worst bond film of alltime tmwtgg or avtak ?

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Thunderball is good, but its too false, too long and gets a bit boring.

Some of the scenes are poorly done like the villian and domino.

I do enjoy it and its one of my favourite Connerys but its tedious.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    thats true, but some of us didnt grow up with the connerys, and it doesnt matter too much if they are bad,

i feel ashamed at DAD though, because i was there.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    Thunderball is good, but its too false, too long and gets a bit boring.

Some of the scenes are poorly done like the villian and domino.

I do enjoy it and its one of my favourite Connerys but its tedious.
    I don't agree at all. I consider Largo to be among the best villains in the entire series. His eye patch, the sharks; I think he's awesome. As for Domino, I consider Claudine Auger to be absolutely gorgeous. I do agree that it is a bit too long, although I don't think it's boring, but I disagree that it's false. I think it's brilliantly filmed and, considering its subject matter, quite realistic.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    yes i agree with you dan but the movie is inconsistent, the whole boat at the end is just so false and compares with how false GF was. Largo is a fantastic villian that i love but his scene with Domino at the end is poorly written and acted.

The movie feels semi rushed.

"Better make that two."
    edited November 2006
    yes i agree with you dan but the movie is inconsistent, the whole boat at the end is just so false and compares with how false GF was. Largo is a fantastic villian that i love but his scene with Domino at the end is poorly written and acted.

The movie feels semi rushed.
    I will concede that the Fort Knox scenes (save for the fight with Oddjob) were a little false. I don't think it took away from the film in any way, but I will acknowledge that. As for TB, the boat scene may be relatively false in comparison to other films (although a great part of it was IMO completely realistic), but I too don't think it takes away from the film. It could be argued that no Bond film is perfect. Therefore the question becomes; can one overlook the (minor or major) flaws and still love the film? In the case of TB (and GF) I certainly can.

BTW, which scene with Largo and Domino are you referring to? Because if you're referring to when she killed him, then I don't think it was badly written or acted.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    It could be argued that no Bond film is perfect. Therefore the question becomes; can one overlook the (minor or major) flaws and still love the film? In the case of TB (and GF) I certainly can.

Indeed, no Bond film is perfect. And yes, you can overlook the (minor or major) flaws and still love a film. It's human nature to be more forgiving of those films that you favour, especially if they feature your favourite actor. It's also human nature to be less forgiving of those films that you don't favour, especially if they do not feature your favourite actor.
    Yes, i still love those films very much, but they contribute to why they are not my favourites.

And the scene im talking about is when domino is tied up on the bed and largo is talking to her. I dont like that scene, it seems out of character.

"Better make that two."
  • licencetokilllicencetokill Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    i only read the first few pages of replys, but it looks like there is alot of negativity surrounding LTK (i shall read all the posts in due course), personally its one of my favourites, just because of Daltons attitute, i personally believe that he acts like Bond would had Flemming wrote him in this role...my sole opinion, my least favourite is of course DAD, from the dire soundtrack to the Jinx character...it was bad, a real shame seeing as it was to be Brosnans final film! although i still watch it from time to time, because it is a no brainer action flick! apart from that, i would have to say next on the least favoute list would be AVTAK, dont get me wrong i love this film and Roger Moore, but as far as LEAST favourite goes...it would be this in second...or second from last, whichever way you look at it :p
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    i only read the first few pages of replys, but it looks like there is alot of negativity surrounding LTK (i shall read all the posts in due course), personally its one of my favourites, just because of Daltons attitute, i personally believe that he acts like Bond would had Flemming wrote him in this role...my sole opinion, my least favourite is of course DAD, from the dire soundtrack to the Jinx character...it was bad, a real shame seeing as it was to be Brosnans final film! although i still watch it from time to time, because it is a no brainer action flick! apart from that, i would have to say next on the least favoute list would be AVTAK, dont get me wrong i love this film and Roger Moore, but as far as LEAST favourite goes...it would be this in second...or second from last, whichever way you look at it :p

Well it's good that you love Roger Moore AND AVTAK, I'm very happy. However, the negative reaction toward LTK is primarily me and Dan. We mean no harm however, and you're entitled to your opinions.
  • licencetokilllicencetokill Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    of corse man, the world would be a terrible place if no one had oppinions these days haha!, its good to see a forum that seems like an actual community!
  • cdsdsscdsdss JakartaPosts: 144MI6 Agent
    +1 on the negativity toward LTK. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I don't begrudge anyone theirs. For me, though, LTK is one of the rare Bond movies that just gets worse every time I see it.
    LTK is one of my favourites :D

"Better make that two."
    LTK is one of my favourites :D

I know it is I looked. I'll never find the perfect co-conspirator member... I haven't met one person that loves AVTAK and hates LTK. Many AVTAK-lovers seem to also like LTK which disheartens me. Oh well, they'll be here one day!
  • EaglemanEagleman Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    I love all the Bond films but without doubt my least favourite is Moonraker. It is nothing but a comedy. Dr Goodhead? Roger Moore at his most slap-stick. Fight in space, Jaws becoming a good guy? Just not Bond at all. Even Never Say Never Again is better than this. :007)
  • eyespyaninvasioneyespyaninvasion Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Eagleman wrote:
    I love all the Bond films but without doubt my least favourite is Moonraker. It is nothing but a comedy. Dr Goodhead? Roger Moore at his most slap-stick. Fight in space, Jaws becoming a good guy? Just not Bond at all. Even Never Say Never Again is better than this. :007)

How dare you say that about Moonraker it was the inspiration for orwells 2001 a space odessey
    How dare you say that about Moonraker it was the inspiration for orwells 2001 a space odessey
    Firstly, 2001 was directed by Stanley Kubrick and based on stories by Arthur C. Clarke, and secondly, the cinematic version of MR was released after 2001, so there is no connection between the two. ;)
  • eyespyaninvasioneyespyaninvasion Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Firstly, 2001 was directed by Stanley Kubrick and based on stories by Arthur C. Clarke, and secondly, the cinematic version of MR was released after 2001, so there is no connection between the two. ;)

You are soo correct
    Just testing thought you might have been on a wind up or something like that
  • InfernoInferno Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I loved View to a Kill and LTK. And well, most movies that other people say they don't like.

