Ranking the Brosnan Films

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Yeah, I like each & every actor to some degree or other

::Ducks in thread::

I hope you're not including Woody Allen in that statement (at least as Bond)! :))

::Ducks out of thread::
    Only EON movies! ;)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Nobody counting the great work he did as a stepdad. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Nobody counting the great work he did as a stepdad. :D
    You are a bad man TP...
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    GE
    TND
    TWINE (only fractionally below TND)
    DAD

Gustav Graves, poor story & atrocious CGI see off DAD for me. The Jinx character didn't particularly bother me tbh, plus I find Halle Berry to be a stunning looking woman ;% !!
  • icsics Posts: 1,413MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    What does the 23. 22., etc. mean?
    Means bottom of the entire list of movies.
    Hm, so it is as fanboy-ish as I thought.

Look, can you honestly say any Moore film, aside from maybe TSWLM and FYEO, could ever be better than GoldenEye? Or TWINE? It just seems to me that you're letting a possible personal dislikeness of Brosnan override your judgement.

Provocateur..
    Okkk here is the reason. When ever I feel in the mood for watching a bond movie it is about the feeling… do I want to go in Connery feeling (even DAF has a special charm)… Moore (I find the first so chic)… want to have Lazenby (dammm god one)… want my Dalton (Best actor in my mind) – or the DC version… I NEVER put a PB on the DVD sooo although perhaps not technically in the bottom I never watch them (could come)… soooooo 23-22-21 bla bla :D
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Best to worst:
    1.-TWINE
    2.-DAD
    3.-GE
    4.-TND
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    1. Goldeneye
    Best Brosnan movie as a whole
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    Could have got my top spot, somewhat of a controversial decision, but rates highly on my list due to it being the first Bond movie I saw and probably the one I have seen the most of. it being the only Bond movie I owned on Video for a long time.
    3. The World is Not Enough
    Enjoyable film, very good villain, some things grate on me however which tops me enjoying it completely.
    4. Die Another Day
    Urgh. In my opinion I very promising first half that then swiftly nose dives into the dirt.
    Solaris wrote:
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    Could have got my top spot, somewhat of a controversial decision, but rates highly on my list
    YES!!! Good to see love for this underrated Bond!!! :x
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Brosnan Best to Worst:

1. GoldenEye
    2. TWINE
    3. TND
    4. DAD
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JohnMastersonJohnMasterson MinnesotaPosts: 326MI6 Agent
    GoldenEye is number 1 for me. The rest of his Bond films are number zeroes.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
    Your aparrent lack of appreciation for TND forces me to respond thusly:
    PPK's at dawn, then?
    :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    PPK's at dawn, then?

Tomorrow Never Dies sucks in my opinion because of the Sheryl Crow song at the beginning. It should have been Surrender by KD Lang. And Crow's ugly tune should've been in the end credits. The movie tries to convince you that there was something special between Brosnan and Hatcher but it falls flat. It's not Pierce Brosnan's fault that he has no chemistry with Teri Hatcher, it's God damn Teri's fault. And it was even more of the producer team's fault for casting Hatcher in the first place.

They should've known that they were stuck with Pierce Brosnan for the rest of the 90's (for better or worse) and it was their job to cast someone who Pierce could actually work with, and have a believable relationship with, in front of the camera. The Michelle Yeoh character always annoyed me because of the way she was written. She was always better than James Bond and OO7 was supposed to be the best at what he does. Not to mention that Barbara and Michael forced the director to follow the James Bond blueprint of actually having Bond **** with one of the ladies at the end.

And it was contrived because Brosnan had even less chemistry with Yeoh than he did with Hatcher. The most on-screen chemistry Brosnan had was when he was pretending to pork that blonde bimbo in bed when he received a phone call from Samantha Bond with her new lesbian style hair cut.

Anyway, I guess I just expect more from Bond movies than you. Because I'm not just looking for escapist action movies that are tons of fun. I'm actually looking for Bond pictures that are better written than most people would give them credit for. I suppose you can't call GoldenEye that, but it was written more like The Living Daylights than the rest of the Pierce Brosnan Bond Age.
    "Goodbye, my son. Our hopes and dreams travel with you." Jor-El ~ Man of Steel (2013)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,290MI6 Agent
    Face/Off was the film that delivered the Bond-style thrills that year. They tried to nick the boat chase for TWINE, but it wasn't as good.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Isn't it true that Brosnan and Terri Hatcher really didn't get on during the filming??

I'm pretty sure (although it may be the stuff of urban legend) that she kept him waiting about on set and he let fly a few choice words. I think she was pregnant at the time and was ill from that, but I don't think it washed with Pierce. The slap scene was also a tad harder than he expected as well :v
    Ens007 wrote:
    Isn't it true that Brosnan and Terri Hatcher really didn't get on during the filming??

I'm pretty sure (although it may be the stuff of urban legend) that she kept him waiting about on set and he let fly a few choice words. I think she was pregnant at the time and was ill from that, but I don't think it washed with Pierce. The slap scene was also a tad harder than he expected as well :v

It just wasn't good business from a creative standpoint to have Teri Hatcher on set, especially if she was six months pregnant. She should've been home nursing the baby in her tummy. I don't care if it was stunt casting that Barbara and Michael wanted, Teri Hatcher should've been fired in my not so humble opinion.

Tomorrow Never Dies sucks in my opinion because of the Sheryl Crow song at the beginning. It should have been Surrender by KD Lang. And Crow's ugly tune should've been in the end credits.
    I'm actually looking for Bond pictures that are better written than most people would give them credit for. I suppose you can't call GoldenEye that, but it was written more like The Living Daylights than the rest of the Pierce Brosnan Bond Age.
    Okay, I can't fault these observations...
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

Tomorrow Never Dies sucks in my opinion because of the Sheryl Crow song at the beginning. It should have been Surrender by KD Lang. And Crow's ugly tune should've been in the end credits.
    I'm actually looking for Bond pictures that are better written than most people would give them credit for. I suppose you can't call GoldenEye that, but it was written more like The Living Daylights than the rest of the Pierce Brosnan Bond Age.
    Okay, I can't fault these observations...

No, although TND was the first James Bond film that I actually saw in the cinema in January 1998. It is too much of an action film - no real Fleming elements there. It's pretty far down my list although the Rupert Murdoch-style villain Elliott Carver was very interesting!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    For me, Michelle Yeoh was one of the best things about TND. It never appeared to me that her character was written to be better than Bond, although she is surely more than just window-dressing, which is fine with me.
    chrisisall wrote:
    PPK's at dawn, then?

Tomorrow Never Dies sucks in my opinion because of the Sheryl Crow song at the beginning. It should have been Surrender by KD Lang. And Crow's ugly tune should've been in the end credits. The movie tries to convince you that there was something special between Brosnan and Hatcher but it falls flat. It's not Pierce Brosnan's fault that he has no chemistry with Teri Hatcher, it's God damn Teri's fault. And it was even more of the producer team's fault for casting Hatcher in the first place.

They should've known that they were stuck with Pierce Brosnan for the rest of the 90's (for better or worse) and it was their job to cast someone who Pierce could actually work with, and have a believable relationship with, in front of the camera. The Michelle Yeoh character always annoyed me because of the way she was written. She was always better than James Bond and OO7 was supposed to be the best at what he does. Not to mention that Barbara and Michael forced the director to follow the James Bond blueprint of actually having Bond **** with one of the ladies at the end.

And it was contrived because Brosnan had even less chemistry with Yeoh than he did with Hatcher. The most on-screen chemistry Brosnan had was when he was pretending to pork that blonde bimbo in bed when he received a phone call from Samantha Bond with her new lesbian style hair cut.

Anyway, I guess I just expect more from Bond movies than you. Because I'm not just looking for escapist action movies that are tons of fun. I'm actually looking for Bond pictures that are better written than most people would give them credit for. I suppose you can't call GoldenEye that, but it was written more like The Living Daylights than the rest of the Pierce Brosnan Bond Age.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Meh, Wai Lin sucks booty IMO. But then again, Christmas Jones sucks even more, and Jinx EVEN more. Brosnan clearly has no taste in women :)) (Natayla was ok though)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    If we're talking only about looks, I think Brosnan's women were great!
    Jarvio wrote:
    Meh, Wai Lin sucks booty IMO. But then again, Christmas Jones sucks even more, and Jinx EVEN more. Brosnan clearly has no taste in women :)) (Natayla was ok though)
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:

Looks yeah I'll give you that. (Although Jinx isn't my cup of tea, but that's personal preference)

Christmas Jones is an example of someone with extremely fine looks, but poor character IMO
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    I agree that the characters of Christmas Jones and Jinx weren't great characters. But as for looks - Jinx (Halle Berry) is near the top of my list of ALL Bond girls (definitely my cup of tea, along with Talisa Soto, Lucianna Paluzzo and Lana Wood).
    Jarvio wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:

Looks yeah I'll give you that. (Although Jinx isn't my cup of tea, but that's personal preference)

Christmas Jones is an example of someone with extremely fine looks, but poor character IMO
    But as for looks - Jinx (Halle Berry) is near the top of my list of ALL Bond girls (definitely my cup of tea

You & me both Blackleiter. Halle is truly stunning IMO & a naturally beautiful woman.
    You, sir, have impeccable taste! -{
    Ens007 wrote:
    But as for looks - Jinx (Halle Berry) is near the top of my list of ALL Bond girls (definitely my cup of tea

You & me both Blackleiter. Halle is truly stunning IMO & a naturally beautiful woman.
    For me, Michelle Yeoh was one of the best things about TND. It never appeared to me that her character was written to be better than Bond, although she is surely more than just window-dressing, which is fine with me.

I can't believe I have to quote somebody else's review because you can't figure this out for yourself. Bond uses the decoder device to find the devonshire, but Michelle Yeoh was already there...How the hell did she find the God damn devonshire!?

When Bond and Michelle Yeoh introduce themselves to Eliot Carver, Bond immediately has suspicion cast upon him and gets beaten up by some of Carver's henchmen. But Carver is ready to give Michelle Yeoh a job. Bond breaks into Carver's lab and steals the decoder device, then he alerts the whole building to his presence and he has to kill some guards to get out but still Carver knows it was him. Yeoh casually slips out seemingly undetected. Bond gets Paris Carver killed. And we don't see if Michelle Yeoh gets any of her old acquaintances killed but she probably doesn't. (I keep using Michelle Yeoh's real name instead of her character name, by the way, because I don't respect her character.)

Also, if Michelle Yeoh spent all of her time looking for the devonshire WITHOUT Eliot's decoder device then it kind makes her a better agent than Bond because she was lucky enough to find the devonshire by happenstance. This is the tricky thing about teaming Bond up with a female secret agent. It's a great chance to see Bond working with a strong woman, where the character is less passive and she has a reasonable argument to go along on the mission with him, where she can hold her own all the through, but she shouldn't be as smart and as strong as James Bond.

It makes OO7 appear to be less special. Bond has teamed up with other secret agents in the past and the best ones have been where it's a more of a balanced relationship. The girl one-ups Bond and then Bond one-ups the girl. OO7 is supposed to the be best agent in the world. No one else is like him. He's the only man for this mission and he's the only one who can stop the villain...That's pretty much gone when he's teamed with an agent who's better than he is. It makes him start to look like an average spy. It was starting to look like M should have just let Michelle Yeoh handle things.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    JohnMasterson wrote :
    Bond uses the decoder device to find the devonshire, but Michelle Yeoh was already there...How the hell did she find the God damn devonshire!?

I'm sure the chinese fighters sent the correct location back to their hq. She is also
    a woman, Hence she's always right. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bond uses the decoder device to find the devonshire, but Michelle Yeoh was already there...How the hell did she find the God damn devonshire!?
    She did calculations on the probable sinking point based on where it was reported to have sunk vs. the possible course it was tricked into to enter Vietnamese territory and interpolated correctly. So she's good at that...Or like TP said above, she got the intel...
    When Bond and Michelle Yeoh introduce themselves to Eliot Carver, Bond immediately has suspicion cast upon him and gets beaten up by some of Carver's henchmen. But Carver is ready to give Michelle Yeoh a job.
    Clearly Bond's better known in low-life circles than Lin.
    Bond breaks into Carver's lab and steals the decoder device, then he alerts the whole building to his presence and he has to kill some guards to get out but still Carver knows it was him.
    He guesses correctly based on his men being dispatched before the 'station break'.
    she shouldn't be as smart and as strong as James Bond.
    She was smart in different ways & nowhere near as strong, jeeze, you really have it out for this entertaining little flick, don't you? :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    She did calculations on the probable sinking point based on where it was reported to have sunk vs. the possible course it was tricked into to enter Vietnamese territory and interpolated correctly. So she's good at that...Or like TP said above, she got the intel...
    When Bond and Michelle Yeoh introduce themselves to Eliot Carver, Bond immediately has suspicion cast upon him and gets beaten up by some of Carver's henchmen. But Carver is ready to give Michelle Yeoh a job.
    Clearly Bond's better known in low-life circles than Lin.
    Bond breaks into Carver's lab and steals the decoder device, then he alerts the whole building to his presence and he has to kill some guards to get out but still Carver knows it was him.
    He guesses correctly based on his men being dispatched before the 'station break'.
    she shouldn't be as smart and as strong as James Bond.
    She was smart in different ways & nowhere near as strong, jeeze, you really have it out for this entertaining little flick, don't you? :))

I don't care if it's "entertaining" to you because entertainment is subjective. By the way I was basically quoting a guy from a website called "HaphazardStuff" he's overly critical with all of his Pierce Brosnan Bond reviews and I agree with most of his opinions, except on GoldenEye. In my opinion GoldenEye was written like The Living Daylights but without the Cold War backround. I believe more Bond films should be like The Living Daylights.
    I was basically quoting a guy from a website called "HaphazardStuff" he's overly critical with all of his Pierce Brosnan Bond reviews and I agree with most of his opinions
    I'm at a loss here... if he's 'overly critical' but you agree with most of his opinions, are you saying that you too are overly critical? Or did you just post fast & word it questionably? ?:)
    GoldenEye was written like The Living Daylights but without the Cold War backround. I believe more Bond films should be like The Living Daylights.
    Total agreement here! -{
    edited November 2012
    chrisisall wrote:
    I'm at a loss here... if he's 'overly critical' but you agree with most of his opinions, are you saying that you too are overly critical? Or did you just post fast & word it questionably?

He's overly critical because he doesn't like Pierce Brosnan. I, myself, am neutral on Pierce Brosnan. I don't think any of Pierce Brosnan's Bond films after GoldenEye are any good, because I believe they're just bad movies. I don't care if you want escapist entertainment, because I'm pretty sure that escapist movies can be made in a such fashion where they are still sophisticated, cohesive, cinema.

I guess, after GoldenEye, they tried to make Pierce Brosnan look more like the Roger Moore James Bond but it didn't work. Pierce Brosnan was not Roger Moore. Pierce Brosnan was not Sean Connery. Pierce Brosnan was not George Lazenby. Pierce Brosnan was not Timothy Dalton....In my humble opinion, Pierce Brosnan was Remington Steele and he had a hard time shaking Remington Steele after the TV show was cancelled. And I think they should have ran with the idea that Pierce was Remington in the movies, they could have had four Bond films where the James Bond character was a cross between OO7 and Inspector Jacques Clouseau.