worst bond film of alltime tmwtgg or avtak ?

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    harryseeds wrote:
    Be afraid... be VERY afraid.

Okay, first of all in my opinion of course TMWTGG is the worse than AVTAK but I don't consider it the worst of all time (that honor goes to LTK).

However, AVTAK has many elements that make it way better than TMWTGG and that element isn't just Jenny Flex (though it's certainly a big part of it). I'll take you through an extensive walkthrough of AVTAK just to prove that AVTAK is way better (and I mean WAY better than TMWTGG).

Dun dun DUNN, dun dun DUUUN, da-da da-da-da, the gunbarrel rolls on and our Bond of the 70s and 80s, Roger Moore walks in to shoot the bad guy!

The gunbarrel fades to Arctic Russia where we find Bond skiing across the tundra to find the body of his fallen comrade, 003 who had stolen a microchip from a secret microchip research center. However, the Russian army doesn't want this microchip to fall into the wrong hands and they've rounded up a sizeable chunk of men to stop Bond dead in his tracks, literally.

Bond finds the chip but the Russian soldier finds Bond and a memorable chase ensues all over the Russian tundra leaving Bond relying on his own wits rather than any gadgets. First, he uses his bungee cord to take a Russian off of the snowmobile which he commandeers but the helicopter takes it down. Now, he must figure out what to do again and he snowboards down the hills on it.

By the way, AVTAK sparked the interest in snowboarding for having one of the first moments in movies so whoever likes snowboarding, thank AVTAK.

This aside, he comes down the mountains to "California Girls" perhaps eluding to Stacey Sutton in the later half of the movie. Bond is cornered by the chopper again and he gets out his emergency flare to destroy the helicopter, where it crashes and explodes into smithereens.

A new creative attempt in an incognito sort of transport is a submarine disguised as an iceberg (well done, Q!) piloted by the stunning Miss World Mary Stavin, (aka Kimberley Jones). Bond emerges inside and seduces her while it drives off toward Alaska in only five days.

Duran Duran's theme tune kicks in, with a slew of silhouetted naked women dancing around in an 80s type background which really works with the song. (Though I think they could've synched it up better with the music, but oh well) as it ends we find ourselves outside MI6 HQ with a parade taking place outside the establishment. Enter Bond with his normal banter with Moneypenny (played by last-timer Lois Maxwell) which is cut short by a worried M (Robert Brown) as Bond is rushed into the briefing room. Roger Moore has another one liner.

"A new pet Q?" Referring to the SNOOPER Surveillance Machine. They explain how the microchip (which contradicts GoldenEye's plot, but hey, through the whole Dalton debacle I think people would've forgotten this small tidbit) Bond brought back from Siberia is identical to the one England's private defense contractors, Zorin Industries are one in the same. To get a heads up on Zorin, they head off to the Ascot Races.

"COME ON FLUKE! MOVE YOUR ACH!" Moneypenny cries after we see the beautiful lawns of the Ascot racetrack come into view. We cut to Bond and M talking about Zorin and May Day, basic things about them, Zorin is from Dresden and fled from there in the 60s and he made his first millions in oil and gas trading. Now he's the second (to Silicon Valley) in electronics and high tech. May Day is a mysterious one though, with sketchy details about her. It turns out Zorin's horse, Pegasus wins the race but goes absolutely crazy after Zorin is presented with the trophy and May Day calms him down. "Steady Pegasus, steady!"

"She must take a lot of vitamins!"
    "Perhaps Pegasus does too!"

Tibbett (played by Patrick Macnee aka John Steed) has a friend in a private detective agency named Aubergine (Jean Rougerie) who is going to investigate the sale at Zorin's stud farm at Chantilly. M asks Tibbet to set up an appointment with this man in the Eiffel Tower in which they will meet following day.

