Last film seen...

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,808MI6 Agent
    I think the feeling was pride that a Norwegian book is filmed by Hollywood here in the country. I think it's the first time since the 1950's a Hollywood movie is filmed entirely with Norwegian locations. This might change if the bad reviews keep coming in. One critic wrote: "We could have done it better our selves."
    Perhaps foreign critics will like it better? SPECTRE was reviewed better in the UK than in the US, so cultural differences play a part.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    One critic wrote: "We could have done it better our selves."

I thought you already had...?...well, at least made a movie of the book :D
    YNWA 97
    No, this is the first movie made from the Harry Hole-novels. A movie was made from the standalone "Head hunters" and it's excellent! I reccomend you watch it :)
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Spielberg, a new documentary about guess-who that has begun airing on HBO. It's a comprehensive look at his life and career, focusing on many of his best-known films and featuring extensive interviews with the man himself, his sisters, his parents and a wide array of friends and professional relationships (producers, cast members, crew, critics, other directors).

Daniel Craig talks about how Munich depicts a realistic cycle of violence, punctuating his remark with "Life is not a James Bond film" and a wry smirk. Most amusing.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    "Life is not a James Bond film" and a wry smirk.
    Well, he's certainly doing a good job making James Bond films not feel like Bond films (even if Iove them either way).
    a reasonable rate of return
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,949MI6 Agent
    Alien Covenant

I like these two new Ridley Scott Alien films. We see lots more of the biological life cycle of the scary critters. As well as labs and test tubes and tissue samples and drawings.
    There's nothing quite so freaky disturbing as the emergency caesarian/abortion/abdominal surgery sequence from the previous film.
    There is a bit very much like the cargo-plane finale from The Living Daylights. That film oughta be earning royalties from all its imitators.

More important than the actual alien lifeform is the character of David, played by Michael Fassbender. An android who has immediately decided his flesh-and-blood creators are inferior and has his own agenda of how to reshape life in the universe in his own dispassionate scientific interests. Seems like some of the questions Scott was originally asking in Blade Runner have crossed over into his other big film. Maybe there will be an Alien vs Blade Runner film in our future?

Will try to see the new Blade Runner this week.
    Seconded on Blade Runner.
    Will try Friday.
    It's long but I hope it's worth it.
    Liked the first one.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    No, this is the first movie made from the Harry Hole-novels. A movie was made from the standalone "Head hunters" and it's excellent! I reccomend you watch it :)

Really? I thought I’d read that it had already been filmed once...ah well...don’t they even pronounce his name wrong in the film...? :o
    I’m surprised they chose The Snowman for the first film...I thought there were far better Hole novels...
    YNWA 97
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Will try Friday.
    Liked the first one.
    I saw it on opening day here. No spoilers- I'll just tell you that if you really like the Final Cut version of the first movie (the one with no narration), you'll probably like this one a whole lot too. But if, like me, you absolutely fell in love with the original theatrical release (with the narration), you might have some problems with it. It's visually amazing and the direction is fantastic, but it lacks a bit in the writing IMO.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    edited October 2017
    Final Cut was the one I'd seen mainly due to the colours and most people preferring it over the theatrical release. Happy ending and end narration didn't work at all for me. It's not that kind of film.
    Thanks for the info!
    I read somewhere that it bombed at the box office. Seems that people didn't care enough to watch it.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I must admit I'm not a fan of the narrated version or the happy ending.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Will try Friday.
    Liked the first one.
    I saw it on opening day here. No spoilers- I'll just tell you that if you really like the Final Cut version of the first movie (the one with no narration), you'll probably like this one a whole lot too. But if, like me, you absolutely fell in love with the original theatrical release (with the narration), you might have some problems with it. It's visually amazing and the direction is fantastic, but it lacks a bit in the writing IMO.

