The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    RogueAgent wrote:
    This part had Patrick Warburton's name written all over it...too bad it's 10-12 years too late.

Funny you should mention that, Rogue. This site has a fan-made wallpaper with Patrick Warbuton as Captain Marvel (using, I think, Tom Tyler's costume from the old serial). Doesn't look bad, though it's hard not to associate Warbuton with The Tick!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I'm back. . .and after watching Scrubs this evening, I think I hit on the perfect Captain Marvel. The Tood himself, Robert Maschio:

[img=http://www.zach-braff.com/images/scubsimages/thetodd4.jpg]He's got the look, he's got the eyebrows, he's probably the funniest character on the show, and, heck, he's even got guns:[/img]And I said I wasn't a casting agent?  What do I know, anyway?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I've always contended that Lois & Clark's Dean Cain--with his boyish features,bright smile and slicked-back black hair-- looked much more like Captain Marvel than he ever did as Superman(specially the Adam Hughes version of "The Big Red Cheese" appearing in DC's Justice League titles of the 1980s).

And I think Cain still looks like Cap today--even in his early 40s.He's aged very gracefully and stayed in top condition as his appearances on the Las Vegas TV series have shown.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Here's some news that may interest you.

For the full article

Dispute over Spider-Man ownership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6464095.stm

An internet publishing firm is taking legal action against comic book company Marvel, claiming part-ownership of superheroes such as Spider-Man.

Associated Press reported the case was filed in New York last week by Stan Lee Media, a company originally co-founded by Spider-Man creator Stan Lee.

Now under new ownership, the firm claims Lee signed away rights to his famous comic book creation in 1998.

Marvel deemed the legal action "without merit", while Lee called it "baseless".
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Here's some news that may interest you.

For the full article

Dispute over Spider-Man ownership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6464095.stm

An internet publishing firm is taking legal action against comic book company Marvel, claiming part-ownership of superheroes such as Spider-Man.

Associated Press reported the case was filed in New York last week by Stan Lee Media, a company originally co-founded by Spider-Man creator Stan Lee.

Now under new ownership, the firm claims Lee signed away rights to his famous comic book creation in 1998.

Marvel deemed the legal action "without merit", while Lee called it "baseless".

Thanks for posting, MNL.

My bias automatically sides with Lee for obvious reasons but I you never know with these kinds of things; I do know that Marvel has a history of trying to screw creators out of ownerships and gratuities.

Why do I get the feeling that the contract in question all comes down to "semantics"? ?:)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I'm back. . .and after watching Scrubs this evening, I think I hit on the perfect Captain Marvel. The Tood himself, Robert Maschio:

He's got the look, he's got the eyebrowsAnd I said I wasn't a casting agent?  What do I know, anyway?

Now that's a Captain Marvel face, H.B. The rest of him is meh...

You may yet be an Ari Gold one day. :D

edited March 2007
    At least for me, this is the look I want conveyed to film if at all possible. Outside of the pic HB posted, there has got to be some buffed Fred MacMurrays out there...

ShazamAlexRossPoster_BIG.jpg

This poster also hangs in my studio alongside TonyDP's idol Aquaman. :D

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,286MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    This poster also hangs in my studio alongside TonyDP's idol Aquaman. :D

Nice poster of the Big Red Cheese. Ross version is my favorite; I even have a statue based on it.

But not even Alex Ross can overcome the lameness that is Aquaman. This is going to hurt you more than it does me Rogue. Here's "my idol" in action (make sure to maximize the windows to see the waterboy in all his glory) ...

http://dumbbaby.net/a/129.shtml

http://dumbbaby.net/a/132.shtml

EDIT: I just noticed Atlantis played a really small part in Infinite Crisis - just a one measly panel. The Spectre crushes it with one hand and after that, buh bye Aquaman. Loser. :p
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Now that's a Captain Marvel face, H.B. The rest of him is meh...

I dunno, Rogue--you might want to check out Maschio doing his 300 bit in the video that opens his own website: http://thetoddtime.com/

How many different ways can a guy say "Yeah?"
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I remember buying a few issues of the Marvel versus DC crossover in the mid-nineties and one of the match-ups featured Captain Marvel agaisnt The Mighty Thor. As I recall Thor won by dropping a fairground ride on him or something.
    TonyDP wrote:
    But not even Alex Ross can overcome the lameness that is Aquaman. This is going to hurt you more than it does me Rogue. Here's "my idol" in action (make sure to maximize the windows to see the waterboy in all his glory) ...

http://dumbbaby.net/a/129.shtml

http://dumbbaby.net/a/132.shtml

EDIT: I just noticed Atlantis played a really small part in Infinite Crisis - just a one measly panel. The Spectre crushes it with one hand and after that, buh bye Aquaman. Loser. :p

:)) :)) :)) Classic!