Coming Soon: Part II: Paris and Chantilly

JFF I MEAN THIS IN THE MOST SINCERE WAY GET HELP NOW PLEASE FOR YOU OWN WELL BEING. AVTAK SUCKS WHY DO YOU MEMORIZE IT CALIFORN GIRLS WAS LAME.
    MOORE WAS JUST FLAT OUT OLD
    DURAN DURAN SINGS THE SONG OUT OF KEY AND JUST PLAIN SUCKS
    AND JENNY FLEX/ WELL YA SHE WAS HOT BUT NOT THAT HOT. MUST REVIZE AVTAK IS WORSE THAN TMWTGG AND LTK IS 10 TIMES BETTER THAN AVTAK. AVTAK IS BOND AT ITS WORST
    OLD
    UNINSPIRED
    REDUNDANT
    AND JUST PLAIN TIRED
    AND YES I WILL SAY WORST
    NOT LEAST FAVORABLE
    SO BRING ON YOU REBUTTLE JFF

Okay, look buddy, if you want to look at how I defended AVTAK a long time ago, it was not as sophisticated or as intelligent as the rebuttal I have presented here. I was as nice as I possibly could have been as I used to be an angry AVTAK defender which got on the nerves of a lot of people.

I must say, I find the statement to "go get help" offensive as it's not in a joking tone at all. I've been asked to "get help" from other members (i.e. RogueAgent) but between me and him and some others it's all in good fun but you seriously make it out to be like I've some sort of mental disorder because of my love for AVTAK which isn't true.

Since you obviously have a problem with long posts, I have a problem with your capital lettering as that makes you out to be yelling at me and why do you have to? Have I caused you any grief besides my opinions? Apparently I have, but I don't think I deserved the yelling and don't be mean to Dan either as we are LTK/Dalton-hating brethren.

By the way, Jenny Flex is that hot and I don't care what you say.

Oops, I made another long post! Sorry about that.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    JFF is going to like this:

AVTAK is not the worst film in the franchise; that honor clearly goes to Moonraker. Just horrible.

But comparing the two in this particular thread? Clearly AVTAK stinks... Funny thing though I still play the theme song regularly after 20 years. It's just good.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    It's definitely the best theme song for Bond ever!
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    It's definitely the best theme song for Bond ever!

I enjoy the theme song a lot. It's not my favorite (I prefer TLD and GE to it), but it's still very good, in my book. It's definitely catchy, that's for sure.
  • Blofeld_cccpBlofeld_cccp Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    this is kind of a confession for me, i watched dad the other day and i kinda liked it. yeah it's way over the top and halle is annoying, but i get the feeling that there's a good movie wanting to get out. my least favorite movie is mr. it just bothers me.
  • ZachZach Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    Neither AVTAK or TMWTGG come close to being the last for me. I rank AVTAK in my top 5, if not my top 3. I love it. I think Christopher Walken is one of the best villains in the series, I love the locations, and I would even say that Stacey Sutton is an ok Bond girl.

I used to like TMWTGG as much as AVTAK, but my opinion of it has gone down in recent months. I can take all the humor, and I actually like Pepper. The thing that makes me mad is Bond himself. In LALD, and especially TMWTGG, Roger Moore is a complete snob. For example, he makes Goodnight sit in the closet and listen to them have sex for two hours. When she gets mad, he makes it up to her by saying "You're turn will come, I promise." Roger Moore just has a cockiness about him throughout his first two movies that is hard for me to overlook. Luckily, by the time that TSWLM came around, he fixed it. Overall though, its a great Bond film imo.

My least favorite movie awards go to YOLT, and DAF. Most of the time in the Bond series, a single character doesnt bother me that much. Aki is the exception. She is so damn annoying, it almost ruins the movie. After Aki, the movie really isnt even enjoyable. The movie gets extremely slow at times and is hard to watch all the way through.

I used to really like DAF, and I still do to an extent, but its not the same anymore. Some of the lines are horrible, especially Lana Wood's, and she is completely embarassing. The Bambi and Thumper scene is just weird and, Charles Gray was a poor choice for a villain that was never that interesting to begin with.
    I was never bothered by Aki but by the time Bond goes to ninja school (or after the death of Helga Brandt) the movie just slows to a snail's pace. And it already wasn't so great to begin with.

