Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Glad to hear the day went off without any hitches, AS. Funerals are never easy but focus on all of the happier times you shared together as father and son, as TP says. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent
    Your dad is only a memory away, AS, he will be gladdened to know that he raised a such loving and thoughtful son.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys , as I said before ,its something you dread happening ,even as a boy ,I used to think what will happen when my dad dies ,but he hung on till he was 80. But in a way ,he is still here ,he is in me ,he is in my son and my grandson . I have pictures of him and VCR ,and I believe that one day we will meet again ,and no doubt we will still moan at the failures of Millwall FC :)) :)) :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    I think we all dread the day our father dies, and I hope you are coping well. Today my father and I walked around the farm to find the "border stones", slabs of stones set on the side in the ground to mark where the borders between the farms go. They were put there 66 years ago when new borders were agreed upon. Doing this with my father felt a strangely significant, and now reading about AS' loss of his father felt touching. Those of us lucky to still have our parents among us should be greatful and hopefully AS has many wonderful memories of his father.

120px-1878-grensestein_Aker_Kristiania_nr_8.JPG
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Your dad is only a memory away, AS, he will be gladdened to know that he raised a such loving and thoughtful son.
    {[]
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just discovered a new way to find out if you're over weight.
    Use a bit of string to measure your height, then double it
    ( Half it's length) if this can then fit round your waist, you're OK. :D

I couldn't find any string so used some rubber bands tied together
    and the go over my belly, no problem. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    This is the finest time of the year. Sheep grazing, rivers running full of water from melted snow from the mountains etc, blah, blah, blah ....
    BUT: Yesterday the neighbour started spreading manure on his fields. As a result the postcard outside reeks and we sit inside, hatches battened down. :# :))

BTW: 's**t' was censured into "undesired refuse matter" :)) :)) :))
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Mrs AA's 'Favourite Little Boy' got slightly dirty and wet on his walk today, so she decided to give him a wash and blow dry.

IMG_1173.jpg
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    Mrs AA's 'Favourite Little Boy' got slightly dirty and wet on his walk today, so she decided to give him a wash and blow dry.

IMG_1173.jpg

Hard-knock-life.gif
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3584780/Jeremy-Clarkson-s-new-called-Grand-Tour.html
    The new Clarkson Top Gear is to be called Grand Tour.
    I think they weren't allowed to use the word " Gear" in a title.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    For those who are interested: I have posted many photos from Special Operations Executive (SOE) training and operations during WWII (and an MI6/SIS radio base) here: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/823076/#p823076
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

IMG_1173.jpg

From the pic, I'd say that he hates you now :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    On the subject of Norovirus:

I am usually pretty casual when it comes to hygene. I was my hands after the loo, but besides that, I don't do much.

That changes when I board a ship.

The cruise lines constantly remind people to take precautions and it's shocking to see how people behave - particularly people, who may have not the health stamina like I do. I could easily cope with some days of diarrhea.

You can see people touching fresh plates at the buffet and put them back where somebody else picks them up, people not washing their hands at the loo and then touching door handles - and even when someone at the buffet entrance offers them some sterile handcream, they refuse.

My personal favourites are people who are filling up water bottles where big signs tell them not to do it, because that's the best thing to contaminate the water dispenser and then everybody else's drinks and when you tell them they treat you like an alien.

I am sitting in on a cruise in the Port of Hamburg as we speak (just kicking off the pesky Germans ) and I have to say the amount of hand sanitizer is unbelievable. More than hospitals !!

We haven't been in the buffet as its a bit of a madhouse there.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Forgot to add that when I was sitting in the cocktail bar last night, a guy came in, sat behind me and said to his wife 'I'm going the full James Bond and going to try a Vodka Martini ' .... He then went on to order the martini and was specific it had to be like James Bond .... When it arrived the waiter said 'your Martini' to which a couple of us replied 'shaken not stirred' :))

I'm assuming the staff get asked a lot for those :))
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Last time I was on a cruise, apart from the zillion hand sanitizers everywhere they even had wipes next to the toilet door to use on the handle when exiting the room!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Perhaps, simply wearing a Bio hazard suit will become the fashion on cruise ships ? :D

on ordering famous drinks..... I always ask for mt tea to be Stirred anticlockwise, as that's how
    Steed took his. ;)
    Lady Rose wrote:

I am sitting in on a cruise in the Port of Hamburg as we speak (just kicking off the pesky Germans ) and I have to say the amount of hand sanitizer is unbelievable. More than hospitals !!

We haven't been in the buffet as its a bit of a madhouse there.

Hello Lady Rose,

you should have told me that earlier. Which ship are you onto and are you leaving tonight?
    Are you on Queen Elisabeth?
    I could drive down to the harbour and meet you for a coffee (I am located 20 kms from Hamburg).

Please reply quick.

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Perhaps, simply wearing a Bio hazard suit will become the fashion on cruise ships ? :D

on ordering famous drinks..... I always ask for mt tea to be Stirred anticlockwise, as that's how
    Steed took his. ;)

My brother in law said that when he went to use the toilet on his cruise last year etc the previous "user" of the cubicle had made a right mess and had left a $20 bill and a note to the cleaner saying "I'm very sorry" :D Upset stomach was an understatement
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    :)) :)) :))
    I have to admit I have never fancied going on a cruise - Mrs CHB wants to do one - can any ardent "cruisers" tell me why they enjoy them - I feel I would be bored and if I didn't like the food it would be hell :)) - I told Mrs CHB we would go on one when I was old and she replied that I was already old :))
    I think there's old and then there's Cruise Ship OLD ! :))
    :)) :)) :))
    Although to be fair I do think many more people are going on Cruises as the prices have dropped
    and the companies want to encourage younger families and tourists.
    I just have a nightmare of getting in to the company of some real boring couple and being
    stuck with them for a fortnight. :))
    edited May 2016
    I have to admit I have never fancied going on a cruise - Mrs CHB wants to do one - can any ardent "cruisers" tell me why they enjoy them - I feel I would be bored and if I didn't like the food it would be hell :)) - I told Mrs CHB we would go on one when I was old and she replied that I was already old :))

Well, I'll try to explain, but I have to point out, that we mostly do TA (Transatlantic Crossings - from New York to Hamburg) on Queen Mary 2.