Hardyboy wrote:
    I dunno, Rogue--you might want to check out Maschio doing his 300 bit in the video that opens his own website: http://thetoddtime.com/

How many different ways can a guy say "Yeah?"

Okay...that was a little..."unsettling". :s

But I guess you've proved your point :)). Isn't he a trifle too old for it now though? His birthdate is listed as 1966 -wait...sorry...we just had a gereatric Ghost Rider. 8-)

RogueAgent wrote:
    Isn't he a trifle too old for it now though? His birthdate is listed as 1966 -wait...sorry...we just had a gereatric Ghost Rider. 8-)

I resent that--I too was born in 1966! Actually, I was surprised to see Maschio is 40, since he actually looks younger. Ah, well, it's just speculating anyway. I'm sure the producers of the Shazam! movie will go ahead and cast Jake Gyllenhaaaaalllll or Adam Sandler or Bernie Mac or whoever they think is hot as opposed to someone who looks like Captain Marvel.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited March 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Isn't he a trifle too old for it now though? His birthdate is listed as 1966 -wait...sorry...we just had a gereatric Ghost Rider. 8-)

I resent that--I too was born in 1966!

Well, H.B. I have you by a year, give or take a few months but the fact still remains that we're both relatively too ancient to be running around in tights. Young enough for Bond - too old for capes. No need to take offense to that. :))
    Actually, I was surprised to see Maschio is 40, since he actually looks younger. Ah, well, it's just speculating anyway. I'm sure the producers of the Shazam! movie will go ahead and cast Jake Gyllenhaaaaalllll or Adam Sandler or Bernie Mac or whoever they think is hot as opposed to someone who looks like Captain Marvel.

I agree that he looks younger than his age and all but I'm sure that whoever they pick will make us question what were they thinking. Just don't let Singer anywhere near this puppy. 8-)

edited March 2007
    According to IGN Columbia Pictures has optioned The Green Hornet in an attempt to bring it to the screen. The Hornet has has several aborted starts in its long and troubled road to celluloid. George Clooney was attached to the part at one time and Kevin Smith was supposed to direct a big budget version before getting cold feet. We'll have to see if Columbia has any better luck.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/774/774239p1.html

Also, screenwriter John August has shot down the rumors of Jake Gyllenhall appearing as Captain Marvel...for now. According to August, there have been no casting talks at all and all efforts are currently focused on getting a script. I really think the whole Gyllenhall thing sprouted out of the rumors of his replacing Tobey Maguire if there is a Spiderman IV.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/773/773699p1.html
    edited March 2007
    I always thought that Clooney looked like a Britt Reid more than he ever was Batman. Highly doubt that he would be interested though but you never know.

As long as Kato is properly cast, Hornet is secondary. Hardly anyone ever cared to tune in to the show because of Van Williams anyway wielding that stupid-looking gun...it was Kato who was the main event...well at least for me he was. ;)

The GH show just didn't have the legs to stay in the race with that decade's dynamic duo.

cast-1.jpg

edited March 2007
    Well...the three Marvel cheerleaders that work with me here have decided to pick on me once again for loving DC so much. The new debate is:

SUPERMAN vs. SENTRY

artpic-1523-01-full.jpg

The DC Comics character Superman possesses extraordinary powers which render him, as stated in the lead-in to the 1950s Adventures of Superman television series, "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound". His superhuman powers were relatively limited in the early stories, but grew to become near-godlike by the 1980s. After John Byrne's 1986 rewrite, Superman's powers were diminished, though have grown again since then, possessing enough strength to lift and hurl mountains. Wielding "powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men," he is typically considered to be one of the physically strongest comic book heroes in the DC Universe.

artpic-1523-02-full.jpg

The Sentry's powers derive from a serum that moves his molecules an instant ahead of the current timeline, although he also absorbs solar radiation for strength. Though most of his powers and their limits are unknown, he displays several abilities similar to those of DC's Superman, including super-strength, super-speed, invulnerability, flight and enhanced senses. According to the Sentry, while in New York City, he can "hear a butterfly's heartbeat in Africa," though this could be hyperbole. He can project energy fields and control light, and he has vast mental powers used primarily for holding his physical form together. Additionally, he was able to implant his memories inside another person's mind. He is also shown twice (Sentry #8 and New Avengers #20) throwing enemies into the sun. He also emits a radiation that pacifies the Hulk.

