PS3 Puts Sony's Future on the Line

Comments

• 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    I wouldn't bet on that. The fact is is that that is what they would have to do, but since they dont have to compress the game they can get away with the normal version. The disc drive speed almost killed Sony. Yes, I know that the games are late, but im not arguing that the PS3 will "pass" the 360 in March, im merely saying that it will be just fine and sales will be much more stable. Plus, it looks like the PS3 exclusvie Lair will have a cult following and Motorstorm is shaping up nicely. I dont believe that the PS3 will be a better console, but I think that it will be a better value as there will be a nice selection of games.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    I think you misunderstood me. Oblivion's issues are not related to how much space it occupies on the BluRay disc; the system's memory architecture is constrained relative to the 360 so it can't support all the addons simultaneously while playing.

I'm sure the PS3 will have plenty of good software eventually; but it's still very slow in coming and most of their exclusive titles are still way off on the horizon. Today the emphasis is clearly on BluRay movies and this all reminds me a lot of the early days of the PSP - and it never recovered from its initial stumbles.

Also, most of the titles that have appeared on 360 and PS3 have shaken down to the PS3 having slightly better visuals (thanks primarily to its 1080p support) but also choppier gameplay with shakier framerates. Marvel: Ultimate alliance was a perfect example of this. It makes you wonder just how many 3rd party developers will be able to come to terms with the PS3's architecture. Obviously the 1st and 2nd party stuff will be strong, but the 3rd party stuff will probably be largely uniform between 360 and PS3.
  • 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    I think you misunderstood me. Oblivion's issues are not related to how much space it occupies on the BluRay disc; the system's memory architecture is constrained relative to the 360 so it can't support all the addons simultaneously while playing.

I'm sure the PS3 will have plenty of good software eventually; but it's still very slow in coming and most of their exclusive titles are still way off on the horizon. Today the emphasis is clearly on BluRay movies and this all reminds me a lot of the early days of the PSP - and it never recovered from its initial stumbles.

Also, most of the titles that have appeared on 360 and PS3 have shaken down to the PS3 having slightly better visuals (thanks primarily to its 1080p support) but also choppier gameplay with shakier framerates. Marvel: Ultimate alliance was a perfect example of this. It makes you wonder just how many 3rd party developers will be able to come to terms with the PS3's architecture. Obviously the 1st and 2nd party stuff will be strong, but the 3rd party stuff will probably be largely uniform between 360 and PS3.

Constrained...hardly...it has the equivalent of 10GB RAM while the 360 has 256mb...a number which has been switched in the last few weeks. Where ES4 was going to has trouble was the disc reader which is slow on the PS3.

As for the rest of the points, I agree, and I say that by the end of March, there will be a fair amount of good software for the PS3.
    That "10GB" of virtual memory has a lot of gotchas to it, not the least of which is the speed at which stuff can be swapped in and out; and the 360 has 512MB of RAM.

Still, now that my 360 is on the fritz and I have to get a new one, I may splurge and get a PS3 as well. :p
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Think i'll let someone else get it first, and see if it's worth it. then save for a couple of years to buy it.
    s96024 wrote:
    Think i'll let someone else get it first, and see if it's worth it. then save for a couple of years to buy it.

I was only giving 0064 a hard time since he always waffles on what console to buy. I very much doubt I'll be getting a PS3 any time soon as there is still very little exclusive software. I may give it another look when Sony's Formula 1 game debuts but probably not before then.
    If the F1 game is as boring as the sport in real life, I can't see it being a success. Nobody watches F1 past the first bend do they? ?:)
    s96024 wrote:
    If the F1 game is as boring as the sport in real life, I can't see it being a success. Nobody watches F1 past the first bend do they? ?:)

I'm something of a racing nut; so I can dig almost any form of motorsport. But I agree that watching F1 on TV is often dull because (a) the commentators are dry to the point of inducing a coma (b) the cameras never do a good job of making the viewer aware of where everyone is on the track and (c) the F1 cars have become so aerodynamically sensitive and the courses so sinuous that actual passing is reduced to a premium.

Now, playing the game on a good console can be a very different experience; I find maneuvering those cars around those twisty tracks in all kinds of weather conditions a lot of fun. Although I hate the endless tweaking that you sometimes have to go thru, all to shave a meager .10 seconds off your lap time.