As for me, my vote is Die Another Day without hesitation.

I don't like any of the Brosnans, which is especially unfortunate because I loved Brosnan as Bond.
  • markdownmarkdown Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    leaving out nsna and the spoof cr my worst "official" bond film would have be twine.closely followed by dad, two duds in a row that,s why mr brosnan just had to go
    For me its TND and DAD, they are the ones i like the least

"Better make that two."
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    I would say the worst bond film is YOLT (even though I think connery is great) I just think this film doesn't work. The attempt at making Connery look Japanese is laughable.

I would also have to say LK, DAD, DAF and MR are also pretty poor attempts at a bond film (IMHO of course)
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    [quote=JennyFlexFan We mean no harm however.[/quote]

Suuuuurree.

LTK used to be one of my most hated, however as I gre up I realised that it was a pretty good movie, and I also appreciated the harder edge to it. Sadly, the first section was too much like all the American cop shows of the 80s. Additionally, being set in Florida made the whole thing take on a Maimi Vice vibe.
    We? Who's we? No harm done taity, it's your opinion and maybe I will appreciate it some day. Some week. Some year. Some century...
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    oh, i so wish we hadn't just started a new century.
  • Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    Ultimately, the question of the "worst" Bond film is as subjective as what the "best" Bond film is. Certainly, there are some Bond films like Dr.No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, GoldenEye, and The World Is Not Enough that odds are will hardly ever be seen as dead last. Just as there are some Bond movies that we see in this thread are more than likely to be bottom feeders than the rest. It really comes down to individual taste.

Nevertheless, I just can't help but think of Diamonds Are Forever, The Man With The Golden Gun, and A View To A Kill as bad movies. Surely, I could live without watching You Only Live Twice, Live And Let Die, Moonraker, and Octopussy, but those films do have a somewhat enjoyable and thought out story with moments of excitement, tension, and class. The 'trio' of shame I mentioned at the beginning of the paragraph has none of that. They lack a good story, a good Bond character, interesting villians/girls, and adhere so much to the formula they offer nothing new or distinctive to it.

I realize in a series spanning 4 decades of film making, and now 21 official entries, its inevitable some tastes will be preferable and others won't, some films will be classics and others genuine turkeys. And its for that reason I give those three films a minor pass, but they truly wouldn't hold their own if not attached to the James Bond series.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,306MI6 Agent
    Well there must be some criteria by which a film can come out first or second.

Now, DAF has top class wit and a terrific lounge score (the song voted second only to GF in a recent poll) so if that's your thing, DAF is a fine film. So, if you took Golden Gun and gave it an equally good theme song and score, plus more witty one liners rather than the one or two it boasts, then that would nudge it up a bit.

AVTAK has a good theme song, not bad Barry soundtrack, a larger than life villain and henchperson plus big scale ending so imo it's a nudge above rank.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2006
    I think that the three worst Bond films (not only as Bond films but also as films in general) were DAD, TLD and AVTAK.

DAD is IMO one of the worst films ever made. A horrible script, bad performances (aside from Brosnan), the CGI was disasterous and the film was shockingly directed. I think that while the second half was a tragedy, the first half was a travesty. It was arguably the third worst Bond film of all time.

I think that TLD was the most boring Bond film of all. Although TND was quite uninteresting at times, IMO it also had a couple of moments of brilliance. There is really no scene in TLD which I would sit down specifically to watch. Additionally, I hate the central peformance, I think that the screenplay (while not as bad as DAD) was less entertaining than a phonebook, and I would have given John Glenn a hundred Razzies for his dreadful work. I know that alot of peole love this film, but I honestly think it is an embarrassment of a Bond film. I think it was the second worst Bond film of all time.

Then there's AVTAK. Arguably, the worst Bond film of all time, it has the worst in everything (Bond girl, song, script, direction) and to make matters worse ripped off GF (arguably the greatest Bond film of all time.) Additionally, AVTAK is the only Bond film in which I think Roger Moore was completely miscast.
  • Pierce Brosnan335Pierce Brosnan335 Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    This wan't a choice but, probably On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The movie was so boring.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Well I watched TMWTTGG and Moonraker the other day to see if my opinion changed. It hasn't. I will say, the first half or so of TMWTTGG is actually fairly decent, with an excellent Moore performance and not so many jokes, but from the Kung Fu scenes onwards, this is mostly completely embarassing.

Moonraker is a film which is swamped by the pyrotechnics. I couldn't really think of any performance that stood out as they all seemed to be second best to the scale of the film. The superb fight between Bond and Chang aside, there's not much that's very good about this, imo.

I'm going to watch AVTAK again today too. Whenever I watch this however, though it is undoubtedly flawed, I don't ever think it's especially awful and am quite entertained. It's never even going to approach my favourite, but it's not on the bottom rung either.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,306MI6 Agent
    Funny thing about Golden Gun, he goes to Beirut but you never actually see him there, it's represented by a dancer's dressing room and that's it! Might as well be from an episode of The Saint.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017