My co-workers argument stems from the fact-or so I've heard, that Superman's powers were taken down a peg or two from the Identity Crisis arc (which I never read) and that the current Sentry is limitless in what he can do.

I don't know much about the character but I do know that he's schitzo and a supposed rip-off of the Man Of Steel. Heck, I know that he's a rip-off because that's all Marvel does with the exception of Spider-Man & Fantastic Four.

They think that I'm finally beaten...I don't think that I am. Anyone want to help out here? It's three against one! :))

Oh, Tony...they told me to tell you since you thrust your dagger into the fray of the last contest, adding insult to injury, that they've waged war against you as well. :))

I just told them to go find girlfriends...and keep them. :v

• La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Well...the three Marvel cheerleaders that work with me here have decided to pick on me once again for loving DC so much. The new debate is:

SUPERMAN vs. SENTRY

artpic-1523-01-full.jpg

The DC Comics character Superman possesses extraordinary powers which render him, as stated in the lead-in to the 1950s Adventures of Superman television series, "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound". His superhuman powers were relatively limited in the early stories, but grew to become near-godlike by the 1980s. After John Byrne's 1986 rewrite, Superman's powers were diminished, though have grown again since then, possessing enough strength to lift and hurl mountains. Wielding "powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men," he is typically considered to be one of the physically strongest comic book heroes in the DC Universe.

artpic-1523-02-full.jpg

The Sentry's powers derive from a serum that moves his molecules an instant ahead of the current timeline, although he also absorbs solar radiation for strength. Though most of his powers and their limits are unknown, he displays several abilities similar to those of DC's Superman, including super-strength, super-speed, invulnerability, flight and enhanced senses. According to the Sentry, while in New York City, he can "hear a butterfly's heartbeat in Africa," though this could be hyperbole. He can project energy fields and control light, and he has vast mental powers used primarily for holding his physical form together. Additionally, he was able to implant his memories inside another person's mind. He is also shown twice (Sentry #8 and New Avengers #20) throwing enemies into the sun. He also emits a radiation that pacifies the Hulk.

My co-workers argument stems from the fact-or so I've heard, that Superman's powers were taken down a peg or two from the Identity Crisis arc (which I never read) and that the current Sentry is limitless in what he can do.

I don't know much about the character but I do know that he's schitzo and a supposed rip-off of the Man Of Steel. Heck, I know that he's a rip-off because that's all Marvel does with the exception of Spider-Man & Fantastic Four.
    A "who would win" contest based on superheroes should be judged more heavily on the prestige and coolness of the character, and secondly on actual battle prowess. Therefore, based on your descriptions, Superman kicks Sentry's backside on his day off from kicking backside.
    edited March 2007
    A "who would win" contest based on superheroes should be judged more heavily on the prestige and coolness of the character, and secondly on actual battle prowess. Therefore, based on your descriptions, Superman kicks Sentry's backside on his day off from kicking backside.

Exactly what I said. The word "limitless" seems to dull me when it comes to Sentry; there should always be an Achilles' Heel when it comes to superheroes. Also, much of him is so far "unknown".

Sounds to me like Marvel's making it up as they go.

My co-workers also added that they have a reliable source that Marvel will produce a SENTRY movie (apparently to rival the SUPERMAN franchise) in the next couple of years yet they can't provide a link.

edited March 2007
    Rogue, tell your frieds they really need to get out more. As to your dilemma...

1.) You really should read Infinite Crisis. Take it from a dyed in the wool, 100%, sentimental old traditionalist: it's a good story and worth your time; far, far better than the drek Marvel is trying to pass off. Superman doesn't lose his powers - he is exposed to kryptonite and a red sun as an act of self sacrifice to defeat Superboy Prime and as such his powers are drained but the last panels make it clear they will slowly regenerate.

