TV Shows that died before their time...

RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
For me it's G VS. E

G vs E was an American fantasy-based television action series that aired on USA Network during the 1999–2000 TV season. The series later switched to the Sci Fi Channel. The series starred Clayton Rohner, Richard Brooks, and Marshall Bell. The title is an abbreviation of the phrase Good versus Evil and this version of the title was occasionally used in publicity for the series before its debut.

The series pitted a group of agents from Heaven who are assigned to "The Corp", a secret agent-style organization dedicated to eliminating the "Morlocks", a group of evildoers from Hell.

The series had a 1970s retro-hip style that was similar to Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. The show was fast moving and harkened back to the blaxploitation films of the '70s. It also mixed spy-fi elements with the end of the millennium Zeitgeist of the late 1990s.

cast.jpg

Why do studios do this? It's like they have a diamond in the rough and just toss it the wayside as if blind to its true luster. I was hurt when this show was cut short; I watched it religously...

Anyone else scorned that a show you loved was canceled way too soon? I was also getting into INVASION but I was shocked when I found out over the summer that it wasn't returning to the ABC Fall line-up. I sure hope that HUSTLE isn't dead...
Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    As a Babylon 5 fan, I was disappointed that its spinoff show, Crusade, was cancelled. TNT did it no favors, giving it a miniscule budget and constantly harrassing Straczynski with "creative" input. But the ideas behind the shows that were filmed were great and the characters quickly grew on me. It was supposed to be another 5 year arc but sadly was cancelled before the first show even aired.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I have a buddy who was crushed when CRUSADE was cancelled. I didn't get a chance to see it to find out what all the fuss was about on that one...

RogueAgent wrote:
    I have a buddy who was crushed when CRUSADE was cancelled. I didn't get a chance to see it to find out what all the fuss was about on that one...

Only a pilot movie and a handful of episodes were ever filmed. They air on the SciFi Channel from time to time and I think they may also be available on DVD.

The premise of the show was that Earth had been poisoned by alien forces and the population had 5 years to live before all life on the planet was extinguished. The crew of the Excalibur voyaged to different worlds, many former homes to the First Ones from the original show in the hope of finding a cure.
    Hmmm...that sounds like STAR BLAZERS to me.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Hmmm...that sounds like STAR BLAZERS to me.

:)) It does, now that you mention it.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I love Crusade. I enjoyed it more than the last few Star Trek spin-offs, despite the average FX. I loved the 'technomage' character. Some big revelations about him were on the cards when it was cancelled. It had some interesting ideas, I liked for example how the Captain had that weird box which he secretly consulted for direction.

Another show that didn't deserve to be cancelled was Action. A very funny and inventive comedy about a horrible film producer (Jay Mohr?) and his adventures trying to shoot a film called 'Beverly Hills Gun Club'.
    edited November 2006
    I love Crusade. I enjoyed it more than the last few Star Trek spin-offs, despite the average FX. I loved the 'technomage' character. Some big revelations about him were on the cards when it was cancelled. It had some interesting ideas, I liked for example how the Captain had that weird box which he secretly consulted for direction.

As I recall, there was an episode where the meaning and purpose of Captain Gideon's box was explained. Galen was my favorite character as well; there was even an episode with Peter Woodward and his father Edward Woodward; both played technomages. Great, great show and really sad that it never got a fair chance.
    Another show that didn't deserve to be cancelled was Action. A very funny and inventive comedy about a horrible film producer (Jay Mohr?) and his adventures trying to shoot a film called 'Beverly Hills Gun Club'.

I vaguely remember that one too; was that the one with Illeana Douglas as a hooker turned producer, or something like that? It fell by the wayside really quickly as I recall.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I remember the episode where Gideon won the box in a card game. Did they explain what it was? In the last episode shown here the box told Gideon not to trust Galen.
    Here's another show that I admired as a kid that was let go after half a second season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABX2-4RTrY

JAMES AT 15 was an awesome show to me and true- you can only stay 15 for so long ;). I think that this was the only show at the time that was on our level for pre-teens to view and somewhat associate with. I don't think it was given much of a chance; those were more conservative times then...

