Last film seen...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Good to hear, I hope to see it myself soon. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:
    Terminator: Genisys
    No, it's not as good as 1 or 2 (how could it be?), but it's a guaranteed fun time. Recommended.

Yup, my feelings too. It's nowhere near as bad as it could have been (or as the critics said).
    Sightly Terminator related, last week talking to a bloke in the cinema
    He told me he was in with a bunch of young teens, on an adventure
    Club holiday, he was helping to look after them and had taken them to
    Terminator.
    He'd gotten bored " You've seen one Terminator, you've seen them all"
    and as heading out for a smoke, the funny thing I though
    Was he sad the hardest part of looking after the teens was keeping them out
    of each others rooms at night to " Stop them humping each other" ( his words) :))
    I just told him, you can't fight hormones. :D
    With the new Terminator film, I'm waiting until it comes to DVD .
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    That was my plan, but a recently separated friend needed cheering up so we went to see it. I was prepared for the worst, but it was better than I expected. As chrisisall says, there's no way it would beat T1 or T2 but it does beat the next 2 films in the series. Arnie was just pure fun, but there was one MAJOR plot flaw I can't discuss without spoiling the film.
    :)) a friend of mine who is obsessed with the Terminator movies
    Sat me down and went through all the plot holes and paradoxes
    Of the series once. ;) stuff I'd never noticed or had even thought
    about.
    As I've said before in a different context, I'm with Basil Exposition on this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8w95xIdH4o
    :)) Yes, just enjoy the film. -{
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    So Lexi, was 75 inches impressive ? :p
    I've been looking at digital projectors, toying with the idea of
    a bit of a home cinema, as the screen ( with HD picture) can be
    Enormous.

It was...but it could have been bigger! :v

We watched QoS right after -{
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • DR NO-ahDR NO-ah AustraliaPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    Citizen Kane, for the second time in a fortnight (for Uni)
    "Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"
  • BarbaricBarbaric Cedar Grove, NJ, USAPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    I went to a 10am screening of Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation this morning.

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but some of the plot points eluded me. I found myself yawning during certain parts of the film. The "agent going rogue to finish a mission because of an unconcerned bureaucracy and political infighting" theme is getting a bit tiresome for me.

To be clear, I enjoy watching movies. I do not, however, enjoy the cinema because of people who just won't shut up and have to discuss every thing that appears on screen, have to get up two or three times during the movie and brush their arse across the back of my head, or can't help but read every word that appears on the screen out loud. Which is probably why I don't like watching movies with my wife, arse comment notwithstanding.

All in all, it's worth a viewing, but I would have preferred to wait until it came up on Redbox so I could rent it on the cheap and watch it on my old rear projection TV without all of the annoyances.

On my own Bond Girl scale, I'd give it a Barbara Bach.
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Someone pointed out to me today, that the only MI film
    in which they are sent on an official mission is MI2. :D
    DR NO-ah wrote:
    Citizen Kane, for the second time in a fortnight (for Uni)

Heresy warning:

I think it's overrated. I do love Welles' work (I watched Lady From Shanghai and Journey Into Fear earlier today) but from the period I much prefer, say, Casablanca or The Big Sleep to Kane- good though it is.
    edited July 2015
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0QyRksgacik
    'm sure every one knows this but some of the background matt
    shots used in CK, were taken fron king kong, and you can see some
    Pterodactyls flying past. ;)
    I didn't know that- thanks TP!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,572Chief of Staff
    I love CK - it's use of camera and sound recording were revolutionary -{
    YNWA 97
    For my son's birthday, I took him to a cinema showing the 1933 King Kong on the big screen. The house was full and everyone had a great time. These ancient films, so often seen at home these days, can't be fully appreciated unless seen as they were intended.

(This is of course true for the Bond films as well- if you haven't seen, say, YOLT in the cinema then you lose some of the experience.)

Later we went back to catch a Marx Bros double bill- A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races- again with a full house and it was fantastic seeing these as they were meant to be seen.
    What isn't generally known is that Groucho, Chico and Harpo acted out the key scenes from those films on the road- playing them in front of a live audience while an assistant with a stopwatch timed the laughs. Jokes that didn't work were dropped, improvisations were tested, etc. The result was that the films have built-in pauses to allow audience reaction, to avoid one joke treading on another.
    Therefore, when watching at home you will find Groucho says a joke and the camera cuts to Chico reacting for a few seconds before he replies with another funny line. In the cinema with a packed house this works perfectly while at home there may seem to be a pause.
    To a certain extent this is true of the Bond films as well. For example, the Lotus chase scene in TSWLM which starts with Bond and Anya becoming aware they are being followed and ends with Bond dropping a fish on the beach works 100% better in a crowded cinema than at home.
  • BarbaricBarbaric Cedar Grove, NJ, USAPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    I'm going to have to disagree with you, sir. I have to admit that I don't care for crowds all that much. Shopping for clothes, one of my wife's favorite pastimes, is lost on me. As well, the shared experience of watching a movie with a bunch of ill-mannered strangers is lost on me...because it isn't a shared experience as I am quiet and trying to watch the movie whereas my fellow movie-goers don't mind talking loudly, kicking my seat, answering calls on their cellphones and commenting at the screen. It's like a strip club without the entertaining boobs. Last time I took my daughter to the cinema to watch one of the recent Disney movies, I was distracted to no end by the little girl sitting next to me who wore flashing LED shoes that lit up upon every movement of her feet and couldn't keep her feet still for five seconds.

