The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Good call, H.B.

Not Carter but she is hot and she and her sister both have captivating eyes.

I had a comic friend say that he's heard even Uma Thurman's name tossed around; please say it ain't so...
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I thought of someone really good to be WW, but I forgot... who was I thinking of? X-( ?:)
    Now I remember! Morgan Webb. Not sure she has the acting shops for it, but then again, how much does it take?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Not to turn this thread into Izzy Stuff II, but of all the names being bandied about for Wonder Woman, the one I think makes the most sense is Bones star Emily Deschanel. She's mature (30), reasonably tall (5'9"), no stranger to action, and blessed with incredible eyes to rival Lynda Carter's. And she ain't too hard to look at, either:

Very attractive but she seems a little thin and ... ahem ... underendowed for the part based on this photo.
    Now I remember! Morgan Webb. Not sure she has the acting shops for it, but then again, how much does it take?

She's a babe, but she's also trashy, beyond vapid and has never had a real acting job in her life (unless you count those cheesy skits on X-Play). And that perpetual pout of hers has gotten really annoying. I think her 15 minutes of fame ran out about 20 minutes ago.

How about Catherine Bell? She's probably in her late 30's by now but is still quite attractive and based on her stint on Jag could probably handle the physical requirements of the role.
    I was suggesting Webb solely on her looks. She is tall, strongly pretty (no idea what that means lol) and has long black hair. Her build seems very WW to me. Not sure why you find her trashy. No, she's never acted and probably wouldn't be any good, but I was never a fan of WW anyway, so I don't expect the movie to be anything more than cheesy.
    I was suggesting Webb solely on her looks. She is tall, strongly pretty (no idea what that means lol) and has long black hair. Her build seems very WW to me. Not sure why you find her trashy. No, she's never acted and probably wouldn't be any good, but I was never a fan of WW anyway, so I don't expect the movie to be anything more than cheesy.

For me, the "trashy" vibe comes from her demeanor and wardrobe on X-Play. She's cute, but sometimes she looks like she hasn't bathed in days. Anyhow, sorry if I came on too strong, didn't mean it that way at all.
    I've just always loved X Play. Doubt she is in charge of her wardrobe, or at least she chooses from a rack of clothes. And I don't know what you mean with the bathing thing, as I've never thought that to myself, but I have noticed that some of her hairstyles are awful.

But come on, she looks the part:

http://www.blazinbeauties.com/pages1/morgan_webb/morgan_webb_13.jpg
    TonyDP wrote:
    She's cute, but sometimes she looks like she hasn't bathed in days.

:)) :)) :))

Something funny in the way that was delivered. I dunno...

Morgan Webb looks too 90s Grunge Seattle IMO plus she has no hips...or much of a backside for that matter.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Very attractive but she seems a little thin and ... ahem ... underendowed for the part based on this photo.

Well, here she is (on the right, of course) in a scene from Glory Road:

She looks rather well-fed and boyant to me, and the period clothing looks good on her.  She could certainly sell a 1940s Diana Prince.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Morgan Webb looks too 90s Grunge Seattle IMO plus she has no hips...or much of a backside for that matter.

That's just off mark. Are you guys seeing different pictures than I am? :s :))
    They're dropping like flies. Now it has come to light that David Goyer quietly left the Flash project some time ago and has been replaced by Night at the Museum director Shawn Levy. I was never a big fan of Goyer's writing (Batman Begins being the major exception) and his directorial debut in Blade Trinity was not exactly a watershed moment. But his Flash script did sound interesting as it involved both Barry Allen and Wally West.

Not too sure about Levy, although he does say that he plans to play it straight but just go a little less dark than BB or SR. One good thing about Flash is that he has a really wild rogues gallery of villains so it shouldn't be too hard to find a good adversary. I'll be curious to see where this goes.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/761/761336p1.html
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    They're dropping like flies. Now it has come to light that David Goyer quietly left the Flash project some time ago and has been replaced by Night at the Museum director Shawn Levy. I was never a big fan of Goyer's writing (Batman Begins being the major exception) and his directorial debut in Blade Trinity was not exactly a watershed moment. But his Flash script did sound interesting as it involved both Barry Allen and Wally West.

Not too sure about Levy, although he does say that he plans to play it straight but just go a little less dark than BB or SR. One good thing about Flash is that he has a really wild rogues gallery of villains so it shouldn't be too hard to find a good adversary. I'll be curious to see where this goes.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/761/761336p1.html

Well it's a no-brainer that Captain Cold should be Flash's first baddie; he's the one rogue I take seriously. Grodd next.

The rest of the gallery are either give or take; Peek-A-Boo? Mirror Master? Captain Boomerang would be cool depending on his garb and the Trickster would make a nice addition.

Either way, unless the movie's dreadfully a dud, I'm so there... ;)

edited February 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was Professor Zoom, a/k/a the Reverse Flash, since he can match Flash in the speed department.
    TonyDP wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was Professor Zoom, a/k/a the Reverse Flash, since he can match Flash in the speed department.

I forgot about him; even as a kid, when I collected Flash comics, I wasn't a big fan of Zoom.

Perhaps it was the yellow costume- not sure. Am I the only one who would care to see a Jay Garrick version? Perhaps make a cameo or something...

• Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    maybe if they have a flashback (no pun intended) of jay handing over to Barry which would then set up Barry passing on to wally
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
    Agent_M wrote:
    maybe if they have a flashback (no pun intended) of jay handing over to Barry which would then set up Barry passing on to wally

I'd like to see something like that; tie in the fact that Keystone City or Central City (or wherever the movie takes place) has always had a super speedster as its protector.