Perhaps NBC could've altered the title as the years went on until James went to college? :D

Anyone know if this is on DVD?

I remember the episode where Gideon won the box in a card game. Did they explain what it was? In the last episode shown here the box told Gideon not to trust Galen.

Not really. As I recall, there were theories that there was a piece of a first one in the box. Also, the box's warning to Gideon was to lead to a story arc where we discover that the Technomages were once agents of the Shadows but had then rebelled against them. Of course, none of this was ever filmed.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    I also liked Action -- smart and wickedly funny so it had to die an early death. Then there was that period on Fox where they had a new interesting sci-fi show seemingly every month to try and capitalize on the popularity of X-Files that they cancelled rapidly and repeatedly (forgetting that X-Files was not an instant hit).

Now & Again (how I loved that show -- romantic, smart sci-fi and great acting by all pinciples), Brimstone (another I loved and one of FOX's quick kills), Cupid (just fun and inventive so doomed to to be cancelled), Eerie Indiana, American Gothic (Gary Cole scared the bleep out of me), and more recently Eyes which seemed to be the last gasp of TV to provide a FUN smart witty entertaining hour detective show without countless trips to the morgue. Oh and even more recent Love Monkey. None of these shows lasted past a year and the last two managed just a handful of episodes.

MBE
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Star Trek TOS Original Series. 3 seasons wasn't nearly enough. There were races of aliens that we would have liked to have seen more than once , but all everyone remembers is Klingons, Vulcans and Romulans. Come on what about those poor Capellans, Gorns, Iotians, and Mugatos?
    The Baron wrote:
    Star Trek TOS Original Series. 3 seasons wasn't nearly enough. There were races of aliens that we would have liked to have seen more than once , but all everyone remembers is Klingons, Vulcans and Romulans. Come on what about those poor Capellans, Gorns, Iotians, and Mugatos?

Spoken like a true fan of classic Trek. Don't forget the Organians, the Vions, the Talosians, the Kelvins, the Scalosians and especially the Tholians. Live long and prosper! {[]
    edited November 2006
    Very true on the Star Trek. I think that because it was the 60s it was before its time; it's just a guess. Talk about hindsight being 20/20.

Here's another show that was shown the door too soon IMO; I remember us playing this at recess as a kids:

SPACE: 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZW4groJro&mode=related&search=

Anyone remember the Charlton comic book?

RogueAgent wrote:
    Very true on the Star Trek. I think that because it was the 60s it was before its time; it's just a guess. Talk about hindsight being 20/20.

Here's another show that was shown the door too soon IMO; I remember us playing this at recess as a kids:

SPACE: 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZW4groJro&mode=related&search=

Anyone remember the Charlton comic book?

I don't remember the comic, but I do have most of the episodes on DVD. Great, great show. My brother and I also enjoyed its predecessor, UFO with Ed Bishop and a pre-TSWLM Michael Billington. That was another good Gerry Anderson series with some really nifty FX. And those moon outfits were just too hot!.
    I've never heard of UFO. Was it shown in a syndicated type form or nationwide?

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    I was reading the other day the Addams Family was another legendary 60s series that got cancelled (after 2 seasons) and only gained its legendary status through syndication

I think with Star Trek (the Captain Kirk version), the show was already declining by that 3rd season
    the reason the whole run looks so good to us today is precisely because it didnt last long enough to really start stinking

I think of favourite 90s shows like Seinfeld and the XFiles, where the network kept caving to the stars outrageous salary demands and dragging it out for another 2 seasons
    better theyd both gone out after 5 seasons, when the actors had gotten bored and the creative teams ran out of ideas

Twin Peaks I'd like to have seen last long enough to resolve some more of the plot threads, but that was David Lynchs crazy idea to end it all with a whole new set of never-to-be-solved cliffhangers
    edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I've never heard of UFO. Was it shown in a syndicated type form or nationwide?

