Last film seen...

Comments

• Hugo DraxHugo Drax Leeds, United Kingdom.Posts: 210MI6 Agent
    Having taped it last week, I got around to watching Zulu last night. It's a beautifully-shot film and the John Barry score has clear Bondian undertones.

Have wanted to watch this film for a while and am glad I finally got around to doing so.
  • MAHOMAHO Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    The Dollars Trilogy -- they're just as good every time.

---
    jfm

"it's no joke. it's a rope, tuco" -- blondie
  • jbfreakjbfreak Posts: 144MI6 Agent
    Ummm, I think the last movie I watched was Apocolypse Now, but I fell asleep
  • Lyle Dark-008Lyle Dark-008 Posts: 64MI6 Agent
    How bad was it?
  • BondovBondov Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    Last night, my friends and I had nothing better to do, so we went and saw Elektra. To be completely honest, I'd say that it wasn't a waste of time, but that's because we had nothing better to do. I would say it was a waste of money, however. I'd say rent it if you see it at all. We were entertained because we made fun of the movie throughout its duration.

I caught the better part of Garden State earlier today as I was avoiding my roommate. Highly recommended -- I'm going to try and watch it again before the person has to return it.

Aaaaand I watched Beauty and the Beast earlier tonight because, as I was hanging out with a few people, I mentioned I hadn't seen it, and they forced it upon me. Wasn't too bad, though.

I've been watching a few other movies off and on (Goldeneye, to name at least one), but my momentum of movie-watching has definitely decreased since I returned to school.
  • justvisitingjustvisiting Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    I just watched "Lord of the Flies" . . . the original . . . and one of the things that impressed me about this well-adapted version of the novel is the casting. The young actors were the genuine personification of the book's characters. I was particularly impressed with the actor who played Jack, who had this haughty, upper-class British accent that was PERFECT for the character. Also well cast were Piggy and Ralph.
  • little nellie1little nellie1 Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Never read the book or seen the movie but it sounds good.

Last night I watched Star Trek Generations. It wisn't the best Star Trek movie I have seen. But then again i don't watch all that much Star Trek.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Instead of studying for my upcoming finals (finals? what finals?), I ended up watching the third Indiana Jones film on the Sci-Fi channel. Definitely it's great fun to watch (I rather like the bit when Indy punches the Nazi official off of the zepplin and brusquely explains "No ticket!" to the frightened passengers), and I still can't decide whether or not I like Raiders of the Lost Ark more than this one.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • the golden gun guythe golden gun guy USAPosts: 102MI6 Agent
    just watched LALD it seems better every time I watch it
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Garden State. Quite good, but a bit like The Graduate minus Mrs Robinson + the sex part. You know the expression Benjamin Braddock has at the end of the film in the coach as it drives off. Well, the main star is like that for most of the film, though we find out he's on lithium.

Also, lots of soul searching with the girl he's around, Natalie Portman, a bit like Elaine in The Grad.

Still, lots of quirky support stars give it the feel of that film Rushmore.

OK, but not as good as it thinks it is and i'm not sure how sympathetic the lead is supposed to be.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    I just watched dodgeball last night and I thought it was pretty funny. I just liked watching people get hit with the dodgeballs, ooh, good entertainment.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Just got done watching FRWL with my kids. It never gets old.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • one night standone night stand Posts: 127MI6 Agent
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    Just got done watching FRWL with my kids. It never gets old.

Should we be expecting a Sir Hillary Bray, Jr. on this site soon. Certainly a great movie to get them into Bond.
    edited January 2005
    Quoting one night stand:
    Should we be expecting a Sir Hillary Bray, Jr. on this site soon. Certainly a great movie to get them into Bond.
    Well...no, for several reasons:

1) My offspring are all female, so it would be something more like Ruby Bartlett.

2)They are young enough that they still view Bond as "something to do with Dad" as opposed to something they like on their own.

3) They are appalled that I spend my time writing about Bond on a website! :o
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Hehe... Ruby and Nancy? :)

BTW, how did they like FRWL? It's certainly not a 'kid flick.'
    Quoting The Cat:
    Hehe... Ruby and Nancy? :)

BTW, how did they like FRWL? It's certainly not a 'kid flick.'
    Sorry to keep taking this off topic, but since you asked...

