Aaron Taylor-Johnson 'has been formally offered the opportunity to play James Bond',

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited March 20

At the time of release one of my few criticisms of Skyfall was that they had taken Bond from relative rookie to over-the-hill in the gap between films. It doesn't really bother me now, and I think Skyfall is a superb film especially when compared to the Spectre (where Bond seems to be somewhat back in his prime).

Regarding the current scuttlebutt, I know nothing about Aaron Taylor Johnson. I've apparently only seen two films with him in them (a Captain America and an Avengers fiilm, which I have very little interest in) and I have no memory of him. My wife seems to fancy him as a Bond candidate. I'm not sure if that is any indication that I would like him as Bond, but I won't be devoting much thought to the prospect because I have no faith in tabloid rumours and I have virtually no interest in casting speculation. I just hope that one day there might be another Bond movie, whoever may be cast.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

For the record, Craig was my favorite Bond—yes, even over Connery—but even he admitted he has minimal comedic chops. Rian Johnson has worked wonders leveraging Benoit Blanc's befuddlement and exasperation into laughs, but Craig has mostly been the straight man in the KNIVES OUT movies.

And let's not pretend that Craig didn't underwhelm in some starring roles, too. THE INVASION and DREAM HOUSE are two of my least favorites.

Our assessments of actors' abilities will always be subjective, and if you didn't find Taylor-Johnson funny in BULLET TRAIN, that's more than fine. But the consensus among the reviews I read was that he stole his scenes with Pitt. (Please don't make me go compiling reviews of BULLET TRAIN.) And IMO Craig has never played a psychopath as convincingly as Aaron did in NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, even when Craig was playing a real life psychopath in INFAMOUS.

Versatility doesn't always mean better either. In my opinion Brando wasn't particularly versatile, to choose one example. But I think he was one of the all-time greats.

And as I said, these kinds of judgments are all subjective. I make no grand claims to the rightness of my personal preferences.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent

I actually started thinking of Dalton in LTK after I posted that comment, hoping no-one else had the same thought. 😆

It would probably be better phrasing saying Bond shouldn't have long hair. For example 007 would in my opinion look wrong if his hair was so long it didn't stop at or before the back of his shirt.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent

For the record, Craig was my favorite Bond—yes, even over Connery—but even he admitted he has minimal comedic chops. Rian Johnson has worked wonders leveraging Benoit Blanc's befuddlement and exasperation into laughs, but Craig has mostly been the straight man in the KNIVES OUT movies.

I think he gets plenty of laughs in that, and before you get to something like Logan Lucky. Or even Bond, where although some like to say he's entirely one-note and grim, there's plenty of examples of comic timing in there.

I remember Taylor-Johnson being fine in Bullet Train, but I didn't find him a revelation or anything, and not startlingly funnier than the films mentioned above.

And let's not pretend that Craig didn't underwhelm in some starring roles, too. THE INVASION and DREAM HOUSE are two of my least favorites.

Indeed, but equally let's not pretend that there are many, many more examples of him being an outstanding and very successful lead.

And IMO Craig has never played a psychopath as convincingly as Aaron did in NOCTURNAL ANIMALS, even when Craig was playing a real life psychopath in INFAMOUS.

At this point we're comparing films though and they're not really like-for-like; Nocturnal Animals is a thriller (or horror, even) in those sections where we pretty much see Taylor-Johnson's character only from a distance, which makes us more and more scared of him whenever he gets close; Infamous is much more a character study of the Smith character; they're not going for the same effect.

We could go the other way around and list the many varied roles Craig has taken on over the years and try to find a match in Taylor-Johnson's back catalogue, but I'm not sure they're going to match up very well.

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent

The rumours are obviously untrue. Callum Turner will be the next James Bond. He played Pierce Brosnan's son , and EON probably looks back to the 90s with nostalgia now (don't we all?). Mark my words.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent

Oh damn, now I just realized I'm too old to be considered to play Bond. I sit here at my computer and am realize in about a year and half away from being able to join AARP.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent
    edited March 21

Here's the real new James Bond:

Boris Johnson as James Bond 007 in The Night of the Blond Knives. Is the world ready for BoJo07?

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent

He was born in New York, so on the same logic that Timothy Dalton was the first Welsh James Bond, now we'll have our first American! 😁

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent

Great, another record broken! He'll be the second blond Bond too. 😀

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 250MI6 Agent

You know......ATJ played Pierce Brosnan's son in a film as well

Maybe he's going to be the new James Bond Jr instead? 😮

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

It can be a lot easier to manage a short hairstyle, (just get the clippers out every few weeks) than to let it grow long and try to manage it. I think Bond still had some self respect but regarding his hair wasn't fussed about it and just kept it in the same short style which matched his mood. He was already probably growing weary in service.

Personally I've had close cropped hairstyles at times in my life when I've been down and didn't care for my appearance as much as I should have. It's just easier.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 409MI6 Agent

If you say so. The thing is, almost twelve years later, I still don't understand why he has it so short. Did he loose a bet with his hairdresser before the shooting ?

Craig had a run in with a lawnmower prior to filming.

This is what his hair should look like as Bond. It's taken from the film Albert Nobbs

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to view A Million Little Pieces, and while it may not be deemed an unequivocal cinematic triumph, characterised by a somewhat conventional depiction of addiction and occasional ostentatious direction, I found certain aspects noteworthy. In particular, the performance of Aaron Taylor-Johnson was striking. There exists within his portrayal a remarkable fearlessness, devoid of any semblance of vanity. I found his rendition to be commendable, evoking parallels to the caliber of a young Tom Hardy.

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 211MI6 Agent

yeah, heard good things about his performance in A MILLION LITTLE PIECES.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

A bit long but I could live with it. I’ll take that over the $12 Craig haircut.

Now we just need Nolan......

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,952MI6 Agent

inconceivable!

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,399Chief of Staff

😁

Rumour has it that the new Bond will have a skin fade. Well, I suppose he has to keep in with the current fashion...

I think this is his best length for Bond;

Nah, too short.....It needs to be this long but clean shaven

I fear that the next Bond will have a hipster beard and a man bun. I hope that's not the new direction they're going in. 😉

It's a good length for him, but not for James Bond.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

IMO, Bond should have a fashionable but classic relatively short haircut. I would think that Craig's short close cropped haircuts were reflective of the Craig Bond's SBS background. Hypothetically, if ATJ were to be the next Bond I would think that the hair professionals that EON employs would come up with something that is most flattering to ATJ while still in keeping with whatever fits the character. ATJ still appears to have a full head of thick, curly hair so at least they would not have to deal with hiding a receding hairline or thinning hair. With regards to ATJ as Bond. ATJ is a very good character actor with leading man looks. However, those leading man looks are generally covered up with make-up, facial hair, wigs, etc. to embody those character parts. I think he would make a very good Bond as I think he would throw himself into the role. He certainly can do action well, he's handsome but not just a pretty boy. At around 6' he's neither too short nor too tall and he already possesses the chiseled physique that is required of today's action heroes. Whether or not these stories of ATJ circulating of the Bond role being offered to him have any truth to them or are just a bunch of bollocks I have no idea. My gut tells me it's bollocks given the sources.

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

Oh for Goodness sake! When you need a good casting pic ask for Thunderbird 2! 😁

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?