Superman Returns

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    They were also terribly disappointed Lou Ferrigno wasn't cast again as the Hulk. :s

Clearly those around you, who wished this, need drug testing. You gotta be kiddin' me here. :))

I'm still sorely anticipating a sequel to this with The Leader or Abomination added on. But they're dragging their feet on something like this... :'(

I kid you not; a lot of people I work with thought that the CGI Hulk was "too fat" and that it would have been better if Ferrigno had returned.

Last I heard, David Duchovny was being bandied about to play Bruce Banner and the movie might be another...wait for it...reboot. The rationale here being that people within Marvel actually agreed with the luddites who thought Lee's vision was too artistic and esoteric.

Bad, bad, idea. Bana was superb as Banner and that in itself should warrant his reprise to the role.

Clearly there are idiots in charge here or too many chefs in the kitchen.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited June 2006
    I thought that I'd share this with you guys. It's a link that was sent to me courtesy of my co-workers upon hearing my dislike for the latest installment. It's on YouTube:

It's titled 5 Reasons Why Superman Returns Sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zn6BHGFCo

I think this guy tried to go for a humorous rant but I do get a couple of his points.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    edited June 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I think you might be overthinking things a bit. It is a fantasy, after all.

I'm hardly overthinking this but yeah...you're right, Loeff. Afterall us fanboys should keep an open mind about how Hollywood loves to alter our beloved comic characters. 8-)

All right. You didn't enjoy it. I get the message. 8-) 8-)

There...I 'one upped' you on the rolleyes smiley...I wasn't wild about the kid either, and in fact think it doesn't bode well for future films---but what do I know? I'm only a fanboy who's been seeing my favourite character(s) take it in the *** on the big screen for years...maybe I'm used to it 8-)

(three rolleyes---a 'hat trick'!)

And yes...I do think you need a drink. {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    And yes...I do think you need a drink. {[]

Thank you. A Gibson? :)

• SPECTREagent-1SPECTREagent-1 Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    You take the kid out of the loop and I love the movie. It ended up being just ok to me. What a dumb idea. It left me puzzled in areas unresolved I guess. I went tonight and checked it out with my dad. I give SR a clear 8.0

Now my dad was more like RogueAgent. He hated it with a passion and there were certainly parts where I could understand the nausea one could feel watching this. So there ya go, RA! Misery loves company. ;)

My dad gives it: 3.8 :))
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    Based on reviews and talkbacks on forums like this, I think it's pretty obivous at this point that not too many people cared for the child subplot and its implications. Even people who liked the movie said they would have liked it more if that subplot had been removed.

It was an experiment that Singer tried; it's pretty unanimous that he failed with that aspect of the story. So I wouldn't be surprised if he is quickly written out of any sequel. Send him off to the Kent farm, Xavier's school for gifted children (there's a crossover for you) or send him off on a worldwide tour with Richard White. The bottom line is if audiences didn't care about him, they won't miss him when he's gone, regardless of how he's written out.

Kate Bosworth's performance has been pretty well panned across the board. I wouldn't even be surprised if future Superman movies recast Lois Lane; that would distance the kid even further since he is so closely associated with Bosworth's interpretation at this point.

If they could look past the whole Lois Lane memory wipe and all the other compromises and contrivances, they can defintitely write their way out of this one.
    edited June 2006
    Now my dad was more like RogueAgent. He hated it with a passion and there were certainly parts where I could understand the nausea one could feel watching this. So there ya go, RA! Misery loves company. ;)

My dad gives it: 3.8 :))

You must not listen to him much; what's wrong with you giving this film an 8? Yeesh....kids. :))

You're dad sounds like a good man. {[]

Although he's a bit harsher on it that I am. I gave it an honest 5.5. :D

edited July 2006
    I went to see it again today and I must say, I enjoyed it much more the second time around. My rating for it goes up to a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Bosworth wasn't nearly as annoying and when you step back a bit and think about it, the kid was really a minor cog in the whole thing. My brother was pretty much in agreement with me.

Can't say enough good things about Brandon Routh, he made for a really likable Superman and Clark Kent and I think the character is in good hands with him. I'd love to see him and Christian Bale do a Batman/Superman crossover movie. One can only hope.

As for how it's performing at the box office, it looks to clear $100 million domestically in its first seven days of release; that puts it at a slightly better pace than last year's Batman Begins. It remains to be seen if it will be able to sustain consistent numbers over the summer.
    edited July 2006
    Unlike Cheap Trick's "Surrender"...I won't surrender how I feel about this picture! Coincidently, I, too went to see it again, because my friend had an extra ticket and asked me, and I found it even worse. I miss Christopher Reeve even more now.

