Aaron Taylor-Johnson 'has been formally offered the opportunity to play James Bond',

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited March 19

Sure, just like he had been signed up in 2022 and would be formally announced in March ‘23, a year ago. He’d even ‘shot the gunbarrel sequence’ apparently, because Bond actors always do that months before the film starts shooting.

• MailfistMailfist Posts: 240MI6 Agent

Its the Daily Mail so best taken with a very large pinch of salt.

• A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
  • HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

I'm going to hold off on lighting fireworks until this gets traction in something like Variety. I think ATJ has (or will) get the gig but I question the source for now.

• RichardCard82RichardCard82 Posts: 292MI6 Agent

It should have been Theo James, after The Gentleman he fits the role perfectly

I like Theo as well, and THE GENTLEMEN was a lot of fun.

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

If the word is from anywhere than the House of Eon is speculative claptrap at best, and throwing dollops of mud at the wall at worst!

Don't belive it till Mr Wilson and or Ms Brocolli say so.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

I agree and I will add this is not the EON print.

Craig was introduced on October 2005 while CR had been announced eight months earlier, with Campbell as the director. For almost an entire year, nobody knew who was going to replace Brosnan. I don't see why it would be different this time. First we'll learn about the movie and the director, then the casting.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

I will say, the Taylor Johnson rumors have been persistent. And a lot about him fits. But unless they have a script, or at least a pretty solid outline, it’s hard to envision an actor signing on. But who on earth knows anything these days.

Whether or not this rumor is legit, I do think that ATJ will end up being the guy. He simply checks too many boxes for what we understand they are looking for in the next Bond actor. I also think he has that indescribable 'it' factor that every actor playing the role has had, even Lazenby.

Be careful with the "too many boxes" concept. Many people said the same about Clive Owen back in 2004-2005, when he was "seriously considered"...

Owen wasn't handsome enough for the gig, sorry. I like the guy a lot but he didn't have the 'look'.

• mexelmexel Posts: 1MI6 Agent

Aaron Taylor-Johnson... Bond has been slipping away more and more over the last decades. He's been dying long before the "No Time to Die".

Look......

The basis, the foundation, the cornerstone, the very essence of James Bond, is not his looks. It's not his fighting abilities. It's not his use of gadgets, It's not his charm or his wit. And it's not his drinks or his Walther PPK either. So what is it?? It's his INTELLIGENCE. From the details to the big picture, it's his intelligence that saves the day. It's his intelligence that impress, inspire and leave an impression after seing a Bond movie.

So, you need first and foremost an actor that can carry this in a credible way. To do that, the actor himself need to have a ...how do I put this... a sound and trustworty personalty and a kind of clear mind himself. I would say he need to have an over average intelligence himself.

Or the risk, that his acting shines through, is there again and again in every little scene. And every little line. All it takes is a facial expression, to ruin the credibility as an intelligent man. The easiest way to see this with actors that doesnt understand this kind of acting, is that they overdo it. They overdo their acting as intelligent WAY TOO MUCH. And as an audience, instead of being impressed, you are left with the thought "he is trying make me think he is intelligent". And from that point on his credibility can never be restored again.

I don't want to judge Aaron Taylor-Johnson to soon. He deserves a chance I guess. But Im sceptical. Has the Bond-production really what it takes, to bring Bond back to life again??

• MAGR007MAGR007 Posts: 80MI6 Agent

I would prefer Boris Johnson as James Bond

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent

I really miss Cubby.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

I've always liked ATJ myself but it was his performance in NOCTURNAL ANIMALS that showed me that he's got the right intensity and presence for the gig.

As to his perceived intelligence, he seems fine. I don't think we need to worry about him vying for a Nobel Prize for curing cancer or brokering world peace but he's not an idiot. But I disagree that that is what matters anyways...Bond has an indescribable 'it' factor that is hard to quantify. It's a combination of looks, intensity, charisma, presence, and other factors that make up Bond. I can't describe them all but you know immediately if a guy has that 'it' factor or not.

Agree or disagree, that's fine. It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same things.

Oh, and for those of you citing ATJ's unkempt appearance in a lot of shots as a harbinger of doom...

• MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent

I was in the Theo James camp after watching The Gentlemen as well..... who knows though... all gossip rags reporting really..

www.aarontaylorjohnsonisnotbond.com

I mentioned this to my wife. She didn't know ATJ by his name but I showed her pictures of him from BULLET TRAIN and other films. Her response was a much more energetic 'hell yeah' than I was expecting...or feel comfortable with, to be honest. Anecdotal evidence for sure but yeah, she's all in if he's the guy.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

I'll believe it when I see it. I was quite excited when Sky News trailed thus, but then they quoted The Sun as a source and scepticism crept in. Hold the front page....

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

Cubby, who signed an American to the role after Lazenby? And who had to be told by another American or two to whom he offered the role (Burt Reynolds and possibly also Adam West) that "an American can't play Bond"?

Sorry, as for the postings of random “in character” outtakes and the dredged up odd paparazzi snaps of candidates buying smokes in their pajamas, I’m a wearied veteran who lived through the last bout of that 20 years ago. Ironically because DC isn’t in my top five list, he’s actually a tough act to follow as far as x-factors go.

About my missing Cubby, there’s arguably a huge difference in his ability then to spot a viable “it” quality compared to his daughter’s and to a lesser extent in terms of influence, his step-son. Cubby and Harry knew the source material very well straight from Bond’s creator, they understood its verve and how that was ripe for its audience, and how to assemble production by collecting and grooming in-house, individual and underrated brilliance vs. a cash infused paint-by-numbers approach.

The sad paradox, at least for a dwindling minority of Bond fans like me, is that In the past 2 decades we’ve seen the series reach the highest levels of production values that include a leading character that passionately drew in viewer engagement, while James Bond’s soul and essence quietly faded away. All that’s left is the name and number but as long as audiences don’t really care about the differences and will continue coming in droves, it doesn’t truly matter.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

Oh yeah, love those Bond movies by Brolin, Gavin and Reynolds.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    edited March 19

Hard to argue with any of this. And they stuck with Craig far too long. If AJT gets the role, Bond will go from being 18 years my senior to 4 years my junior. The latter is reasonable, but Craig aged out around a decade before he quit. Yet, as you note, Craig generated tons of excitement among both casual and devoted fans. Let’s just dispense with the notion that Craig was playing Ian Fleming’s James Bond. We won’t see the likes of that hero again.

It's a weird thing on Craig. He physically aged only 4 years in between QOS and SF but he appeared to age almost 20 years. That's not a ding on the man as he's in great shape, but everyone has a genetic ticking clock that starts the aging in earnest when that alarm goes off. You can hit the snooze button on that clock with surgery and Ozempic but it's eventually gonna hit you. Heck, it finally hit Tom Cruise despite his best efforts to appear immortal.

The fact is there's nothing for the moment, so why bother ? I still have hope it will be someone nobody has ever heard about...

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited March 19

I'd be perfectly fine with this casting - and, frankly, relieved - if it eventually turns out to be true. Though I'm as jaded as any veteran Bond fan, I admit I was surprised by the way multiple sites picked this one up and ran with it...certainly giving it the illusion of momentum. Eon could (and very well still might) do worse than this fellow.

On my Facebook feed, there is the predictable rush of pearl-clutching, of course. There will ALWAYS be a jilted fanboy contingent, no matter who ultimately gets cast. Those of us who were on AJB for the Craig Wars [TM] remember those firefights!

But as always, we must await word from Babs and the brain trust on Mt. Olympus.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM