1,676

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Well, the key is in the word 'collection'. When you have that word, or collector, it's always just a way of getting blokes to buy something that ordinarily they'd not look twice at, but because it 'completes the set' then you feel you have to. And it always is blokes, I'm susceptible myself, it just seems to trigger something off.

Personally I couldn't consider buying most of the stuff in this collection, it's just way too obscure. I'm not put out by the stuff that isn't cars, I mean that's a bonus imo esp the Dragon Tank. But I cherry picked the best ones retrospectively, personally the early TWINE BMW stuff and obvious ones early on put me off from subscribing early on, and just as well.

It's funny too, had I wandered into some antique shop and seen the Dragon Tank for sale, mint condition, I'd have been desperate to snap it up even at four times the price. Now I can buy it, no hassle, it's available, I can't quite be bothered. I've bought the Dr No Sunbeam Alpine and it's nice, but it's v much a case of, okay, I've got it, it's there, so what? It's like the purchase on eBay that gives you that little flourish, little jingle and then it arrives in the post, you forget about it and move onto the next little jingle and accessing the paypal account... consumerism in action.  ajb007/frown

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

1,677

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

I think for some collectors the real buzz can often be in the anticipation of what is to come and 'the hunt', not what is hoarded away which might even end up seeming a bit unrewarding .

For me it's been fascinating checking out this forum and 'Kingsmodel' on eBay for news of what's coming up (and I shall miss it when the series ends) plus I've enjoyed receiving the models as and when, especially the unusual ones like the Q-Boat or the really well crafted presentations like the Lotus-sub.

There's also some comfort in the fact that some of the money spent on these can be recovered if necessary by selling on ebay  – maybe not the whole amount paid but part of it at least. The interest in Bond model vehicles seems to be perennial. In contrast, some part works end up being worthless. A while ago, my son collected 'Star Trek Fact Files', which was originally advertised as 96 issues, but ran on and on until he eventually gave up at issue 200, costing him £400 in total. Hardly anybody is interested in these items now and he'd be lucky to get £10 for the lot.

Overall, I think the JBCC set is remarkable and don't regret buying any of them. After years of mediocrity from other JB die-cast manufacturers these seem like the makers are really interested in the models, and it's amazed me just how quickly each of the JB cars have been produced, bearing in mind the inclusion of figures, fine detailing and dioramas.

Last edited by MovieCarFan (1st May 2010 22:54)

1,678

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Like Hummerth2 I also haven't liked all of the releases, but understand that other collectors feel differently.  The first one that I disliked was the Moon Buggy, but clearly I was in the minority on that one ...

I also will not be rushing into another partwork collection once this one is done, if ever again.  40 x £8 is a whack different from 110 x £8 ... the total investment required to have all the issues is quite high when one adds it up!!  This is one reason I won't be signing up for the new 1/8th DB5 partwork when it eventually launches in my country.

On the positive side, like MovieCarFan, I have greatly enjoyed the experience of this collection.  I probably would not have joined this forum if it weren't for the JBCC, as beyond the Fleming book set and the Ultimate DVD set I have not before had much of a Bond-collecting mindset.  I too will miss the anticipation of the next model "reveal" from KingsModel ajb007/smile

Despite some misgivings, I am commited to seeing the JBCC through to N°110 ..... assuming my local distributor doesn't decide to do as the French one has just done and end the series early (they have stopped on N°84, the Dragon Tank - and those poor guys on the French forums are now scrambling to find a British source from which to buy the remaing issues!!).

1,679

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

I am very sad to read comments from guys like Hummerth2. They are obviously not Bond fans and obviously not fans of this great, amazing collection!! What a whiner!

I can't believe people complaining about 8 pounds for the model, you should try paying what the collection costs me to get to Canada!  Get over it!

Lets hear more from the rear fans of the real fans

I hope Fabbri keeps the collection going as long as possible and please bring on the weird stuff...flying Matadors and everything!!!!

1,680

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Canuck007 wrote:

I am very sad to read comments from guys like Hummerth2. They are obviously not Bond fans and obviously not fans of this great, amazing collection!! What a whiner!

I can't believe people complaining about 8 pounds for the model, you should try paying what the collection costs me to get to Canada!  Get over it!

Lets hear more from the rear fans of the real fans

I hope Fabbri keeps the collection going as long as possible and please bring on the weird stuff...flying Matadors and everything!!!!

