The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,286MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Tony, you were right about The Dark Knight Strikes Again :#

Just a big mess and I didn't like the artwork much.

I'm sorry to have been so prophetic. But as I said before, Frank Miller wore out his welcome as a writer a long time ago. As an artist he was never welcome to begin with. And for my money, I've seen eight year olds who are better colorists than Lynn Varley.

Wille Garvin, who I consider our undisputed expert on comics lore, recommended DC: The New Frontier to me a while ago but I haven't been able to track down the trade editions, even Amazon has them backordered.

I just started reading Superman/Batman: Absolute Power. Pretty good read so far and I like the art style.

I'm also liking Geoff's Johns writing more and more - he did DC's Infinite Crisis and has also breathed new life into Flash and Green Lantern. He might be a good writer to check out.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I read the first part of TDK Strikes Again and thought it was awesome. Haven't read any more of it, but I'd like to.

Superman deserved it.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if Alan Moore was the first person responsible for the deconstruction of superheroes but it got a bit tiresome at some point. At least he used his own characters. I did though use to enjoy Marvel's 'What if?' series where a typical issue would involve The Punisher killing Daredevil or Spiderman having his identity revealed.
    I don't know if Alan Moore was the first person responsible for the deconstruction of superheroes but it got a bit tiresome at some point. At least he used his own characters. I did though use to enjoy Marvel's 'What if?' series where a typical issue would involve The Punisher killing Daredevil or Spiderman having his identity revealed.

DC Comics used to have an Elseworlds line, basically their version of "What If". Some of the stories were pretty good - there was a JLA Elseworlds where Earth is invaded by aliens and by the end of the book the only original hero to survive the battle is Green Lantern Hal Jordan. Unfortunately though, most of the Elseworlds entries weren't very imaginative or original, quickly degenerated into cliche and the endings started to get very repetitive.

Just finished Batman/Superman: Absolute Power. Overall a good story where Batman and Superman are manipulated by beings from the 31st Century and must travel thru alternate timelines to set things right.

I really have a lot of catching up to do to come up to speed in the DCU. Infinite Crisis has really piqued my interest again and I'm going to try getting back into Green Lantern, Superman and Batman more regularly again. I also always enjoyed Flash but I don't think he has a regular ongoing series right now.
    Here's a little information on the Superman/Doomsday direct to DVD movie that Bruce Timm is doing for Warner Home Video. It looks to be based on the Death of Superman storyline and will be rated PG-13 for some intense scenes.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/770/770135p1.html

I really like how Timm & Co. are adapting these event stories into DVD releases and hope they'll continue to do so. I'd love to see adaptations of the Crisis stories and Kingdom Come.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Hal Jordan avatar...I knew that it was just a matter of time, Tony. ;)

Speaking of Timm and straight to video, I'd love to see a BATMAN: KNIGHTQUEST animated story involving The Joker and Azrael.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Hal Jordan avatar...I knew that it was just a matter of time, Tony. ;)

Thought you'd notice. ;) It's from the cover of the Revenge of the Green Lanterns book. I'd been looking to swap HAL for Hal and once I saw the cover I knew I had my new avatar.
    Speaking of Timm and straight to video, I'd love to see a BATMAN: KNIGHTQUEST animated story involving The Joker and Azrael.

The best thing to do is support their current efforts and show WB there is a market for these direct to video adaptations. I'll be picking up this and the DC: New Frontier DVD's as soon as they pop up.

BTW, I read Infinite Crisis over the weekend and posted a little blurb on the previous page. I really enjoyed it; did you ever read that one? Just curious about what you thought.
    I never read Infinite Crisis for reasons that may never hold up; I guess I didn't want to read anything out of the norm, I was into Phil Hester's Green Arrow run at the time this arc came out, Daredevil, Batman, etc. I did hear that after IC they took Supes powers down a peg right?

I'm all for good art and scripting but I get sort of uncomfortable when you "shake" things up so to speak.
    Another reason as to why I don't care to read Civil War...

Even you can appreciate that, Tony. I didn't buy a single Green Lantern comic for an entire decade until Hal Jordan returned; I never took to Rayner...