The thing about YOLT that annoyed me more was Kissy, who was more annoying than Aki, who I wish wasn't the main Bond girl at all!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    Zach wrote:
    The thing that makes me mad is Bond himself. In LALD, and especially TMWTGG, Roger Moore is a complete snob. For example, he makes Goodnight sit in the closet and listen to them have sex for two hours. When she gets mad, he makes it up to her by saying "You're turn will come, I promise." Roger Moore just has a cockiness about him throughout his first two movies that is hard for me to overlook
    I have to say that I loved this scene. Bond's sleeping with Andrea while Goodnight was in the closet is one of my favourite things about TMWTGG and the Bond series in general. The reason being that it demonstrates Bond's (sexual) ruthlessness and arrogance, a key Bondian trait IMO . I agree with you that Bond was cocky in this scene (and perhaps a bit of a snob) but IMO that's a good thing. I have always felt that Bond did have a bit of arrogance/cockiness about him and this scene demonstrated that IMO.
    Zach wrote:
    The Bambi and Thumper scene is just weird
    I loved this scene. Two beautiful women demonstrating some acrobatics; What's not to like? :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited September 2006
    I agree that YOLT is a very flawed thing but IMO it has one major thing going for it; Sean Connery. Yes, I acknowledge that he was bored and it clearly wasn't his best performance, but IMO a lesser performance by Connery is still better than the best performances of most other actors. Truthfiully YOLT is my least favourite 60's Connery film, but Connery himself, Helga Brandt, some of the action scenes including the ending and the Japanese locations make YOLT a classic IMO.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,743MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Zach wrote:
    The thing that makes me mad is Bond himself. In LALD, and especially TMWTGG, Roger Moore is a complete snob. For example, he makes Goodnight sit in the closet and listen to them have sex for two hours. When she gets mad, he makes it up to her by saying "You're turn will come, I promise." Roger Moore just has a cockiness about him throughout his first two movies that is hard for me to overlook
    I have to say that I loved this scene. Bond's sleeping with Andrea while Goodnight was in the closet is one of my favourite things about TMWTGG and the Bond series in general. The reason being that it demonstrates Bond's (sexual) ruthlessness and arrogance, a key Bondian trait IMO . I agree with you that Bond was cocky in this scene (and perhaps a bit of a snob) but IMO that's a good thing. I have always felt that Bond did have a bit of arrogance/cockiness about him and this scene demonstrated that IMO.

Absolutely! It's funny because he'd such a git and yet, somehow, we love him!

I find it hard to write off any Bond film: Moonraker is great; View to a Kill has it's bad moments (Fire truck chase) but is a very entertaining way to spend a couple of hours; DAD has a great first half; Golden Gun is equally just as much fun. The worst thing a Bond film can ever be is boring and I think only Live and Let Die and at a push, Octopussy have ever done that.
    emtiem wrote:
    The worst thing a Bond film can ever be is boring and I think only Live and Let Die and at a push, Octopussy have ever done that.
    I have always thought that the boat chase in LALD was far too long.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    The worst thing a Bond film can ever be is boring and I think only Live and Let Die and at a push, Octopussy have ever done that.
    I have always thought that the boat chase in LALD was far too long.

Wow. I found Octopussy to be rather entertaining. It's clearly in my top 5 for enjoyability. A little silly in places but still...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Zach wrote:

A bit of justified arrogance and swagger can have it's appeal and it usually does with Bond. In the TMWTGG he goes over the line to where he's just a puffed up self important ass and a complete pig where the women were concerned. And thus for some of us it's not so much love as great dislike. Watching the world's #1 prissy pig with it's #1 airhead pathetic bimbo is not my idea of 2 hours of fun. Oh have I said before how much I loathe TMWTGG? :D

MBE
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,309MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    Zach wrote:

