Ranking the Brosnan Films

Pierce Brosnan is my favorite my 007 and this is my list of my favorite movies while he was Bond

1. TWINE
2. GE
3. TND
4. DAD(by far)

Comments

• SPECTRENumber1SPECTRENumber1 L.O.Posts: 75MI6 Agent
    First for me is The World is Not Enough. Then Goldeneye. Then a tie between Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    I being a big Brosnan fan thinks this question isn't fair, but since everyone else posted their list, here's mine:

1) Tomorrow Never Dies
    2) Die Another Day
    3) The World Is Not Enough
    4) Goldeneye

That's tonights list. Ask me again next week, and the list will change.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Heres mine......

1) Goldeneye....Definitly his best.Good story,still quite dark.Great girls.Loved Alan Cummings and one of the best villains of the series in Sean Bean.

2) TWINE.... Sophie is excellent and I quite like Robert Carlyle.Could have done without Dennise Richards though.

3) TND....Started of well,thought it lost it in the second half.Dont like Carver,a waste of Jonathon Pryce IMO.

4) DAD.....Didn't like this at all.Didn't like Graves or Jinx ( when the villain and the leading lady suck you're in trouble) and some of the effetcs were terrible.Liked Rosamond Pike though.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    GoldenEye:-

GoldenEye is my favourite Bond film overall. It has a strong cast and some superb chase and fight scenes. The villains are some of the best, and it is rounded off with a duel to the death between Bond and Trevelyan at the end.

The World is Not Enough:-

TWINE is a very strong Bond film. Elektra really steals the show, and is one of the finest female-villains in the series. Denise Richards looks great, but isn't right for the film. Other than this, some good tension and spectacular action.

Die Another Day:-

The icy atmosphere and feeling of this films is what I like about it. Some of the locations are excellent, and one or two of the characters really shine - Miranda Frost being the main one. Zao is a great henchman too. But Halle Berry, and some poor effects let it down a bit.

Tomorrow Never Dies:-

In my opinion the worst film to date, Tomorrow Never Dies sacrifices good dialogue and character development for cheesey action scenes. The score is average, and the villain unimpressive - and don't get me started on Wai Lin!
  • royalmileroyalmile Station CPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    I understand implicitly that my opinion here differs from that of a LOT of users of this site. But I think the Brosnan movies have gotten better each time. Therefore the chronological order would for me be my list in ascending order. Hence, Pierce really ought to do B21! I know DAD had obvious faults, but I consider it to have many saving graces, too. GE seemed to me to be more like a TV movie and a bit of a retread of old ground, seemingly crowbarred in to "introduce" Pierce to the gen-pub as Bond. A tad clumsy, I thought. TND has some terrific moments but seems to suffer from a slight lack of focus IMHO, trying to be all things to everyone. TWINE is an awesome movie. My only gripe, really, is the way certain lines are delivered by certain actors, resulting in some wasted moments. DAD is let down by some cheesy FX, I'll admit. And it's true to say this does retread A LOT of old ground. I look at this one almost as a "Greatest Hits" album, though, and this is what makes it a lot of fun to watch.
    The top 2 are very close, though.
    1)DAD
    2)TWINE
    3)TLD
    4)GE.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    1. Goldeneye by far, awesome chem. with Sean Bean on screen *haha rhyme*
    2.TWINE
    3.TND cuz yea
    4. DAD *stupid Hallie Berry is not a good Bond girl in my opinion...if she had been a wee bit less flambouyant, then it would have been fine....*(good plot prog. though!)
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • autographareaautographarea Posts: 356MI6 Agent
    I must agree to Lady Rose & davidraider:

1 GE
    2 TWINE
    3 TND
    4 DAD
  • ZachZach Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Quoting autographarea:
    I must agree to Lady Rose & davidraider:

1 GE
    2 TWINE
    3 TND
    4 DAD
    I will agree with them and you too.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Quoting davidraider:
    1. TWINE
    2. GE
    3. TND
    4. DAD(by far)
    Exactly my rankings of PB's movies.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    We must have similar tastes, because mine are:

TWINE
    GE
    TND
    DAD
  • AcerimmerAcerimmer Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    GE: great villain, the tank chase, Xenia Onatopp...

TWINE: pretty good, intricate plot, Dame Judith's best turn as M. Negative is Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist. Rigggghhhhhtttt.... And I'm Ronald Reagan....

TND: Teri Hatcher should have been around longer. I've always had a thing for her since "Lois and Clark". If she's the Bond girl who carries the film, this would rate a lot higher.

DAD: swims at the bottom with AVTAK.
  • NAOMI_FAN 1NAOMI_FAN 1 Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    Quoting davidraider:
    1. TWINE
    2. GE
    3. TND
    4. DAD(by far)
    Exactly my rankings of PB's movies.

