals such as myself.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

Any hints as to other Bond inspired releases lined up? Can we expect to see a garotte watch?

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

If you can do a sandwich dial and make the indices turn red when you turn the bezel I'll love you forever 😅

Hints, why sure. Connery’s Sub. It has been done before, but not in the correct way and of course not with the UNIVEX brand and not by a dyed in the wool Bond fan. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The next UNIVEX watch requires that the fantastic interest in the UE5513 turns into actual sales.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg

That will be the ultimate evolution of the UNIVEX UE5513 emtiem. But not with this first release. This initial release will be a lot like the film On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, devoid of gadgets but totally badass. Moreover, the UE5513 so closely respects the original in its non ratcheted bezel, plexi crystal and overall dimensions that you might want to use it as a knuckle duster. But I wouldn’t advise it.😀

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited February 2023

I take it the red globe logo seen in the emails is what the finished one will look like. Either way, it looks good.

FYI to all interested parties. I sent a mailing to those of you who subscribed to my website. If for some reason you didn’t get it please check your spam.

Also, this first release will be extremely limited, so if you want one please subscribe.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg

Heh! It's okay, thanks- I didn't really expect you to do that on this one: I can't imagine how complicated that would be! 😄

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited February 2023

UE5513 Master Mariner test sample case engravings:

Inside case back

Between the lugs

We are trying to stay as close to the original 5513 as possible. That means case engravings, plexi crystal, non-ratcheted bi-directional bezel and riveted bracelet.

DG

image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,093MI6 Agent

WMT Watches makes such a watch, but it is small at 38mm and has a 60 minute bezel. Hopefully Univex's will be at least 40mm with a 12 hour bezel.