Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

More likely it was the great-grandad. I was trying to avoid the confounded interview but there part of it popped up on the BBC lunchtime news today. To be honest I think it's an exercise in both having your cake and eating it, on Meghan's part. By that I mean she cast aspersions about a member of the Royal Family saying something racist about her unborn child but then said it wouldn't be fair on them to say who it was.

Nevertheless, the general public will still come to their own conclusions as to who it is most likely to be so the cat has been let out of the bag already. Like most of these things once the Press has half of the story it won't be too long in speculating which member of the Royal Family it could be. So it's as good as naming who it was without actually having to do so. The Press and the public will fill in the blanks and do the rest of the work for her. That's of course not in any way to condone what was said. It was wrong but still to be expected in some quarters unfortunately.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

It's much more likely to be the great-grandad. Perhaps that's who you meant though? I was trying to avoid that confounded Oprah interview but I still managed to see a bit of it excerpted in the BBC lunchtime news today. What is one to do? It's ubiquitous at the minute.

The excerpt I saw on the News had Meghan basically casting aspersions about a member of the Royal Family saying something racist about her then unborn child, Archie. She then said it wouldn't be fair to that person to say who it was when she was pressed by Oprah. I'm not condoning at all what was alleged to have been said. It was obviously wrong and demeaning to Meghan and her unborn child. However, I see it as a case of having your cake and eating it too on the part of Meghan. By that I mean she's pretty much already let the cat out of the bag, spilled the beans etc. She didn't say in so many words who it was but she must've known that the general public at large and the press would fill in the blanks, however accurately or inaccurately. A vacuum in such a juicy story will inevitably be quickly filled with a mountain of speculation. Of course we could be wrong in our conclusions but I think most people who know anything at all about the British Royal Family will have a fair idea of who the chief suspect would be. Although it looks like she was going for discretion and damage limitation in that part of her interview, Meghan must've known that people and the press will speculate as to who it would be. As I say, having your cake and eating it. Seems a little bit disingenuous on her part to my mind but then I'm rather cynical by nature so who knows? In any event it shouldn't really shock anyone in the know that the Royal Family hold some shall we say antiquated views given the age of some of the members of that Family.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

It has been confirmed that the family member in question is NOT the Queen or Prince Philip.

edited March 2021

I see. So it's a process of elimination then. By hook or by crook the name will no doubt come out. The press and the public will want nothing less and are I'm sure baying for blood.

So it's a process of elimination then. I'm sure the press or the public won't be content until it's revealed who it was so Meghan's statement about it not being fair to identify the person will become a meaningless sentiment.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

Yes, I was thinking of Harry's grandfather. I wasn't very clear.

Not to worry, N24. I think that's the first person most people would think of when they heard what was alleged to have been said. Not least because Prince Philip has a long history of gaffes in public. He tends to very much speak his mind. However, it seems on this occasion we were wrong. Proof that assumptions generally turn out to be very wide of the mark!

Not to worry, N24. I think that's the first person most people would think of when they heard what was alleged to have been said. Not least because Prince Philip has a long history of gaffes in public. He tends to very much speak his mind. However, it seems on this occasion we were wrong. Proof that assumptions generally turn out to be very wide of the mark!

True. There is also his age. If I or my sisters had a child with someone not white while he was alive I'm sure my grandfather would have that sort of comments. Not that all old people think like that, but many grew up in a time when society was...... is "monoethnical" a word? Questionable opinions about other ethnic groups were also much more accepted.

But it wasn't Philip this time. Good for him.

I noticed Meghan's complaints of the royal family not publicly debunking false reports about Harry and Meghan in the press. I don't know how it's done in Britain, but in Norway the royal family hardly ever comments on stories in the press. If they did that would take up much of their time, they could easily get in conflict with the press and stories not commented upon would be seen as true by many.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

Here I go, working much overtime and I come back to all this change! I thought I had come to the wrong place!

Still, some things have not changed. Opportunists taking what ever chance they can to attack the UK. How very sad (they are).

Me? I'm proud to be a British citizen. Why? The UK saved not only my life but my families also. That fact doesn't mean much to anyone but me. However I suppose I am a racist for saying I love the UK and its people?

Any way. Rant over. I shall leave the poor souls who wish to to continue to dribble in peace.

The new look for AJB is interesting. I hope to be a more regular visitor again (I can hear the groans!) but as always my work must come first, as many will understand.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

Do I have to reload my forum picture? I notice it is not there any more?

