Last film seen...

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    Barbel its so good to have access to your brain, I cant believe how many Bond-related details you have locked in there
    what must your bookshelves look like?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    Here's a couple of samples!

2012-11-23_22.06.52.jpg

2012-11-23_22.08.09.jpg
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Tinker, taylor, soldier, spy. The new version, with Gary Oldman as George Smiley.

I had seen the television series with Alec Guiness at the time, which I loved. But I have to say that this film was absolutely amazing. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, even though I knew who the 'bad guy' was from the beginning. But only because I remembered it from the tv show.

Really enjoyed watching this.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I saw the new IT yesterday. It was really well acted and visually striking even though it succumbs to some horror clichés. I was reminded of Stranger Things and Super 8 at times which is a compliment. I've never seen all of the original version with Tim Curry but I know this new one is more graphic and disturbing, one gruesome scene in the beginning is going to be particularly hard to forget. Definitely the type of film I recommend to see on the big screen with a full audience in the dark.
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    I saw the new IT yesterday. It was really well acted and visually striking even though it succumbs to some horror clichés. I was reminded of Stranger Things and Super 8 at times which is a compliment. I've never seen all of the original version with Tim Curry but I know this new one is more graphic and disturbing, one gruesome scene in the beginning is going to be particularly hard to forget. Definitely the type of film I recommend to see on the big screen with a full audience in the dark.
    Agreed.
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Watched Fast & Furious 6. Haven't seen it in ages. Still a hoot of an action film -{ so over the
    top. The chase sequences are amazing, and of course it has the longest runway in the world. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Rogue, an Australian horror about a group of tourists, stalked by a large
    Killer Crocodile. Not bad and the CGI wasn't bad for an obviously small
    Budget movie
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,224MI6 Agent
    Going to watch Cool Hand Luke in a couple of hours.
    Heard it was very good, never seen it before.

I hope you enjoyed Cool Hand Luke, DP. One of the greatest movies ever and Paul Newman's best role.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    It's funny watching the three marketeers 1973. A brilliant film.
    I quickly looked up who did the score, as I noticed a similarity
    In places to NSNA, and yes it was by M Legrand.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    American Made with Tom Cruise - excellent central performance, well told story, with humour and a tinge of melodrama. A nice refreshing watch with few pyrotechnics and CGI, mostly character driven, well scripted, fun and short.
    It's funny watching the three marketeers 1973. A brilliant film.
    I quickly looked up who did the score, as I noticed a similarity
    In places to NSNA, and yes it was by M Legrand.
    Ahh this is an underrated classic. Looks fabulous. Funny. Exciting. Well acted. What more can you possibly want?
    Tinker, taylor, soldier, spy. The new version, with Gary Oldman as George Smiley.

I had seen the television series with Alec Guiness at the time, which I loved. But I have to say that this film was absolutely amazing. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, even though I knew who the 'bad guy' was from the beginning. But only because I remembered it from the tv show.

Really enjoyed watching this.

Yes. Love it. Gary Oldman is amazing. A gripping, low key thriller. It proves you don't need endless chases, fights and gun battles to hold an audience to the edge of its seat.
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Just saw American assassin it was one of the best films I've seen . I love the books so was dubious about plot changes and changing ethnicity of one of the major characters.
    But absolutely nailed it. Fantastic plot , great locations exciting fight scenes.the finale edge of your seat breath taking scene .
    Anthony
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Just saw American assassin it was one of the best films I've seen . I love the books so was dubious about plot changes and changing ethnicity of one of the major characters.
    But absolutely nailed it. Fantastic plot , great locations exciting fight scenes.the finale edge of your seat breath taking scene .
    I love the books too and I'm looking forward to seeing this.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff

I've read quite a few reviews of this film...all of them say the film is atrocious...badly acted and with a horrible clunking script...although all the reviews say Michael Keaton is excellent in it...
    YNWA 97
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

I've read quite a few reviews of this film...all of them say the film is atrocious...badly acted and with a horrible clunking script...although all the reviews say Michael Keaton is excellent in it...

Opinions on films always subjective I can only say I thought it was great. Vince Flynn 's widow and his brother were blown way with how good it was and how well the characters were portrayed and captured by the actors as was the biggest Flynn fan site.
    Anthony
    Would anyone remember an old movie " The Amateur " which seems to have a similar set up
    idea ? Family killed and a CIA tech guy trained and set out for revenge.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:

Opinions on films always subjective I can only say I thought it was great. Vince Flynn 's widow and his brother were blown way with how good it was and how well the characters were portrayed and captured by the actors as was the biggest Flynn fan site.

I wholeheartedly agree that film reviews are subjective -{ it's just I haven't even seen a review of this film that said it was worth the admission price...
    I also don't put too much store by what family members think - they obviously want a hit movie for the money...but if you enjoyed it - that's all that matters {[]
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    American Made

I caught this before it left the cinemas, and took my elderly dad as I am fed up with taking him to see stuff like Churchill and Dunkirk, all these worthy war epics.