I myself like FACT, have never collected any models(more records,than anything!!) but I have enjoyed the collection,& overall found the model super(apart from 1 or 2!!) but like Canuck007, £8 is not a lot to pay(less than a take-away!) and I also have my up & down moments during the collection..so I say keep em comin'..I have aslo subcribed to the new DB5 & can't wait to see a 2ft model car complete. ajb007/martini ajb007/bond

1,681

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

I also have never ever collectect anything else than this collection. And i like the collection oke in the beginning it was to be 40 now it´s 110. Meaning that  at the end of this collection i will have spend 1420,90 (euro´s) about 909,30 euro´s more than when it would have stopt at 40 but so what.  And yes some models i like more than others but that normal i guess. I´am now half way i got nr 55 (dodge monaco-avtak) last wednesday. I go to store every 2 weaks to pick-up my new model. So it looks like it will take me another 2years i think to get them all if they don´t extent again. I will go on with this collection even if it mean more than 110 models. I do hope fabri update´s it 110 list soon so we now what´s still comming.

1,682

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Surely if the collection has ended in other countries then the remainder of the collection available here in the UK will grow in value?

There are some atrocious  models, the Ford GT is a prime example but out of 80something models to date the vast majority are very good quality especially when considering the price.

My collection is stored in boxes in a spare room and only occasionally do it get them all out and admire them or show them off to friends. I collect a lot of die cast model cars and most are stored away never to see the light of day. Perhaps one day I will have a son to pass them on to with strict instructions to keep them in good condition and pass them onto to his offspring or perhaps I will have a large enough house with a room designated to my hoardes. At the moment I enjoy spending a Sunday afternoon unboxing them all, arranging them on the floor like a 10 year old kid and having to tidy them up at the end of the day.

I have considered the new DB5 subscription, but a few words from the wife shot that idea out of the sky.

1,683

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Dokk, you misunderstood me - I am very much a model collector, my 1/43 scale diecast model car collection (from Minichamps, Norev, AutoArt, etc) is currently around 200 models (excluding the JBCC) ... which is not a big collection compared to what some of the members of my local model collectors club have!  I have some of the Minichamps series of James Bond models, so I agree that the price of the JBCC is very reasonable in comparison to that!

I started with this collection for two reasons - I am a James Bond fan (I own every DVD except CR1, all the Fleming books, Colonel Sun, and most of the Gardiner books) AND I am a 1/43 diecast car collector - and I LOVED the dioramas supplied with the models!

However, display space is not limitless, my pockets are not bottomless, I am aware of the investment I put into my collections (and my ability to get it back, if needed) ... and the fact that not every motorised vehicle that appeared in a James Bond movie appeals to every collector.

I believe that the tide of sentiment out there is turning against this collection - for evidence, note the ending of this partwork series in France at N°84 (France is one of the biggest partwork markets in Europe, if not the biggest) and the increasing number of British collectors bailing out and putting their collections up for sale on eBay.

Let's just hope that GE Fabbri gives us in the remaining issues some of the cars that really ought to have been in the collection already, such as the FYEO Mercedes 280SE on the cliff-edge and the TWINE Lada Niva - and NOT another of Colonel Moon's supercars!

1,684

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

FACT wrote:

Dokk, you misunderstood me - I am very much a model collector, my 1/43 scale diecast model car collection (from Minichamps, Norev, AutoArt, etc) is currently around 200 models (excluding the JBCC) ... which is not a big collection compared to what some of the members of my local model collectors club have!  I have some of the Minichamps series of James Bond models, so I agree that the price of the JBCC is very reasonable in comparison to that!

I started with this collection for two reasons - I am a James Bond fan (I own every DVD except CR1, all the Fleming books, Colonel Sun, and most of the Gardiner books) AND I am a 1/43 diecast car collector - and I LOVED the dioramas supplied with the models!

However, display space is not limitless, my pockets are not bottomless, I am aware of the investment I put into my collections (and my ability to get it back, if needed) ... and the fact that not every motorised vehicle that appeared in a James Bond movie appeals to every collector.

I believe that the tide of sentiment out there is turning against this collection - for evidence, note the ending of this partwork series in France at N°84 (France is one of the biggest partwork markets in Europe, if not the biggest) and the increasing number of British collectors bailing out and putting their collections up for sale on eBay.

Let's just hope that GE Fabbri gives us in the remaining issues some of the cars that really ought to have been in the collection already, such as the FYEO Mercedes 280SE on the cliff-edge and the TWINE Lada Niva - and NOT another of Colonel Moon's supercars!

Sorry ! Mis-read , the old eyes ain't what they used to be.... ajb007/martini ajb007/bond

1,685

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Canuck007 wrote:

I am very sad to read comments from guys like Hummerth2. They are obviously not Bond fans and obviously not fans of this great, amazing collection!! What a whiner!

I can't believe people complaining about 8 pounds for the model, you should try paying what the collection costs me to get to Canada!  Get over it!

Lets hear more from the rear fans of the real fans

I hope Fabbri keeps the collection going as long as possible and please bring on the weird stuff...flying Matadors and everything!!!!

I'm sorry you have to pay a load to complete your collection, but I can't help where you live and your aquiring this collection. I've had problems buying some stuff in the UK as well, stuff that I had to get from America, so we all have to pay extra sometimes for what we want.

Firstly I am a Bond fan, not a die hard fan admittedly, I have DVD's, books, film posters, other Bond model cars, oh and I have a real Bond car, a Lotus Esprit and Caroline Munro was kind enough to pose in it for me, so yeah maybe not as big a fan as some! ajb007/wink

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x168/Hummerth2/Caroline%20Munro%2009/CarolineMunro05.jpg


I also collect other series, Terminator and Star Wars, as well as being a massive car fan collecting model cars. So my original reason to collect this series was because I do like JB and I like cars, so I decided to go for the collection, but I don't spend every penny on just JB.

The reason why I wish it would finish is the fact that they are in my view milking this collection. As it's been mentioned it's mostly men collecting this series if not all are men, when I signed up I asked how many would there be, 52 I was told, I thought, not an unreasonable amount to invest in and I have no problems with the product, they are fine models and diorama's.

But then I hit the 52 figure to find it's continuing to possibly 85, so I also carried on, I've gone this far so I might as well go the rest to complete my set, but here we are again. 110 is the supposed 'final figure', that's another £200, my original investment was £415, at the end of this it's gonna be £878, that is not how much I thought I would have to spend to complete this collection.

I have no problem with the price of the models, not even my original investment figure, what annoys me most of all is this 'final figure' for the collection, it shouldn't keep changing, they should have set a figure and stuck with that. I have money, but from the start I wanted to know what figure I was investing in this collection, but it doesn't stop and keeps getting bigger.

The only other area that annoys me are the vehicles that you just can't place in a movie, and it's standing in the movies. The collection should have been called JB vehicles collection, the full set figure should have been stated, they could have even said what would be in the collection, even better, ask the fans before hand in a poll for the 50 best vehicles and that's what you get. It wouldn't have made the collecting of this series any less fun or what ever, but at least you would know what you were signing up for.

My personal view is it's cheapened the collection making it so big, I'm considering removing the cars from the diorama's to display them all, I don't have the room for the diorama as well, I'm also gonna stop soon, I'm not gonna invest anymore in it, and as I've said, I will never buy another collector part series ever again, just because you don't know when it will finish, you have no guarantees of a final figure.

So yeah you can call me a whiner or whatever, but like some here already, enough is enough with this collection, stop this one. If people want more Fabbri should start a new JB collector series 'Every item that's ever been in a JB movie ever collection' that should cover it! Or how about 3 inch figurines of all the women JB's bedded, that would be a high number series!

1,686

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

To be honest I have had enough of this collection, I don't even open the boxes anymore ajb007/lol , I'm going to cancel and go with the new DB5, at least I can display that ajb007/insane

***One day at a time***

1,687

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Hi all, I havent posted for a while but view the forum with interest on a daily basis and with the recent differing comments on whether the collection should end/carry on or whether it should stick to cars/other models I felt I should lend my opinions to the debate.  I too have been with the JBCC since the beginning and intend to be there at the end whenever that may be!  It is also the first collection I have stuck with all the way through.  At present mine are all stored in boxes as I intend to make a custom display which is something I cannot do until I know exact numbers and what space my wife will allow me to have!!

I agree that there has been a number of what I call 'dummies' that should not have made the collection but that is far outweighed by the good ones, remember though what I would call a 'dummy' model others would not agree and vice versa so i guess at the end of the day all the cars probably deserve to be in the collection and we definately cannot grumble at what we are getting for the price.

I disagree with those that are calling for it to stick to a car collection.  As a James Bond fan I am looking forward to many more obscure vehicles especially those that are iconically related to the franchise, there are some very exciting prospects on lists posted by others previously.  Those that are calling for an end to the collection should stop doing so or you could potentially spoil it for others who want to carry on, it would be ashame to have collected for so long then miss out on some great vehicles.