Same and I have discussed this before, for me its a low point in the series, as it makes Bond's conquest seem unromantic and perfunctorary, like those of OHMSS when he's up in Piz Gloria... and his 'seduction' of Jinx.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited September 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Wow. I found Octopussy to be rather entertaining. It's clearly in my top 5 for enjoyability. A little silly in places but still...
    Don't get me wrong. I love both LALD and OP. I just find myself reaching for the fast-forward button during the boat chase in LALD.;)
    edited September 2006
    MBE_ wrote:
    A bit of justified arrogance and swagger can have it's appeal and it usually does with Bond. In the TMWTGG he goes over the line to where he's just a puffed up self important ass and a complete pig where the women were concerned. And thus for some of us it's not so much love as great dislike. Watching the world's #1 prissy pig with it's #1 airhead pathetic bimbo is not my idea of 2 hours of fun.
    I guess you don't like the film then. ;) I disagree, as I found it to be a brilliant example of Bond's ruthlessness and self-indulgance, but I can certainly understand why others might disagree.
    MBE_ wrote:
    Oh have I said before how much I loathe TMWTGG? :D
    Really? :o I never would have guessed. :D
    edited September 2006
    Same and I have discussed this before, for me its a low point in the series, as it makes Bond's conquest seem unromantic and perfunctorary, like those of OHMSS when he's up in Piz Gloria... and his 'seduction' of Jinx.
    NP, you and I disagree on the worth of the sex scene in AVTAK, which is fine, but please don't mention the scenes with Jinx in the same breath as OHMSS and AVTAK. :D
    MBE_ wrote:
    A bit of justified arrogance and swagger can have it's appeal and it usually does with Bond. In the TMWTGG he goes over the line to where he's just a puffed up self important ass and a complete pig where the women were concerned. And thus for some of us it's not so much love as great dislike.

Have you ever thought that perhaps you're not supposed to like Bond? He's a bit of an anti-hero at times. Like here- he proves that just like his gadgets, his exterior image of being a gentleman hides the fact that he's really not one at all.

I love watching that scene because Bond is such a tremendous git. Outstanding caddishness; much like enjoying a Terry-Thomas film!
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Don't get me wrong. I love both LALD and OP. I just find myself reaching for the fast-forward button during the boat chase in LALD.;)

Me too- I'm a Bond fan so it's impossible for me to loathe any of them. I like Octopussy a great deal, but it sort of flatlines a little in the middle; it's a bit bland until all the climaxes.
  • MBE_MBE_ USAPosts: 266MI6 Agent
    edited September 2006
    emtiem wrote:
    MBE_ wrote:
    A bit of justified arrogance and swagger can have it's appeal and it usually does with Bond. In the TMWTGG he goes over the line to where he's just a puffed up self important ass and a complete pig where the women were concerned. And thus for some of us it's not so much love as great dislike.

Have you ever thought that perhaps you're not supposed to like Bond? He's a bit of an anti-hero at times. Like here- he proves that just like his gadgets, his exterior image of being a gentleman hides the fact that he's really not one at all.

I love watching that scene because Bond is such a tremendous git. Outstanding caddishness; much like enjoying a Terry-Thomas film!

There's a difference in being a bit of an anti-hero and being a complete self important boorish pig. And it's more than one scene, it's the entire film from his treatment of Andrea to shoving the kid out of the boat (though that made me laugh). He's just unpleasantly odious all the way through. I don't find him in the slightest witty, amusing or sexy. Though the last is almost impossible with Moore for me usually - here he's being such a pig he actually becomes the negative of sexy - repulsive. For all his puffed up self importance he has to be rescued by shoolgirls. He's a self important unsexy pig and a prissy wuss who really only gets tough smacking around a woman. All his other "fights" are comical in nature for a good reason. That's not even good material for a rootable villain. For that he'd need to be more outrageously ruthless, funny and/or sexy.

If Bond was what he is in TMWTGG in all his films then no I wouldn't be a Bond fan. If TMWTGG was the first Bond film I saw I probably wouldn't have bothered to watch a second one.

MBE
  • elliot_omgelliot_omg Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Welcome to ajb, elliot omg!

There are plenty here who loathe DAD, you're in good company here! :D

The film where he gets married in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) with George Lazenby...

wow thanks! :D :D :D
    elliot_omg wrote:
    Welcome to ajb, elliot omg!

There are plenty here who loathe DAD, you're in good company here! :D

The film where he gets married in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) with George Lazenby...
    And if I understood correctly, you're an AVTAK fan too so you're in good company as well (with me leastways...)

wow thanks! :D :D :D
    edited September 2006
    MBE_ wrote:
    He's a self important unsexy pig and a prissy wuss who really only gets tough smacking around a woman.
    Bond hurts Tracey in OHMSS, hits Tiffany and threatens to strangle a woman with her bikini in DAF, seduces Pussy in GF in a way that would be inappropiate today, is less than friendly towards Rosie in LALD, has his way with numerous women and during the Connery era often got physical with women, even if it meant merely patting a woman's bottom. Bond also suggested (half-seriously perhaps) that he wouldn't be bothered if Natalya were to be killed in GE. How is all this different to TMWTGG?
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Yes I agree that TMWTGG ranks among the worst. Not the very worst, perhaps, but it gives LALD and DAD a run for their money.