If F1 puts you to sleep, try catching a NASCAR or IRL race, especially at one of the high speed ovals, if you are able to. The IRL can get especially intense.
    Yea I am not anti all motorsports. It probably isn't as bad playing on a console, and I like playing racing games. Not a game I would automatically put straight on my to buy list.
    I've read a few reviews of F1 for the PS3 - so far the results have been average at best with several reviews harping on the lack of polish and overall absence of a "gee whizz" factor to the visuals. The game also only runs at 720p, meaning that it doesn't support the highest hi-def resolutions (1080i and 1080p) and will actually downscale to 480p on TV's that don't support 720p (like my plasma for instance). Very disappointing considering Sony's grandiose claims about how powerful the console is supposed to be and how 720p isn't even true HD.

In other news, it looks like Warhawk development has hit several major obstacles and the game may now be released exclusively as a download - meaning a very likely drop in visual quality and game features.

Those were the two games I was most interested in and it looks like Sony has dropped the ball on both of them. Oh well, that's $600 I can apply towards something else. Sorry Sony.
    TonyDP wrote:
    The game also only runs at 720p, meaning that it doesn't support the highest hi-def resolutions (1080i and 1080p) and will actually downscale to 480p on TV's that don't support 720p (like my plasma for instance). Very disappointing considering Sony's grandiose claims about how powerful the console is supposed to be and how 720p isn't even true HD.

I thought 720p was actually better than 1080i. And the difference between 720p and 1080p was not greatly noticeable. I have been looking into buying a new LCD. You have to spend rather alot of money for a screen which supports 1080p anyway.

Ps3 is on pre-order now. Think the new TV is going to be furthur up my list of things to buy.
    edited February 2007
    s96024 wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    The game also only runs at 720p, meaning that it doesn't support the highest hi-def resolutions (1080i and 1080p) and will actually downscale to 480p on TV's that don't support 720p (like my plasma for instance). Very disappointing considering Sony's grandiose claims about how powerful the console is supposed to be and how 720p isn't even true HD.

I thought 720p was actually better than 1080i. And the difference between 720p and 1080p was not greatly noticeable. I have been looking into buying a new LCD. You have to spend rather alot of money for a screen which supports 1080p anyway.

Ps3 is on pre-order now. Think the new TV is going to be furthur up my list of things to buy.

Actually, Sony was the one sho said 720p and 1080i weren't "real HD" as part of their propaganda to try and one up the 360. 720p and 1080i are very close to one another. 1080i is a higer resolution (1920x1080) but is interlaced so is slightly more susceptible to flicker. 720 is is a lower res (1280x720) but is progressive so it should yield a smoother picture. The picture quality is very close and preference is a subjective thing but to my eyes 1080i yields a sharper picture.

1080p is the best of both worlds but it is only really noticable on larger sets (over 42"). Prices are coming down though. Samsung makes a very nice 46 inch 1080p LCD that sells for $2700 in US dollars; it was selling almost $3500 just a few months ago. Prices will continue to come down and going forward, I'd personally opt for a 1080p set to get the most detail out of my games and hi-def movies.

Here's what you should be aware of though: the PS3 has issues with playing games on TV's that don't natively support 720p. Since the PS3 doesn't have a scaler like the 360, if a particular game was coded with a max resolution of 720p and your TV doesn't natively display that resolution, the PS3 will downscale the game to 480p rather than upscale it to 1080i. Several games including Resistance: Fall of Man exhibit this behavior and to the best of my knowledge Sony still hasn't put out a firmware update to correct this issue. Many CRT TV's and older plasmas don't natively display at 720p; so, when you buy your TV, make sure it natively supports 720p to get the most bang out of the PS3.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Oh damn, the PS3 is getting an exclusive Spiderman 3 collectors edition with an exclusive playable character.

Thanks for nothing, Activision.
    Well, Ihave only got £500 to spend. So will have to settle for 37".
    Tony, you said the 360 has a scaler- does that mean that is can upscale DVDs?
    edited February 2007
    Tony, you said the 360 has a scaler- does that mean that is can upscale DVDs?

Yes, but there's a catch (isn't there always?). It can only upscale standard def DVD's when the VGA cable is used. This is not a limitation of the 360, but rather a requirement of the DVD standard which only allows upscaling over a digital connection. Since component cables are analog, upscaling over them would violate the standard and put MS in line for some major fines.

So, if you plug your 360 to a TV or other device that has a VGA input you can upscale to whatever resolution the 360 is set to (all the way up to 1080p assuming the TV supports it). And of course, if MS releases a 360 with HDMI that'll be able to upscale as well.
    Ah, ok, thanks for that, Tony. I'll have to see if my TV accepts VGA.
    Oh god, Sony. You hate Europe so much, don't you?