First of all, we love food and there is plenty and good on her!
    Then leaving New York on a sunny afternoon, passing the Statue of Liberty and seeing all those ships, crossing under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge with a glass of Champagne in the hand with 7 days of only the mighty Atlanic ahead is just gorgeous.
    We love to dress up for the evening dinners in the phantastic restaurant with a good glass of wine with amazing Service and - of course the deserts!
    After that it's then around 22:00 we'll watch the show in the theater which is 45 minutes long - perfect duration and have a drink at the bar or two.

The daily programm on QM2 is 4 A4 pages long, we always find something interesting for us and must decide, which activity we skip. Their lectures are amazing and offer a huge variety.

I love to stand up very early and having the ship and the decks mostly for myself. Just sitting in the middle of the ocean with a cup of coffee in your hand can't be described.
    We usually start the day then later together with egg Benedict in the main restaurant - we don't usually have that at home!

We also love to interact with the passengers, who are mostly older than ourselfs but you always find very friendly and down to earth people. Yes, you also find snobs, but those in the minority and mostly stay in their suites.

I love the pub where they are serving Fish and Chips with some draught Guinness.

Last year, we have been very lucky having almost 3 sunny days where everybody could be around the pools - does not happen very often:

img1759ux3r6zgqtk.jpg

We also love the afternoon tea with scones and other delicious stuff.

After 7 days at sea, we arrive in Southampton, where I am usually meeting up with my mate Pete, who travels down to there and we always have too little time to chat.

One good thing for us is knowing that for most of our fellow passengers, the trip is over but we are blessed to have 2 more days until Hamburg.

Usually the last night before Southampton, it's Big Band Night. It's not really our kind of music, but a 32-head strong band on a ship is just amazing and we never miss that event! Even the rest of the ship is full of music - in the Disco - they have a live band, they have jazz Bands, classical string quartets, a harpplayer and so on - it's just amazing!

Now after another 2 nights we arrive in Hamburg and the biggest plus for us is, that we don't have to take a plane/train/car etc. to travel a long way back home.

We just take the subway and are at home 45 minutes later!

But the biggest plus for us is, that you are away from everything!
    You are on your own planet for 7 days. It does something with your mind - you instantly relax and calm down and listen to yourself.

I can only recommend to anyone trying it out, I regret not having done it earlier!

I think there's old and then there's Cruise Ship OLD ! :))

And Higgins old :D :D :D

Which means the same in Barbel's and AA's world :)) :)) :))

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff
    Oy!!!!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Hmmm cruises....purely for the newly wed, nearly dead or over fed! :D
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Higgins wrote:

Well, I'll try to explain, but I have to point out, that we mostly do TA (Transatlantic Crossings - from New York to Hamburg) on Queen Mary 2.

Then leaving New York on a sunny afternoon, passing the Statue of Liberty and seeing all those ships, crossing under the Verazzano Narrows Bridge with a glass of Champagne in the hand with 7 days of only the mighty Atlanic ahead is just gorgeous.
    We love to dress up for the evening dinners in the phantastic restaurant with a good glass of wine with amazing Service and - of course the deserts!
    After that it's then around 22:00 we'll watch the show in the theater which is 45 minutes long - perfect duration and have a drink at the bar or two.

The daily programm on QM2 is 4 A4 pages long, we always find something interesting for us and must decide, which activity we skip. Their lectures are amazing and offer a huge variety.

I love to stand up very early and having the ship and the decks mostly for myself. Just sitting in the middle of the ocean with a cup of coffee in your hand can't be described.
    We usually start the day then later together with egg Benedict in the main restaurant - we don't usually have that at home!

We also love to interact with the passengers, who are mostly older than ourselfs but you always find very friendly and down to earth people. Yes, you also find snobs, but those in the minority and mostly stay in their suites.

I love the pub where they are serving Fish and Chips with some draught Guinness.

Last year, we have been very lucky having almost 3 sunny days where everybody could be around the pools - does not happen very often:

img1759ux3r6zgqtk.jpg

After 7 days at sea, we arrive in Southampton, where I am usually meeting up with my mate Pete, who travels down to there and we always have too little time to chat.

One good thing for us is knowing that for most of our fellow passengers, the trip is over but we are blessed to have 2 more days until Hamburg.

Usually the last night before Southampton, it's Big Band Night. It's not really our kind of music, but a 32-head strong band on a ship is just amazing and we never miss that event! Even the rest of the ship is full of music - in the Disco - they have a live band, they have jazz Bands, classical string quartets, a harpplayer and so on - it's just amazing!

Now after another 2 nights we arrive in Hamburg and the biggest plus for us is, that we don't have to take a plane/train/car etc. to travel a long way back home.

You are on your own planet for 7 days. It does something with your mind - you instantly relax and calm down and listen to yourself.

I can only recommend to anyone trying it out, I regret not having done it earlier!

Well, thank you Higgins, that all sounds rather good actually and a week isn't too long - I presume QM2 is one of the best ships around? I don't want to mix with any riff-raff :))
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

img1759ux3r6zgqtk.jpg

Remember boats can be scary too , case in point :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SW3hgz_FE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do_5UsN-qho

:v