AVTAK is in my humble opinion better, though still not my favourite Bond by a long shot.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
    Fish1941 wrote:
    But I cannot make up my mind on which is the worst "official" Bond movie - DR. NO or GOLDFINGER.
    Even if you don't love them, how can you honestly consider GF and DN to be the worst Bond films of all time?
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I had just watched both movies, recently. And I can.
    Alright, then why is GF so terrible?
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I had just watched both movies, recently. And I can.
    Alright, then why is GF so terrible?

Its a great enjoyable movie, but its just so fake, it has great elements, some of the best. It has the same things as Thunderball in terms of story quality, but it feels cheap, even though GF has the best villians and set the mark for following bonds etc its quality doesnt match the other bonds (i mean cinematography etc) especially its predcessors like FRWL. Simple things like the Gas, bonds grappel rope in the PTS, Goldfingers demise and the plane etc.

Thunderball has the same things too like the projection in the boat at the end, the dubbing, the transitions from scenes etc. even though this is one of the most amazing films so it doesnt make too much of a difference.

TMWTGG has poor story and AVTAK has a James Bond thats too old, which makes it hard to watch. I would say that Diamonds is one of the poorest, its supposed to be a spy thriller not a comedy.

Please dont attack me for my opinion, i love both of these movies {[]
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Wow this topic has gotten ALOT of posts in a short time.

Anyway, I think AVTAK is weaker than TMWTGG. That said, they were both weaker films of the series and the different elements in them make it hard to tell which one is weaker. For example, Id say that Moore give a better perfomrnace in AVTAK despite not being in that good a physical shape. Id also say that the action sequences are better - such as the Siberian chase, Paris, Golden Gate bridge. On the other hand, TMWTGG is more exotic (come on, Phucket compared to Frisco!) Id also say that Andera Anders is my favourite girl from either movie. Sadly both movies have weaker leading ladies.

As for the villians, Scaramanga wins. Christopher Walken is an amazing actor who im usually impressed with. He just didnt get much to work with. Poor Carver got a similar deal.

As for Moonraker...it isnt in the same league as FRWL, TLD or LTK for seriousness (thats for sure) but it perhaps you should watch it for what it is, a nice distraction for an hour or two. And DAD - it was a very well made first half, I just wish people would remember it for that.

Also, JFF - I really hated LTK when i first saw it at your age. When I had grown a bit more I appreciated it alot more.
    edited November 2006
    taity wrote:
    And DAD - it was a very well made first half, I just wish people would remember it for that.
    My problem is that I don't think it had a good first half.
    taity wrote:
    Also, JFF - I really hated LTK when i first saw it at your age. When I had grown a bit more I appreciated it alot more.
    You do realise that JFF is not the only person who hates LTK. :p :D As Shannon Noll's song goes 'What about me?!'
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    You do realise that JFF is not the only person who hates LTK. :p :D As Shannon Noll's song goes 'What about me?!'

Why you miserable litlle ****.

Is it really fair to degrade this topic to talking about Shannon Noll? Geez.

As for LTK, I said JFF because he seems to hate it so much. I did too when I was around his age, but as I grew up I did actually appreciate it alot more.

As for DAD - I'll maintain that it did have a good first half, with realistic locations (Cuba looked very real) and I think it had a Fleming style to it. Additionally, the movies full of strong supporting characters who also dont outlive their welcome - Mr Chang has a very nice little role only to disappear from the script within 10 mins. Roaul also creates a lasting impression yet doesnt outlive his welcome. Also the return to London I thought was very good. First with Bond casually reading about the villian in a gossip like magazine. Then the way that Bonds watching Graves after his arrivial at Buck Palace - I thought that was a very good idea and very well done by the director.