It was a syndicated show that was shot in 1970. It was, for all intents and purposes, a prequel to Space 1999. In fact I remember reading that Space 1999 only came to fruition after plans for a second season of UFO were shelved. Some of the episodes have a little too much of a 60's vibe and look somewhat dated, but many of them have held up reall well over the years. The show is available on DVD. Here's a website with more info:

http://ufoseries.com/

A book on the show was also recently released:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Gerry-Andersons-UFO/dp/1905287224/sr=1-1/qid=1162514762/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6121967-9619852?ie=UTF8&s=books

And here's a YouTube video of the opening credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RfzkhqBLY
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    The Baron wrote:

Spoken like a true fan of classic Trek. Don't forget the Organians, the Vions, the Talosians, the Kelvins, the Scalosians and especially the Tholians. Live long and prosper! {[]
    My state can be classified in this manner. As in, "Take me to the Floridian ambassador." :D

My vote goes to a program I'd look forward to with unashamed anticipation. (The Adventures Of Brisco County JR) What a cool show.

Pulled or cut by Fox, for some reason unknown to this insignificant viewer. :#
    edited November 2006
    Alex wrote:
    My vote goes to a program I'd look forward to with unashamed anticipation. (The Adventures Of Brisco County JR) What a cool show.

I love Bruce Campbell in almost anything he's in; you can check out the old shows for free on AOL TV, Alex.

• delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    i have to agree with mbe...eyes was a great show with an old world charm and a witty script...luckily for me the whole series was shown in korea unlike in the us...also recently japanese tv screened the complete my big fat obnoxious boss which i loved... but which was canned very abruptly in the states at the behest of donald trump...try to catch it its great fun
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Alex wrote:

I love Bruce Campbell in almost anything he's in; you can check out the old shows for free on AOL TV, Alex.
    And I paid for the DVD set. Will I ever learn?
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Absolutely, 100%; "Firefly" (2002)

The show is, unquestionably, a masterpiece. Infact it's one of a tiny number of shows which, after cancelled, was so popular that a movie version was released.

Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds is a former galactic war veteran who is the captain of the transport ship "Serenity". Mal and his crew of hired transporters; ensign Zoe Warren, Zoe's husband, pilot Hoban 'Wash' Washburne, muscular former combat soldier Jayne Cobb, young engineer Kaylee Frye, former Alliance medical officer Simon Tamm, his teenage sister River (Both on-the-run from the Interplanetary government "The Alliance"), the beautiful Inara Serra and religious man Shepard Book do legal or illegal jobs (smuggling, protecting, guns-for-hire, robberies) as the Serenity crew travels across the outskirts of Outer Space for food, money, anything to make a living on, as The Serenity crew tries to stay under the radar of The Alliance and pulls dangerous jobs in the Alliance controlled star systems.

Cancelled after just 14 episodes, this series now has a HUGE cult following of fans who call themselves 'browncoats' - a reference to the independants who fought The Alliance during a past war. The DVD sales were massive, and after much campaigning, a movie was green-lighted. Though "serenity" was a flop at the box office, it was critically acclaimed and again the DVD sales made it a success. Fox clearly made an incredibly foolish decision dropping this show!

The IMDb Ratings;

Firefly 9.5/10 (5,365 votes)
    Serenity 8.1/10 (49,832 votes)

Really, anyone who has ever watched it has been completely sucked in by the characters and the story. It's a show for everyone.... except kids under 15! :)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Two shows that I think died much before their time were First Monday, a terrific legal series, and The Agency, one of the best action series in years and a really intelligent one at that. Superior to 24 IMO.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    delon64 wrote:
    i have to agree with mbe...eyes was a great show with an old world charm and a witty script...luckily for me the whole series was shown in korea unlike in the us...also recently japanese tv screened the complete my big fat obnoxious boss which i loved... but which was canned very abruptly in the states at the behest of donald trump...try to catch it its great fun

Wait, there are more episodes of Eyes? Hmmm maybe BitTorrent has them.