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6166437/index.html?tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Basically, Sony not only delayed the PS3 in Europe and added over $200 USD to the price, but now it is shipping with worse tech so that a "limited" amount of PS2 and PS1 games will be BC. :))

"I don't think Ive shot myself in the foot enough times..."
    edited February 2007
    Oh god, Sony. You hate Europe so much, don't you?

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6166437/index.html?tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Basically, Sony not only delayed the PS3 in Europe and added over $200 USD to the price, but now it is shipping with worse tech so that a "limited" amount of PS2 and PS1 games will be BC. :))

"I don't think Ive shot myself in the foot enough times..."

They really do keep finding ways to alienate their customers, don't they. As I've said elsewhere, I'm a technophile and I love shiny electronic toys. All it would take for me to jump on the PS3 bandwagon is a handful of good games that I can't play anywhere else. Sadly, Sony can't even do that right now - nearly every high profile game they have comes with some gotcha; either the framerate is choppy, or the graphics are jaggy, or it doesn't support 1080i resolution (a must for me given that my plasma can't natively display 720p). For all their hype they have precious little quality software and I don't see that drought ending anytime soon.
    This is just priceless. Jack Tretton of Sony tries to rationalize how the stacks of unsold PS3's sitting on store shelves is actually a good thing.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/768/768824p1.html

In other news, Sony has confirmed that Warhawk will now be a download only game; no retail version and - get this - no single player campaign mode. Only online multiplayer combat. So much for all their E3 rhetoric about this game. Losers.
    This just gets more and more amusing.
    edited March 2007
    This just gets more and more amusing.

Sony's done some underhanded stuff but this one really made me angry. Turning Warhawk into a dumbed down online only game with no single player campaign was the last straw. I was really curious about that game and was seriously considering getting a PS3 because of it. That was supposed to be one of their system selling, top shelf, A-List games for 2007 and they gave it a lot of press at E3. For them to pull the rug out like that tells me that the PS3 is a real pain to program and that it isn't the killer system they'd like us to believe it is.
    Haha, it took you all this time to realize this? :D
    Haha, it took you all this time to realize this? :D

I knew it all along but I'm a tech junkie and when I get bored I find ways to lose money. Just consider this last little incident with Warhawk my intervention. Now I need to find another shiny toy to distract me. Maybe a new cell phone...

As for the PoS3, now we just have to figure out a way to save 0064's soul...
    We'll try, anyway. Poor, misguided, 0064.
    Uh oh. This... this is kind of cool. Although until they develop a pricing structure, as you have to buy your virtual furniture and clothes for your virtual home and avatar, I'll be a bit skeptic. Pointless, but this is a cool idea. Msoft... can you copy this but make it infinitely better?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/07/playstation-home-revealed/
    Uh oh. This... this is kind of cool. Although until they develop a pricing structure, as you have to buy your virtual furniture and clothes for your virtual home and avatar, I'll be a bit skeptic. Pointless, but this is a cool idea. Msoft... can you copy this but make it infinitely better?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/07/playstation-home-revealed/

Interesting idea but it's hardly new. I remember playing Phantasy Star Online for the Sega Dreamcast 10 years ago and they had something very similar: large areas for people to hang out in, chat (via keyboard) and assemble parties to play online. The new Phantasy Star Online also includes "virtual apartments" to stash your stuff in.

Also, while the interface is nice, there are still no games for this console. I buy a console to play games, everything else is secondary to me.

Boy, I'm really anti-Sony today. :v
    Haha, I like the idea of a gigantic web world outside of games. It reminds me of an online MMO called There. It would be cool if there were cars and planes and stuff. Msoft, please make something similar. I love MMOs.
    edited March 2007
    I have played DVD's both through component and vga. I can't really tell the difference. The only advantage I got through VGA was there was banding on the component side. Although on VGA it seems to do stupid picture sizes. Really wide black borders down the sides. To be honest I got really annoyed and just don't bother with it anymore. Another thing it's not that great at playing my dvd's it jams and there is no way round that small part. Will buy a decent scart for my dvd player and think I will just have to use that.

£500+ for a console is ridiculous. How rich do they think british people are.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    I'm not so much technophobic as techno-incompetent.

Can anyone answer a couple of simple questions about the PS3 for me: will the DVD player be recordable this time round? Is there any more news about the future possibility of downloading movies and TV shows onto PS3?

And what the hell is Blu-Ray anyway?