Albeit, there are some movies that I will say are a shared experience such as when I saw Indiana Jones for the first time and everyone cheered at every escape and booed at the villians at every scene and screamed in horror when the faces melted. I hope to have that same experience with my daughter as we bought tickets to a Disney cruise this December where, as I understand, my daughter and I will see Star Wars VII together in the on board theatre.

I'm a big fan of the Marx Brothers but I don't need audience participation to know when to laugh. I do appreciate the amount of research that went into the timing of the jokes. I didn't know they did that and I thank you for pointing that out to me. I still don't see the point, from my perspective, of being annoyed by other cinema patrons when I have a large rear projection tv wired for 5.1 surround with a subwoofer that kicks you in the chest in my refinished basement.

All that said, I appreciate your point of view and I hope that you didn't find anything offensive in my opinion.
    Barbel wrote:
    For my son's birthday, I took him to a cinema showing the 1933 King Kong on the big screen. The house was full and everyone had a great time. These ancient films, so often seen at home these days, can't be fully appreciated unless seen as they were intended.

(This is of course true for the Bond films as well- if you haven't seen, say, YOLT in the cinema then you lose some of the experience.)

Later we went back to catch a Marx Bros double bill- A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races- again with a full house and it was fantastic seeing these as they were meant to be seen.
    What isn't generally known is that Groucho, Chico and Harpo acted out the key scenes from those films on the road- playing them in front of a live audience while an assistant with a stopwatch timed the laughs. Jokes that didn't work were dropped, improvisations were tested, etc. The result was that the films have built-in pauses to allow audience reaction, to avoid one joke treading on another.
    Therefore, when watching at home you will find Groucho says a joke and the camera cuts to Chico reacting for a few seconds before he replies with another funny line. In the cinema with a packed house this works perfectly while at home there may seem to be a pause.
    To a certain extent this is true of the Bond films as well. For example, the Lotus chase scene in TSWLM which starts with Bond and Anya becoming aware they are being followed and ends with Bond dropping a fish on the beach works 100% better in a crowded cinema than at home.
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    I have a foot in both camps, I think cinema is a crowd or " event", it's
    Nice to hears an audience gasp at some stunt or all laugh at some
    great one-liner. :D
    Although I do like to sit undisturbed, to really hear every line, and get
    The full impact of the music score.
    Sadly if you are unfortunate enough to go to a film with a rowdy audience
    it can spoil the whole film :#
    ( I once got a round of applause from a movie audience for putting out three
    Yobs, as the Young girl working in the cinema was getting no cooperation from
    Them ) :))
    Barbaric wrote:
    All that said, I appreciate your point of view and I hope that you didn't find anything offensive in my opinion.

Heck, no way- you go right ahead. :)

I must correct what I said above, though- it wasn't an assistant with a stopwatch but the writers themselves.
    I remember reading a couple of stories about the Marx Bros.

Once being kept waiting in an executives office for a long time. When the
    Movie executive finally call to see them. He found them all sitting naked
    By the fireplace, beside a big fire. Mainly made of his desk, chair and other
    Bits of furniture. :))
    On meeting a priest in a lift, The priest thanked Groucho for all the laughter
    he'd brought into the world. Groucho responded by thanking the Priest for all the
    Laughter he and the church had removed ! :))
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I saw Gone Girl last night, I was really impressed with it up until the last 20 minutes which was rather rushed and the worst ending they could have gone with. X-(
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Men In Black 2.
    Not as good as the first one but I like the partnership between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    Me too- I've still to see No3, though.
    Stand by for a disappointment then. :#
    Oh, ok. :#
    Just think of the track record ...
    Jaws 3
    Godfather 3
    Smokie and the Bandit 3
    The last three Star Wars films
    ;)
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I watched "Goodnight Mr Tom " last night ,starring the wonderful John Thaw . I have seen this film about 6 times now .If you have never seen it ,it is well worth a watch (I wont spoil it ) but I never fail to shed a sneaky tear,when I watch John at his best .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Gone Girl :
    Like MilliniumForce, I thought it was a great film up until the last
    20 or 30 minutes, then it turns a bit Poo. :#
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Men in Black 3 is severely underrated IMO, MIB 2 on the other hand.........no, that movie is terrible.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Mission impossible - Rogue nation. It certainly delivers the hoods, great fun - you know what you're getting. Tom still looks great at 50-ish too.

The trailers were for SPECTRE and The Man from UNCLE - while the former looks brilliant on the big screen, the latter just looked like a poor pastiche sadly- it had such great potential too.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."