Superman Returns

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Tony, that wouldn't be you and your wife would it? :v
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,285MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Dan Same wrote:
    Tony, that wouldn't be you and your wife would it? :v

Sorry to disappoint you Dan, but I haven't gone out in costume since I was a toddler. And I assure you, that isn't Halle Berry under the Yoda mask. :p
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    I thought that some of you guys might be interested in listening to the old Superman radio shows so here's a link for you:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype%3Aaudio%20AND%20collection%3Aoldtimeradio%20AND%20%2Fmetadata%2Fsubject%3A%22Superman%22

Enjoy ;)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,974MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I thought that some of you guys might be interested in listening to the old Superman radio shows so here's a link for you
    thanks for that!
    There's a little article over on IGN which suggests what the title of the next Superman movie might be. Not the most original, but I've heard worse.

Also, Singer expects to begin production in mid to late 2007 and has expressed interest in directing the Wolverine movie (maybe that'll be his exit strategy if the studio balks at his story for the next Superman movie).

http://movies.ign.com/articles/745/745173p1.html
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Superman: The Man of Steel; I don't think it's a bad title at all. However it's of a similar theme to Batman: The Dark Knight. I hope it's not a sign that the Batman films will become as bad as the Superman films. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    TonyDP wrote:
    Also, Singer expects to begin production in mid to late 2007 and has expressed interest in directing the Wolverine movie

"SINGERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!"

Kirk_scream.jpg

Dan Same wrote:
    Superman: The Man of Steel; I don't think it's a bad title at all. However it's of a similar theme to Batman: The Dark Knight. I hope it's not a sign that the Batman films will become as bad as the Superman films. :D

Maybe it's deliberate; a way to start tieing the two franchises together for some (inevitable?) crossover mega-event movie.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Also, Singer expects to begin production in mid to late 2007 and has expressed interest in directing the Wolverine movie

"SINGERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!"

Early rumors about Singer's proposed plot for the Wolverine movie: It turns out that Yuriko did not die after her battle with Wolverine at the end of X2 but somehow became pregnant with Logan's son instead and went into hiding in Japan. Meanwhile, a shady industrialist has concocted a plan to dramatically increase Japan's land mass and the cost of fatally rearranging the geography for most of the south pacific ... :o ;) :p
    Can someone tell me when the game for this picture is coming out? It was supposed to debut last month and have a GTA feel to it.

Or was the whole thing just shelved? ?:)

RogueAgent wrote:
    Can someone tell me when the game for this picture is coming out? It was supposed to debut last month and have a GTA feel to it.

November 20 according to IGN. Here's a link:

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/774/774362.html
    RogueAgent wrote:

Rogue, you must be psychic. They just uploaded a demo to this on Xbox Live for the 360. My initial impressions are a little mixed. The flying is fantastic; you can actually hit the sound barrier and the speed at which you fly over the buildings and land masses is palpable.

Gameplay in the demo consisted of following icons to trouble spots, destroying Metallo's robots, getting injured people to EMT ambulances and squaring off against metallo himself. The combat got a bit repetitive and it took a while to get a handle on the controls, which seemed a little loose. You also have different superpowers (freeze breath, heat vision, and wind breath) and have to use them strategically based on the types robots you encounter.

Overall the demo was OK but I don't think I'd want to spend $60 for it; I'll definitely wait for a few reviews and maybe a price drop before I take the plunge.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I also downloaded the demo, and it was cool. Not fantastic, but cool. The flying was pretty nice, although the transition from ground to flight was weird. I liked it, but I'd like to see a review.
    edited November 2006
    There's a very positive review of the DVD to Richard Donner's cut of Superman II over at IGN. Really looking forward to this one, especially those restored scenes with Reeve and Brando.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/746/746452p1.html
    There's a review to the Superman Returns DVD up on IGN. While the reviewer praises the film (sorry Rogue), he is not impressed with the standard DVD transfer. This may be the excuse I need to pick up that HD-DVD add-on for my Xbox 360. Have a read:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/747/747456p1.html
    people did not like the film, excepting of course the awesome action sequences.

