Last film seen...

Comments

• OstromiteOstromite Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    I finally, after years of searching for it in the video store, saw Kind Hearts and Coronets. As somewhat of an actor myself (though you've never seen me in anything), I was in complete awe and admiration of Alec Guinness. Forget the rest of the movie, Guinness shouldering TWELVE roles, many of which in the same seen, is... just... I can't describe it. Having filmed some difficult scenes in some indie flicks of mine, those scenes must have been near impossible. I have great respect for everyone involved with that film's production.
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Quoting Ostromite:
    I finally, after years of searching for it in the video store, saw Kind Hearts and Coronets. As somewhat of an actor myself (though you've never seen me in anything), I was in complete awe and admiration of Alec Guinness. Forget the rest of the movie, Guinness shouldering TWELVE roles, many of which in the same seen, is... just... I can't describe it. Having filmed some difficult scenes in some indie flicks of mine, those scenes must have been near impossible. I have great respect for everyone involved with that film's production.

I love that film! However, I only remember seeing Guinness in eight roles, and he's also seen in an ancestral family portrait if I remember correctly. I must confess, though, that I really disliked Joan Greenwood's simpering Sibella, more the character than the actress's performance.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    Quoting Sir Miles:
    Well I didn't say it was Citizen Kane, and it is cliched, but I did enjoy it. This happens when people hype/criticise things, most either can't live up to the hype or don't seem too bad.

I enjoyed this film too. It's a little like the new "Van Helsing" in its locations, styles, and in the fact that some things such as magic and certain items are out of place. Except "Van Helsing" was absolutely shockingly bad. I could actually sit and enjoy "The League of Extraordinary Gentleman" - even knowing that it was set in 1896, yet there was modern day technology used in places (tanks, the submarine, etc). Maybe it was just Connery that kept me watching, but either way I did like this film, and I did feel a little sadness for Connery's character at the end. It could certainly have been better though - no doubts there. I'm not a fan of the Director at all, so it's little wonder Connery almost came to blows with him. Maybe he was trying to knock some sense into the man.

I'd give it 7.8/10
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,653MI6 Agent
    Quoting Alex:
    You had never seen Reservoir Dogs, Superado? I like it but Steve Buscemi can get awfully irritating on repeat viewings. Just cough up a buck you cheap (expletive)

I wonder if I'd look at Buscemi differently today if I saw RD before Desperado. I find him funny precisely for his annoying, whiny voice. :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,653MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    Quoting General_Ourumov:
    Quoting superado:
    I thought "Dogs" could have been longer, but it was relatively good.

Indeed, but then how could anyone dislike a film which featured the legendary Lawrence Tierney?

Thinking myself pretty knowledgable of past and present actors of differing star stratas, I was never "aware" of Lawrence Tierney until now. Checking IMDB, the other two appearances I remember him in were "Tough Guys Don't Dance" and in "Seinfeld" playing Elaine's dad. IMDB also had some interesting trivia, and I now realize that Tierney was actually sending up his own persona on Seinfeld and not merely "acting" tough. Eventually he frightened the cast members so much that he was never asked to reprise his role. Similarly, in "Dogs," he actually intimidated several of his co-stars, reportedly clashing with Tarrantino himself, tough and crusty way into his old age it seems!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,690Chief of Staff
    Quoting General_Ourumov:
    I enjoyed this film too. It's a little like the new "Van Helsing" in its locations, styles, and in the fact that some things such as magic and certain items are out of place. Except "Van Helsing" was absolutely shockingly bad. I could actually sit and enjoy "The League of Extraordinary Gentleman" - even knowing that it was set in 1896, yet there was modern day technology used in places (tanks, the submarine, etc). Maybe it was just Connery that kept me watching, but either way I did like this film, and I did feel a little sadness for Connery's character at the end. It could certainly have been better though - no doubts there. I'm not a fan of the Director at all, so it's little wonder Connery almost came to blows with him. Maybe he was trying to knock some sense into the man.

I didn't think Van Helsing was that bad either, not good, but not bad.

As for Steven Norrington, I thought he did a wonderful job on Blade.
    YNWA 97
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited March 2005
    Quoting Moore Not Less:
    I was passing time yesterday morning just flicking through the tv channels and I came across Carry On Doctor. I've seen this film countless times, but it still makes me laugh. Jim Dale, Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jacques, Barbara Windsor, Frankie Howard, Sid James and all are absolutely hilarious. There are so many great lines.

"I was once a weak man."