And yes yes yes to Brisco County Jr. A truly awesome show but I'm not too keen on paying $70 for the Season Box set. What do they think I am, a Trekkie? ;)

Firefly. I liked the show but never became that enamored of it and I tried because I've always had a bit of crush on Nathan Fillion.

Those super high marks for it on the IMDB pretty much show that's it's a site with a heavy voting lean toward young men -- and the rabidly fannish. It's why a film and show with relatively little box office and ratings have sooo many votes. It's a good show and I'm sure it was a good film, but for awhile it was listed in the IMDB top 250 films of all time -- but then that list is overly populated with a lot of recent films. The voting patterns on the IMDB are why a movie like Equilibrium which is complete gack (but but it has Bale and gunkata!) that hardly anyone saw can be rated so highly (just under Goldfinger and higher than From Russia With Love).

MBE
    edited November 2006
    Tell me about it, MBE, anything over 50 is highway robbery.

Luckily, I picked my Brisco (and don't forget Comet!) at a used exchange. $53 for being used. In this case that means someone bought it, viewed once, and sold. So I'm happy. Lord Bowler sends his regards btw. :D
    edited November 2006
    There was this show that came on back in the 80s that I thought was hilarious yet it only lasted like half a season- "IT'S YOUR MOVE" starring Jason Bateman as a wise-cracking kid who tries to sabotage his mom's boyfriend or something to that effect. It was really never given a chance.

And also starring Bateman- ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, another show that might've come across as too articulate. It was brilliant IMHO.

• General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    MBE_ wrote:
    Firefly. I liked the show but never became that enamored of it and I tried because I've always had a bit of crush on Nathan Fillion.

Those super high marks for it on the IMDB pretty much show that's it's a site with a heavy voting lean toward young men -- and the rabidly fannish. It's why a film and show with relatively little box office and ratings have sooo many votes.

Perhaps, but then the fantastic reviews, DVD sales and the cult-following speak for themselves :).

And, Nathan Fillion is a marvellous actor. I had the pleasure of meeting him in July and have decided to closely follow his career ever since! Good taste, MBE!
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    There are a couple that come to mind. Twin Peaks is, and always shall be, the ultimate programme in my mind; I could happily have watched another 3000 episodes of this show so long as they featured Audrey Horne doing something provocative and major characters turning into door knobs. Fire Walk With Me was for me, besides being a crazy insane mind f*ck scary two hours of cinema, just a teaser for how brilliant the show could have been. My friends and I still talk in Twin Peaks shaped epigrams. "How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie?"

My So Called Life was dead long before its time. I recently watched the first episode of this show again on YouTube, and it was so agonisingly true to me, it hurt; I suddenly had flashbacks to being 15/16 and watching it for the first time, and knowing that no-one else besides Angela knew my pain of wearing checked shirts, liking rock music and thinking Jared Leto was way hot.

And though this technically doesn't count, because it's returning for a tenth anniversary show this Christmas, but as a student the end of This Life was a cause for misery and horror. Millie's thwack on Rachel is a moment that was cheered with unequivocal glee in my household, and we were all despondent at the idea that there would be no more flashes of Egg's rear end. Fortunately TV bosses realised that Andrew Lincoln's buttocks were rating winners, and put them in every show he ever did thereafter, but it just wasn't the same...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Several people in this thread (including myself) have lamented the untimely demise of Babylon 5 and its spinoffs. Well, lo and behold, it looks like there's a new direct to DVD Babylon 5 movie in the works. The presence of Peter Woodward in the cast may suggest a tie in to Crusade as well. Have a look:

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-babylon5movieproduction,0,3221025.story?coll=zap-news-headlines