Last film seen...

Comments

• ahh mr bondahh mr bond Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    Quoting JakeL:
    Titanic (I will never forgive myself :)) )
    Titanic was voted the worst film ever on BBC's Film 200? a year or two ago.And I agree!
    Went on too long and just not a good film.(Also inaccurate, as I beleive, the real Titanic had 4 funnels, only 3 were real, the fourth being a dummy just for show.The film has 4 working funnels)

Worst film i have EVER SEEN though is The Avengers!!!!!!!!!
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Quoting ahh mr bond:

Worst film i have EVER SEEN though is The Avengers!!!!!!!!!

I'm embarassed to say that my introduction to John Steed and Emma Peel was through this film, and I was absolutely horrified even at nine years of age. It took me several years before I was brave enough to watch the TV series which I ended up loving tremendously. It really does help to have filmmakers who have seen the original TV show for which their film is a remake...
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I watched The Ipcress File last night. I even ignored the NCAA basketball tournament -- a rarity for me.

Saltzman producing, Barry scoring, Hunt editing, Adam and Murton designing -- many of our heroes had a hand in this one. Barry's work is brilliant.

It has been ages since I saw this, and I had forgotten how slyly funny it is. Guy Doleman and Michael Caine must be the only two cinematic spies in history who conduct business while pushing shopping carts through an "American-style" supermarket. Very humorous scene!

See this if you want to see the flipside of Bond -- a spy portrayed as an underpaid, over-bureaucratized civil servant who sleeps in a cheap East End flat and for whom an exotic locale is a bandstand in St. James's Park.

The director, Sidney Furie, uses a very quirky technique that is hit-and-miss, but overall this is a classic that should appeal to most people on this board.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • OstromiteOstromite Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    I watched The Ipcress File last night.

Yes, God bless Turner Classic Movies. Once I figured out what it was, it instantly became my favorite station. I watch it almost every day.

Also, the last movie I watched was Being Julia with Annette Bening. A very good film, very witty and clever dialogue with superb acting. I couldn't help but draw connections to All About Eve, though, as a lot of the story elements were fairly similar. However, it wasn't a direct rip-off by any means and, even if it were, a rip-off of a film as classic as All About Eve would still be better than most of the tripe on the video counter.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    [quoteAlso, the last movie I watched was Being Julia with Annette Bening. A very good film, very witty and clever dialogue with superb acting. I couldn't help but draw connections to All About Eve, though, as a lot of the story elements were fairly similar. However, it wasn't a direct rip-off by any means and, even if it were, a rip-off of a film as classic as All About Eve would still be better than most of the tripe on the video counter.[/quote]

I'm so glad you mentioned this. It was directed by fellow Hungarian István Szabó. I'm not a fan of Hungarian cinema, but his works are always unique and if I'd recommand a dircetor of my country, he'd be the one. The movie is actually based on a short-story bu someone whose name I can't remember at the moment, so I doubt All About Eve would be the source... Unless it was made from the same story. ;)
    edited March 2005
    Quoting The Cat:
    I'm so glad you mentioned this. It was directed by fellow Hungarian István Szabó. I'm not a fan of Hungarian cinema, but his works are always unique and if I'd recommand a dircetor of my country, he'd be the one. The movie is actually based on a short-story bu someone whose name I can't remember at the moment, so I doubt All About Eve would be the source... Unless it was made from the same story. ;)

I don't think All About Eve was the source, I merely thought they had a lot in common, if even by mere coincidence, though that may be due to the universal themes of the world of theatre.

Also, being of Hungarian descent, I'm somewhat embarrassed that this is the first film that I'm aware of that I've ever seen directed by a Hungarian director (a director who happens to have the same surname as my family, no less).
    Quoting Sir Hillary Bray:
    I watched The Ipcress File last night. I even ignored the NCAA basketball tournament -- a rarity for me.

Saltzman producing, Barry scoring, Hunt editing, Adam and Murton designing -- many of our heroes had a hand in this one. Barry's work is brilliant.

It has been ages since I saw this, and I had forgotten how slyly funny it is. Guy Doleman and Michael Caine must be the only two cinematic spies in history who conduct business while pushing shopping carts through an "American-style" supermarket. Very humorous scene!