"Once a week is enough for any man."
    I know the films are an institution over there, fact is I was unfamiliar with them up until a few years back. That's when I bought the entire boxset (Up until late 60s anyhow)

Carry On Jack is my favorite. :)
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    I watched Get Shorty on TV the other night, with John Travolta, as part as channel 5s John Travolta marathon. I enjoyed it a lot and thought John Travolta played Chilly Palmer very well.
    I want to see the sequel that's out now (I think it is anyway!). It's called Be Cool. John Travolta was talking about it on Parkinson last Saturday and it sounds better than the first one...if that's possible! :))
    It's a great film and I'd definitely recomend it. :)
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent
    Quoting FelixLeiter007:
    I watched Get Shorty on TV the other night, with John Travolta, as part as channel 5s John Travolta marathon. I enjoyed it a lot and thought John Travolta played Chilly Palmer very well.
    I want to see the sequel that's out now (I think it is anyway!). It's called Be Cool. John Travolta was talking about it on Parkinson last Saturday and it sounds better than the first one...if that's possible! :))
    It's a great film and I'd definitely recomend it. :)

Be Cool is supposed to suck big time, so be careful FelixL... Different director to the first film, another Travolta misfire.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I heard that some people liked Be Cool. I certainly loved Get Shorty, and have watched it many times. I love when Travolta throws Bear down the stairs in the restaurant. Interestingly, I believe Travolta was trying to emulate Connery as Bond in his role as Chili Palmer. (You can always go back to Bond!)
    quoting Nightshooter
    I heard that some people liked Be Cool. I certainly loved Get Shorty, and have watched it many times. I love when Travolta throws Bear down the stairs in the restaurant. Interestingly, I believe Travolta was trying to emulate Connery as Bond in his role as Chili Palmer. (You can always go back to Bond!)

Be Cool was out yesterday and I'm sure when I get round to it, I'll enjoy it. I enjoy that part in Get Shorty too. Though my favourite part is when Chili pushes the guy (can't remember his name!) over the bar and Bear shows him the screws!
    You're right about Bond. Travolta said on Parkinson that if he couldn't do Bond, Vhili Parmer was the closest he was going to get and he enjoyed playing him.
    Does anyone know where I can get Travolta's Pulp Fiction?
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The reviewer over here gave "Be Cool" a glowing review, regardless, I'm personally tired of Travolta's pork pie mug. Read the reviews for Sin City today, the writer was most impressed with Mickey Rourke's potential comeback, can't say I disagree with him, Rourke is great in my book. Willis, well the tough experienced cop isn't too much of a stretch for him, and Owen I hear adopts an American accent. Why? What's wrong with the one you were born with?

I hate it when actors do that.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Saw The Silence of the Lambs for the umpteenth time last night. What a great film. Lecter's escape from the Memphis holding cell is a masterful 15 minutes.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    I watched Get Shorty again, which caused me to miss the beginning of Mad City, part of channel 5s John Travolta season. I didn't know they did it on a Saturday night too.
    I started watching it at about 1:00 and it finished at about 2:30 in the morning. So I'm ordering it off the Internet.
    The end was incredibly moving and I cried a bit. You have to see it to get the feel of it, but it definitely was very moving. I definitely recomend it.
  • royale53royale53 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    It wasn't a film really, but i was just watching the whole 1st series of The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Makes me laugh every time i see it.
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Boat Trip . Very funny, and with a Roger Moore cameo , you can't go wrong.
  • Stromberg1Stromberg1 Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    L. A. Confedential, I was expecting a cheap movie that didn't deserve the Oscar nominations it got, but after watching it I found that it deserved to win the Oscars instead of just being nominated.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Just came back from seeing Sin City. I'll say this, WOW! Very cool movie. Also, there is one seen in the movie that sealed the deal for Clive being Bond. He has a look to him. There's a scene where he's holding a guys head in the toilet, the camera shows a face shot and Clive has this cold look to him. Kind of reminded me of Daltons look.
    Overall though Sin City is a good movie. Little bit of Nudity, some violence. But the whole visual effect of the movie is awesome. It's like a living comic book. But I think you have to read the comic book to know about everything going on. Even though I maintained intrest in it without ever reading the comic.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    I last saw The Living Daylights on ITV1 on friday.

It was good.