The UK Royal Family have the motto, 'Never complain, never explain'. They very rarely make comment about such things.

I doubt very much they will comment on this interview. Harry is probably counting on it.

There are so many inaccuracies in the interview though and some things that really should be explained. Archie was not given a title because NON of The Queens great grandchildren get a title. The exception to that is William's and that is because he is an heir to the throne. I believe Archie may be entitled to one when Charles becomes King.

The other thing that is easily explained is Harry not having security. As a non working member of the Royal family he is not entitled to tax payer funded security. The RF are constantly scrutinised over expenditure. Paying for Harry's security was not going to happen, especially when he is living abroad.

Harry has always been given more privileges than he was entitled to IMO. If you look at the the Queens other grandchildren, most of them don't have titles and earn their own keep. Harry was always seen on a par with William even if in real terms he isn't. The idea was that the RF would be pared back with Charles, The Cambridges and The Sussexs doing the work. William and Harry where always seen as 'the Boys'.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

I find this Security Discussion one about nothing to be honest.

If Harry and Meghan would have stayed in the UK, wouldn't that have been granted them protection for both of them - and that would include their children?

I also understand, that if the Queen one day passes, the protection would also explicitely go to their kids and they'd receive a title as well?

So what they are moaning about is just, that the security protocol does not include the grand-grandchildren of the living Queen and that is basically a fortunate constellation because the Queen has such a long and healthy life?

It must have been clear to them that parting with the family will revoke that kind of protection, no?

So what is this all about?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited March 2021

As many well know, I have revised my opinion about Monica Lewinsky over the years and I may change it over Meghan Markle.

I also don't live in the UK and am not regularly following all the crap that is reported in the Yellowpress.

Having said this, I have problems feeling sorry for her.

She was 34 when she married the Prince - she had a carreer - she was a public figure- that would include many unfair press reports about her and some of them may have included racial comments. She was active on Social Media and certainly was remotely knowing what she was going into when she married him.

When in doubt, she could have asked Kate.

Now she's crying crocodile tears about all is unfair and meh and weep - well honey you could have known before.

That after 2 years she's so desperate and lonely that she wants to kill herself - well sorry - I don't buy it!

Now she's pulling the Race card but we don't all know the context in which Archie's skin was discussed.

Pretty sure my parents and grandparents have made similar comments about the size of my winkie 😂and I have survived.

I don't want to play down racism and the effects that it has to many - but I doubt that the poor spoiled girl really was suffering true racism from the Royal Family.

What I want to say is: Family Members make embarrassing comments about each other, their kids and grandkids all the time - not everything is meant in an insulting or racist context.

The color of her skin was never a public issue with the exception of the majority of the press praising her to be "the first woman of color in the RF".

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

Well said @Lady Rose

I didn't watch it, as I have no interest in Harry and Megan's self promotion and to be quite frank either of them since they "stepped back" from public duty. But Mrs Coop watched it and I zoned in and out. To me Harry looked very ill at ease, nervous and his body language married up to that, he came across like a spoilt child. Megan nailed it in the begining with her "I was naive" so she had to Google the national anthem, and didn't know anything about the British Royal family? And thought meeting the Queen in private would be just meeting Harry's gran !! I don't believe that, by the time it came to mentioning the Patronages she was very clued up! As for Harry feeling shocked by being financially cut off is a joke, did he honestly believe he would be able to dip into the privvy purse to fund his new private life in the US ?

As it's the hot topic of the interview I'll say that none of Harry or Megan's gripes are race related! Why must it always end up a race related🙄 a very good friend of mine married a white woman, and his black parents discussed what colour their potential grand kids would be! In much the same way you might discuss the hair or eye colour of a potential baby! Now I'm not saying this is the case here, but without the context of the entire conversation the media should hold back from making this another black lives matter campaign.

Also let's not forget the gutter press also hounded Kate, commoner, grandfather was a coal miner, made fortune from planning hen parties etc etc and the same press also hounded Diana,eventually to death! And they were both white!

William managed quite well to protect his family when his wife was photographed topless, and since then, Harry could have done the same I'm sure. All in all 2 hours of bottom lip out drivel by a sulking spoilt and priveliged Prince and an actress who didn't get the fantasy life she thought she would, which is a shame as I liked Harry and he did a lot of good , and at first I thought Megan was a breath of fresh air! Now I just think that interview was Megan's finest acting performance!

It was either that.....or the priesthood

I agree with you @Higgins about the discussion about the skin colour of the baby. Context is absolutely everything in this case.