I swear to you, I went in with an open mind, tried to accept a few things and the pace...nothing changed for me...

BATMAN BEGINS still reigns king!!!

Batssketch.jpg

In this case anything BATMAN!

RogueAgent wrote:
    Unlike Cheap Trick's "Surrender"...I won't surrender how I feel about this picture! Coincidently, I, too went to see it again, because my friend had an extra ticket and asked me, and I found it even worse. I miss Christopher Reeve even more now.

I swear to you, I went in with an open mind, tried to accept a few things and the pace...nothing changed for me...

Even Batman and Robin? :o

Absolutely awesome rendition of Batsy BTW; I may not always agree with your taste in films but I gladly bow to your talent as an artist.
    edited July 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    Even Batman and Robin? :o

Okay maybe I let emotion overwhelm me on that. :)) I'm pretty sure not that one.
    Absolutely awesome rendition of Batsy BTW; I may not always agree with your taste in films but I gladly bow to your talent as an artist.

Thank you, sir. Who am I fooling? Been a stronger Bats fan than I ever was Supes since I was a kid. {[]

Honestly, I think that producers should explore more overlooked heroes and start new franchises with them. This Superman/Batman/X-Men thing can get a little stale for the masses as they just recycle them every decade or so...

I'd love to see Thor, Hawkman and of course Green Lantern adorn the big screen for a change. They all have the legs to go 2-3 movies within a franchise and start a new mania of fans.

Well, at least you don't think it's the worst movie ever. :)

I agree that with your notion about doing movies with other characters. Unfortunately, it seems that the powers that be don't have any faith in anybody other than Bats and Supes.

Here's something to consider: I'm an avid collector of superhero statues and busts (especially from the DCU); but the ratio Batman and Superman to everybody else is probably 10:1. Even the comics specific vendors get weak in the knees when you get past the big two. So, while I'd love to see a Green Lantern movie, I'm not going to hold my breath. For better or worse, Batman and Superman are the bread and butter DC movie heros; and if they ever fail to attract box office, WB won't hesitate to read that as a sign that the superhero movie fad has had it's day. Even Wonder Woman is taking forever to get to the silver screen (not that anybody could ever top the delectable Lynda Carter).
    Wonder Woman, BTW, is the only super-heroine that can bring in Supes/Bats type box office money.

Joss Whedon is in control of the project and I've heard he wanted Sarah Michele Gellar in the lead role. That may have changed since it was news I heard last winter...

RogueAgent wrote:
    Wonder Woman, BTW, is the only super-heroine that can bring in Supes/Bats type box office money.

Joss Whedon is in control of the project and I've heard he wanted Sarah Michele Gellar in the lead role. That may have changed since it was news I heard last winter...

I'd read that too; I'm not sure Gellar would be right for the role, she seems a little to "mousy" to me and certainly doesn't have the Amazonian physique I associate with the character (call me a sexist mysogynist dinosaur). Last I heard, some Indian actress whose only experience was with Bollywood movies was under consideration. From the pics I saw, she looked promising physically; I have no idea if she can act.

On the Green Lantern front, did you hear the rumor a while back that Jack Black wanted to do a GL movie? I haven't heard anything since and Black himself said that while he was a fan of the character even he didn't think himself GL material.
    edited July 2006
    TonyDP wrote:

On the Green Lantern front, did you hear the rumor a while back that Jack Black wanted to do a GL movie? I haven't heard anything since and Black himself said that while he was a fan of the character even he didn't think himself GL material.

That probably would've been a movie I hated even worse had it gone through. GL shouldn't be used as a comedy. Even if it does get green-lit, they'd probably look for a Rayner type actor rather than Hal Jordan or John Stewart.

As long as it isn't that Guy Gardner jerk, I can endure. I hate him.

• SPECTREagent-1SPECTREagent-1 Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:

Batssketch.jpg

Can I have this? :o
  • Cmdr_EgorunamuckCmdr_Egorunamuck Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    I've only seen the original (Reeve) movies on CD; but comapring them with SR, I like the new one a lot better (of course, if you pasted the first part of Superman / Marlong Brando on SR, it would be an even better movie.

I didn't watch it with a magnifying glass, just the big picture. The entire cast is better than the original team (blasphemy!??!).

Now, since this is AJB, I would hope that the new Bond would have a Bond that looks like Bond, with music that sounds like Bond music and so on. Return stayed true to the feel of Superman, they didn't try to be too clever. The FX and overall look is tops. Luthor is more believeable than Hackman. The beating of Superman was a big factor in that perception.

