PS3 Puts Sony's Future on the Line

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Now thats one sexy picture of Jenny.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    There's a couple of interesting short articles on IMDB that have bearing to this thread:

Looks like somebody already found a clever way to circumvent Blu-Ray's and HD-DVD's copy protection measures.

Any, there appear to be some serious problems in the production of a key component of Sony's Blu-Ray DVD players that have caused delays in shipment of the players and could affect the release of the PS3.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-07-11/#2
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    But what would be the most irritating would be if the AVTAK game was PS3 exclusive...

Couldn't resist could you? :))
    Probably not...

Actually that owuld aggravate me too, cause I like buying all of the Bond games...

Sony is going down hill fast. You know you are in trouble when the JAPANESE Media starts to complain, cause they are the #1 buyers...
    edited July 2006
    0064 wrote:
    Sony is going down hill fast. You know you are in trouble when the JAPANESE Media starts to complain, cause they are the #1 buyers...

Yeah, they're definitely having some issues these days. Also, several websites (most notably DVDTalk) have been comparing the picture quality of Sony's Blu Ray vs. the less expensive HD-DVD and so far HD-DVD has come out on top. DVDTalk said the video quality of the first batch of Blu-Ray DVD's was comparable to "better than average standard DVD's" and as such not worth the high cost of entry. Ouch!

Target has pulled Sony's proprietary UMD movies (playable only on PSPS's) off the shelves and rumors are Wal-Mart is going to follow suit in a matter of days. Another proprietary Sony format bites the dust. Double Ouch!!

And Samsung's Blu-Ray DVD player (the only one currently on the market) actually has a glitch in the firmware whereby the picture actually looks better over analog component video as opposed to the all digital HDMI interface. This does not bode well for the early adopters of the player because once companies start implementing the image constraint token on their DVD's, only HDMI will output to true hi-def, leaving all these original owners out in the cold unless a firmware patch can be released. Triple Ouch!!!
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited July 2006
    I think the reason Sony's UMD movie line failed was simply because it was totally ridiculous. They made the PSP (priced at about $600, of course--it seems to be their trademark price, now) with DVD support if you download the movie to its hard drive. Yet due to CSS copy protection, it didn't support commercial DVDs. You had to buy the UMD movies specifically for the PSP. And from what I saw in the stores, they were the same price (if not more) than the DVDs themselves. Everyone who was moderately tech-savvy didn't see the point in buying a second copy of the same movie, just to watch it on a tiny screen...

What with how CSS is a very weak form of copy protection, I hear that it was very easy for many PSP owners to simply transfer standard, commercial DVDs directly to the PSP--thus making the UMD line useless to anyone with this knowledge.

And while we're on the subject of the PSP, here's a link to an article (on a Japanese website, no less; in English, of course) about how the "PSP White" ads were pulled:

http://www.crisscross.com/us/news/30618

And here's a picture of the ad itself:

http://blogs.reuters.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/dutch300.jpg

Yep, it seems the people at Sony just keep finding new and untried ways to bury themselves, don't they? 8-)
    edited July 2006
    I think the reason Sony's UMD movie line failed was simply because it was totally ridiculous. They made the PSP (priced at about $600, of course--it seems to be their trademark price, now) with DVD support if you download the movie to its hard drive. Yet due to CSS copy protection, it didn't support commercial DVDs. You had to buy the UMD movies specifically for the PSP. And from what I saw in the stores, they were the same price (if not more) than the DVDs themselves. Everyone who was moderately tech-savvy didn't see the point in buying a second copy of the same movie, just to watch it on a tiny screen...

What with how CSS is a very weak form of copy protection, I hear that it was very easy for many PSP owners to simply transfer standard, commercial DVDs directly to the PSP--thus making the UMD line useless to anyone with this knowledge.

I've spoken to a lot of people who have basically turned their PSP into a garage kit and download game and movie roms rather than buy anything. Can't say as I blame them either. Many UMD movies did cost more than their DVD counterparts, and lots of games debut at $40 or even $50, way too much for a portable game IMHO. If Sony plans to use the same strategy for the PS3, they're even more clueless than I give them credit for.
    And while we're on the subject of the PSP, here's a link to an article (on a Japanese website, no less; in English, of course) about how the "PSP White" ads were pulled:

Yep, it seems the people at Sony just keep finding new and untried ways to bury themselves, don't they? 8-)

I finally got a chance to see these ads. I doubt Sony knowingly intended any racist overtones when it OK'd the campaign. But still, it does again demonstrate just how clueless and out of touch with the world at large this company has become.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Who exactly was the IDIOT that ok'ed these ads? As if they aren't pushing the envelope enough with the potential price of the new console, Race has somehow factored itself into the fray. Like that subject isn't delicate enough already... 8-)

You're off to a great start, Sony...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Who exactly was the IDIOT that ok'ed these ads? As if they aren't pushing the envelope enough with the potential price of the new console, Race has somehow factored itself into the fray. Like that subject isn't delicate enough already... 8-)

I'm beginning to get this feeling like gamespot's April fool's joke might come true... :s
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    You mean EGM's april fools joke, don't you?
    No, I mean Gamespot's predicting (sarcastically) at the time that the Wii would be this yeaars best seller...
    Ah, I see. I never heard about that. EGM's april fools jokes seem to be more famous.
    edited July 2006
    Ah, I see. I never heard about that. EGM's april fools jokes seem to be more famous.

