PS3 Puts Sony's Future on the Line

Comments

• The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/733/733728p1.html

GT's classic mode comes with NO CARS and NO TRACKS; they must ALL be downloaded at a as yet unannounced price. Absolutely incredible.

:O

You've got to be kidding me... Now they're going to charge you for the content, in addition to the game? What happened to the good old days when you could go buy a console for $200 and get a game (a complete game...) for $70 at the most? Now we have consoles that are $600+ and incomplete games that are "under $100," not including the microtransactions.

What's next, a $100 assembly charge that you either pay or receive the system in pieces? Of course if you were to decide that your soldering skills were about to come in handy, you'd have to download some sort of anti-piracy unlocking software (which would no doubt, be another microtransaction)...

Buying a game without content... Ridiculous. I'll buy a new laptop long before I buy one of these.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Now they're going to charge you for the content, in addition to the game? What happened to the good old days when you could go buy a console for $200 and get a game (a complete game...) for $70 at the most? Now we have consoles that are $600+ and incomplete games that are "under $100," not including the microtransactions.

It does set a disturbing precedent. And Sony aren't the only ones. I've read that EA has already gone this route for some of the extras in their NFL Football franchise. Certain stadiums and classic team jerseys can only be obtained as separate purchases ... after shelling out $60 for the base game. I don't mind spending for additional features when the base game gives you a rich experience and you want more (Oblivion is a great example) but what Sony and EA are doing amounts to gouging the consumer. The best thing to do is not buy their product and hit them where it hurts: their bottom line.
    What's next, a $100 assembly charge that you either pay or receive the system in pieces? Of course if you were to decide that your soldering skills were about to come in handy, you'd have to download some sort of anti-piracy unlocking software (which would no doubt, be another microtransaction)...

Here's one you'll love: Circuity City was recently charging people to "install backward compatibility" on their 360's. Now getting BC up and running is automatic; assuming you have Xbox Live, all you do is pop in a supported Xbox game and the 360 does everything automatically - there is literally no work involved. That didn't stop Circuit City from trying to pull the wool over gullible people who weren't tech saavy.
    Buying a game without content... Ridiculous. I'll buy a new laptop long before I buy one of these.

You're one of the smart ones. Of course, some EBGames and Gamestop outlets started taking preorders for their limited quantities of PS3's yesterday and, amazingly, some people actually camped out to reserve their units. So clearly, there is demand for this console, even at Sony's pricepoints.

As for me, the only PS3 game I was really interested in trying out was Warhawk; that game has since been delayed and won't be appearing on the console until summer 2007 at the earliest. None of the launch titles interest me in the slightest; most games will be available on the 360 and the exclusives really don't stand out in any way. As such, I have no current interest in a PS3 whatsoever; I'll look into it again next spring.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    I don't mind spending for additional features when the base game gives you a rich experience and you want more (Oblivion is a great example) but what Sony and EA are doing amounts to gouging the consumer. The best thing to do is not buy their product and hit them where it hurts: their bottom line.

Most definitely. There is absolutely no need for this kind of thing. They can't even use the disc space argument because they're going Blu-ray! If I remember right, double-layer Blu-ray discs are supposed to have 50GB capacity, and that's just single-sided. Not to mention, all the Final Fantasy games in the last ten years, plus many other games have all been multiple disc sets (FF9 had four discs!).

On top of that, this whole system is asking for trouble. What's going to happen if your flash memory card goes out, or even worse, your entire PS3? You'll have a game with no content again, forced to buy all those "extras" all over again. Would Sony be gracious enough to let people back up their stuff somehow? I think not...
    Here's one you'll love: Circuity City was recently charging people to "install backward compatibility" on their 360's. Now getting BC up and running is automatic; assuming you have Xbox Live, all you do is pop in a supported Xbox game and the 360 does everything automatically - there is literally no work involved. That didn't stop Circuit City from trying to pull the wool over gullible people who weren't tech saavy.

That doesn't surprise me. Although perhaps it was to enable BC for people who didn't have Xbox Live? Of course, if you've got an Xbox, you're more than likely to have Xbox Live... 8-)
    You're one of the smart ones. Of course, some EBGames and Gamestop outlets started taking preorders for their limited quantities of PS3's yesterday and, amazingly, some people actually camped out to reserve their units. So clearly, there is demand for this console, even at Sony's pricepoints.

The Sony fanatics who would willingly fork over their house for a PS3 are showing themselves... This is only serving to show that there are people who will accept blatant price gouging and it only encourages other companies to follow suit. Unfortunately, this is only going to hurt the consumer in the long run, IMO.