What would be good from GE Fabbri is some clarification on the intentions of the collection on their website (i believe this has been previoulsy mentioned).  I think we should be informed when they intend to extend the collection as a matter of courtesy rather than just do it therefore giving the collector the choice to continue or not.  I also believe it is time that the long time subscribers should be rewarded for their loyalty.  If you remember back to when we first signed up for the collection we had the choice to tick a box agreeing to 'special editions' being released - where are these?

I look forward to reading all your comments on the forum and love sharing the things others have done to their dioramas some of which I hope to get round to do myself - keep up the good work guys.

1,688

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

MovieCarFan wrote:

For me it's been fascinating checking out this forum and 'Kingsmodel' on eBay for news of what's coming up (and I shall miss it when the series ends) plus I've enjoyed receiving the models as and when, especially the unusual ones like the Q-Boat or the really well crafted presentations like the Lotus-sub.

Think you have hit the nail on the head here; I check this site daily and enjoy 'the hunt' as much as anything. I am also in the lucky situation of being able to display all of the collection together.

Like Dokk says we all have our up & down moments during the collection, but it is important to remember how amazing this collection is, I count only 1 bad issue in the 85 we have had so far.  However I did not sign up to this collection to have a series of good models at good value, they should all have Bond relevance as well.

If this collection is truly going up to 110 then we still have 20 issues that we are yet to see. I have just relooked over imcdb and I can count 25 models of Bond relevance  that I would be interested in owning however 2 of these are DB5s which I know would be unpopular with some of you, and at least 5 of these would involve making bigger boxes which I think is unlikely at this stage in the game. Having said this, if they did start to make bigger boxes then they could extend the life of this collection by at least another year. God help us. (This list contains no Rolls Royces for obvious reasons)
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm336/ajk92007/Untitled.jpg

does anyone disagree with this list?

They could also include the hover gondola, and god knows what else if the continue with vehicles.

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm336/ajk92007/AllBonds-1.png

1,689

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

I've read all the above comments & can see both sides of the argument.
I've stuck it out this far, but now they've brought out the big DB5 to run on top, I just cannot afford both at the same time so I've cancelled my subscription. Why they didn't wait until the car collection was nearing its end 1st, I don't know, bit like shooting themselves in the foot going by how many people have become disheartened.

I would have seen this collection to the end purely to have the "complete collection"  but I will make sure I have all of the models eventually by back orders or good old eBay, and I agree it should never have got this far without us all being informed 1st, plus I agree there should have been a round figure & then they should have stuck to it!
They could have replaced some of the less interesting vehicles (GT40 etc) with the Rollers, that would have made a big difference to collectors, but the Q boat & Dragon tank are unique in themselves, so they are greatly accepted into my collection.
We pay our money & make our choice so to speak.

I display all of my collection all the time as I'm lucky enough to have the space & I buy these JB items not for future value but for my own pleasure.

That's my ten pence worth.

1,690

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

By the reading of some of these posts (articulate and interesting as they are) I got to thinking that once you subscribe you are committed to the end, no matter how much they extend it. Surely that's not true? Otherwise the gripes are beginning to sound like the gag about the kid at school who opens his packed lunch and says, "Tuna sandwiches! Every day it's tuna! I'm sick of it"
Replies his pal, "Well, why don't you ask your mom to make you something else?"
"Huh, stupid! I make them myself!"  ajb007/biggrin

As for enjoying the 'hunt', what hunt? They get posted to you. You may as well enter a fishmongers with a rod and tackle.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

1,691

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Napoleon Plural wrote:

By the reading of some of these posts (articulate and interesting as they are) I got to thinking that once you subscribe you are committed to the end, no matter how much they extend it. Surely that's not true?

Correct, it isn't a legal binding contract, but I for one was going to see it to the end from a "collectors" point of view while others buy the ones they want for their own reasons. 
I will now "cherry pick" the rest then pick up the last few as time goes by, same as I would for other Bond related items such as rare Corgi juniors etc..

Everyone has their own reasons for collecting JB related models, mine is purely for pleasure. (My wife sees them as her pension fund & my son sees them as his inheritance!)

1,692

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

hello all,  so is it definitley gonna be 110 issues - or did they say it could change again ??

i was gonna sell mine but decided they are too good - so i've kept em !!

those of you who are displaying them,  what about the magazines - do just keep them in their "holders" nearby ???

oh, i've also subscribed to the new 1/8 scale DB5 - but don't tell the other half !!!