2.) I've never heard of this guy but if this is the best Marvel can come up with, then Quesada & Co. are even more imaginatively bankrupt than I thought. It looks to me like they thought that if they created a character that could do anything, that would automatically make him the coolest character in comics. What they forget is that it's not the powers that make you memorable, but what you do with them - some of Marvel's most popular characters like Spiderman and Wolverine aren't particularly powerful, yet they're still tremendously popular. You should ask your friends why that is (BTW, this is one of the themes of Infinite Crisis). This Sentry guy sounds so overpowered and omnipotent as to be an utterly uninteresting bore - he'll probably be killed off within 5 years or, when interest dims, his powers will be similarly diminished to make him more accessible. He also has a lame look; bare chest, flowing hair - is he a hero or a supermodel?

3.) As to how Supes would defeat him, I have absolutely no idea. He once used a Mother Box to push Doomsday forward in time to the end of existence where he was crushed by the collapsing universe's own entropy; that might probably work with this loser as well.

He could also travel back in time and stop Sentry (with a name like that he sounds like a security guard) from ingesting the serum.

According to Wikipedia ... "In Iron Man (vol.4) #9-10, the Sentry fights Iron Man. During the course of the battle, Iron Man yells "C.L.O.C." - the name of the Sentry's robot prioritizing system - which then feeds all kinds of emergencies into the Sentry's head, leaving him incapacitated and unable to finish Iron Man." ... If that's all it takes I could take him out in about 2 seconds.

And if this Sentry is supposed to be a knockoff of Superman, I'm sure kryptonite would be just as lethal to him as well. :p
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    How about the fact that Sentry looks stupid? Looks a little like Thor decided to steal Namor's clothes.
  • La CuranderaLa Curandera Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    How about the fact that Sentry looks stupid? Looks a little like Thor decided to steal Namor's clothes.
    great point. Question, if a hero's super-strength is based on the sun, or magic, or whatever, why are these guys super ripped? If I was powered by the sun like supes, I'd NEVER work out... I'd be the beer-bellied, 400lb man of tomorrow!

You have no idea how comments like that OFFEND many Marvel disciples at conventions that I attend - even some of the guys that I sit with take this guy's ability & look to heart.

Frankly I am not impressed because he's too much like my beloved Superman...only Fabio-esque. :))

He can't be that popular. I've never heard of him before this.

Funny you should say that, Night and it's odd that a young man such as yourself hasn't heard of him and you have admitted to reading Civil War where Fabio is a key component to the arc I hear ?:) .
    I had first heard of him last year when I was talking to some guys at Jim Hanley's Comics on 33rd - just a few blocks down from Marvel Comics.

They got offended that I even asked who he was. Trust me when I say this- over the last decade or so there has been a quiet surge of people following the MCG Universe passionately. Alot of the requests I get for sketches at cons are 95% Marvel characters I kid you not.

So does that make DC the VH-1 for old fogies like me?

Question, if a hero's super-strength is based on the sun, or magic, or whatever, why are these guys super ripped? If I was powered by the sun like supes, I'd NEVER work out... I'd be the beer-bellied, 400lb man of tomorrow!

It's an honest question I'll give you that so maybe the perfect anatomy heroes are gifted with goes without saying...y'know-sort of an added bonus. You could also say that good genes play a part in it as well?
    I've never thought that Superman worked out unless he was Kent playing up the facade. ;)

RogueAgent wrote:

Funny you should say that, Night and it's odd that a young man such as yourself hasn't heard of him and you have admitted to reading Civil War where Fabio is a key component to the arc I hear ?:) .
    I had first heard of him last year when I was talking to some guys at Jim Hanley's Comics on 33rd - just a few blocks down from Marvel Comics.

They got offended that I even asked who he was. Trust me when I say this- over the last decade or so there has been a quiet surge of people following the MCG Universe passionately. Alot of the requests I get for sketches at cons are 95% Marvel characters I kid you not.

So does that make DC the VH-1 for old fogies like me?

Uh... Thor was a main component of Civil War. Can't say I remember any guy named Sentry doing anything, but then again, I tend not to pay attention to names of the characters I don't know/don't care about.
    Uh... Thor was a main component of Civil War. Can't say I remember any guy named Sentry doing anything, but then again, I tend not to pay attention to names of the characters I don't know/don't care about.

Well perhaps if the supposed SENTRY movie project gets off of the ground, you can go audition for the lead role seeing you both have that blond thing going for you.

It could finally give you a chance to leave the porn industry. :D

You're quite hopeful for that, aren't you? :))
    You're quite hopeful for that, aren't you? :))

Yes, my friend it is possible for you. Don't be so doubtful... :D

ronjeremy_287x322.jpg

Man that guy is weird looking.