XBox 360 Gamers.

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,288MI6 Agent
    Agent_M wrote:
    Help!
    I've just got the three red rings on my xbox I turned it off, unplugged everything then left it for a bit and started it up again. It woke up and worked for about two mins then died again the screen had a wierd red/pink fog over it. anyone else had this? should I unplug everything again or is it dead?

Sorry to hear that Agent_m. Usually, the red ring of death spells doom for a console. Some people have had success reviving a 360 with the "towel trick" but that's only a temporary solution.

Personally, I'd just call Microsoft tech support (you can get their number off the xbox.com website) and open a service call. The 360 has a 3 year warranty against the red ring of death so you should be covered and any necessary repairs will be made at no cost to you.
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    Thanks Tony the only problem is its second hand will that make a difference?
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Nope. All you need is the serial number of the console (I think!), which is of course located on the console.
    Agent_M wrote:
    Thanks Tony the only problem is its second hand will that make a difference?

Like Nightshooter said, that shouldn't be an issue as I've read that the warranty follows the console and not the owner. As long as that console has not been previously sent in for repairs, you should be fine.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    Wow, Tony, if you dont buy this game, im coming to your house and personally taking over your 360...First Review from IGN follows....

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p7.html
    I knew it would be amazing. Perfect 10!!!
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    I knew it would be amazing. Perfect 10!!!

Night, you are a lucky son of a gun...I have to wait for the PC port...i know there will be one, I just dont know when....
    Next week cannot get here soon enough, my friend.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    edited May 2008
    Recently got the COD4:MW Variety Map Pack which I think is a little overrated. You get 4 maps (I've only yet played 3 though) One is called chinatown and it is set at night-time with loads of buildings you can enter. It's a small map but OK for playing on, not the best of maps though. The there's Creek which is one of my bottom 5 maps in the whole game as it's HUGE, feels unfinished and is a haven for snipers (Which I am not). Finally there's Broadcast which is once again very big but very fun this time round for any type of game. It's like the Charlie Don't Surf mission but a little different but most things are recogniseable. So that's my thought's anyway.

I am trading in:
    COD3
    Halo 3
    Stranglehold

Because as much as I love them and don't want to see them go, I just don't play them anymore (Still, more money for 'GTA IV' :) )
    207qoznfl4.gif
    GTA IV. :D :x {[]
    edited May 2008
    As expected, the negative reactions to the extreme gameplay in GTAIV are already starting to come in.

MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) have criticized one mission in the game where you're supposed to drive someone home while badly drunk and have called on Rockstar to pull the game (yeah, like that'll happen).

There's also a poll over at CNN about whether violence in games like GTA leads to violence in society; last time I checked about 65% of the respondents had answered yes.

Personally, I've never bought into the argument that bad behavior in videogames leads to bad behavior in the real world. If a person has a predisposition towards violence, all games do is highlight what's already there, and not foster it in otherwise normal people. Still, games like GTAIV just paint a big red target right on the videogames industry.

On a related note, there are widespread reports that the game is freezing up on lots of PS3 consoles and even the occasional 360.
    You do some awful stuff in GTA IV it is true. But believe it or not I crash more regularly than when drunk because I slow down when drunk. Ha! But it is REALLY hard to walk when drunk without falling over.

But it is a game. Like a movie. That's how I feel.

Anyway I love the game. Amazing. The characters are written so well. I wish I had more time to play. Damn SATs getting in the way.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
    Today I went in:
    Blockbusters
    Currys
    Game
    Gamestation
    Tesco
    WHSmith
    Woolworths

and guess what?

THEY WERE ALL OUT OF STOCK!!!!!!!!

I would've gone to Argos and Gamesave too if they were open. Fortuanetly Woolworths are getting some more in tommorow though. Just thought I'd let you know.
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    On ebay there are sellers charging £100+. Managed to get a copy for £40. Should arrive tomorrow. :D
    I'm glad I preordered. Would've sucked not to have this game, although my productivity would be boosted.
    Picked up Iron Man for the 360 today and got thru the first three levels. The first level is the escape from Afghanistan, the second level has Stark testing and then going into combat in an armor that is somewhere between the Mk I and Mk II. The third level is the one from the demo. In between levels you are treated to some pretty average cinemas that advance the story, which is loosely based on the movie but also expanded. The actual actors provide the voices but the CG characterizations are pretty coarse.

It hasn't been too hard to get thru the main objectives so far, but getting all the optional challenges can be pretty difficult.

Normally, I wouldn't pay $60 for a game like this, but I had some store credit and am a confessed Iron Man fan, so I considered it as much a collectable as a game.
    Keep me updated - want to know if it is a worthy buy.
    YYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that :(

But guess what....

Keep Guessing...

I GOT GTA IV 2DAYS AGO AND I'M LOVING IT :D :D :D
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I got bored already. I'm back to Fifa.
    I think it's fantastic, I'm doing the missions at the moment and have played on it 5 or 6 hours. The good thing about it is deciding which path you take eg. who you work for, girlfriends
    207qoznfl4.gif
    Keep me updated - want to know if it is a worthy buy.