Do you have the link to that one??? I haven't seeen it...
    0064 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'm beginning to get this feeling like gamespot's April fool's joke might come true... :s

Not sure about that but this was in pretty poor taste.

Now if this were a catfight, where clothes were being torn off... :D

RogueAgent wrote:
    0064 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I'm a bit confused Rogue, was my comment in bad taste or the joke itself. If it was my comment, i will gladly edit it...
    edited July 2006
    0064 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    0064 wrote:

I'm a bit confused Rogue, was my comment in bad taste or the joke itself. If it was my comment, i will gladly edit it...

No, buddy not you; the Sony ads. You'd figure that posting images in that fashion would incite some form of resistance I'm sure.
    Seeing them tear clothes off of one another would've been more pleasing...for me at least. :))

• SPECTREagent-1SPECTREagent-1 Posts: 36MI6 Agent

:s Surely there's a daredevil running this campaign.
    Naaah. Lemme give you a brief glimpse into Sony....*cue grand music* "Gimme the gun I wanna play executive" *shoots self in foot* "My turn" *Shoots self in foot by putting gun in pocket* and so it goes on like that.

This whole company is beginning to make me worried. A company that turned out that good of profits on the PS2 is now beginning to crumble under its own weight...well, i'm getting a 360 unless the PS3 shoots out gold.
    Looks like Sony has delayed the release of the PS3 in Europe until March 2007 and slashed the number of consoles that will be available in America and Japan come November by 75%.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730814p1.html

I always thought that their supply numbers were hopelessly optimistic, especially given all the new technology in the box.

Also, I've read elsewhere, that Sony will not be including an HDMI cable with its deluxe PS3 package. So be prepared to tack on another $50-$100 to the asking price (bringing the real cost of the console to a whopping $650-$700 before taxes) if you want to have an all-digital connection. I wonder if they'll at least include some component cables with the units.
    I don't think they are even supposed to have component cables. What are they THINKING? I really hope it flops. Just to say, hey, Sony, just because you have the PS2 doesn't mean you can be an instant success. And hopefully they'll realize how awful they are and then they will make a really good PS3 that is almost as good as the Xbox 3000, which is the name I just created for the next Xbox.
    I was also reading an article that suggested the PS3 load times would probably be slower than the 360's because of the way data is encoded on a BluRay disc and how the laser moves across the surface of the disc.

In hindsight, Sony might have been better off just releasing the PS3 with a standard DVD drive. It would have already been in stores by now (thus negating MS's 1 year advantage) and they could have manufactured the unit more cost effectively (thus allowing them to better compete on price with MS). Of course if they did that, then they would not have been able to use the PS3 as a trojan horse to get BluRay into the homes (which I think was their real aim all along).

Still, I just can't see too many parents shelling out $600-$700 for this thing, not to mention the cost of the games.
  • 00Goldeneye00Goldeneye Posts: 32MI6 Agent
    What is it with having 2 different Models of THe PS3? Trying to be more like Microsoft? Jeez, Sony kicking it's self in the rear end. Good Thing, I stick with good old reliable N. The lot of you who are wanting a PS3 better hope that no more of the features of the PS3 are excluded from the final launch console, since Controller vibration and dual HDMI Display output are out of the picture.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    With their original shipment goal of two million knocked down to a total of five-hundred thousand over the course of a week, how does Sony expect to ship six million of these behemoths by March, when it's taken this long just to make what they have now?

I do have to say that I don't really see Sony crumbling any time soon, but the PS3 is looking more and more like a potential disaster every day... Only a quarter of their original shipment goal, no HDMI cables and not even controller vibration? (Even the PS1 had that...) All with a price that is ultimately $650 to $700.

They're even attempting to unleash Blu-ray with this thing. With Sony's track record on reliability and what we've heard about production difficulty, I think we all know what to expect... Wal-Mart, if you're reading this, I have a piece of advise for you: before Christmas, hire more checkers for the return counter... A lot more. ;)

Aside from that, anyone ready to play their brand-new, $700 toy upside-down? :))
    has there been any news about how much each PS3 game will cost? My prediction is $70. There is no WAY that the prices will be the same as 360 games, unless developers don't use the Blu Ray discs. Wait... did I just suggest that the Blu Ray might not be used for games? Kinda like Microsoft's HD-DVD add on? If that turned out to be correct, and only a handful of PS3 games came in Blu Ray discs at highly elevated prices... why would even Sony fanboys buy a PS3?
    And if they do use Blu Ray for every game, each game will be at LEAST $70 if not more.
    Wow. A lose lose situation. Sony, the more I think about, the more I want to punch Ken Kutaguri in the face for being such an egotistical idiot.
    edited September 2006
    There hasn't been a peep about PS3 game prices since that infamous "they won't cost more than $100" line. However, there have been two interesting developments:

Sony has confirmed that the "core" PS3 will now include an HDMI port in Japan; it remains to be seen if the US versions will follow suit but I'd be shocked if they released different versions of the hardware.

