Last film seen...

Comments

• TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    I was extremely dismayed to discover that my dad erased the copy I had just made of this movie in order to record...

Animal House.

That's right. Needless to say I'm somewhat annoyed at him at the moment :)).

When I first saw this movie I was rather offended by the supposed Chinese sayings; believe me, I think I've heard nearly every "Confucius says" joke alive. But then I remembered that this is a total parody after all, and I must admit his accent is rather convincing after awhile. I actually don't notice the missing pronouns/verbs/other parts of speech until Capote corrects them because I'm used to hearing phrases like "Is stupid!" all the time from my relatives. There's only one subject (i.e. no "he," "she," "they," etc.) in modern Chinese, and there's only one tense.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Murder By Death gave me a few nightmares, the tongue and eyes in the paintings for example, I remembered that part well. And the Guiness' blind butler kept me up a night or two.

Sorry to hear what happened Tracy, guess now you can watch Bluto in action. ;)
    Quoting Alex:
    Murder By Death gave me a few nightmares, the tongue and eyes in the paintings for example, I remembered that part well. And the Guiness' blind butler kept me up a night or two.

Sorry to hear what happened Tracy, guess now you can watch Bluto in action. ;)

Don't tell me that you were scared of the moose (or is it a cow :))), Alex :P

Was the butler really that creepy? The deaf maid struck me as scarier, actually.
    Quoting Tracy:
    Was the butler really that creepy? The deaf maid struck me as scarier, actually.
    Yeah, her too, along with Truman, actually everything about this one gave me the shivers. Vanishing rooms and the like. I think it was the butler's countenance when they found him deceased that did it. I know it was a comedy but c'mon. ;)
  • Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    Unfortunately the last film I saw was Harold and Kumar. It was annoying. Fortunately though, the film before it was The Shawshank Redemption, a great movie.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Capote in drag... THAT'S SCARY! Hahahahaha!!! Hahahahaaaaaa!!

I still have the movie on VHS, which was recorded with extreme circumstences. I had as I had to cut out all the commercials during the show and there were three sleeping relatives in the room! I suffered for my copy and I stick to it. :D
  • little nellie1little nellie1 Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Pearl Harbor a great movie. No matter how you look at it.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    just saw 21 grams...had great expectations as i loved the directors first effort amores perros but found this one difficult to like...with a clever structure but one that serves no purpose to the story and just seems there to confuse...benedicio del toros fervent born again christian was a fascinating character however with his torment beautifully played
    Quoting The Cat:
    Capote in drag... THAT'S SCARY! Hahahahaha!!! Hahahahaaaaaa!!

I still have the movie on VHS, which was recorded with extreme circumstences. I had as I had to cut out all the commercials during the show and there were three sleeping relatives in the room! I suffered for my copy and I stick to it. :D

Now that you mention it, I mentally block out the Capote in drag bit since that really is the scariest part in the entire film :o.

I ended up watching one of my all-time favorite films instead of getting some work done, Charade. I'm a complete sucker for Stanley Donen romantic comedies, but I think that this one is the best. There are a lot of visual Hitchcockian influences, and I suppose you could say the plot is somewhat similar to a Hitchcock thriller. The Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn pairing is fantastic; I absolutely love the dialogue they've got. Charade also features one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, Mancini scores in existence. Rewatching the film I was extremely dismayed to discover how much is missing from the soundtrack; it's a pity that Mancini didn't record his action/suspense cues because he didn't think that anyone would want to listen to them. Thankfully I now have this recorded on DVD.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Omigod, how have I missed all this Murder By Death banter?? When subscription cable TV first started in the mid-70's, it left me with two films that I watched endlessly: The Spy Who Loved Me and Murder By Death. There was a time (sadly, now gone) when I could recite MBD to the same extent that I can Bond. I still chuckle at the thought of "Say your go**amn pronouns!" and a butler named Bensonmum. :))

Anyway, I watched Gosford Park recently. Tough to keep track of who was who, especially "above the stairs." However, Helen Mirren, Emily Watson and Dame Maggie continue their record of stealing any film they're in. Clive Owen is also very good.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    It's nice to see we have so many MBD fans here. I think the cook (I think I accidentally called her the maid, sorry!) is probably the most underrated character in the film, but that's probably just me.
    edited January 2005
    "Westworld" with Yul Brynner.