A laptop comes out to be a far better deal. Put a little bit extra into your PS3 stash and you'll have enough to get a laptop with all the PS3's capabilities (save Blu-ray), plus extremely versatile media support (videos and such), mobile Web surfing, mobile gaming, even homework capabilities. Not to mention when someone makes an emulator, you could get a Blu-ray drive and well... :v

I see more garage kits on the horizon... :D
    Looks like Sony has sunk to new levels of sleaze in their latest PS3 ads. They put up a comparison chart for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. It claims that in order to play games on the 360, you MUST buy a hard drive, HD-DVD addon, wireless controller and Xbox Live subscription, bringing the total cost of the console up to $700. This is of course an out and out lie; if all you want to do is play games, all you need is a core system and a memory card.

Sony also conveniently forgot to mention that their PS3 does not come with component or HDMI cables, which are required for hi-def gaming as well.

Microsoft is now considering legal action. Here's a link:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Looks like Sony has sunk to new levels of sleaze in their latest PS3 ads. They put up a comparison chart for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. It claims that in order to play games on the 360, you MUST buy a hard drive, HD-DVD addon, wireless controller and Xbox Live subscription, bringing the total cost of the console up to $700. This is of course an out and out lie; if all you want to do is play games, all you need is a core system and a memory card.

Sony also conveniently forgot to mention that their PS3 does not come with component or HDMI cables, which are required for hi-def gaming as well.

Microsoft is now considering legal action. Here's a link:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

Thanks, Tony. There isn't an appropiate smiley for the article... 8-)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised Sony didn't say you had to buy 2 and a third XBOX 360s to match the performance of PS3, since one 360 has 3 processors and the PS3 has 7.

Oh, Sony. How truthful you are. Yuck. The fact that fanboys still love them is appalling.
    edited November 2006
    Okay...I've seen the new PS3 commercial this morning- can I say...weird?

A little too cerebral perhaps for me to get it but it freaks me out regardless.

One of my art students today said that his parents would purchase one for him under one condition: Don't expect another gift from them over the next 3 years.

My son knows not to even utter asking for one; its price tag is just too ridiculous.

• 00640064 Somewhere out west...Posts: 1,083MI6 Agent
    .....I might get once for Christmas, but I have to pay for it and I think I will have enough money as I have been saving for quite sometime. However, there are various other things I want like the new iPod shuffle and Bully. But, PS3 is #1 on the list still...
    0064 wrote:
    .....I might get once for Christmas, but I have to pay for it and I think I will have enough money as I have been saving for quite sometime. However, there are various other things I want like the new iPod shuffle and Bully. But, PS3 is #1 on the list still...

I wish you well, 0064. After I get my 360 shortly hereafter, my son may have to get re-acquainted with the ol' Gamecube for another year.

edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    0064 wrote:

I wish you well, 0064. After I get my 360 shortly hereafter, my son may have to get re-acquainted with the ol' Gamecube for another year.

Thank You Rogue. I don't feel as bad buying a PS3 if my parents aren't funding it. As for your son...i sure hope you buy two controllers otherwise he might have to steal yours... :D

The main reason im buying a PS3 is for Mercs 2 and suprisingly, Motorstorm. I don't know what it is about that game that really makes me want to buy it... :#
    edited November 2006
    0064 wrote:

Poor deluded soul. :p

Seriously though, if you like what you see then go for it. Just be aware that given Sony's production woes, you may find it a little difficult scoring one for the holidays unless you plan to do some serious camping. The initial shipment is for only 400,000 and after that all bets are off when the next shipment will be available.

Personally, I don't see much in the launch lineup that really interests me. Most games will also be available for the 360 and the exclusives don't look all that special, other than possibly Resistance: Fall of Man; and even that looks a lot like Call of Duty with aliens. Motorstorm looks good too although I don't think that's a launch title. Warhawk continues to be the main game that really catches my fancy. As that won't be coming out until summer 2007 I'll probably wait a while.
    RogueAgent wrote:

It's about time. :) But what happened to the Wii? Did your son change his mind?
    TonyDP wrote:
    0064 wrote:

Poor deluded soul. :p

Seriously though, if you like what you see then go for it. Just be aware that given Sony's production woes, you may find it a little difficult scoring one for the holidays unless you plan to do some serious camping. The initial shipment is for only 400,000 and after that all bets are off when the next shipment will be available.

Personally, I don't see much in the launch lineup that really interests me. Most games will also be available for the 360 and the exclusives don't look all that special, other than possibly Resistance: Fall of Man; and even that looks a lot like Call of Duty with aliens. Warhawk continues to be the main game that really catches my fancy. As that won't be coming out until summer 2007 I'll probably wait a while.

Oh, im not getting mine in the first wave...Christmas at the earliest, probably more like April...I learned from the....shoot, whats that system...oh yeah the Xbox 360's release... :p
    Y'know, 0064...when I was your age, $700+ meant I'm buying a car or putting the funds towards that. I take that that's an antiquated aspiration nowadays?

Chicks dig the car- or do young men score with Mario Bros,. now?

