The Closet Spy...

Comments

• IanAndOutIanAndOut RoselandPosts: 33MI6 Agent
    edited May 2005
    I have read artical four with great interest, once again Mr. Tanner you have shown insight, articulation, and depth of resourses in outlining the items of Bond. However in underwear I feel like I must point out that Fleming does mention Bond's underwear. In DAF as Bond packs his bags it points out nylon underwear, this sounds rather hot and uncomfotable yet he does seem to sweat often, perhaps this is a cause.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited May 2005
    You know, you're absolutely right!

I had another look at the text and it's right there. There's a description in LALD of the clothes the CIA had provided him with, to give 'a certain degree of Americanization'. This included nylon shirts and underwear. I'd always remembered this as an isolated case, but when I checked my notes I found you were right and it's also mentioned in DAF - but not as part of a disguise.

Oh dear, 007's standards really were slipping. I'll alter the article accordingly, but to save face (mine & Bond's) I'll put this down to Bond and Fleming experimenting with some of the new-fangled man made materials of the day.

Many thanks Ian.
  • IanAndOutIanAndOut RoselandPosts: 33MI6 Agent
    edited May 2005
    You are quite welcome, yet on retrospect Bond was heading back to America. Perhaps he had saved his American gear from LALD and had packed it to blend in more. But why the underwear? I still can't figure it out, maybe since Ms. Case was American and Americans liked nylon at that time he decided to pack it (perhapes subconsciously) with anticipation of a night with her. Or maybe he just liked chaffing. Its best not to talk of it. In any case I agree with the idea of cotton boxers.
    edited May 2005
    Yes, on re-reading the text I noticed that the items were described as being "appropriate to his cover" - so there's a degree of doubt here.

I've edited the article accordingly.

A debate over Bond's pants - how refreshing!
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Part four is now online:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/articles/007/jamesbondclothing4/

I hope you enjoy this as much as the last installments.
    Simon
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Once again, excellent work Mr. Tanner!

I really like the way you've approached this topic: by first writing about the rationale for Fleming's choices, you have made what could have been a simple "inventory" of Bond items into an interesting psychological study of the character.

BTW, I received my copy of "Dressing the Man", and I think you would find it very interesting.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    very good articles and i enjoyed reading them a lot...good to see the mention of the fred perry too which was one of my trivia questions a while back and was even marketed in the early nineties as the bond polo...only slight gripe is bond never wore chelsea boots as in the photo though john steed often did along with dealer boots...he did wear chukkas in gf though...the fleming brand names make interesting reading when listed and just seem so right this is one of the things gardner could never master ie dunhill cologne and oscar jacobson ties plus far too many blousons for my liking...once again congratulations on the articles
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    As always, this series is nothing less than superb,Bill.Your insight into 007's wardrobe makes his choice of clothing every bit as fascinating as his automobiles.Great work.:)
    delon64 wrote:
    ...only slight gripe is bond never wore chelsea boots as in the photo though john steed often did along with dealer boots...he did wear chukkas in gf though...

That's right delon - but that's also what I say in the accompanying text. I was attempting to offer a few modern-day and cheaper alternatives to some of the 50s & 60s items, and Chelsea Boots seemed to fit the bill. Perhaps the photo is a little too prominent. I didn't mention the suede chukka boots because they were an isolated incident and I was looking for something to wear with a suit that didn't have laces.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Bill Tanner,

A very good series of articles indeed. I like the last two a great deal. Trying to live the Bond lifestyle can be expensive, but as you pointed out, it is the thought behind the selection of clothing and accoutrements rather than slavish devotion to brands or fashion that count.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Fabulous articles. But are you absoultely sure that Connery never wore french cuffs? Sometimes, in pictures, it seems like he is.

Again, wonderful. Great work.
    edited June 2005
    Quoting Nightshooter
    Fabulous articles. But are you absoultely sure that Connery never wore french cuffs? Sometimes, in pictures, it seems like he is.
    On his dinner suits Connery would wear French Cuffs and links with a dress shirt - possibly silk. His 'ordinary' shirts, the day-to-day variety he wore with the suits, always featured a turned-back cuff.

I'm not allowed to post an MGM image but for a good view of these you could look at the DVD of Dr No. Go to the scene where he's waiting at Miss Taro's place for Professor Dent to arrive - he's without a jacket and you'll get a good look. There's also the very last scene in FRWL, where he waves goodbye to the cine-film after throwing it into the canal. These shirts became a 007 trademark and Moore also wore them in his first two films.
  • Conduit cutConduit cut CaliforniaPosts: 3MI6 Agent
    I wouldn't bet the farm on it but I seem to remember Connery wearing links while Q gave him the rundown on the DB5 in GF. It stuck me as odd because he usually wears the T&A (unfortunate image there) button cuffs.

I'll watch GF tonight and see if there's crow for me to eat.

Cheers!
    Seems it's me who'll be ordering the humble pie with a side-order of crow tonight...

One of the most famous scenes in the entire series and I've never noticed he's wearing links and french cuffs before. Just goes to show, one can't know everything and nothing is set in stone with so many people involved in dressing our hero. This would never have happened on Young's shift.