I feel that it's CK as Superman. He isn't Batman. YOu would think he would have some street smarts: check your super powers before entering:s .... too bad he didn't learn some hand to hand combat from Bruce Wayne.

Lois' boyfriend could have been a dweeb or a punk. Instead, he's a nice and brave guy. Should be interesting in the next one. Hope they have Lois really really wondering which one she loves, instead of the obvious.

Also: does Lois have a family? She should intro Clark to her mom and dad; and they say, Oh Lois, you should get serious with that young man.

Does Clark have a best friend? That's some pathos, growing up alone.

"Surely, you're joking!!?"
    "Don't call me Shirley."
    I've only seen the original (Reeve) movies on CD; but comapring them with SR, I like the new one a lot better (of course, if you pasted the first part of Superman / Marlong Brando on SR, it would be an even better movie.

Glad you enjoyed the movie, Commander. I'm curious, do you consider yourself a Superman fan or are you casual fan of the comics and movies? It's been my experience that the casual moviegoers have enjoyed SR more.
    I didn't watch it with a magnifying glass, just the big picture. The entire cast is better than the original team (blasphemy!??!).

REMOVE THE NON-BELIEVER!!! :)) :))

Seriously, I think that the cast of SR did a great job; the one asterisk for me was Kate Bosworth, who was nowhere near as good as Margot Kidder. Kidder may have not made for the prettiest Lois Lane, but she got the "plucky reporter" angle perfectly. Bosworth came across as just about everything but a reporter to me.
    Now, since this is AJB, I would hope that the new Bond would have a Bond that looks like Bond, with music that sounds like Bond music and so on. Return stayed true to the feel of Superman, they didn't try to be too clever. The FX and overall look is tops. Luthor is more believeable than Hackman. The beating of Superman was a big factor in that perception.

It is great that the filmmakers didn't get bitten by the reboot bug. They embraced what came before right down to using the original music and even recycling footage and pictures from the first movie. And it's also great that they cast someone who (gasp!!) actually looks like the classical representation of Superman.
    I feel that it's CK as Superman. He isn't Batman. YOu would think he would have some street smarts: check your super powers before entering:s .... too bad he didn't learn some hand to hand combat from Bruce Wayne.

Since neither Batman Begins nor Superman Returns appear to be the uber-blockbusters WB was hoping for, I'm crossing my fingers that they will do a crossover movie at some point. That would be a gas ( smilex gas, to be precise ;) ).
    Lois' boyfriend could have been a dweeb or a punk. Instead, he's a nice and brave guy. Should be interesting in the next one. Hope they have Lois really really wondering which one she loves, instead of the obvious.

Also: does Lois have a family? She should intro Clark to her mom and dad; and they say, Oh Lois, you should get serious with that young man.

James Marsden did come of as a good guy. But I think by the end of the movie, Lois already made her choice. You'll notice that Richard was nowhere to be seen in the last scenes.
    Does Clark have a best friend? That's some pathos, growing up alone.

The Clark Kent character definitely got the short end of the stick in this movie. He existed as little more than Superman's convenient disguise. Even though we all want to see Supes in action, I'd welcome some more scenes with Clark. Have him snoop around for one of his stories or something. The old George Reeves TV show handled Clark Kent very well, the filmmakers could learn a thing or two about the character from watching that show a bit more. Just stay away from Lois and Clark, that turd is worse than meteorite laced with Kryptonite.
    TonyDP wrote:
    The old George Reeves TV show handled Clark Kent very well, the filmmakers could learn a thing or two about the character from watching that show a bit more.

On...the...money. {[]

This movie was like...painting "Four Dogs Playing Poker" over the masterpiece "The Blue Boy".

But to each his own... ;).

edited July 2006
    I was surfing the net and stumbled across this viewer's review of the film c/o IMDB. I just thought that it was hilarious. :))

If you haven't seen it yet, please take heed because it gives away a lot of the film sequences...

83 out of 146 people found the following comment useful :-
    Superman Returns sure wasn't fun to watch., 30 June 2006

Author: Encyclopedia Brown from Hollywood, CA

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

I guess this movie is a fitting tribute to the first Superman film,as it is just as crummy and painfully long as the original.

After an opening scene consisting solely of murky intergalactic visuals, the credits pay homage to the even-crummy-looking-for-their-time futuristic sweeping credits of the original Superman film.

Then there is some more murky stuff. Ma Kent sees some kind of murky ruckus on the farm, and spends a good portion of my life slowly walking up to some debris in the cornfield. Then Superman sneaks up on her and faints.

