Aaron Taylor-Johnson 'has been formally offered the opportunity to play James Bond',

Comments

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

Thankfully clearer heads (that weren't on Cubby's neck) prevailed. But no one is infallible!

I think an equal argument could be made that Moore and Brosnan weren't playing Fleming's hero.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters

This point is endlessly arguable, of course, and I heartily disagree. I contend that Craig conveyed the spirit and intent of Fleming's Bond better than any other actor. Fleming's Bond got his ass kicked and was frequently hospitalized as a result of his adventures...and his brooding introspection was rarely seen by others in the role. Dalton got close...and ironically Brosnan had a nice moment when he's drinking shots of vodka in the hotel prior to his scene with Paris Carver in TND.

Of course, each to their own. But I will always refrain from absolutes such as 'there will never be another,' etc. Who's to know? Cheers.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent

He didn’t look like he’d aged 20 years, don’t be silly.

• BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 361MI6 Agent
    edited March 20

He's way too "from the wrong side of the tracks" for Bond. Mr. Bond is an upperclass English Gentleman who went to Eton, and everything I've seen him in has just given off very non-Bond vibes. Henry Cavill would be perfect for the role, he has charm and class but still displays a degree of toughness and physicality.

Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,402Chief of Staff

Bond isn't English, though.

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent

Ha! Oh gosh, who was that member who just kept posting pictures of monkeys?

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

I doubt very much he's been cast, especially given the source.. but ATJ would tick a lot of the commercial (handsome, popular, cross between Tom Hardy and Ryan Gosling) boxes.

I would like to see more natural pictures of him, as in every publicity image he seems to be trying too hard, smouldering and pouting.

But overall, given what I know of him and his performances, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with him. He probably scrapes into my top five choices.

We'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully by Autumn, the wheels will be in motion in some respects.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,630Chief of Staff
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,402Chief of Staff

Well, I've done that so often before! 😁

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 211MI6 Agent

Craig in QOS:

Craig in SF:

OK, maybe 20 years was exaggerating but I stand by my point. He was 39ish when he filmed QOS, 43ish when he filmed SF.

And again, I'm not dinging the man. When that genetic alarm clock goes off, it goes off. Same as anyone.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,952MI6 Agent

the character is supposed to have aged an indeterminate number of years between Quantum and SkyFall, a whole unseen career has happened between those two movies.

Perhaps its just good makeup and acting that makes Craig appear older in SkyFall?

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 250MI6 Agent

Anyone can cherrypick nice shots. Mainly it was the hair in SF that aged Craig as his hairline was more apparent. Other with he looked good.....I mean:

As for ATJ..........I think he needs to keep the long hair. It would be a nice change of pace. They should get the same hair stylist who does Timothee Chalamet's hair in the Dune films

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 409MI6 Agent

And that's precisely why I would have loved to get a movie between Quantum and Skyfall. A classic standalone showing Craig at his best. Bond involved in a mission dealing only with espionage, a fresh threat, a brand new enemy, no revenge concept in the plot...

What makes LTK a special one within the series is also the fact there's a genuine spy thriller like TLD just before. Skyfall follows a film dealing with personal items like doubts, loyalty and revenge. If there had been some kind of TLD/LTK contrast between QoS and SF, perhaps I would have enjoyed SF...

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent

Personally I don't agree. Bond has short hair IMO.

I'll absolutely agree that there should have been some 'seasoning' movies in between QOS and SF. He's too much of an old pro in SF.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

I think AJT would look good with a proper gentleman’s haircut. Craig’s hair was too short, but AJT’s preferred hairstyle is a bit too long for Bond.

ATJ in GODZILLA:

That's a great look.

• BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 361MI6 Agent

Barbara is just too focused on the type she’s attracted to and not what’s right for the character. Craig was great but this is just a step too far. He doesn’t have the charisma and or the voice that Daniel has.

Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 409MI6 Agent

Craig's hair was short indeed, except in QoS, and that's probably why I love his style in this one.

In SF, I never understood why his hair was so short ! Not to forget it's not very relevant plotwise. We know from the conversation in Mallory's office (after the PTS) the NATO list was stolen three months earlier. During this period, Bond is showed as a depressive man left for dead who consoles himself with pills, alcohol and casual sex. Then why would he grow a beard and at the same time keep taking care of his incredibly short haircut ? Considering his state of mind, that's not a thing that would come to my mind...

edited March 20

I respectfully disagree. He's been lauded as a style icon in the UK and is a sex symbol to many (including my wife...). I personally think he has as much presence and charisma as many of the other actors who've played Bond, save for probably Connery (who was in another league entirely).

I will concur that his voice is at a higher pitch than is ideal but...so what? We had a blonde Bond, we can survive this.

He is a charisma vacuum in that film though. I'm sure he's improved since, but it makes me worried and he has notably not been given many lead roles since. It will be interesting to see how he copes with Kraven.

(apologies for the double post mods; I can't seem to copy a quote into an edited post)

I will concur that he was not great in GODZILLA. I personally did not care for the film that much anyways but he was not a strong presence. I shared the picture merely to show off his short haired look.

If it matters, he's improved massively as an actor since then. BULLET TRAIN has been cited by many as proof positive that he'd make a great Bond. I personally don't see anything 'Bond' in his performance or in his character BUT he's arguably the best part of the film. For me, it's his small role in TENET, his cameo in THE KING'S MAN, and his large role in NOCTURNAL ANIMALS (for which he earned much praise and a few awards) that sell me on the guy.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

Yes, I would agree with this. The guy was a child actor who has grown considerably over the years. It would have taken a once-in-a-generation star to make GODZILLA watchable. Taylor-Johnson might not yet be an Oscar-caliber lead but he would be the most versatile actor to play Bond in...I'm not sure how long. He can be funny, scary, convincingly athletic, and my wife (who watched him in ANNA KARENINA) thinks he's convincing as a romantic dreamboat.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

If true, I could live with it. That said, I'm trying to get my head around now being old enough to be James Bond's dad....

Vox clamantis in deserto

sounds like your wife and my wife will be fighting over Aaron should he become available.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited March 20

😂 Welcome to the geriatric ward, @Hardyboy! Have some Metamucil and watch a Lawrence Welk re-run with me...

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited March 20

All supporting roles though, he hasn't had a notable lead role in a long time. I'll be curious to see if he can work as a lead in a big film like Kraven, I must say I'm dubious.

Craig and Brosnan on the other hand, just to pick the last two Bonds, had been in leading roles for a quite a time before Bond- they were tried and tested.

I don't know if it needed a once-in-a-generation star to make Godzilla watchable - it had Bryan Cranston as the lead at the start of the film and he was very watchable! Then Johnson takes over the film and suddenly it has no-one interesting at the middle of it.

The idea that he's more versatile than Daniel Craig I find rather baffling though.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent

The BBC quote a 'production insider' saying there is no truth to the rumour.