RogueAgent wrote:
    I never read Infinite Crisis for reasons that may never hold up; I guess I didn't want to read anything out of the norm, I was into Phil Hester's Green Arrow run at the time this arc came out, Daredevil, Batman, etc. I did hear that after IC they took Supes powers down a peg right?

I'm all for good art and scripting but I get sort of uncomfortable when you "shake" things up so to speak. Another reason as to why I don't care to read Civil War...

Even you can appreciate that, Tony. I didn't buy a single Green Lantern comic for an entire decade until Hal Jordan returned; I never took to Rayner...

I admire your dedication Rogue, especially to Hal. I understand your reasons for avoiding IC and share many of them. I'm usually very skeptical of these "event" comics as they often don't pan out and end up creating more harm than good. Marvel is notorious for doing that and as far as I can tell, Civil War is the worst offender yet.

But I did like Infinite Crisis. I really didn't know what to expect since I've been so out of touch and bought the book on an impulse. Owing to the events at the end of the book, Superman does temporarily lose his powers and decides to spend some quality time as Clark Kent with Lois. Batman also decides to take a break and goes on a voyage of self discovery with Dick Grayson and Tim Drake to try and reconnect with his extended family.

In spite of all the death and mayhem in the book, one thing I liked was the the ending was very optimistic. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are all better people for their experience and no longer carry the burden of being heroes so heavily. Bruce Wayne in particular becomes much less dark. The GL Corp is also solidified as an important part of the DCU again. So overall, despite trying to tie in so many storylines, I liked IC because it appeared to take some of the darkness, which had really been a turnoff to me, out of the DCU.

Just my two cents.
    I like when things are shaken up. It makes it interesting. No wonder I like Civil War.
    edited March 2007
    I like when things are shaken up. It makes it interesting. No wonder I like Civil War.

You're from the reboot generation 8-).

When you can't think up your own ideas, you tinker with what already works: music, movies, books, etc...you get the picture?

You're riding on the coattails of our childhood.

Hellboy 2 to Start Filming in May
    Source: LA Daily News March 5, 2007

Ron Perlman talked to the LA Daily News about Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, for which Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro has flown to Budapest to "zero in on the beginning of principal photography."

Perlman added that he is busy working out to get back into that super suit of his for a production start around the end of May. "I'm already in the gym six days a week," he notes with a smile. And what does his workout consist of? "The push-ups, the sit-ups, the stationary bike. Then, of course, there's the lifting of the pizza." Does he have a trainer? "I have a trainer, and I'm almost housebroken," he quips.

The sequel will have "an epic quality," says Perlman, even as it "continues to explore all the things that are great about this character - a superhero who is such an underachiever and such an adolescent."

• Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Comic hero Captain America dies

For the full article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6431619.stm

Superhero Captain America has been killed off after appearing in US comic books for over 66 years.
    Comic hero Captain America dies

For the full article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6431619.stm

Superhero Captain America has been killed off after appearing in US comic books for over 66 years.

At first I thought that this was one of your classic tongue-in-cheeks, MNL but I didn't see this coming. :o

• Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    At first I thought that this was one of your classic tongue-in-cheeks, MNL but I didn't see this coming. :o

The BBC also has a report (sound only). The link below works for me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6430000/newsid_6432400/6432429.stm?bw=nb&mp=rm
    I just called three different comic stores in the area and they are all sold out of these issues; none of them had no idea that Marvel was going to do that.

I smell a "DEATH OF SUPERMAN" ploy all over again... :v

Of course, RA. I'd like to get the issue. What issue is it, specifically? Maybe I can find it on eBay.
    edited March 2007
    Of course, RA. I'd like to get the issue. What issue is it, specifically? Maybe I can find it on eBay.

I saw it somewhere earlier today on Ebay for 20 bucks, Night. Be my guest... 8-)

My co-worker sent the link. Not sure of what issue it was.

Now there are BINs of between 50-80. Ridiculous. Hopefully the price will drop soon.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Two things:
    1)I read the following in a newspaper article.
    In an upcoming issue Captain America gets killed.
    What do you think about that?

