Last film seen...

Comments

• Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    Escape Plan

At long last, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger appear opposite each other in the leads of a movie.

Our heroes star as inmates of a large, seemingly impregnable prison, which they hatch and develop a plan to escape from.

There's a good supporting cast and (as you would come to expect) plenty of action, but it's definitely The Sly and Arnie Show here.

6.5/10
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    watched Stallones cop land last night, been waiting ages for it to come back on regular tv,,its basically about a small town sheriff in New Jersey being in charge of a town that's inhabited by bent NYPD cops, who have no respect for him ,he seems to spend most of his time daydreaming of joining the NYPD ,but he cant due to being half deaf ,(wich is funny as most NYPD officers dream of joining
    other forces Nassua /Suffolk county police) good views across the Hudson of NYC :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    watched Stallones cop land last night, been waiting ages for it to come back on regular tv,,its basically about a small town sheriff in New Jersey being in charge of a town that's inhabited by bent NYPD cops, who have no respect for him ,he seems to spend most of his time daydreaming of joining the NYPD ,but he cant due to being half deaf ,(wich is funny as most NYPD officers dream of joining
    other forces Nassua /Suffolk county police) good views across the Hudson of NYC :)

To me, Stallone gives his best performance in Copland (other than his work in the first Rocky movie).
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I can remember FIST which Stallone made years ago, and feel he is a better actor than he portrays. Copland
    was another great film. I'm not saying he's a brilliant actor, only capable of better.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I recently saw this new Lone Ranger on DVD. "How bad can it be?" I thought. Answer: the English language does not have words to convey this level of badness.

Right off the bat, the movie makes the same mistake as Seth Rogen's assault on The Green Hornet a couple of years back: take a 1930s radio hero that no one could take seriously anymore and postmodernize him to a degree he's pretty much a self-parody. So, we get a Lone Ranger who's a goofy do-gooder who's always in his brother's shadow ("Kemosabe," it turns out, means "wrong brother" and everyone expects the Masked Man to be that heroic brother and not the shmuck brother--yuk, yuk). Every character ends up asking the Ranger "What's up with the mask?"; and Armie Hammer's performance suggests he's playing Brendan Fraser playing the Lone Ranger.

Like the Rogen Hornet, this Ranger also tries to defuse charges of racism in its use of a non-white sidekick by making said sidekick into the true brains and muscle of the outfit. But, in a further postmodernizing gesture, this Tonto is actually INSANE, which is why he comes up with stupid ideas like getting a white man to put on a mask and pretend to be a spirit. More yuks. With a Tonto who has no real connections to an actual Native American tribe, the producers could without guilt hire white dude Johnny Depp to put in another one of his performances that critics would call brilliant but more discerning viewers will call another collection of twitches and mannerisms.

Beyond this, the film is a bloated, chaotic mess--something about a 19th-century capitalist manipulating the railroads and a silver mine to take control of stock options. . .Did Oliver Stone write this? And is it enough to have a villain who's simply ugly and mean? Nope: this villain has to cut out and devour his victims' hearts! Happy nightmares, kiddies! In sum, don't make the same mistake I did. Believe the critics. This movie is bad. Toxically bad.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I didn't think much of The Lone Ranger either Hardyboy. I found I took little or no interest in the plot or the characters. Some of the action set pieces were enjoyable especially in the first 30 mins and the final action sequence which was great fun, especially when the William Tell Overture kicked in. Otherwise, the film was not particularly recommendable.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I recently saw this new Lone Ranger on DVD. "How bad can it be?" I thought. Answer: the English language does not have words to convey this level of badness.

Right off the bat, the movie makes the same mistake as Seth Rogen's assault on The Green Hornet a couple of years back: take a 1930s radio hero that no one could take seriously anymore and postmodernize him to a degree he's pretty much a self-parody. So, we get a Lone Ranger who's a goofy do-gooder who's always in his brother's shadow ("Kemosabe," it turns out, means "wrong brother" and everyone expects the Masked Man to be that heroic brother and not the shmuck brother--yuk, yuk). Every character ends up asking the Ranger "What's up with the mask?"; and Armie Hammer's performance suggests he's playing Brendan Fraser playing the Lone Ranger.