If you thought the Terminator was cool, forget about it. Brynner's gunslinger in black is a sight to behold. With the help of two silver contact lenses and some great head eye movement, my boy Yul shows 'em how it's done.

My only complaint, there weren't enough scenes with him. (but the last half hour still blows you away)
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Ah Alex, the whole of Westworld should blow you away! Terrific movie ... great vision.

Anyway, last film I saw would have been Garden State. Fantastic low budget piece. Zach Braff (from Scrubs) was stellar as the leading man, while his direction and script were really tight. Natalie Portman did a nice turn as the love interest ... well recommended.
  • BondovBondov Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Not really movie-related, but either way...

I've been working my way through the season three Alias DVDs as well as Dead Like Me's first season. Both are great shows -- I'd highly recommend Dead Like Me as its wit and humor fit so well with the content involved.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Well today "Some Kind Of Monster" was released on DVD. So I watched it again. This is Metallica's documentry on the making of their album St. Anger. This is a great movie.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Finally managed to watch Carry On Spying - the Carry On teams take on Bond movies. Excellent. Barbara Windsor's debut was great.
    I went with some friends (music geeks) to Phantom of the Opera last night. VERY well done -- I loved it.

I also watched, like, four more episodes of Alias season three, and I'm one episode away from finishing the first (and only?) season of Dead Like Me.
  • royale53royale53 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Last film i saw was Supper Troppers.
    Quoting Bondov:
    I went with some friends (music geeks) to Phantom of the Opera last night. VERY well done -- I loved it.

I also watched, like, four more episodes of Alias season three, and I'm one episode away from finishing the first (and only?) season of Dead Like Me.

Nice to see another Phantom fan here :)

Just curious, but how many more episodes of season 3 do you have to watch? Season 4 has only just started, so you might want to start watching that soon, too. The third season 4 episode was just broadcasted yesterday.
    edited January 2005
    I think Phantom is the type that gets better the more it soaks in. At the time of watching it, I knew it was a good movie, but after I left the theatre and got back to my room, I realized that it was a great movie. And by the end of the next time, I'm wondering why it wasn't nominated for an Oscar for picture of the year. I've been listening to the OST all night -- I just wish my roommate hadn't gone to bed so early.

I'm near the end of disc three I believe -- I think I just finished the episode "Remnants" or "Full Disclosure". I think it's the latter. I'm really anxious to watch the next one because something, er, big was just revealed.

I've been watching pieces of the fourth season. I caught last week's episode (one of my favorites), but I completely missed the episode that aired last night. I got too busy and just spaced it out...
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Quentin tarantino Presents My Name is Modesty.

A film based on Peter O'Donnell's newspaper cartoon strip heroine Modesty Blaise.

An intersting film showing the growing up of this character who eventually developed into a female answer to James Bond. This film is low budget and was made so miramax could retain the rights to the name Modesty Blaise. - Hopefully Tarantino -who is a huge fan of Modesty Blaise will do a big budget film in the future.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Million Dollar Baby.

Good but didn't much see the point of it in the end. It has the obligatory silly, unrealistic scenes that every film has to have these days (not as bad as The Aviator though), in this case a daft, amateurish young boxer who is going nowhere but is allowed to prance around Clint Eastwood's gym while Hilary Swank is the real deal.

It's nice to see a film that doesn't resort to gimmicks or tricks but I couldn't quite see why this was a story that had to be told.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I thought the Incredibles was awesome! What a fun movie to bring your kid to see.

Watched "Scaramouche" last night. Amazing. Absolutely incredible. Metro Goldwyn Mayer in it's prime, the Technicolor is a visual feast! Stewart Granger was never so debonair, Eleanor Parker so temptous and smoldering. Janet Leigh is an image from heaven, and Mel Ferrer so dashing and menacing.