Seeeeequence. Only the plane rescue, pal...singular- not plural. 8-)

All of which is why yours truly is honestly and enthusiastically urging folks to give the film a second chance on DVD; newly released in a two-disc special edition loaded with extras, the film finds new and no less vivid life on the small screen, and proves that sometimes it takes two or three times to realize that you love something from the start.

To mimick Borat: "This Superman movie was awesome................................................................................................................................................................ NOT!" :p

Thanks for posting, Tony. It just doesn't take me 4-5 viewings to realize that I don't love this picture; I plan on buying the game though... if it's good.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one Rogue. I'll definitely be picking it up; I just need to decide if I want to go with the standard DVD or take the plunge and get that shiny HD-DVD addon for the 360. Come to think of it, Batman Begins is also available in HD-DVD. Hmmmmmmmm...

I'd wait on the game though; it's gotten so-so reviews. The flying and superpowers are fun but I've read that the missions get monotonous very quickly. It looks like a $20 - $30 purchase, but no more than that.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Come to think of it, Batman Begins is also available in HD-DVD. Hmmmmmmmm...

Yessssss....your feelings do not betray you, Luke... Use The Force of the credit card and get it. :D

I will say that being a DC faithful that I will give Singer a chance to redeem himself in my eyes; hopefully the next installment will run circles around this trash. I still love Superman so maybe he'll do some comic reading and research from now until filming starts.

Note to Singer: It's okay for Supes to throw a punch every now and again; copy that from Donner. You may fair better next time.

I picked up the DVD to Superman Returns today. While I liked the film as much at home as I did in the theater, I was very disappointed with the DVD transfer. All of the darker scenes were quite grainy and had a muddy appearance making it sometimes hard to make things out. Some reviews have suggested this is due to the fact that the original source was digital material; I don't buy that at all as Star Wars Episodes II and III look striking and their sources are all digital as well. Personally, I think this is a shady attempt by WB to steer people towards the hi-def DVD versions. The sad part is they'll probably succeed. Sigh, now how much was the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player...
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    I picked up the DVD to Superman Returns today. While I liked the film as much at home as I did in the theater, I was very disappointed with the DVD transfer. All of the darker scenes were quite grainy and had a muddy appearance making it sometimes hard to make things out. Some reviews have suggested this is due to the fact that the original source was digital material; I don't buy that at all as Star Wars Episodes II and III look striking and their sources are all digital as well. Personally, I think this is a shady attempt by WB to steer people towards the hi-def DVD versions. The sad part is they'll probably succeed. Sigh, now how much was the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player...

You know I'm glad that came out of your mouth and not mine; I have heard about this already. I forbad my nephew from buying this "film" and once he sat down to watch it, claimed that this wasn't very distinguishable for him in alot of shots. Grainy was the exact word that he used as well, Tony.

Man, I used to hate that sort of thing when VHS tapes did it much less DVDs; you sort of feel cheated. :))

It may well be just a cheap ploy by WB to get you customers to loosen the purse-strings more for the HD- version...

edited November 2006
    I'd read some reviews and I knew going in that the transfer was not the best; but I was really shocked by how bad some scenes looked.

My problem is that I'm a confessed videophile. If I know there's a better version out there of something I like, no matter how hard I try not to think about it, it grates at me that I don't have it and eventually I break down.

I saw one of those Xbox 360 HD-DVD drives over the weekend and I came oh so close to buying it. I've resisted jumping on the hi-def DVD bandwagon because I really don't like this whole format war and I have no intention of repurchasing my collection again. I already did that twice (VHS to Laserdisc, then Laserdisc to DVD). But I have a sinking feeling that going forward, we're going to be getting more sub-par transfers like this. Oh well, if I do buy the HD-DVD version, I'll mail you my standard def copy since I know how much you loved the movie. :p {:)

BTW, I also picked up the Donner Superman II but haven't had a chance to watch that one yet. So many movies, so little time.
  • SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Hey brother, you forget we also had a healthy collection of videodiscs including most of the Bonds around the same time we had VHS.
    edited November 2006
    Hey brother, you forget we also had a healthy collection of videodiscs including most of the Bonds around the same time we had VHS.