I'll alter the article accordingly and I shall be falling on my sword straight after the pie.
    edited June 2005
    one item that needs some looking at is the polo neck sweater...an inexpensive item that can give any man a touch of the david nivens...connery looked ghastly in his brown daf number but roger pulled off his black lald one with great panache and looked at his most bondian...sadly pierce went for the slightlt fluffy style pringle in dad which made him looked paunchy and he also made the cardinal sin of rolling up the sleeves...a big no no...at least roger had an excuse as his were rolled up by mr big
    I didn't think Pierce looked all that bad in his sweater.
  • barracudabarracuda CataloniaPosts: 97MI6 Agent
    edited June 2005
    Excellent article again, although I'd like to pull you up on one point.

You say Bond would never wear jeans. In fact Bond wears jeans in Dr No, although we're naturally not talking Levis here: "Bond fitted himself out with cheap black canvas jeans and a dark blue shirt and rope-soled shoes."

I agree with you about linen rather than sea island cotton, although I have found a made to measure(ish) tailor online who will knock up sea island cotton shirts - based in Hong Kong, naturally.

Regarding ties - I've never been able to find a black knitted silk tie, although I've tried for years. I have a black knitted cotton tie and a blue and gold knitted silk tie, but not the authentic Bond tie. Any suggestions?

Once again, great article.
    'Yes, dammit, I said "was". The bitch is dead now.'
    The James Bond Dossier | SPECTRE | Q-Branch James Bond Podcast
    edited June 2005
    In response to a recent query I've revised the evening wear section of article 4, which was a little skimpy on detail.

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/articles/007/jamesbondclothing4/
    edited June 2005
    barracuda wrote:
    You say Bond would never wear jeans. In fact Bond wears jeans in Dr No, although we're naturally not talking Levis here: "Bond fitted himself out with cheap black canvas jeans and a dark blue shirt and rope-soled shoes."

I agree with you about linen rather than sea island cotton, although I have found a made to measure(ish) tailor online who will knock up sea island cotton shirts - based in Hong Kong, naturally.

Regarding ties - I've never been able to find a black knitted silk tie, although I've tried for years. I have a black knitted cotton tie and a blue and gold knitted silk tie, but not the authentic Bond tie. Any suggestions?

I thought people would start to pull me up on this one; I'm aware of the jeans in Dr No, and there are similar examples of unusual clothing Bond wears throughout the books. I tried to focus on the items Bond would select for his daily wardrobe rather than those he chooses for special circumstances or to blend in with local fishermen etc - and I just can't see Fleming or Bond strolling down Regent Street in a pair of Levis (or similar).

Linen or Sea Island? That's a personal choice; I have both for summer shirts and prefer linen for the short sleeved. You could make a valid argument that the Sea Island is more exclusive.

Knitted silk ties aren't too difficult to find and you can still buy them in a variety of colours from the original source, Turnbull & Asser. I think they were around £60 when I last bought one three or so years ago. If you search the internet you should turn up a few more - I found several suppliers when I was searching for a photo. Those currently available from T&A reflect the currently fashionable width - if you want something narrower and sixties looking you'll have to search a bit. I found a couple from Aquascutum a few years back but don't know if they're still available.

Hope this helps.
    roger moore did wear a pale blue levi denim outfit in the san monique scenes in lald...he goes into detail of how it is shrunk to fit in his diary on the making of the film and he names the brand as he talks of the costume people buying it
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    What the various actors have worn in their portrayals surely counts for little - I believe Mr Tanner has been trying to identify the essence of what is right and what is wrong for the character. I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but I think Mr Moore's 'shrink-to-fit' denim ensemble would struggle to qualify.
    I thought people would start to pull me up on this one; I'm aware of the jeans in Dr No, and there are similar examples of unusual clothing Bond wears throughout the books. I tried to focus on the items Bond would select for his daily wardrobe rather than those he chooses for special circumstances or to blend in with local fishermen etc - and I just can't see Fleming or Bond strolling down Regent Street in a pair of Levis (or similar).

Absolutely, Bond would never wear jeans unless dictated by his assignment! As I'm permanently on assignment overseas I find the black jeans and rope soled shoes works a treat for me :-)
    Knitted silk ties aren't too difficult to find and you can still buy them in a variety of colours from the original source, Turnbull & Asser. I think they were around £60 when I last bought one three or so years ago. If you search the internet you should turn up a few more - I found several suppliers when I was searching for a photo. Those currently available from T&A reflect the currently fashionable width - if you want something narrower and sixties looking you'll have to search a bit. I found a couple from Aquascutum a few years back but don't know if they're still available.

Hope this helps.

A great help. Although I can't just pop into T&A I've spent many hours looking for a black knitted silk tie on the web before to no avail. Spured by your assertion that they are available I just found one here.

It's ordered and on it's way :)
    barracuda wrote:
    A great help. Although I can't just pop into T&A...

If the ties you've found don't work out for you, you could always give T&A a call. The website addresses are www.turnbullandasser.com and www.turnbullandasser.co.uk

They don't show the knitted varieties on the website but I've always found them very accomodating on the telephone and they'd probably post one to you.
    I'll see what these ties turn out like, but thanks for the T&A advise.
    I can't remember on which topic the question was originally posted, but I have found out what kind of underwear Bond wears in the books. In TMWTGG, he puts on (you should've guessed this) Sea Island Cotton underpants. And this isn't as cover, he is wearing what he wants to.
    Good work, Nightshooter!

You don't have a chapter ref do you?
    Well spotted. Chapter 7, Un-Real Estate, 4th page in of my Pan paperback edition.
    Thanks for looking it up for me, saves me work. :)
    One thing that's intrigued me for years is how Bond wears black saddle-stiched sandals(!) with a suit in at least Thunderball.

Any ideas on 007's sandals?