It's good stuff, a Tom Cruise vehicle and then some, as he's almost always in it and he is doing something different here, playing a loser really, the establishing scenes have him as a bit of a jerk and slow on the uptake. This is good stuff, but as he's a bit older now, it doesn't have the same ring as his young, dumb and full of... that his earlier roles had, he can't be on youth's learning curve anymore.

It's a B-movie really, and follows the Scorcese template where a guy narrates his downfall with jump cuts and some groovy classic songs on the soundtrack. It's about a TWA pilot who is lured into doing some photographic work for the CIA over Middle America, and then sidelines into smuggling drugs. All sides seem to be complicit and treacherous.

It lacks the X-factor somehow, as it lacks authenticity despite it being based on a true story, a bit like Catch Me If You Can. It also becomes a bit repetitive as it is just him flying out to places and up to no good, but it's good to see Cruise on the big screen again and this is not so different to Joel in Risky Business, as he becomes out of his depth as the film goes on. It's also the sort of role Charlie Sheen could have played, though it's more of a surprise to have Cruise doing this.

The guy who played the CIA agent was a smart figure, an interesting new actor. Otherwise, I'd have liked to see Cruise more part of a team, like he was in Risky, as by himself when not playing the dashing lead, it can get a bit empty.

Doug Liman did the direction, it's good but a bit behind the curve.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    The American
    starring the stunningly beautiful Italian medieval village of Castel del Monte
    damn, those at some fine alleyways, staircases, cafes and patios, and Wikipedia tells me the village is surrounded by large national parks
    also features George Clooney as a gunsmith-for-hire working on the side of apparent evil

if Clooney could pull off an English accent, and were maybe a foot taller, he'd make an excellent Bond
    he could definitely do the funny bits and the charming bits
    The American
    starring the stunningly beautiful Italian medieval village of Castel del Monte
    damn, those at some fine alleyways, staircases, cafes and patios, and Wikipedia tells me the village is surrounded by large national parks
    also features George Clooney as a gunsmith-for-hire working on the side of apparent evil

if Clooney could pull off an English accent, and were maybe a foot taller, he'd make an excellent Bond
    he could definitely do the funny bits and the charming bits

I love this film, so many Bond homages too, ppk, persol sunglasses, omega watch. The setting is stunning and as stunning in real life.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I don't remember much of the movie. Just that it was very well shot and the ending made no sense to me at all.
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't remember much of the movie. Just that it was very well shot and the ending made no sense to me at all.
    It was well shot and paced really well for the story, I didn't struggle with the ending though ?:)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    IT

Remember watching the original made for TV version when I was about 10!!!

Was expecting it to be meh but it was actually very well made
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    It was well shot and paced really well for the story, I didn't struggle with the ending though ?:)
    I can barely remember anything from the plot anymore, I just remember that was my impression at the time. It's entirely possible that I missed a major plot point back then.
    edited September 2017
    re: The American
    Number24 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I didn't get the ending, had to rely on Wikipedia for that one
    he sabotages the gun he's designing so it explodes in the assassins face, presumable in the last sequence we watch him refining it. The assassin's horrible facial wound is therefor the result. I didn't get that at all, and was wondering who had shot her.
    Also its not clear how he got shot. Either he got hit by the assassin's bullet even though the gun backfired, or his boss-type shot him?
    wikipedia also says some of the dialog was borrowed from Graham Green, which may make it a bit more thoughtful than the average thriller. Clooney is warned not to make anymore friends, so he makes friends with a prostitute and a priest.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    The Big Sick

A struggling Pakistani-American stand-up comedian (Kumail Nanjani, probably best known for "Silicon Valley") meets a grad student in the Chicago comedy club in which he's honing his act. They quickly fall for each other, but he's also dealing with his more traditional Pakistani family who are trying to arrange a marriage for him. The woman falls into a mysterious coma, and all of his secrets are forced into the open.

It's no spoiler to say she eventually emerges, as this is based on the true story of Nanjani and his real-life wife, who co-wrote the script with him. What's interesting is what happens in between -- his growth as a person and how he accepts (or not) -- and is accepted by (or not) -- the people pulling at him from different cultural directions. It's all played with a great mix of humor and pathos, and I found it quite touching.

Recommended.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Thus is a good review for Kingsman 2 ( most critics
    Don't seem to like it ), but I'm still looking forward to it.
    https://youtu.be/kQsQ2OQaTuc
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Thus is a good review for Kingsman 2 ( most critics
    Don't seem to like it ), but I'm still looking forward to it.
    https://youtu.be/kQsQ2OQaTuc
    I enjoyed the first one.
    "Bond, James Bond"
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    Finally watched The Sweeney (2012) on TV last night. Actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Thought the gunfight in Trafalgar Square was really good (reminded me of Heat, which I guess was the idea). Sadly, the big car chase at the end was dire. Almost like they'd ran out of ideas and budget. I know TopGear did something with this when it was being filmed, assisted in some way? Or just messed around with their own? Can't remember. But the car chase does look as if it were filmed by them! :#
    "Any of the opposition around..?"