DOH!! You're right; make that three library overhauls; not to mention all the movies and TV shows we recorded on either VHS or DVD, only to buy the commercial versions when they became available. And come to think of it, we've also replaced a lot of our standard DVD's with anamorphic versions. :s
    I have always wondered what happened to the laserdisc... ?:)

RogueAgent wrote:
    I have always wondered what happened to the laserdisc... ?:)

Laserdisc was always something of a niche format. Even though it had superior picture quality to VHS (its primary competitor for most of its lifecycle) the higher price of both the hardware and software and inability to record to laserdiscs always prevented it from gaining real mass-market appeal.

The arrival of the DVD pretty much killed what little momentum it ever had in America. Once DVD players came down in price most studios quickly dropped support for the laserdisc.
    edited November 2006
    I can't laugh too hard; I still own and use a VCR for certain programs I watch.

What I really need is one of those half and half players all in one. It'll keep me from running to one room to the other to play the two formats.

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    You can pick up a dvd player so cheap these days. Think people are giving away vcr's these days.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I can't laugh too hard; I still own and use a VCR for certain programs I watch.

What I really need is one of those half and half players all in one. It'll keep me from running to one room to the other to play the two formats.

I think its time you let those videotapes go and went all digital; get yourself a DVD burner and go to town. In case you're wondering, yes, we did convert all of our tapes to DVD a couple of years ago. At one time or another, my brother and I have owned just about every gadget imagineable for watching movies on your TV, including this. Do you remember this contraption Rogue?

101310006722_03_02.jpg
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    Do you remember this contraption Rogue?

101310006722_03_02.jpg

:)) :)) :)) Do I ever; I used to think that technology wouldn't get any better than that. Who knew?

I need to purchase a burner because all I have besides a dinosaur like this one, is a regular DVD player and of course Xbox plays the movies as well. Hard to let those videotapes go though...sorta like clinging to all of my 45s; there's something nostalgically endearing about the crackle.

edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Do you remember this contraption Rogue?

:)) :)) :)) Do I ever; I used to think that technology wouldn't get any better than that. Who knew?

Are you telling me you actually still own one of these? :o

I particularly loved the wood paneled top. Still, at the time the videodiscs you fed into this thing were cheaper than Laserdiscs and VHS movies. We even had the entire Bond collection (as of 1982) for it at one time.
    I need to purchase a burner because all I have besides a dinosaur like this one, is a regular DVD player and of course Xbox plays the movies as well. Hard to let those videotapes go though...sorta like clinging to all of my 45s; there's something nostalgically endearing about the crackle.

DVD burners are really cheap now; you can get a good one for around $150. The media is also dirt cheap and if you get yourself a few re-writable DVD's for everyday recording you really don't need a VCR anymore. The picture quality of the recordings, while obviously dependent on the source material, is also very good.
    edited December 2006
    OK, enough talk about archaic A/V technology; time to bring this back on topic (well, sort of).

I finally got to check out the Richard Donner cut of Superman II and all I can say is WOW! This is, IMHO vastly superior to the Lester/Donner hybrid. The balance of humor and drama is much closer to the first movie and it really feels like a continuation of that story. All of Lester's slapstick kitsch has been excised, as has the bit with the Eiffel Tower. The final confrontation between Superman and Zod & his minions at the Fortress of Solitude has also been simplified.

But by far the biggest change (and I feel improvement) is the restoration of Jor-El's scenes with Superman at the Fortress. Jor-El is present when Supes renounces his power (the look he gives Lois is priceless) and his final scene when he restores Superman's powers literally had me in shivers. The son truly became the father, and the father the son. Now that line really makes sense.

I could have done without a certain piece of time-bending at the end as it is a flawed way to resolve certain issues that crop up. Take that out and the film would have been perfect. But still, it is a great reimagining of Superman II and I don't think I'll ever want to watch the Lester/Donner version again.