1,693

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

I don't actually subscribe, I just get them from my local newagent special order, well not any more when I pop in this week, I'm gonna cancel the order. The newsagent I order from are quite sympathetic, they see it happening with loads of weekly collector series going on forever. I thought about continuing to 110, but then it could still carry on, make it a nice round £1000 for Fabbri from each collector! ajb007/wink

To be honest I don't think there is any doubt to the quality of the models in this collection, they are a nice product at a reasonable price. I think the issue is this never ending finish figure to complete this collection, they should have been honest up front and said how many they planned to include. You are not telling me these last few have 'just been added', it's marketing.

Get you on board with a low number, 40-50, then, oh! We have added some more, they know we will continue, we are collectors, so then again at 85, they've managed to add some more!

Some one way before this collection even started has crawled through every Bond movie listing every vehicle that appeared, it was perhaps decided before it even began how many there would be. Even George Lucas intenstions were to make nine films in the SW series when he started over 30 years ago, he didn't just decide to do some more.

Last edited by Hummerth2 (10th May 2010 20:47)

1,694

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

ak007 wrote:
MovieCarFan wrote:

For me it's been fascinating checking out this forum and 'Kingsmodel' on eBay for news of what's coming up (and I shall miss it when the series ends) plus I've enjoyed receiving the models as and when, especially the unusual ones like the Q-Boat or the really well crafted presentations like the Lotus-sub.

Think you have hit the nail on the head here; I check this site daily and enjoy 'the hunt' as much as anything. I am also in the lucky situation of being able to display all of the collection together.

Like Dokk says we all have our up & down moments during the collection, but it is important to remember how amazing this collection is, I count only 1 bad issue in the 85 we have had so far.  However I did not sign up to this collection to have a series of good models at good value, they should all have Bond relevance as well.

If this collection is truly going up to 110 then we still have 20 issues that we are yet to see. I have just relooked over imcdb and I can count 25 models of Bond relevance  that I would be interested in owning however 2 of these are DB5s which I know would be unpopular with some of you, and at least 5 of these would involve making bigger boxes which I think is unlikely at this stage in the game. Having said this, if they did start to make bigger boxes then they could extend the life of this collection by at least another year. God help us. (This list contains no Rolls Royces for obvious reasons)
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm336/ajk92007/Untitled.jpg

does anyone disagree with this list?

They could also include the hover gondola, and god knows what else if the continue with vehicles.


WHAT!!!! No Elephant???????.Lol

1,695

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

They will have to send us new mag holders if they are going to up the collection!!! ajb007/martini ajb007/bond

1,696

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Just got 86-87 very good detail especially on the Renault! They have wipers on the front lights which is a nice touch. Plus I can confirm that 88 is the Cadillac Hearse not the anglia as thought.

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm336/ajk92007/AllBonds-1.png

1,697

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

ak007 wrote:

Just got 86-87 very good detail especially on the Renault! They have wipers on the front lights which is a nice touch. Plus I can confirm that 88 is the Cadillac Hearse not the anglia as thought.

Maybe because of the typo error in the Anglia, they have pulled it ,  or it will be a later issue with the proper film title???? ajb007/martini ajb007/bond

1,698

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

ak007 wrote:

Just got 86-87 very good detail especially on the Renault! They have wipers on the front lights which is a nice touch. Plus I can confirm that 88 is the Cadillac Hearse not the anglia as thought.

Yea!! Just got my two..super wee models..very pleased. ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini ajb007/bond

1,699

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

The last list we got was for Issues 81 through 96 -  the progress on that list so far is:

Issued:
81 GP Beach Buggy (For Your Eyes Only)
82 Q Boat (The World Is Not Enough)
83 Peugeot 504 (For Your Eyes Only)
84 Dragon Tank (Dr No)
85 Land Rover Defender (Casino Royale)
86 Renault Fuego (A View To A Kill)
87 Parahawk (The World Is Not Enough)

Next:
88 Cadillac Hearse (Diamonds Are Forever)

Seen on eBay:
89 Ford Anglia (Dr No)
90 Acrostar (Octopussy)
91 Ford Edge (Quantum Of Solace)

Yet to be seen/confirmed:
92 La Salle Hearse (Dr No)
93 AEC Regent Decapitated Bus (Live And Let Die)
94 Mercedes 190 Binz Ambulance (Thunderball)
95 Osprey 5 Hovercraft (Die Another Day)
96 Chevrolet C-10 Ambulance (Moonraker)

Last edited by FACT (8th May 2010 11:33)

1,700

Re: James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

hey all, i spoke to GE Fabbri yesterday and they confirmed 110 is definitely the final figure !!!