Like the Rogen Hornet, this Ranger also tries to defuse charges of racism in its use of a non-white sidekick by making said sidekick into the true brains and muscle of the outfit. But, in a further postmodernizing gesture, this Tonto is actually INSANE, which is why he comes up with stupid ideas like getting a white man to put on a mask and pretend to be a spirit. More yuks. With a Tonto who has no real connections to an actual Native American tribe, the producers could without guilt hire white dude Johnny Depp to put in another one of his performances that critics would call brilliant but more discerning viewers will call another collection of twitches and mannerisms.

Beyond this, the film is a bloated, chaotic mess--something about a 19th-century capitalist manipulating the railroads and a silver mine to take control of stock options. . .Did Oliver Stone write this? And is it enough to have a villain who's simply ugly and mean? Nope: this villain has to cut out and devour his victims' hearts! Happy nightmares, kiddies! In sum, don't make the same mistake I did. Believe the critics. This movie is bad. Toxically bad.

Ugh! Sounds painful!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    watched Filth today. It's about a Scottish cop who is trying to get a promotion whilst dealing with bipolar disorder. It's supposed to be a comedy but i found it depressing.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    Seeing the trailer for Filth was enough to put me off.

Watched A Time to Kill last night ( haven't watched it in years ). Brilliant film, with a fantastic cast, I'd
    forgotten how ( hard hitting ) but good this film is.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    watched Precious again last night, I have written about this film before ,its amazing , the sad thing about this film ,is the story line
    is probably very true for a lot of young girls , Myrah Carey is absolutely brilliant ,I urge you to go watch it today
    don't be put off by the cover of the dvd poster this is a true work of film art :)
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    watched Filth today. It's about a Scottish cop who is trying to get a promotion whilst dealing with bipolar disorder. It's supposed to be a comedy but i found it depressing.

Yes, me too. Very well made and acted but strangely for a film with a lot of funny moments in isolation, just overwhelmingly grim! Other bits are just strange and was that really David Soul driving the cab at one point?!!!?!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Yes, me too. Very well made and acted but strangely for a film with a lot of funny moments in isolation, just overwhelmingly grim! Other bits are just strange and was that really David Soul driving the cab at one point?!!!?!

David was in the film, seems an age since he was whizzing around in Starkys Torino , just glad he has work,
    voted at one time, as the worlds most handsomest man , we all have to grow old :#
    Mcavoy's accent threw me as well. I know he's Scottish but it's just weird after all that time hearing him speak in Shameless with a posh English accent.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    I finally got around to watching Cloud Atlas yesterday...its a well crafted and pretty well acted film...no idea why it needs to be so long though, although it didn't actually 'seem' that long...but it was interesting enough if not totally gripping...
    It's a bit odd when you spend a little more time than you should playing 'spot the actor under the makeup/prosthetic' though....oh...and Jim Broadbent acted the arse off everyone else on screen....the guy is truly superb -{
    YNWA 97
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...and Jim Broadbent acted the arse off everyone else on screen...
    Haven't seen Cloud Atlas, but I can imagine this to be true -- it generally is the case in whatever he's in.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    300: Rise of an Empire in 3D

Themistocles rallies the nations of Greece against Xerses, Artimesia and their Persian army in this followup to 300. The movie is full of slo mo battles, spectacular naval engagements and all manner of blood, limbs and entrails flying out of the screen. For all its spectacle, however 300: Rise of an Empire can be summarized in five simple words:

Eva Green. Nude. In 3D.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:

Themistocles rallies the nations of Greece against Xerses, Artimesia and their Persian army in this followup to 300. The movie is full of slo mo battles, spectacular naval engagements and all manner of blood, limbs and entrails flying out of the screen. For all its spectacle, however 300: Rise of an Empire can be summarized in five simple words:

Eva Green. Nude. In 3D.

Worth that just to pay Odeons extortionate Ticket Costs alone :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    TonyDP wrote:

Eva Green. Nude. In 3D.