There's also a rumor going around that the PS3 version of Gran Tourismo will be released as a bare bones game (only one car and two tracks) and that everything else will need to be bought via microtransactions. Now, I don't believe even Sony would be that sleazy but I do think there is a grain of truth in this in that Sony will probably be more aggressive than MS in withholding features from games and trying to use the microtransactions to bring in more cash. They'll be losing big bucks on each PS3 sold and you can be sure they'll be looking at every avenue possible to make that money up.

The addition of HDMI to the core PS3 would be a welcome addition (and necessary for hi-def DVD playback). But the murky pricing strategy and rumored emphasis on microtransactions is still cause for serious concern.

As for belting Kutaragi, get in line; I'd love to wipe that smug grin off his face as well. Where's my carpetbeater?

EDIT: Looks like that "rumor" I mentioned above is true after all, at least in Japan. Check this out:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733728p1.html

GT's classic mode comes with NO CARS and NO TRACKS; they must ALL be downloaded at a as yet unannounced price. Absolutely incredible.
    Wow... that's just... wow.

Good for Sony if they decided to put an HDMI port in the low cost model. It makes bashing it just a little bit harder, as now you aren't forced to buy the expensive model.
  • RogermooreseyebrowsRogermooreseyebrows Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    No average UK family can afford one of these machines i'm afraid! just too much for a gaming machine. I can buy a car for the price of a PS3!

Once again Sony are outpricing themselves... plus a delayed release date in Europe I'm not sure it will do well enough!:s
    Well well well....lookie here...down in Japan...US to follow???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060922/tc_nm/sony_dc
    0064 wrote:
    Well well well....lookie here...down in Japan...US to follow???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060922/tc_nm/sony_dc

Now they will struggle to make a profit. These machines will be incredibly expensive to produce. Hence the original price.

I'm not sure where Sony are going with this.... I still bet they will charge Europe a hell of a lot, because they know daft people will pay it! :s
    You can tell the pressure and almost universally negative reactions to PS3's pricing are really starting to get to Sony. First they decide to add the HDMI port to their core system and now they cut the price in Japan. To announce a price drop after all the months of insisting that people would want to work harder to pay for their console to end all consoles, this is a real slap in their collective faces. One can only wonder where they will backpedal next. I also wonder if BluRay's failure to win over consumers so far was a factor.

Of course, the price cut won't really have much of an immediate impact on Sony's bottom line since there will only be 100,000 units for sale in Japan at launch. Now if they lower the price in America and Europe, then we can all be sure they're in a panic.

Hardware pricing aside however, Sony still hasn't said anything about how much the games are going to cost. And if they plan to apply their Gran Tourismo microtransaction strategy (ALL content must be downloaded and bought separately) to all their games, they are in even deeper deep doo-doo than they realize.
    TonyDP wrote:
    You can tell the pressure and almost universally negative reactions to PS3's pricing are really starting to get to Sony. First they decide to add the HDMI port to their core system and now they cut the price in Japan. To announce a price drop after all the months of insisting that people would want to work harder to pay for their console to end all consoles, this is a real slap in their collective faces. One can only wonder where they will backpedal next. I also wonder if BluRay's failure to win over consumers so far was a factor.

Of course, the price cut won't really have much of an immediate impact on Sony's bottom line since there will only be 100,000 units for sale in Japan at launch. Now if they lower the price in America and Europe, then we can all be sure they're in a panic.

Hardware pricing aside however, Sony still hasn't said anything about how much the games are going to cost. And if they plan to apply their Gran Tourismo microtransaction strategy (ALL content must be downloaded and bought separately) to all their games, they are in even deeper deep doo-doo than they realize.

By the looks of things it's a very very poorly planed console. I'm never over impressed with Sonys build quality at the end of the day either!

Sony will always have the fan base, but I think they are going to self destruct sooner rather than later..... even if they do lower the price of the conole, they will still do the Sony thing and charge more for add ons periphials and games.

At the moment it sounds more like a Nasa mainframe, rather than a games console :s:s it's going to baffle the older generation.... it's confusing me and i'm a 19 year old heavy computer user ?:)?:)?:)?:)?:)?:)?:)?:)

Still, I don't think a games machine would ever make me work harder, I would never spend that much on one console.... and I know for a fact that a large percentage of the UK simply don't have that money spare to throw at a games console with no games.

Good luck Sony, it's s**t or bust me thinks!