Why don't they make adventure movies like this anymore?
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Dawn of the Dead, George A. Romero, 1979

Still an absolute classic after over twenty-five years. The gore still matches any modern day CGI rubbish, and there are some great performances from the cast.

What I really like is the way Romero chooses to mock the zombie film by making them seem so incredibly feeble and easy to defeat.

"28 Days Later" reminds me a lot of this film.
  • james bond007james bond007 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    last film i saw in movies was prisoner of azkaban
    i would HIGHLY recomend it if you havent seen it and youre a harry potter fan......................
    it was ONE OF THE BEST OVIES IVE SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
    edited January 2005
    PRISONER OF AZKABAN SPOILERS.

I have serious issues with Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It suffers from all of the expected flaws of a movie adapted from a book: major plotholes, bad character adaptations, and some of the acting.

It's obvious that after the first two movies, the kids are FINALLY slipping into their roles more comfortably, but there are certain happenings that rub me the wrong way. Take, for instance, Harry's whimpering or crying or whatever it was. It shouldn't even have been in there in the first place (the ONLY time that I remember Harry shedding a tear was at the end of Goblet of Fire; even then, it wasn't directly mentioned -- it said something about the corners of his eyes burning, so he looked up at the ceiling), but it was. And it was done terribly. I understand it's an emotional time for Harry, but he just doesn't cry here. Not that it's wrong, but they should try to uphold Harry's hiding his sadness until absolutely necessary.

The story wasn't a redeeming factor, either. It seemed like a lot of the story was sacrificed to add in pointless eye candy (i.e. the Whomping Willow swinging Hermione and Harry around). They threw that in and neglected to inform the viewer of, say, the origin of the Marauder's Map. Whatever.

Lastly, I thought the casting was god-awful. Professor Lupin is one of my favorite characters in the book. It was painful to sit there for two-and-some-odd hours watching this guy on screen who was obviously NOT the character I had in my head. He was just... off. A lot.

Also, before casting was announced for this movie, I totally called Timothy Spall playing Peter Pettigrew. I was elated to hear that he was, indeed, given the part. I was more than disappointed with the execution of the character, though. I realize that he was supposed to have the look of a rat, but they went way overboard. There were also inconsistencies with his turning from a rat to a man and vice versa (for example, his clothes were left behind when he changed back into a rat).

The movie is great on its own. The movie is very sub-par when compared to the book. Most movies are like that, and I accept it, but it's a difficult pill to swallow. Alfonso Cuaron did a great job with the cinematography and the transition were almost incomparable -- they were really the hidden force behind the movie's flow.

I'd also recommend reading the books before watching the movies since people tend to prefer whatever they see/read first.
    Danny Kaye in The Court Jester.

Accuse me of living in old hollywood if you have to, this is a wonderful family experience that just flies by. The very talented and gentle soul that Kaye was is lovable and side splitting. Also, Rathbone and Lansbury add fun to this zany spoof of Robin Hood and Scaramouche.
    Quoting DFXX:
    I guess it was what they wanted at the time.
    Yeah, to be good.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    Catch me if you can
    Tom Hanks and Leo Dicaprio

the second time I saw tha movie, liked it a lot better, I must say...

~PD
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Quoting Bondov:
    I think Phantom is the type that gets better the more it soaks in. At the time of watching it, I knew it was a good movie, but after I left the theatre and got back to my room, I realized that it was a great movie.

I recently saw Phantom and really enjoyed it.What was great was that I hadn't seen a review and new very little about the story.I went with a friend who wanted to see it,so I took it completly at face value.Loved everything about it and thought the sets and costumes were amazing.I thought the masquerade ball was fabulous and Butler and Rossum had great chemistry.

Also saw The Incredibles recently as well.Very good though a bit long for a kids film.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Beverly Hills Cop, Martin Brest, 1984

Still an absolute classic, wha a fantastic film. Eddie Murphy at his absolute finest; infact still probably his finest performance to date. Judge Reinhold, John Ashton and Ronny Cox are fabulous supporting actors here, and Berkoff is a great villain. This really came together well, and I never tire of watching it.

I'd recommend to anyone. 10/10