The Closet Spy...

Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
A post for any comments relating to the feature article series "The Spy who came out of the closet".

Comments

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited November 2003
    Thanks "Bill," I really enjoyed your first installment. Very intriguing title; at first I thought it was either an excerpt from Kingsley Amis' Bond reviews, or some recently unearthed accounts about Fleming's more racy and secret lifestyle!

You did a great job in encapsulating your research into a brief and rich treatment; it is chockfull of details yet it avoids the feeling of a synopsis, a fitting web article.

I really hope that you get around to the chapters on "shirts and ties, shoes, hats, leathergoods, toiletries and accessories such as watches and lighters." Thanks again!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited November 2003
    Glad you enjoyed it, hope you found some of the information useful.

I'm just finishing the second part of the suits article detailing the films. As soon as I can find the time I'll try to do some of the other bits and pieces of clothing before moving on to the watches and accessories.
  • Sheriff_JW_PepperSheriff_JW_Pepper Posts: 149MI6 Agent
    I thought the artice was great, can't wait for the next part!
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    edited November 2003
    A great article. I too am looking forward to the next installment. :)I have always been interested in the style of 007, and what you say about Fleming is very true. Plus I couldn't agree more as to where on Saville Row Bond may have dressed -it definitely wouldn't have been at the same tailor as Count Lippe! ;)

It is really great to see the variety of articles available here at ajb. I just wish there were more people who were likeminded and are willing to pass their knowledge and research onto other members by writing feature articles.
    For anyone who hasn't already noticed, the second part of the 'Suits' article is now on-line.

So there are now no excuses for all those slovenly tailored would-be Spies.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    What a marvellous piece!! So many points there that I absolutely agree with you on - the sudden appearance of Brioni suits from the HK tailor in DAD (knock off!! :)) ) and particularly the look of the modern Bond. As you said, he looks positively expensively dressed and will always stand out as the best dressed and most stylish, compared to the early Bond look. And toward the end of the Brosnan piece I was thinking "But what about the suit and knitted tie in TWINE?" but you've not missed a single trick. Excellent detail and well written!
    unitedkingdom.png
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The first one on Fleming's preferences I found invaluable and highly enjoyable, have just skimmed the second one, and going back for more.

Much appreciated, keep up the hard work.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    A great second article. Can't fault it! :D
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Fantastic articles Bill, complete with pictures. That's the sort of background stuff and insight about Bond I like reading about; it's all about style be it clothes, watches, cars , drinks.

Shows how much effort went into the whole thing from day 1, the series and your articles, that is .
  • daveydavey Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    What an amazing article. We couldn't agree more on the expensive dress sense comments. Congratulations on a well writen, informative article.
    Here's a test for anyone who might want to answer, where do Pierce Brosnans cufflinks come from?
    Brosnan's all seem to come from Dunhill (at around £200 a time).

I'll be covering this in the next exciting instalment - though I don't know how soon that will be. If you need any more specific advice you can PM me.
  • JohanJohan Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Mr. Tanner,

Please allow me to congratulate you on a beautiful beginning of this article series. As my fascination with Bond, James Bond is on a constant incline, I am trying to absorb every piece of information available – especially with regards to his attire. Once you have covered the areas of shirts, ties, and accessories, I propose that you give some concrete suggestions to the contemporary Bond-wannabe on how to stock a wardrobe of flair and elegance without spending the GNP of Sweden. Since I am about to graduate, it would be great to be able to dress to impress come job interviews…

Thanks compadre!
  • JohanJohan Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    From Dunhill
    edited December 2003
    Welcome to the forums Johan.

I'm a little mystified by the encoded parts of your first message and the obscure reference to Dunhill in your second - perhaps you'd like to expand?

I could certainly add an installment to the feature articles along the 'Bond on a budget' lines you've suggested if there's interest from other members.
  • willhardcorewillhardcore Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Where is this website? I would like to see this article!
    Just look at the 'Feature Articles' section of this site and you'll find the clothing articles along with many more you might be interested in.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Links to the two "Closet" articles are also at the top of the Memorobilia/Collecting Forum (next to the images of Brosnan and Fleming).
    unitedkingdom.png
  • KMHPaladinKMHPaladin Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    Very interesting article. I thought the last paragraph, rejecting Anderson and Sheppard, was nicely done. :)
    Many thanks for the interest reidmarks. I thought I'd better reply just to reassure people that (to quote Mark Twain) reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment that Brosnan's wardrobe is unrealistic and unprofessional; I take the view that his undercover identity is that of a rich and successful international playboy (if such a thing still exists) and his clothes are suitably expensive and fitting to his role. My point was that Connery was expensively but tastefully dressed, while Brosnan's clothes are equally expensive but a little too self conscious and conspicuous - something of which Fleming, and his interpretation of Bond, would not have approved.
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    Great article, very informative!

Since you really seem to know your stuff, let me ask: what color suit does Bond wear in the opening sequence of TWINE in Bilbao?
    edited February 2005
    It's a dark grey, lightweight wool Brioni three button worn with a blue shirt... but why don't you just look at the film? You can learn a lot by studying the still frames, especially with the clarity of DVD stills.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Well done Bill! Once again you've addressed an important issue in the Bond universe, this time approaching the topic from a unique angle that clearly illustrates how the clothes are an extension of the man and his values. Waiting (impatiently) for part four at the end of the week.
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    Best Bond related article I've read for a long time.
    'Yes, dammit, I said "was". The bitch is dead now.'
    The James Bond Dossier | SPECTRE | Q-Branch James Bond Podcast
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    Mr Tanner,

You sir, are a hopelessly loquacious peacock.

Your friend,
    MrsD

P.S. Keep up the good work (and about time too).
    And you madam, are nothing more than a fictional character.
    ...said Mr Pot to Mrs Kettle.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    These articles never lose their luster, Mr. Tanner. Superb commentary, quite agreeable, and extremely well written.

Too many want names and personal information about Bond, you've hit the nail on the head to focus on the entire picture.

Perhaps a joint collaboration with our elaborate party dreamer, Mrs. D, might be in the cards?
    Quoting Alex:
    Perhaps a joint collaboration with our elaborate party dreamer, Mrs. D, might be in the cards?

Is that a euphemism?
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Another excellent article, Tanner; your knowledge of Bond is equalled by your knowledge of fashion!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    It's very flattering to receive such kind words from members whose opinions I respect (yes, even MrsD). Many thanks to you all.

It's a fine line between informing and entertaining; I always try to fit a little too much information into the articles, but Sico is an excellent editor and always advises a split - which is why article 4 will be coming out in a day or two.