Next we catch up with Lex Luthor in a scene about many murky close-ups of an old lady as she dies. We don't see Luthor's face until the end of the scene, an early instance of the film's drive to leave no hackneyed stone unturned. Lex Luthor is a guy who doesn't like Superman because he is not human. Also, he probably doesn't like humans either, as the movie occasionally features some kind of plot about Lex Luthor planning to kill most of Earth's population.

After a while, Clark Kent shows up back at his old job (I forgot to mention, he had been away on a five year trip where nothing happened). Then he finds out Lois Lane has an illegitimate kid and is dating Cyclops. It upsets him so much that he loses control of his super strength to such an extent that he accidentally breaks a picture frame.

At this point we see that Miss Lane is on some kind of jet attached to some kind of space shuttle. It is some kind of important event on account of it is on television. Then we learn that there are people in a control room monitoring this event. There are also people watching it on television and there are pilots in the cockpit. The film then reminds us that these people are involved by cutting between them for most of the summer.

As the events leading up to the inevitable disaster started to build, I excused myself to get a soda. I accidentally walked back into the wrong theater and watched that movie about Al Gore showing slides in its entirety. I tried to find my way back to Superman Returns, but I somehow wandered into Prairie Home Companion, which I watched twice in a row. Then it was time to stop messing around.

I walked back into the first theater, found my seat, and looked up to see that the impending Lois Lane space shuttle disaster was almost upon us. Still, it seemed to be taking forever, so I wandered around the theater, met a girl, got married, raised a son and sent him off to college. While attending my son's medical school graduation, I remembered that I should probably check in on Superman Returns, so I excused myself and raced back to the theater only to learn there was no need to hurry. It still took about another half hour before things went wrong for Space Shuttle Lane. When they did, Superman saved everybody, which was pretty cool.

. And then there is a a subplot where Superman turns really creepy and starts stalking Lois Lane and her family with his x-ray vision and super-hearing. Then he tries to get her to cheat on Cyclops, who seems like a good guy.

Meanwhile, Lex Luthor is involved in some kind of contest to display every possible generic villain behavior before the end of the movie. I forgot to bring my scorecard home with me (they give you one at the door), but I think he scored damn close to one hundred percent. I hope he wins the million dollars.

At this point, things start to gear up for the big murky finale. I think maybe the projector was broken, on account of the movie seemed to be in some kind of loop for a while here. I remember seeing murky things growing out of the water, Superman getting sick, Superman getting better, back to the murky things, he's sick again, no wait, he's okay again.

Then Lex Luthor unleashed his final bad guy move: yelling at his girlfriend a little bit.

Then Superman died and came back to life. I thought the movie was over, so I left.

Ninety years later, the nursing home where I lived felt a little chilly. I realized I left my sweatshirt back in the theater, and I went to retrieve it. When I did, I was slightly surprised to find that Superman Returns wasn't over yet. I tried to ask some of the viewers what I missed, but most of them were only skeletons with long gray beards by now.

I sat back in my old seat and watched as Lois Lane puttered around her house for a while. Then Superman showed up and started quoting the beginning of the movie, and since I already saw that part I thought it was okay to leave.

So that is my review of Superman Returns.

Oh, also, if you like jokes about people eating dogs or jokes about one dog eating another dog, you will love this movie. On account of there are two jokes like that in it.

You really have to let go of all this hate Rogue. But somehow I don't think it's going to happen (hears the voice of Darth Vader in his head: "It is too late for me...my son"). :))

Clearly, the guy wasn't much of a Superman fan. Once he trashed the 1978 original and mistook the opening credits for an actual scene, all his charm and credibility pretty much went down the toilet for me.
    TonyDP wrote:
    You really have to let go of all this hate Rogue. But somehow I don't think it's going to happen (hears the voice of Darth Vader in his head: "It is too late for me...my son"). :))

Clearly, the guy wasn't much of a Superman fan. Once he trashed the 1978 original and mistook the opening credits for an actual scene, all his charm and credibility pretty much went down the toilet for me.

Yes, clearly the Dark Side has consumed me when it comes to this film. :)) And yes, I'll probably be at the follow-up to this in a few years. Comics in the blood I guess...

I think this guy is a regular Marvel fanboy where on the IMDB site they're all comparing this picture with Spiderman & X-Men and it's pretty good entertainment on that site if you want to see tempers flare. For some reason the posters are vicious when it comes to their passions on what is better.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Yes, clearly the Dark Side has consumed me when it comes to this film. :)) And yes, I'll probably be at the follow-up to this in a few years. Comics in the blood I guess...

