Last film seen...

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Though Not a spaghetti western
    I wasn't exactly sure what to call it. It's more of an action comedy, taking place in the wild west.
    I guess you could call it a bit of a crossover from spaghetti western, but it was filmed in Mexico with an American director, I'd just call it a western.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    Watched a British b-movie last night, Dead Man's Evidence, starring Conrad Phillips who was famous on TV for playing William Tell. Main point of interest is that it's a spy flick from 1963, showing some minor Bond influences. Plot-wise it's very slightly reminiscent of Dr.No, with Irish locations instead of sunny Jamaica. Unfortunately, it's very, very dull stuff indeed, enlivened only by a twist ending.

It was the last film to feature the actor Bruce Seaton, who was well known on TV as Fabian of the Yard and must have really needed the work. In the same year he inherited a baronetcy on the death of his brother and left the acting profession.

If you need to see it and are based in the UK keep a look out for the listings for Talking Pictures TV.
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges...a modern day western set in West Texas...an extremely good movie....every actor did a great job.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Ammo08 wrote:
    Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges...a modern day western set in West Texas...an extremely good movie....every actor did a great job.

I haven't seen it yet, but the director is David MacKenzie. He is rumoured to be one of the frontrunners to direct Bond25.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    I started a HAMMER marathon.

@ToTheRight made me into a fan.

-The Hound Of The Baskervilles
    -Dracula
    -The Gorgon

just literally bloody great all three, Peter Cushing is simply fantastic as Sherlock Holmes and it's the most unique interpretation I have seen of Baskervilles.

Christopher Lee is in all three of them too together with Cushing.

Yesterday I had to watch TMWTGG. Saw it with different eyes really as I have become quite a fan now of Lee too.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    every Hammer film I've seen has both Lee and Cushing
    well I've only ever seen one other, She with Ursula Andress as Ayesha, and they were both in that one

that version of Hounds... is more faithfull to what Doyle actually wrote than other versions I've seen. I think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce were the definitive pair, but Bruce in particular plays Watson as a fool, and Doyle's Watson was much more capable than that. Also most Rathbone/Bruce movies were set in the then-present day (1940s), where'd all the hansome cabs go?
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    just literally bloody great all three
    I've seen HAMMER but I'm sure that that is a very strategic use of the word.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Sterling ArcherSterling Archer Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    Just watched Warrior (2011) for the first time and it had me in tears at the end. If you haven't seen this movie, go watch it. The type of movie that reminds me of how powerful movies can be.

When is Tom Hardy going to get an Oscar...
    Just watched Warrior (2011) for the first time and it had me in tears at the end. If you haven't seen this movie, go watch it. The type of movie that reminds me of how powerful movies can be.

He got one, for supporting actor in the revenant
  • Sterling ArcherSterling Archer Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:

He got a nomination but he didn't win.
    Chriscoop wrote:

He got a nomination but he didn't win.
    I must be having a dolly has braces moment :(
    In that case he really is due one!
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm watching an absolute favourite of mine, Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970).
    It stars Clint Eastwood as not The Man With No Name, aka Hogan and Shirley MacLaine as Sara.
    Outside of the Leone trilogy, this may very well be my favourite spaghetti western with Clint.
    What do you think about it? There is not a great deal of reviews on it and I'm thinking of making one soon™.
    Though Not a spaghetti western I like two mules for sister Sarah, another good morricone score and I think it was the first of a few films Clint starred in directed by Don siegel, It was a film I struggled with when I was younger but came to love later in life.

I was in my mid-teens when this came out and I remember loving it when I saw it at the cinema. I saw it again a few years back and i thought the first half was brilliant but the second half dragged a lot. It's strange how you see things in a different light when you're older.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent

-Dracula
    -The Gorgon

just literally bloody great all three, Peter Cushing is simply fantastic as Sherlock Holmes and it's the most unique interpretation I have seen of Baskervilles.

Yesterday I had to watch TMWTGG. Saw it with different eyes really as I have become quite a fan now of Lee too.

I love Hammer movies -{
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent

-Dracula
    -The Gorgon

I love Hammer movies -{
    I grew up on them, saw some in the theatre first run, most memorably Frankenstein Created Woman & Dracula AD: 1972 (Stephanie Beacham & Caroline Munro in THE SAME FILM!!!) :x
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I finally caught up with last years adaptation of Le Carre's Our Kind of Traitor. I read the book early last year and thought it was an enjoyable, but by no means classic novel from Le Carre. I am a big fan of his 60s and 70s work, but Traitor was the first of his modern novels that I read. I enjoyed it, but wasn't blown away.