See this if you want to see the flipside of Bond -- a spy portrayed as an underpaid, over-bureaucratized civil servant who sleeps in a cheap East End flat and for whom an exotic locale is a bandstand in St. James's Park.

The director, Sidney Furie, uses a very quirky technique that is hit-and-miss, but overall this is a classic that should appeal to most people on this board.

Completely agreed, Sir Hillary. Besides the fact that I love Barry's score to pieces, an excellent tribute to Anton Karas's famous zither score for the Third Man, I was also really happy to finally see a spy who needed to wear glasses on a regular basis rather than just for a cover.

And I must confess, I'll never look at canned mushrooms ever the same way! :D I was a bit disappointed to discover later on that it wasn't actually Michael Caine cracking open the eggs in the cooking scene, though; the hands actually belonged to the Harry Palmer series author, Len Deighton, who happened to be an excellent cook.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    LTK on TV last night. I loved the uncut version where you could see Krest's head blowing up!
    I never get tired of watching that film!
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Quoting Ostromite:
    Also, being of Hungarian descent, I'm somewhat embarrassed that this is the first film that I'm aware of that I've ever seen directed by a Hungarian director (a director who happens to have the same surname as my family, no less).

Hm... I'd like to recommand a Hungarian film, but that's a tough job. From Szabó, I would sat Mephisto is a 'must.' It is our only Academy Award winning feature film and features pre-Largo Klaus Maria Brandauer as a actor in the Nazi Germany. It's a chilling performance.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,690Chief of Staff
    I saw Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy last night. I was told this was a comedy - an embarrassment more like ! It's one of the worst films I have ever seen, it just didn't work on any level. It's a 10 minute sketch, at best, so why they decided to stretch it out further I've no idea - other than cash, and it can't have made much of that.
    YNWA 97
  • DominoDomino Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
  • Secret Agent ManSecret Agent Man Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    Quoting Domino:
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The USA Network has been showing these two alot this weekend. :)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Quoting The Cat:
    [quoteAlso, the last movie I watched was Being Julia with Annette Bening. A very good film, very witty and clever dialogue with superb acting. I couldn't help but draw connections to All About Eve, though, as a lot of the story elements were fairly similar. However, it wasn't a direct rip-off by any means and, even if it were, a rip-off of a film as classic as All About Eve would still be better than most of the tripe on the video counter.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. It was directed by fellow Hungarian István Szabó. I'm not a fan of Hungarian cinema, but his works are always unique and if I'd recommand a dircetor of my country, he'd be the one. The movie is actually based on a short-story bu someone whose name I can't remember at the moment, so I doubt All About Eve would be the source... Unless it was made from the same story. ;)[/quote]

The author you're thinking of is Somerset Maugham.

The gentleman who wrote and directed All About Eve is Joseph L.Mankewicz.Yes,the father of Tom Mankewicz who later contributed to the screenplays of some of the James Bond movies and completely rewrote the screenplays for Superman and Superman II when director Richard Donner. decided that Mario Puzo's ultracampy script was unfilmable.

More than one film set in and around the theatrical community deals with an older performer supplanted by a younger one.The similarity in the themes of these two movies is probably a coincidence and nothing more.

In fact,another variation on this theme appears in the movie Broadcast News which was written by James L.Brooks.
    I just rented the remake of Alfie, this time starring Jude Law instead of Michael Caine. Being a fan of the original and a fervent hatemonger of remakes, I was loathe to watch this film. However, to my surprise and delight, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It may not have had the punch that the original had in the 60s, and it did lack a lot of the subtlety in the final scenes, but I think it's a fairly good adaptation to our modern times. Jude Law is excellent as Alfie Elkins: handsome, cool, and very, very charming. Also, one of my favorite actresses, Marisa Tomei, makes an appearance as a single mom, a somewhat 2-dimensional character in the original that Tomei fleshed out into a somewhat moving performance.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,653MI6 Agent
    Quoting Ostromite:
    I just rented the remake of Alfie, this time starring Jude Law instead of Michael Caine. Being a fan of the original and a fervent hatemonger of remakes, I was loathe to watch this film. However, to my surprise and delight, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It may not have had the punch that the original had in the 60s, and it did lack a lot of the subtlety in the final scenes, but I think it's a fairly good adaptation to our modern times. Jude Law is excellent as Alfie Elkins: handsome, cool, and very, very charming. Also, one of my favorite actresses, Marisa Tomei, makes an appearance as a single mom, a somewhat 2-dimensional character in the original that Tomei fleshed out into a somewhat moving performance.