I'll be sure to watch A View To A Kill this friday!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Constantine. I liked it, and whilst it got a mix of great / average reviews, I thought it was pretty though provoking and visually stunning.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Quoting Stromberg1:
    L. A. Confedential, I was expecting a cheap movie that didn't deserve the Oscar nominations it got, but after watching it I found that it deserved to win the Oscars instead of just being nominated.
    You have great taste, Stromberg1. This is one of my all-time favorites. Russell Crowe is such a huge star now, it's easy to forget he was a virtual unknown in the US when this film came out. Also, you have to love James Cromwell playing against type. And how about the shocking demise of a major character far earlier than you expect -- I was so surprised by that the first time I saw it.

Speaking of my favorites, the last film I saw is my numero uno of all time -- North By Northwest, which ran last weekend on Turner Classic. I can say nothing about this film that hasn't already been said -- it simply has never been topped, IMO.

In the past week, I have now stumbled upon, completely by accident, The Ipcress File, The Silence of the Lambs and North By Northwest, each no more than 5 minutes in. I should probably play the lottery, or bet big in Vegas, or something -- my luck is clearly running hot. :)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Bond_JamesBond_James Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    I recently saw Phone Booth with colin farrell. it was ok it you like a somewhat poor plot and one set.2 out of ten.:(
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    The Mummy
    Dracula has risen from the grave
    Taste the blood of Dracula
    Halloween II , IV-V
    Robocop 2 (ugh...)

These were OK , but I wouldn't call them great.
    quoting DFXX
    I really want to see Rear Window because it's got my fave actor of all time in - James Stewart.

Rear Window is a very good film. It's been about 3 years since I've seen it. I only saw it once. I saw it when I was on holiday and there was a video of it at the villa we stayed in.
    I remember the storyline pretty well and quite a bit of what happens. I'd really like to see it again. I'm sure you'll enjoy it DFXX.
    The last film I saw was Bugsy Malone. I taped it off the TV almost exactly a year ago. It's good and everyone is played by kids with guns that shoot pies. It's oldish and one of the few movies I've seen from the 70s, apart from the Bond films.
    I see movies from this century, the 90s and the 80s. I don't really see any from before then apart from the Bond films. Rear Window is one of them as that was made in the 50s or 60s I think.
  • The BaronThe Baron Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    The Girl Next Door. Great eye candy with Elisha Cuthbert but the movie was horrendus.
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    The Ring Two

I entered the cinema with mixed expectations. I wasn't a great fan of the first film, probably because everyone told me it was terrifying. My hopes were battered a bit when I found out it was only mildly creepy. So with this film, I thought that the story would probably be poor (because the story in the first film was good), but the director would surely inject some life into the horror aspect and really try to scare the audience.

Unfortunately the director did not even achieve that. The scariest thing about "The Ring" was Samara, the girl herself, when she came after people. In the second film we see a lot of things which are caused by Samara, which just aren't scary at all. Such as, the two main characters are driving along when they are suddenly attacked by about fifty deer. Not just any deer either - CGI deer, very bad CGI deer. I cringed during the sequence. They also get attacked by some fire-tree-thing in their house, and they also get assaulted by the bathtub.

There are some good performances from the cast but it's no good. It's like a white filling in a mouth full of rotten teeth.

Avoid. 3.3/10
  • TracyTracy the VillagePosts: 369MI6 Agent
    Quoting DFXX:
    LAC was OK. The end was cool.

I've never seen NBNW; the only Hitchcock ones I've seen are Psycho, Vertigo, Rope and Rebecca.

I really want to see Rear Window because it's got my fave actor of all time in - James Stewart.

See both of them! You can definitely see North by Northwest's influence on the 60's Bond films in terms of the visual flair and the famous cropduster plane sequence.

I still can't believe that I missed the Ipcress File on TCM, argh!
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't stop trying.
  • royale53royale53 Posts: 24MI6 Agent
    The Eiger Sanction.
  • Nikolai_Diavolo 05Nikolai_Diavolo 05 Posts: 125MI6 Agent
    Sahara. It was okay.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent
    Enduring Love with wannabe Bond Daniel Craig and Rhys Ifans + Bill Nighy. It was on at the Prince Charles, L Square London.

Very very good but flawed. It's a Strangers On A Train type movie, where one guy (Craig) is stalked by another after a bizarre, random incident in a field involving a runaway hot air balloon.

However, around the beginning it's let down as you think, why doesn't the Craig character just tell the bloke to eff off? And why doesn't he get the police in? Or just come out and say "Oh, do you think I'm gay then? Is that it?"

So for that it fails but otherwise it's very good on how one person's insanity can be almost have a charisma and be strangely infectious to certain types...

Craig as Bond? No, but he's great to watch, but so were Michael Caine and Oliver Reed, they weren't Bond either...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017