2)In the same article, it mentioned that Marvel owned Superman. I thought DC owned Superman. ?:)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Looks like New Line Cinema is moving forward with their Captain Marvel movie. They've hired John August to write the script and, refreshingly enough, August seems to be sticking with the premise that Billy Batson is a young boy who can transform into a superhero. August is also getting Geoff Johns (of Green Lantern, Flash and Infinite Crisis fame) to review his script and keep him honest. This is still a long ways off, but the first tentative steps sound promising.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/771/771821p1.html
    I'm excited for SHAZAM! Just don't mess up the casting.

Don't know if you guys followed the TinTin comics or HBO shows but it looks like it's about to take the next step:

Spielberg's Dreamworks To Make Tintin Movie

Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg's company Dreamworks is set to bring beloved animated series Tintin to the big screen. The film giant has reportedly committed to making at least one film featuring the intrepid Belgian boy reporter, although it has not yet been decided which of the 24 comic books will be adapted for the project. Nick Rodwell, head of Herge Studios which was set up by Tintin creator George Remis in 1950, confirms the company will go into pre-production on a film scheduled for release in 2009. He says, "If movie number one works, we will continue." Tintin first appeared in a Belgian children's newspaper in 1929. It went on to become a comic book series and an animated TV show.

Oh no. I hate Tintin.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    TonyDP wrote:
    Looks like New Line Cinema is moving forward with their Captain Marvel movie. They've hired John August to write the script and, refreshingly enough, August seems to be sticking with the premise that Billy Batson is a young boy who can transform into a superhero.

A Shazam! movie? I am soooo there (well, so long as they treat the C. C. Beck / Otto Binder creation as holy writ). I just hope they've abandoned plans to get The Rock to play Captain Marvel. As much as I like The Rock, he's just a bit too beefy for the part. No, the man who looks most like the Captain,

who was, of course, modeled on Fred MacMurray, is actually formerSaturday Night Live and current Daily Show funnyman Rob Riggle:

But what are his chances?  No one ever said the Hardyboy was a casting agent. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited March 2007
    I hope that Dr. Sivana will be cast but more than likely it'll be Black Adam - a role perfect for The Rock.

Then there's the issue of whether or not they'll play up the quirkiness the Beck books were famous for. Has anyone here read THE POWER OF SHAZAM! by Jerry Ordway? This would be the best approach to take.

Why is there going to be a SHAZAM movie and still no Cap movie??? :s ?:)

I feel your pain, Night but there is a Cap film on the way or at least I hope:

Captain America (2009)

Writing credits
    David S. Goyer (screenplay)
    Jack Kirby (characters)
    more

Release Date:July 2009 (USA) more
    Genre:Action / Adventure more
    Plot Outline:Unassuming Army officer Steve Rogers volunteers for a top secret research project that turns him into Captain America, a superhero dedicated to defending America's ideals.
    Plot Keywords:Captain America / Superhero / Character Name In Title / Based On Comic Book / Based On Comic more
    Production Notes/Status:
    Comments:
    Status Updated:28 December 2006
    Note:Since this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change; some data could be removed completely.

RogueAgent wrote:
    Then there's the issue of whether or not they'll play up the quirkiness the Beck books were famous for. Has anyone here read THE POWER OF SHAZAM! by Jerry Ordway? This would be the best approach to take.

I would tend to agree; that is for my money one of the best modern takes on the character and could definitely serve as a template for how to handle the Billy/Captain Marvel dynamic.

RogueAgent wrote:

I feel your pain, Night but there is a Cap film on the way or at least I hope:

And I hear Aaron Eckhardt is in the running to play Cap. Well, maybe. :v
    Oh no. I hate Tintin.

:)) I forgot how you hate boy characters, Night. You shared your disdain for Billy Batson, why should this be any different to you? :))

TonyDP wrote:
    And I hear Aaron Eckhardt is in the running to play Cap. Well, maybe. :v

Okay...just noticed the potshot. :))

If he pulls off this Dent thing with flying colors, Tony, you can hang it up. He'll be Two-Face by the third film. But hey, it's Hollywood and anything's possible.

Since you mentioned him, I sorta watched up on him in certain films and I'll admit that he has a Steve Rogers-type demeanor...gotta hit the weights significantly more though...