I saw this the weekend before last, and I agree that it misses the punch of the original, but it was good. I have to say that my appraisal changed drastically after watching the special features, "The World of Alfie," "The Women of Alfie," etc. Though I like Jude Law a lot, I think that a younger Hugh Grant would have been more convincing as the self-absorbed, hedonistic playboy. However, Jude is the prettier of the two boys.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,653MI6 Agent
    Last weekend, I watched the 2nd Brigit Jones movie (thought the 1st was better) and Resevoir Dogs for the 1st time. I thought "Dogs" could have been longer, but it was relatively good. Even early on, evident is Tarantino's penchant for deviant, expletive-filled banter, cum urban poetry, but I can't help but think that as a youth, Tarantino likely WISHED that he lived the life of a tough instead of fantasizing about it through a nerdy perspective. How close is that to the truth?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    You had never seen Reservoir Dogs, Superado? I like it but Steve Buscemi can get awfully irritating on repeat viewings. Just cough up a buck you cheap (expletive)

let's see, last film I watched was The Mark Of Zorro. I owned the DVD for a while, but never viewed it since I already had the VHS, the only extra was an A&E Biography of star Tyrone Power (which I'd seen before) Anyway, what a movie! Linda Darnell is so darn cute and Power is such a bad boy. The chase scene is awesome, the entire movie is awesome.
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    The Big Hit, decent movie starring Mark Wahlberg, Lou Diamond Phillips, alot of action sequences, but the lead character (Wahlberg) was great at his job , but terrible in his personal life. Kind of wanted to slap him at certain times of the movie.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    Quoting superado:
    I thought "Dogs" could have been longer, but it was relatively good.

Indeed, but then how could anyone dislike a film which featured the legendary Lawrence Tierney?
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    "Kull the Conqueror" (1997)

- Enough said. Some good moments, but overall I'd have to advise people to avoid at all costs.

3.7/10
    The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, with Sean Connery. This film got some of the worst reviews I've seen when it was on at the cinema, but I quite enjoyed it. I thought Connery gave a great performance, which does seem odd as he and the director, Steven Norrington, came to blows on set.
    YNWA 97
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Say it ain't so, Sir Miles! I found TLOEG to be an absolute mess! Anyway, the last film I saw was the classic The Captain's Paradise, with Alec Guinness as a ferryboat captain with a wife in two ports. Very funny and enjoyable.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I watched Pulp Fiction recently for the 3 time in two weeks. I can't get enough of it.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    I was passing time yesterday morning just flicking through the tv channels and I came across Carry On Doctor. I've seen this film countless times, but it still makes me laugh. Jim Dale, Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jacques, Barbara Windsor, Frankie Howard, Sid James and all are absolutely hilarious. There are so many great lines.

"I was once a weak man."

"Once a week is enough for any man."
    Oh, recenlty I watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Has anyone else seen this... bizarre... but somehow four star movie? I actually like it, but the sea pods are a little strange.
    Quoting Nightshooter:
    Oh, recenlty I watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". Has anyone else seen this... bizarre... but somehow four star movie? I actually like it, but the sea pods are a little strange.

I had a babysitter with a really twisted sense of humor when I first read the short story. Needless to say I stayed up nearly three nights straight afterwards and nearly kept up my parents, too, convincing them that otherwise they'd be replaced by aliens. I later saw the film and while fairly creeped out managed to stay up only a few hours later than usual.

I never saw that babysitter again, by the way :v.
    Quoting Nightshooter:
    It's a classic. Which version did you watch, 1956, 1978, or early 90s?
    Just watched "The Ghost And Mrs. Muir"

They don't make them like this anymore.
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Alex:
    Quoting Nightshooter:
    It's a classic. Which version did you watch, 1956, 1978, or early 90s?

The 1956 version
    Quoting Hardyboy:
    Say it ain't so, Sir Miles! I found TLOEG to be an absolute mess!

Well I didn't say it was Citizen Kane, and it is cliched, but I did enjoy it. This happens when people hype/criticise things, most either can't live up to the hype or don't seem too bad.
    YNWA 97