They liked it better than I thought they would. Maybe because, with a little narration from Dad, the plot actually isn't that complicated. They loved Grant, and remarked early on that he was scary because "he never talks" -- pretty perceptive, I thought.

My littlest one, who never gets anything that's going on (but has a remarkable memory for scenes) had one complaint -- that Kronsteen talked too fast "and in a weird language." :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Ronin.

That final car chase is The Car Chase. Absolutely spectacular.

Funny thing, though, when seeing the movie I had constant deja-vu sensations -- whuile watching most scenes I recalled having sen them before, but for the life of me, I can't ever remember havong seen Ronin before. Maybe I was drunk.

---
    jfm

"if you don't mind, i'll pass out now" -- sam
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Watched a double bill, two very intelligent and eerie horror classics. Village of The Damned and Children Of The Damned

Both had great casts. George Sanders, Barbara Shelly, Michael Gywnn, Ian Hendry, Patrick Wymark, etc. I prefered the first one though, the children were more terrifying with their blond wigs and glowing eyes. Plus the red paint mark seperating the safe and dangerous part of Midwich while the entire town is unconscious, creepy.
  • jbfreakjbfreak Posts: 144MI6 Agent
    For Your Eyes Only. Only because it was the last movie Starz showed.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Watched The Matrix last night on DVD.
    The Manchurian Candidate -- the original. Good movie. I couldn't help laughing out loud twice during the movie.

(1) The voice-over in the bginning of the movie sounds exactly like the voice-over Stan Freberg used in his American History.

(2) Sinatra's fight with the Korean guy. This kept me laughing out for really long. Inspector Clouseau, anyone?

---
    jfm

"we started out as romeo and juliet but it ended up in tragedy" -- milhouse
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I saw National Treasure at the theater a couple weeks ago. It was excellent. I enjoyed it very much. Sean Bean was a great choice opposite Nick Cage.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • _Gobinda__Gobinda_ Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    edited January 2005
    The last I've watched was TWINE, yesterday.

The next movie I'll watch will be AVTAK, probably later today.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    The Aviator.

Hmm, not great. Very slick and looks gorgeous but quite phony. Hollywood films about Hollywood tend to be, see Singin' In The Rain and Nickelodeon. It's a tedious in-joke, with everyone posing and posturing.

Leo is a charisma-free zone. Not awful, just can't carry it. Cate Blanchett gets quite irritating as Katherine Hepburn. Jude Law pointless as Errol Fynn. You keep thinking, nah, that's not quite right.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited January 2005
    Ivanhoe with George Sanders, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Fontaine, and King Solomon's Mines with Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr.

Warner Brothers in conjunction with Turner Classic Movies are releasing their 'What You Voted For' lineup of these classic and often overlooked films. Affordable prices so I purchased both. (region one)

Making their digital age debuts, and both featuring pristine prints with beautiful color.

Watch for Warner's next project, a boxset of their classic Cagney and Bogie gangster flicks! (alright!)
    Murder by Death-it's terribly campy and makes absolutely no sense, but I love it anyway. It's a total parody of all of the really famous fictional detectives of 20th century.

And in how many other movies do you get David Niven, Dame Maggie Smith, Peter Sellers, Peter Falk, Truman Capote, and Alec Guiness in the same room?
  • little nellie1little nellie1 Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    Finaly watched Goldeneye after saying I am going to watch it 2 weeks ago.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Quoting Tracy:
    Murder by Death-it's terribly campy and makes absolutely no sense, but I love it anyway. It's a total parody of all of the really famous fictional detectives of 20th century.

And in how many other movies do you get David Niven, Dame Maggie Smith, Peter Sellers, Peter Falk, Truman Capote, and Alec Guiness in the same room?

I love this film. It's got more twists than a Gardner Bond story ;) and has some great performances from the cast. They must have had a ball making it.
    YNWA 97
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Quoting Tracy:

I love this film. It's got more twists than a Gardner Bond story ;) and has some great performances from the cast. They must have had a ball making it.

They certainly must have :) Supposedly the scriptwriter, Neil Simon, offered to rewrite any bits that Alec Guiness didn't like, but Guiness found everything so funny that he didn't end up changing a thing :)).
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Quoting Tracy:

MAN! That movie is awesome. Got to love the wise Chinese sayings Of Peter Sellers! And the way Capoite always corrects his grammar... :))