Looks like I'll be booking a ticket then :x
    YNWA 97
    edited March 2014
    Recently watched LALD. Didn't watch it when it was shown today,already have the film. It's my favourite Moore film,it's got a good soundtrack by George Martin, Kananga's scheme is the most inventive of the series and we get to see Bond's house again. He now lives in a shag pad, Which is a big contrast to Bond's house in Dr No. There are some humourous characters in Whisper ("Anybody hooooome?" Tee Hee ("Heh heh heh heh heh heh heeeee! HEY!" :)) ) and Strutter ("can't miss him it's like following a cue ball!").

Actually watched it three days running.

Watching " A bridge too far " today ( haven't seen it in years ), and have to say Connery looks
    far better in it than he did for DAF. I guess after leaving Bond he just over did the good life before
    getting back in shape. :D
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    edited March 2014
    Attila '54 , 4/6

Legend of a fighter 4.5/6 , about legendary martial artist Fok Yun Gap (Fist of Fury is loosely based on circumstances his death)

Ulees Gold 4/6 , Peter Fonda as bee keeper with family issues

I've seen 5 ep's of Mandrake serial , he doesn't even wear magician costume/no moustache & Lothar is Asian not black.......doesn't feel like Mandrake to me , just some random guy in a suit (re : Lothar......30s prejudice I guess)
    watched the great escape again ,cant help thinking that Bond ( Craig ) was modelled on him ,but seriously
    I always get a little bit misty eyed at any ww2 film or any film from that era in fact ,in how the greatest language on earth has degenerated to the garbage that's spoken today :(
    German?
    German?

nein :)
    :) sorry could't resist it. I have The Great Escape on dvd. One of the best films ever ! -{
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Captain America - Winter Solder

Great follow up and I cant wait for the new Avengers.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Off work for a few days with an injury. Watched "Purge" - 20 years down the line and America is virtually crime and unemployment free. To keep order people can commit any crime for 12 hours, once a year. Sounded a bit of tosh, but I found it good. The divide between the rich (secure/protected) and the poor (virtually fodder for rich, murderous yuppies) was neatly pitched when the rich family's son lets in a hobo and they are under siege until they let him out to a blood hungry hoard.

Then "Gangster Squad" - Josh Brolin heads up a forties police team in LA to take down Sean Penn playing a convincing ruthless gangster boss. Loads of shooting, fighting and violence, good cast and hardly slow paced.

"North by Northwest" - Cary Grant is superb in this fifties spy thriller tense, funny and intriguing. Made me think he could have been closer to Fleming's Bond.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    North by northwest is a fantastic movie, Hitchcock was on top form and
    the soundtrack is brilliant too -{
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    Becoming a Hitchcock fan - also watched "Rope" which was brilliant. All set inside an apartment with a cast of no more than eight. Two intellectuals kill a university classmate for the thrill of power. They invite the dead mans father over for supper and drinks, along with the dead mans girlfriend, serve food on the dresser his body is lying in, really perverse stuff. James Stewart is their former lecturer who sees through the innuendo and teases out the truth. This would be a perfect stage play - I imagine it's been done many times.

"Rear Window" another great film which feels more like a play. James Stewart again playing a sports photographer laid up with a broken leg. He starts spying on his neighbours from his window, their lives playing out a kind of play. But he sees something he shouldn't. And what's more, the person he's spying on sees him. Really tense stuff which proves with good writing and direction films don't need huge budgets.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    The only problem I have with Rope, is at the time Hitchcock was experimenting with a "Ten Minute take"
    so it was filmed in 10 min chunks, which for my taste seems a little slow. Rear window is another great film
    Have you ever seen "The Detectives, Jasper carrott and Robert Powell" who did a brilliant Piss take of it. ?
    John Carpenter admitts that his film Halloween is an Homage to Hitchcock, and the Famous Steven Spielberg
    Shot, where the camera is pulled back from the subject, while at the same time zooming in, was Originally a
    Hitchcock camera move. ( He had Spielberg thrown off one of his sets ), Which only goes to prove If you're
    gonna steal, steal from the best ! :))