And if you don't mind me quoting both of you, My list exactly! -{
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    1. TWINE
    2. DAD
    2. GE
    3. TND

The top three are in my top 5-6 of Bond films and all make my top 10.

MBE
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    1)The World is Not Enough

2)GoldenEye

3)Die Another Day

4)Tomorrow Never Dies
  • wormloverwormlover Formerly Derbyshire, UKPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    I'm going to go with

1)The world is not enough
    2)Goldeneye
    3)Die Another Day
    4)Tommorow Never Dies
  • Red GrantRed Grant Posts: 147MI6 Agent
    edited April 2005
    1.The World Is Not Enough
    2. GoldenEye
    3.Die Another Day
    4.Tomorrow Never Dies

The World Is Not Enough is my favorite Bond film, and GE and DAD are in the top 5 or 6, and TND rounds out the top ten.
  • kmartkmart Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    GoldenEye (the only good one)

TWINE (some good parts)

TND and DAD - at least as bad as the worst of the Moore films, and DAD had to work hard to achieve that distinction, given that the first 30 or 40 minutes were pretty good at times! TND, except for the score and perhaps two minutes of Brosnan's work, offers me nothing at all. These are the only Bond films I skipped in the theatre and haven't ever rewatched on video (even fastforwarded through parts of both.)
    "Achievement is it's own reward - pride obscures it."
    Major Garland Briggs, in TWIN PEAKS
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I like GoldenEye the best, followed by TWINE, DAD, and TND.
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    my list would be,

1) Goldeneye - best non Connery Bondfilm, loved
    Xenia

2) TWINE - decent characterdevelopment, near perfect film with the exception of Denise Richards, till Bond kills Elektra, thought the finale was utterly boring.

3) DAD - again good in parts, hugely enjoyable until they leave they Ice palace (apart from the unnecessary face changing bits), uninvolving,overlong finale on the plane, loved
    Rosamunde Pike.

4) TND - something was wrong with the film, probably the complete lack of chemistry between Brosnan and Yeoh, overuse of product placement made it feel more like a series of long commercials, last not least Teri Hatcher was just awful.
    still had some decent action scenes, liked the teaser.
  • mythrenegademythrenegade Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    Quoting BestBondSean:
    my list would be,

1) Goldeneye - best non Connery Bondfilm, loved
    Xenia

2) TWINE - decent characterdevelopment, near perfect film with the exception of Denise Richards, till Bond kills Elektra, thought the finale was utterly boring.

3) DAD - again good in parts, hugely enjoyable until they leave they Ice palace (apart from the unnecessary face changing bits), uninvolving,overlong finale on the plane, loved
    Rosamunde Pike.

4) TND - something was wrong with the film, probably the complete lack of chemistry between Brosnan and Yeoh, overuse of product placement made it feel more like a series of long commercials, last not least Teri Hatcher was just awful.
    still had some decent action scenes, liked the teaser.

This is my order as well. I don't rate Goldeneye quite as high, but it is behind only DN, FRWL and TSWLM in my book. I really enjoy TWINE, but dislike Denise Richards more and more each time I watch it. DAD had it's good and bad moments. TND is near the bottom of my list.

Joel
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    A few weeks ago I would have DAD at the top but...

1 GE
    2 DAD
    3 TND
    4 TWINE

This is what my list stands like at the moment.

Four great films with lots of potential... I'm sorry too see Brosnan go. Hope the next Bond will be just as good as him!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • KhanKhan Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    My favorite of the four is Die Another Day by far, which I believe to be the most entertaining Bond film since The Spy Who Loved Me. It is also the best DVD for surround sound out there.

I can't say that I have a favorite between The World is Not Enough & Goldeneye, two of the series's best as well.

I love Tomorrow Never Dies but it just doesn't measure up to the other three.
  • Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    TWINE
    GE
    DAD
    TND
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    My list is the same as bladerunner's above, and pretty much for the same reasons

GE
    TND
    TWINE
    DAD

GE: solid film that really took Bond to a new level to which each successive Bond attempts to match.

As corny as TND was, it really delivered a lot of fun. TWINE on the other hand, seemed dull and unpolished to me. Other than the boat chase on the Thames, nothing else springs to mind about it.

DAD was just bad on too many levels for me. Off the top of my head, I can't even think of anything about it that I liked
  • IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent
    1. Goldeneye
    Brosnan's best, and probably my favourite in the series. It has all of the best elements that make a Bond film good, and then some.

2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    Perhaps it's got too much action for some, but I really enjoy this film. It's also the first one I saw in the cinemas. I love all of the characters, and like Goldeneye, it has a lot of traditonal stuff that makes Bond films worth seeing.