Actually Mate, I uh, have a car...99 explorer Eddie Bauer Edition...its pretty beat up but so my dad got a new car for himself. I had to fix it up a bit (that was the deal), and it was tough work, but it runs fine and is clean.

And yeah, the chicks dig the car...
    edited November 2006
    0064 wrote:
    Actually Mate, I uh, have a car...99 explorer Eddie Bauer Edition...its pretty beat up...

A '99 and beat up? That's not that old. You don't mean from multi-dents do you?

Is your dad Mannix? ?:)

You mean under the hood, right? Not cosmetically.

edited November 2006
    Well, let me explain it a bit Rogue. My dad drove the car alt. We live 100 miles south of San Francisco and about 30 from Monterey. He's a Construction Manager so he does jobs all over the place. The car had about 212000 miles on it when he bought himself new hybrid to save gas. The explorer ran alright, but alot of things needed fixing. I learned all about the car as I did some painting, bought new parts (and sometimes installed them) and then finally cleaned it (a pain when there is 3 in. of mud behind the tires.) I also have to pay for gas and I drive my bro to school and soccer practice, so there was a small incentive for my parents handing down this car...my mom never drives anywhere.
    {[]

Im really lucky. I guess thats why im not asking for anything for christmas... :)
  • xman25xman25 Houston, TexasPosts: 80MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    I doubt I'll ever buy a Playstation 3. I think I've only played a game on a Playstation console five times sice the first one came out in 1995. Four of those times were at a store playing a demo. I don't think Sony has had any exclusive games on its systems that I just had to play. The GTA games that were exclusive on the PS2 eventually made their way to the XBOX and they were improved over the original versions. I have an XBOX 360 right now and I'll get a Wii, probably the first half of next year. With those two, I figure I'll be set. The PS3 is just too expensive for me. The Wii is going to cost $250, which is nice, but there aren't enough interesting titles at launch to get me to buy one at launch. There might be some games that only come out on the PS3, but exclusive contracts don't always last, so those games could wind up on the 360. Anyway, I've survived 11 years without a Playstation console, I'm sure I can survive not having a PS3.

xman25
    Here's an interesting little article on entrepreneur Nolan Bushnell's opinion of Sony and the PS3. Looks like there won't be any PS3 kiosks at Chuck E. Cheese. :p

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/744/744893p1.html
  • Lyle Dark-008Lyle Dark-008 Posts: 64MI6 Agent
    Thus far, Sony has never let me down. ..... I'm getting a PS3.... but I need to save up for it first. :)
    Resistance Fall of Man got a great review from IGN. That being said, I watched a video of Wii Sports on Engadget, and it looks like it could be a helluva lot of fun. Everybody should head on over to engadget and check out the video.
    edited November 2006
    Looks like Microsoft isn't the only company who has issues with backwards compatibility on their latest console:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745439p1.html

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745506p1.html

I love Sony's comment that some people can put up with playing games without sound. Yeah, right. :s
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Sony's lack of concern for their customers never ceases to amaze me.
    Sony's lack of concern for their customers never ceases to amaze me.

Here's a little article on the Japanese launch that I found particularly interesting. It's a little long, but well worth it as it casts a whole new light on just who was buying these units on day one.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/foreigners-and-fights-ps3-jpn-launchs-dark-side-214130.php
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Nice article Tony, the hardware launches are a joke. But, it generates good publicity.
    Nice article Tony, the hardware launches are a joke. But, it generates good publicity.

You hit the nail on the head; its all about publicity. 80,000 units is a statistically insignificant number and if that article is anything to go by the software attach rates for the rollout are practically non-existent. Sony isn't making any money at all with this puny rollout, but the video feeds of massive amounts of people standing in will be priceless in the long run.
    Is Ken Kutaguri the biggest scumbag or what? He made all of those comments about how Msoft doesn't care about its customers because they didn't offer full BC, but look at this.

Sony, I don't want to hate you, I own many of your products, and now you own Bond, but I just can't help but despise your gaming section.
    edited November 2006
    The gotchas for the PS3 just keep on coming. It has now come to light that if your TV does not accept a 720p signal, the PS3 will downconvert the game to 480p instead of upconverting it. So, anybody who buys a PS3 and has an older high-def TV may actually wind up playing his games at a standard def resolution. Nice. By way of comparison, the Xbox 360 was able to scale any game (regardless of its native res) to any resolution (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) from Day 1. Have a read:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

Also, another site is strongly suggesting that there will only by 150k-200k PS3's available rather than the previously announced 400k. If this is true, things may get ugly on Friday.

http://xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20061115035918.html

This rollout is really shaping up to be a turd. I think I'll start calling it the PoS3 instead.
    Is Ken Kutaguri the biggest scumbag or what?

I can one up you Night....check out Kaz Hirai...that guys is hilarious...

And the Sony exec's are idiots...