Just try not to slay any younglings, Darth Comicus. ;)
    I think this guy is a regular Marvel fanboy where on the IMDB site they're all comparing this picture with Spiderman & X-Men and it's pretty good entertainment on that site if you want to see tempers flare. For some reason the posters are vicious when it comes to their passions on what is better.

Oh, I know all about how passionate some of these fanboys can be. After seeing X-Men 3 (which I thought was an entertaining if not faithful movie), one guy who works at a comics store I go to called it the worst movie ever made. When I tried to point out such past gems as Batman and Robin or the old Canon Films movies like The Punisher (with Dolph Lundgren) or Captain America, he looked as though was was ready to assault me. I dropped the subject.

Anyhow, I know you'll kill me for saying this, but I actually like SR better than X-Men or Spiderman ( wait a second while I put on my helmet {:) )
    Nah, I can respect those who love SR...I just want to figure out what they saw that I didn't. I thought that I was paying attention... ?:) I love depth and story if you want to get arty with it; I just didn't see it here.

Funny, last week my LCS guy was almost in tears when I blurted out how much this film sucked. I had to tell him to take it easy...I mean neither one of us are getting a check from this. He made me nauseous when he thought that this garbage was better than the original.

Clearly I have to find another shop to frequent... 8-)

If only Richard Donner had the foresight to put Jason in the 1978 movie it would have been perfect, perfect I tell you!

Of course I'm kidding; even I would not compare SR to the original; Donner's movie is still the high water mark of comics films for me. I loved Batman Begins, but I still think the 1978 Superman is more of a "fun" movie if that makes any sense.
    It makes perfect sense only because Superman is supposed to be a fun character. The opposite of Batman's gloominess.

A couple of things I'd request from Singer before he does this dance again would be:

1. Kill the kid

2. Kill the kid

3. Get back the original costume or put the yellow S back on the cape. (I know it's nit-picking)

4. A formidible bad guy the Supes can at least pinch and perhaps get pinced back.

5. Give Bosworth her pink slip.

Last: Hire a writer who's comic savvy and not one of these losers from the Oxygen or WE channel...A little more testosterone next time, fellas...

If I were doing the sequel to SR I would...

1. Have a scene at the beginning where Lois is telling one of her friends about a wonderful school for gifter children in New York where Jason is staying. I'm sure Marvel wouldn't mind...

2. Don't even mention Richard White; pretend he never existed.

3. I actually loved the costume just as it was; I even thought the cape looked better without the "S" shield so I wouldn't touch that.

4. I'd have Darkseid as the main villain. Maybe have Desaad, Kalibak a few parademons. Open the movie with Darkseid dispatching some minor minions and setting his sites on Earth.

5. I'd have Lex Luthor help Superman defeat Darkseid and end it with a little setup for Part III where, after Lex has become popular for helping the good guys, he secretly tells Kitty that only he has the right to kill Supes as he inspects some Apokoliptic technology he happened to find.
    This is a Supes costume to me. I had a prob with that crew collar-cape thing.

http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5167175,00.jpg

Gotta go with you on the Darkseid thing, Tony. Darkseid hates his son Calibak and loves Orion, right? Add that to the equation and that's depth.

edited July 2006
    I saw that pic before; I think they basically lightened the colors and enlarged the "S" shield. I honestly don't mind either version and I admit I did like the raised emblem on his chest as opposed to a cloth "S" sewn on.

You're right, Orion is Darkseid's favorite son (although they are mortal enemies) and Kalibak is the shunned black sheep of the family, always trying to prove his worth, always failing.

I think having Orion might complicate things a wee bit too much for the average moviegoer. I'd have Darksied find Earth and send Kalibak to test her champion in Act I (of course, Kalibak gets his butt kicked, much to Darkseid's chagrin); have Darkseid unleash an all out attack on the planet, leaving Superman exhausted, defenseless, and at his mercy in Act II, and for Act III have Lex save Supes when he realizes Earth will be destroyed, find a weakness to Darkseid, have the knockdown dragout brawl to end all brawls, and dispatch Darkseid, beaten and broken, back to Apokolips thru a boomtoob. End the movie with Supes and Lex shaking hands in front of a battered White House and then, right before the credits roll, one last shot of Lex at his scheming worst.

You'll have to insert a few Oxygen/Lifetime moments for the non-believers in the audience and have Lois get into danger once or twice. Maybe have her find Lex and convince him to help.

That's my fantasy for the day. Well, at least the one I can write about here. ;)
    Not bad. Send it to Singer! ;)