I know it's not quite the same but when I was having a baby it was a topic of discussion what the baby would look like, mainly because I am very fair and pale and my husband is very dark, Mediterranean looking. It was a sort of 'who will having the winning genes' kind of thing. For anyone interested, he did. 😁

What Meghan did was manage to make it sound like they discussed Archies skin colour and then claimed they changed the rules re his entitlement to titles, which is very wrong. The Queens grandchildren can have a title but not the great grand children.

As explained, Archie was never entitled to a title and won't be until Charles is King. This has been the case since King George V.

Out of the Queens children the only one who wanted their children to have titles was Andrew, that is why we have Princess' Eugenie and Beatrice. Anne and Edward chose for their children not to have titles nor do they have security. Prince Andrew (again) threw a tantrum about his daughters not having security a few years ago. Prince Harry seems to forget in the pecking order he is really on a par with them, not William. He wants the freedom to earn money and not do royal duties like Zara Tindall but he wants all the perks like William. Not happening Harry.

Some of you may know that my wife is from Asia and I have lost count how often people have told us „you should have children - they‘d look gorgeous“ .

I should sue those commenters from now on

It's also worth nothing that the couple was paid a fortune to be interviewed by their new neighbour and friend. I haven't seen the entire interview, but reports say there were few follow-up questions and even fewer critical questions.

edited March 2021

I actually did end up watching the interview (against my better judgement I might add) as it came on the TV just as I sat down for the night. One interesting thing Meghan said was that they'd actually secretly gotten married a few days before the public ceremony in a civil service to make it more intimate. The thing that amused me about it was she then revealed that the private service of marriage had been conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury. I just found it amusing how she added that almost as an aside as if having the leader of the Church of England performing a private marriage ceremony for you was the most normal thing in the world that everybody gets the chance to do. I know that she's a Royal and all but talk about first world problems to have!

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

One of the first things Oprah said was that they were not being paid for the interview! Which begs the question, why did TV companies have to tender for the viewing rights ? As an aside the BBC didn't bother to tender for it.

It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited March 2021

The marriage statement is also incorrect. They signed the legal documents on their televised wedding day. They may have had a private exchange of vows but it wasn't a 'wedding' . To make it sound otherwise is just wrong. If they wanted a truly private affair, they should have had it and not cost the British tax payer £32 million.

Whilst Harry was a working Royal, Charles was funding Harry by about 95% out of the Duchy of Cornwall. Harry obviously expected that to continue whilst they were living in North America faffing about with organic coffee 😡

The Queen has issued a statement. It's very Queen like in that it says very little.

The Queens statement says one thing of note ... 'While some recollections may vary' is very loaded. It's a very polite British way of calling them liars.

On a side note, Piers Morgan has left GMB following him walking of air this morning when a colleague called him diabolical during a heated discussion about Harry and Meghan. The Fallout is reaching far and wide ....

edited March 2021

The phrase "and heads will roll" comes to mind. Quite appropriate really as it concerns the Royal Family...

I have problems with some of what Harry and Meghan have said and done. Still, it's clear the couple, and especially Meghan, has had a difficult time.

Granted, and something that has already been confirmed in the 61 word statement issued this evening by HM The Queen.

Something has gone terribly wrong and to be honest, I've always blamed Harry. He obviously didn't help prepare her and he more than anyone knew what he was bringing her into.

edited March 2021

It all went wrong for Prince Harry when he wore that Nazi armband at that friend's fancy dress party back in 2005. Of course he apologised for that after it was splashed all over the UK press. He's always had a habit of bringing bad press upon himself and by extension the monarchy as an institution. I've never been keen on him since that time (no harm meant to him) and I feel that Prince William is a much safer pair of hands. As a monarchist I'm relieved that William is now much further up the line of succession than Harry, thanks to having had three children with Kate.

I‘ve not watched the interview in full but to me, it looks that Meghan for long time ago totally took over control in that relationship and that he basically does what she wants and tht‘s it.

I see another divorce upcoming in the Royal Family in some years when he comes to his senses.

That aside Piers Morgan ( who is imo a pathetic prick) resigned after having constantly slammed Meghan for years now after his recent fallout with his colleagues over Meghan.

Don't worry about Piers. There's a new news channel starting here called GB News owned by one Rupert Murdoch. A Fox News lite. Andrew Neil is running the show.

The smart money is that they have been chasing Piers and he's decided to go for it.