Played another level of the main game and a couple of the One Man Army challenges (which let you unlock the other armors).

The game is loosely based on the movie but adds in additional scenarios and villains from the comics. The between level cinemas are pretty flat and forgettable.

The gameplay is pretty much the same from level to level: fly to a zone, take out all the targets with orange markers on your HUD, go to the next zone and repeat. Eventually, a boss will come out and you take him out the same way: target and drop your weapons while dodging fire.

No matter how many weapons you destroy, certain objects like copters and planes respawn constantly so you have to dodge those and concentrate on the main objectives.

Each level has optional objectives that you must fulfill to unlock additional features of your armor. Doing them all in one pass is impossible. In other words, if you try to beat a level in under 10 minutes you won't be able to destroy 100 targets. This requires you to replay levels to selectively achieve every objective.

The One Man Army Levels simply drop you in one of the battlefields and task you with destroying a certain number of targets in a set time limit.

As you complete each level, you earn funds with which to upgrade your armor. You won't be able to get every upgrade on the first playthru but you can keep your upgrades from one game to the next (in the same way that you can keep your experience between playthrus in Mass Effect).

The gameplay is fun but it does get repetitive from level to level. The way you take out enemies is the same from level to level. Basically, you've learned all the moves the game has after the first level.

As to reviews, IGN gave it a 3.8, basically saying that everything sucked. TeamXbox gave it a 7.0, saying that the complex controls and repetitive gameplay drag it down.

Based on what I've seen so far, I tend to agree with the TeamXbox review: it isn't terrible but it also isn't worth $60. Unless you're a real Iron Man fanboy, I'd wait for the price to drop to $30-$40 before thinking about making a purchase.
    GTA will keep me busy, but I'll eventually get Iron Man.

Tony, you should think about GTA. You can run around obeying traffic laws or something if you don't want to be evil.

Tony, you should think about GTA. You can run around obeying traffic laws or something if you don't want to be evil.

:)) :)) Tell you what, if I buy GTAIV, I'll just pretend that every person crossing the street is Aunt May. That way, when I run them over, I won't feel guilty.

There's a dedicated videogame board I go to from time to time; one of the moderators there is a policeman. He's also a big GTA fan; in fact, he says the game is really popular with cops - gives them a chance to see how the other side lives or something.

I'm sure I'll try it out eventually; but it may be a while since I still have lots of other games that I haven't even gotten to yet.
    :D

I played a couple of more levels tonight. The more I play this, the more I'm enjoying it. After the fourth level, you can buy an upgrade to your armor that allows you, among other things, to absorb the energy of attacks you receive, thereby making you more resistant to damage. The sixth level takes place over, around and inside a gigantic flying fortress that will crash into a city if you don't achieve specific objectives in a set amount of time.

Unlike many games, that throw their best stuff at you at the start, this one seems to get stronger the further you go. Hopefully that trend will continue as I still have another 5 or 6 levels to go.
    edited May 2008
    I got thru Level 8 of Iron Man last night; it takes place around a nuclear reactor in Russia and involves an encounter with the Crimson Dynamo.

Once again, the game surprised me by forcing me to change my strategy to achieve victory. Instead of using fast-firing weapons, which had worked fine until this point, I had to switch to more powerful but slower weapons to take out the main objectives before time ran out. The battle with the Crimson Dynamo was also affected by whether I achieved the secondary objectives within the set time limits; if I failed, there was a nuclear blast which made him stronger and much more difficult to take out (it also kicked up a snowstorm which made everything more difficult to see; by preventing the nuclear meltdown I took away his main energy source and took him out much more quickly.

Most of the reviews really missed the boat on this game. The gameplay, and the upgrades to the armors that are unlocked, continue to get better the further into it I get.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    TonyDP wrote:
    Most of the reviews really missed the boat on this game. The gameplay, and the upgrades to the armors that are unlocked, continue to get better the further into it I get.

I'm glad to hear someone say this! I'm hoping to pick the game up someday, but the the less than stellar reviews have been giving me second thoughts.
    darenhat wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

I'm glad to hear someone say this! I'm hoping to pick the game up someday, but the the less than stellar reviews have been giving me second thoughts.

I really think a lot of the negative reviews center around the controls, which do take a little while to sink in because there are so many abilities at your disposal. Also, the game came out the same week as Grand Theft Auto IV. Because of those two factors, I just don't think most reviewers gave it a fair chance. But people who've bought the game and spent some time with it seem to be enjoying themselves (I know I am).
    Finished GTA 4 today. Man that last level was tough. I must have tried it ten times!

This game was amazing. The choices you have to make have even more of an emotional impact than those in Mass Effect- and I made the wrong ones, I think. So I'm gonna go back to my last save and play and make different choices and try to get a more satisfying (happier) ending.
    I have to add, I'm feeling a little depressed because of the ending of the game. You'd think GTA was all about emotionless killing, but I can assure you, the consequences of your actions are painful. Amazing, the ability to be drawn in by the characters. Incredible.

On a side note, this is the first GTA I've ever gotten to the end of.