Aaron Taylor-Johnson 'has been formally offered the opportunity to play James Bond',

123457»

Comments

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    edited April 9

Get one very quick mention? It's quite an important mention!

The article quote's ATJ but doesn't say where the quote was given, maybe it was to The Guardian?

“I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better.”

That does not sound like someone who is doing Bond. It sounds more like someone who didn't get the gig. A bit of bitterness there.

The bit of the article with ATJ says:

More recently, Aaron’s career has really taken off. This year alone he stars in Kraven the Hunter, a superhero blockbuster; Nosferatu, with Bill Skarsgård and Nicholas Hoult; and at the time of writing he was tipped as the next James Bond (a rumour he seemed to scotch, saying, “I don’t feel like I need to have a future drawn out for me. I feel like: whatever’s drawn out for me, I can fuckin’ do better”). 

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,363Chief of Staff

I'm glad I brought it to your attention, then.

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 209MI6 Agent

Can't wait for NOSFERATU. That's one of my most anticipated films of the year.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,270MI6 Agent

But how can it better the original @HarryCanyon - or is it a rehash / reimagining / comic book thingy I know nothing about ?

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent

I do think that an actor who already has a decent Hollywood career would be crazy to take the Bond gig. Not least because it can be plausibly argued, the films just aren't very good. And you are stuck with the damn thing, you're under contract, and it's surely the bulk of the year taken up with filming and then promoting.

Absolute heaven for an actor in last chance saloon who has yet to make it big in movies - just about all of them, frankly. Moore was 46 in his debut and had yet to make it in movies either as a star or an actor, Brosnan was in the same position, and so on.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

It's impossible to be better than the original, but I really like the director of the remake (Robert Eggers) and I'm confident that he can deliver something of quality. THE VVITCH and THE NORTHMAN were both excellent. I still need to see THE LIGHTHOUSE but I'm told that it's quite good.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,451MI6 Agent
    edited April 9

THE LIGHTHOUSE is...interesting. Eggers is indisputably a visionary and, @chrisno1, he's probably the farthest thing from a comic-book guy making movies today. I'm eager to see what he does with NOSFERATU.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent

Not to mention it's the second time Nosferatu has been remade. Stellar cast, so far.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

The Werner Herzog remake with Klaus Kinski (talk about Bond villain / henchman material) was pretty good. My personal favorite take on Nosferatu was "Shadow of the Vampire". A very black comedic take on the filming of Nosferatu where the actor they get to play the Vampire turns out to really be a vampire. My guess is this new version, given Eggers is directing, will most likely be in black and white and shot in the old fashioned 1.33 to 1 aspect ratio (which has made a bit of a comeback these days). With regards to ATJ being offered Bond, it's all just an unsubstantiated report from a not particularly reliable source.

Pictures have already been released from it. It looks like Eggers is shooting in 'black and white' and then 'dying' the frame into other colors ala what they did in the 30s. I'm sure it's all digital vs using actual dye but the effect is the same.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,270MI6 Agent
    edited April 10

@HowardB Good to see the love for SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE one of my fav 'horror' movies of recent eras. Is it a drama, a satire, a chiller... endless questions and a great lead preformance from Willem Dafoe as Max Shreck.

Love that film. Dafoe's performance is about as good as it gets. Great supporting cast also. I highly recommend Shadow of the Vampire. Basically a perfect film. Have not seen the film since it was in theaters over 20 years ago. Unfortunately it has never been released on Blu here in the States. Maybe whoever has the rights will be motivated to put it out when Egger's Nosferatu is released to capitalize on that. One can only hope.

• MarkerMarker Posts: 66MI6 Agent

I think most of those in the mix to play Bond will be drawing their pensions by the time the next film enters production.

Author of 'An Ungentlemanly Act' and 'Execution of Duty'. The WW2 espionage series starring Harry Flynn.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,144MI6 Agent

ATJ is 5'11" Hoult is 6'3" O'Connell is 5'7" so, given their position and distance to the lens, it looks about right. Who's the other guy out, out of interest?

"Any of the opposition around..?"

O'Connell is a fine actor. He was great in '71 and Unbroken. Height notwithstanding, I don't see him as Bond. I think Jamie Dornan would be a much better fit for Bond but he's probably too old at 41 (though he looks like early to mid 30's). Regarding Bond and height, since Craig, I think the new Bond standard is pretty much average height or above.

• MailfistMailfist Posts: 241MI6 Agent

Hadn't really though of Jamie Dornan until I saw Heart of Stone. Not a great movie but he looks the part in it and handles the action scenes and fights really well. The outfit he wears in the first scene is pure Bond.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters

Probably right. But I think the Craig-established (generously-estimated) 5'11" should be the minimum, along with a degree of obvious physical conditioning. My biggest reservation about Craig - probably my only one - was his height, and he 'played' bigger than he was.

Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    edited April 25

I don't know if this means AJT IS Bond and he is getting roles like this because the industry knows he's the next 007, or if he is making this 28 Days/Weeks sequel, called 28 Years Later, because he won't be 007.

As Bond26 is unlikely to start filming until December or January, I would imagine AJT will have time to film this movie before Bond26 gets going.

The film is supposed to be the start of a trilogy, which doesn't make sense as it is the third film after 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.

It's interesting the Hollywood trade papers make no reference to the AJT, Bond speculation, but a BBC story does.