3. Die Another Day
    Ok the CG was too over-the-top for a Bond film, especially that scene with the iceberg and the entire scene with the plane falling to earth. However, it pays homage to the rest of the series and updates it for the current generation of film goers. The story is generally good, and I love the sword-fighting scene.

4. The World Is Not Enough
    Some great action sequences (particularly the PTS and the helicopter with the saw) are intertwined by a story that never develops into much of anything and is resolved in one of the most tedious endings to a Bond film yet. The character of Electra is interesting though. I thought this one could have used a bit more work on the script.
    1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. OP 5. FYEO 6. TLD 7. FRwL
    8. TSWLM 9. TMwtGG 10. AVtaK 11. SF 12. TND 13. LtK 14. NTtD
    15. MR 16. LaLD 17. YOLT 18. GF 19. DN 20. SP 21. TWiNE
    22. TB 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF
  • IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent
    1. Goldeneye
    Brosnan's best, and probably my favourite in the series. It has all of the best elements that make a Bond film good, and then some.

2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    Perhaps it's got too much action for some, but I really enjoy this film. It's also the first one I saw in the cinemas. I love all of the characters, and like Goldeneye, it has a lot of traditonal stuff that makes Bond films worth seeing.

3. Die Another Day
    Ok the CG was too over-the-top for a Bond film, especially that scene with the iceberg and the entire scene with the plane falling to earth. However, it pays homage to the rest of the series and updates it for the current generation of film goers. The story is generally good, and I love the sword-fighting scene.

4. The World Is Not Enough
    Some great action sequences (particularly the PTS and the helicopter with the saw) are intertwined by a story that never develops into much of anything and is resolved in one of the most tedious endings to a Bond film yet. The character of Electra is interesting though. I thought this one could have used a bit more work on the script.
    1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. OP 5. FYEO 6. TLD 7. FRwL
    8. TSWLM 9. TMwtGG 10. AVtaK 11. SF 12. TND 13. LtK 14. NTtD
    15. MR 16. LaLD 17. YOLT 18. GF 19. DN 20. SP 21. TWiNE
    22. TB 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    1. TWINE (perhaps becasue it's the first I ever saw at the cinema, it brings back great memories of a great time in my life!)
    2. GE (Sean Bean is a great baddie!)
    3. DAD (The first third is fabulous. The second two are crap.)
    4. TND (perhaps my least watched Bond film, I am warming to it.)
  • qhnhanqhnhan Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I judged these films on how many good moments it has and how good was the 'final fight' because all these film have bad parts to them.

Goldeneye - best final fight of all four. Moved quickly for a Bond film. The computer geek character was annoying to me. Lacked on location scenes that Bond film should have.

Tomorrow Never Dies - This film has many good scenes in it. Bond getting beat up in the back room. BMW chase. Print factory. Teri Hatcher with the doctor in the room. Bike chase. No chemistry between Yeoh and Brosnan. Final fight was second to Goldeneye.

Die Another Day - Very original title intro. Sword fight was good. The film totally lost it when moved to the 'ice palace'. Not to mentioned the plane that seems to took an hour to crash. Final fight was ok. A fight between two hot girls redeemed what would have been a bad one.

The World is Not Enough -- Started out well. No one bought Dennis Richard as a scientist. Villains were weak. Final fight was totally boring no energy.
  • SeansGalSeansGal Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    I've spent a lot of time lately watching the Brosnan Bond films.

after multiple viewings, I would rank them thus:

1. Goldeneye
    2. Die Another Day
    3. Tomorrow Never Dies
    4. The World is not Enough

I like the gal in Goldeneye. she is the best
    "Bond girl" ever, imo. She kicks butt, and is
    never all scared and waiting to be rescued.
    She's proactive instead of reactive. I love that. Plus, she's gorgeous in a really
    unique looking way.
    The action isn't all consuming, and the villians
    are adequate.

DAD has grown on me. I still don't like Jinx
    all that well. I don't think it's the character
    as much as Halle Berry's portrayal. She just
    smirks too much or something.

TND is ok. The plot is a bit lame, and the
    women leave me unimpressed. I like some moments.
    Bond is pensive and angsty, which is always
    interesting. The remote control car is cute.

TWINE rather sucks, imo.

I will only watch TWINE because Pierce Brosnan
    is so much fun to look upon. That man is delish, there's no doubt about it.
  • tmwtgg007tmwtgg007 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    1) TWINE-Great action and great Bond Girls
    2) GE-Great action and mediocre Bond Girls
    3) TND-Good action and not so good Bond Girls
    4) DAD-Mediocre film....cheezy

- "How's that grab you?"
    Roger Moore - Moonraker