The same goes for the film. I thought it was a good adaptation of the novel, with a good cast, some good looking cinematography, and reasonably faithful to the book. However, it is not up there with the likes of 2011's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. One thing that I really enjoyed was seeing Damian Lewis playing an Englishman. I've always liked Damian Lewis, but this is the first time I've seen him playing his own nationality.

I will also catch up with A Most Wanted Man soon. I haven't read that novel, but I think I will go ahead and watch the film without reading the novel first.
    Just returned from the cinema after watching Baby Driver.
    By god, it was so good.
    Might even make my favourite films of all time.
    Watching John Wick Part 2 right now.
    Just returned from the cinema after watching Baby Driver.
    By god, it was so good.
    Might even make my favourite films of all time.
    Watching John Wick Part 2 right now.
    I saw John wick 2 a couple of weeks ago, it very enjoyable.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed John Wick 2, but somehow felt it was missing something, as I think the first
    film was better.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I enjoyed John Wick 2, but somehow felt it was missing something, as I think the first
    film was better.
    I agree on it missing something. It's odd. Like it led up to something but you don't really feel affected by the Italian's death.
    Cold and empty like and assassin would.
    A very enjoyable film in its own right and I though that it was better than the first one.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Bugs life ,a great Pixar/Disney film ,I think all the Pixar films are good ,im just a big kid at heart :))
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    I just watched "Inglorious Bastards." I have not seen it in a long time and had no idea Léa Seydoux was in it. What a nice surprise!
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Logan Lucky, it was enjoyable but one of those films that you don't really care to see again. Wouldn't be too sad if Soderberg went back into retirement.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    A Bridge Too Far. Richard Attenborough's epic film detailing the failed Operation Market Garden in WW2 Netherlands. Huge ensemble cast of major stars, including Sir Sean in perhaps the largest role. Gotta say, while it's visually impressive and deserves kudos for not glorifying war, it's also very repetitive, and I ultimately found it a slog.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    A Bridge Too Far , It Happened One Night , and Where Eagles Dare, waver between my favorite movie.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    Jackie (2016) starring Natalie Portman as Jackie Kennedy. This movie is about Jackie the first week after President Kennedy was killed. I don't know much about her even though I've read a biography about her husband. I like how the movie shows how aware Jackie was about protection and building her husband's legacy. I like everything about this movie: acting, editing etc. The music was unusual for a movie about the presidency. Hardly any drums and horns, instead more utsettling music. I once guided Jackie Kennedy's cook around the local museum. I wasn't told of his background until he left, if I knew I would have asked him a couple of questions.
    Tinker tailor ,soldier ,spy, I must have seen this (Gary Oldman ) version half a dozen times ,it gets better every time . The last time I watched it ,I wrote on AJB that the good guys were using Walther PPKs , Now last night ,god knows how I never saw it before , :s ,behind "C" (John Hurt) on a shelf were Bulldog Jack figurines (from Skyfall) and as I mentioned ,the great John Hurt was called "C" as in Spectre also ?? (coincidence ) And again the character of Ricky Tarr was played by my new favourite actor ,the wonderful Tom Hardy . Does any of our esteemed members know where the end scene (I assume ) army camp is . Cant wait to watch it again .Any other Bond,TTSS cross overs I may have missed 8-)
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Scum(1979)

One of the best British films ever made. It's a disturbing film, that has 2 suicides and a gang rape in tbe greenhouse, but it has some humour as well. The character of Archer, provides excellent comic relief and is played brilliantly by Mick Ford.

The murderball game was great too. Funnily enough, the PE instructor was played by Ray Jewers. He was in TSWLM as a crewmember of Commander Carter's sub.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    American Made by Dough Liman starring Tom Cruise.

This movie is about a real man, Barry Seal, who worked for the CIA and smuggled cocaine in the 1980's. This movie is different from almost everything Cruise has made lately. Not only does he play a crimminal, but one who is very human. His character isn't always on top of things and he sometimes looks confused ("How much is a kilo?") and other than flying he isn't very skilled. The story is also entertaining. It involves the rise of the Medellin cartel and the Iran/Contra scandal. It's also funny and has an almost anarcist tone. Good fun!
    Gonna watch Foxy Brown ('74) tomorrow as I had seen Jackie Brown and needed some more Pam Grier into my life.
    "A chick with drive who don't take no jive".
    Watched John Wick 1/FYEO tonight and QoS yesterday.
    Voyage to the bottom of the sea was on our TV today , well it was raining again ,so i thought why not , Any way the Captain gives an order to a guy off camera ,whos name is Sparks , "I know that accent any where " its the voice of "phones" from Stingray :D , i didnt know the actors name ,but a quick look on Wikipedia ,and the name Robert Easton comes up , i would recognize that voice any where :D