Interestingly, the plot of the new movie could have resumed from either the theatrical or final cut version of the original movie, whether or not Deckard was a replicant. I took notice when I watched because I earlier read a statement that the new movie was technically not a sequel to the original theatrical version in which Deckard was not a replicant explicitly. Though the new movie gave many nods to the original (like characters manipulating technology in the way Deckard did with the ESPER), this was a great movie in its own right though it suffers from inevitably drawing comparisons with the original. Saw it in IMAX but I need to rewatch it again.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited October 2017
    Slightly different to all yours, I've just watched the lego Batman movie with my little boy, Its brilliant, had me laughing in places ( "my names Richard Grayson, but all the other kids at the orphanage call me Dick" :)) and kept me thoroughly entertained. I'm hoping to go see " the snowman" this weekend and br2049 during the week.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I saw Bladerunner 2049 last night. There are so many trapp to fall into when making a sequel to a modern classic, but this movie is excellent! I really hope the director does Bond next :007)
    The International reviews of a The Snowman are (if possible) even worse than the Norwegian ones. How disapointing.
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Purely out of interest, has anyone seen the SAS Embassy Siege movie called 6 Days yet with Jamie Bell as the lead? Keep reading that it's out, yet am struggling to find anywhere to watch it.
    Number24 wrote:
    The International reviews of a The Snowman are (if possible) even worse than the Norwegian ones. How disapointing.
    Very disappointing! I've not read the book so when I see the film I have nothing to compare it too. On paper this should be a good movie, the cast is good, Tom alfredson did a brilliant job with tinker tailor, and the source material is lauded. I'm reminded of tgwtdt which got a hammering from some critics but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Critics rarely put me off seeing a film.
    The movie should have been good based on source material and the talent in front of and behind the camera. Alfredson now says they discovered they had filmed too few scenes in Norway, so they had to creating them in England in post production. How is this possible with an experienced director?
    Now it looks like the best directors and actors here in Norway could have made a far better movie.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I must admit I'm not a fan of the narrated version or the happy ending.
    Everyone calls it the happy ending... I see that today as I saw it back in '82- Deckard bought them some breathing room by B-lining it into wilderness. Now they have to find food & water & shelter all while avoiding scavengers and the authorities. That's hardly a happy ending... 8-)
    He also said Rachel had a full lifetime in front of her and not just four years. I'd call it a happy ending, at least for that type of movie.
    Number24 wrote:
    He also said Rachel had a full lifetime in front of her and not just four years. I'd call it a happy ending, at least for that type of movie.
    Okay, you put that well.
    Still, it makes sense that Tyrell's personal property replicants like Rachael would be free of the life span limit... for research purposes if nothing else.
    Saw BR2049 today.
    All I can comment at the moment is...well...wow.
    I'm going to see it today, managing to escape from Mrs coop and the kids.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm going to see it today, managing to escape from Mrs coop and the kids.
    You're going to enjoy it but don't expect much from the music.
    It's Zimmer trying to replicate Vangelis.
    Unsuccessfully.

However, I can speak volumes of how well done everything else was.
    I think Zimmer succeded with the music. Just like the movie as a whole a sequel of a classic movie must echo the original, but not copy it. Zimmer had kept some elements and created some new, such as the Tibetan chanting. I liked it a lot.
    Well the vip ticket is booked, film starts in 35 minutes, I'm just finishing my late lunch and keeping an open mind, I've seen both versions of the original, but not for many years......
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Zimmer succeded with the music. Just like the movie as a whole a sequel of a classic movie must echo the original, but not copy it. Zimmer had kept some elements and created some new, such as the Tibetan chanting. I liked it a lot.
    Same here. Like the film as a whole, it shouldn't have worked, but it did.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Same here. Like the film as a whole, it shouldn't have worked, but it did.
    There's no denying that Zimmer tried to homage the soundtrack while giving it his own twist but in the end, which parts of Zimmer's score do you remember?
    I think that's an important question as in most of the movies he works on, the music fits in and does not attract attention to itself, thus appearing more like filler than anything else. For me, movie music should add to the atmosphere and the magic of the movie-going experience. It should indulge you into living inside the movie for its runtime.
    Imagine having, in this forum's case, Zimmer scoring Moonraker's lure into the pyramid scenes. It just wouldn't of had the impact it did on-screen.

For me, the part of the score that I did enjoy was, coincidentally, his rehash of Tears in Rain from the original Vangelis-scored Blade Runner, which of course was excellent but lacked the soul and feel of the original. It felt like something was missing in the tune.
    Bladerunner 2049, first off, no spoilers. It's been a few years since I saw the original ( and best) and still I didn't find myself struggling with the story at all, this could almost be a stand alone movie. The visuals are stunning, and for me do catch some of the iconography of the original, Bond fans will no doubt spot many well placed and some blatant product placement. Even atari gets in there which I'm not even sure still exists? But is a nice throwback for me. Gosling delivers a great performance (as do all the cast) long gone are his pretty boy role days, I felt real empathy for his character, worthy of a mention is Dave bautista who adds some meat to his own acting chops. Harrison Ford still has it in spades.
    The direction is superb, there is an array of contrasts and the backdrops and sets are a feast for the eyes all driven along by a very good zimmer score, which for me is a departure from his norm, not a church bell toll in earshot. The ending is sublime and both concludes this story and leaves it open though for my money the stark beauty of the final scenes should be left where they are, a further sequel risks diminishing the whole thing. In all I enjoyed it a lot, I'm glad I havnt waited for it to watch at home as for me it would lose something of its scale. 8/10
    There's no denying that Zimmer tried to homage the soundtrack while giving it his own twist but in the end, which parts of Zimmer's score do you remember?
    Well, I only saw it once... I couldn't even remember the Jedi theme from Star Wars after only one viewing... :))