So Agent_M, by your avatar and location I assume you're a Flash fan?
  • Agent_MAgent_M lost in the speed forcePosts: 353MI6 Agent
    oh yes much to my wife's dissapointment. being a Bond geek, fine. Going to the gym three times a week, fine. styding Keysi, fine. Reading comics at 33, thats weird. ;)
    Purvis,Wade...........GRRRRRRRR!

www.scottacademymartialarts.co.uk
  • RustiRoyaleRustiRoyale Posts: 16MI6 Agent
    I never read to much into these 'best of' lists. Whats dreck to one person is a masterpiece to another. its all subjective.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Sort-of getting this back on topic, I just came across this interesting article from the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, covering the upcoming films based on Marvel comics:

Marvel stays true to superhero characters in transition to big screen

By Bill Radford

The Gazette

Maybe Marvel's comics should start coming with a bucket of popcorn.

Marvel superheroes will dominate the big screen this year, starting with "Ghost Rider" on Feb. 16. "Spider-Man 3" arrives in theaters May 4, followed by "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" on June 15.

Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studios, said the company takes the same approach whether tackling a much-beloved character such as Spider-Man or a lesser-known one such as Ghost Rider.

"We know there's a hard-core group of loyal, loving fans of any given property, whether it's Spider-Man or the X-Men or the Fantastic Four or Ghost Rider," he said. The studio works to please those fans by staying true to the character while also appealing to a broader audience by not getting bogged down in comic book continuity or minutiae.

"It's really about telling the best story and staying true to the origins of the character," Feige said.

"Ghost Rider," he said, will introduce one of the Marvel universe's quirkier characters to moviegoers. "Nicolas Cage plays Johnny Blaze, who finds himself overcome by certain forces, turning into this incredibly bad-ass, chopper-riding, flaming-skull hero."

For Cage, a comics fan who was set to star as Superman under director Tim Burton before that project died, "Ghost Rider" provides the chance to finally play a superhero on the big screen. "I'm sure he would tell you it was a dream of his to do this," Feige said.

While "Ghost Rider" is just the start for Johnny Blaze, "Spider-Man 3" continues the story of Peter "Spider-Man" Parker, played by Tobey Maguire. He'll face new threats this time: Sandman and Venom.

Don't expect the third installment to be the end for the highly successful franchise. "We've been telling stories in the comic books for over 40 years, and we can be telling stories on the big screen for years to come," Feige said. But he wouldn't say whether Maguire or director Sam Raimi will be part of that future, saying the focus is on "Spider-Man 3."

"Rise of the Silver Surfer" is a sequel to 2005's "Fantastic Four." There had long been talk of developing Marvel's cosmic Silver Surfer in his own film. But ultimately, Feige said, "we at Marvel decided, you know what, it would be best to introduce him as he was in the comics, which was on an adventure with the Fantastic Four.

"And if that works out, we would love to spin him into his own movies."

Marvel Studios teamed with Sony Pictures for "Ghost Rider" and "Spider-Man 3" and 20th Century Fox for "Rise of the Silver Surfer." It plans to go solo with several other movies.

"We've had nothing but great experiences with our partnerships, and I think it just comes down frankly to a business decision of enjoying more of the reward," Feige said.

First up will be "Iron Man," starring Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow. Filming begins in a few weeks, with a release date set for May 2, 2008.

A key challenge has been designing the high-tech armor that the character of Tony Stark dons to become Iron Man. "We've had artists working on it for nearly a year now," Feige said, "designing what I believe is the single most successful translation of a character from comics to the big screen, and the best version of the suit that has ever existed."

A 2008 release date is also set for "The Incredible Hulk." The green-skinned behemoth first stormed into theaters in director Ang Lee's "Hulk" in 2003. Feige says he's proud of the angst-ridden first film.

But he's eager to deliver a movie that explores a different angle of the Hulk, "which is that element of wish fulfillment, of overcoming an injustice or a bully and tapping into a strength that you didn't quite realize you had in yourself."

It looks like a tiny hero also will have his moment on the big screen. Writer/director Edgar Wright ("Shaun of the Dead") is working on the script for an Ant-Man movie.

"After that, it's hard to talk too far in the future," Feige said, "but Captain America and Thor and Black Panther and the Avengers are all on our development slate right now."

A Captain America movie sounds great--and I sincerely hope it would be set in World War II, where Cap belongs--but are there really people clamoring for an Ant Man flick? Well, it takes all kinds. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    As much as I'd like to see a Thor movie, I cringe at the thought of a movie filled with the God of Thunder's lofty prose..."Od's bodkins! Get the hence, ye spawn of Hel's ranking depths!"
    darenhat wrote:
    As much as I'd like to see a Thor movie, I cringe at the thought of a movie filled with the God of Thunder's lofty prose..."Od's bodkins! Get the hence, ye spawn of Hel's ranking depths!"

I'm all for comics movies but some of these adaptations do leave me scratching my head. I have trouble believing Ghost Rider will be able to find an audience, especially with Nicholas Cage in the lead. Now we get Ant Man? I like Hank Pym as much as the next guy but I say stick with the more iconic heros first. Captain America is a natural and I agree with HB that a WWII angle would be the way to go, at least for the first movie.

As for a Thor movie all I can say is ... By Odin's beard, why dost thou speaketh such words? Hast the Enchantress cast a spell upon thee? Hast the trecherous Loki tricked thee into doing his vile bidding? ... Seriously, for me part of Thor's appeal is the language; it could make for some great scenes if done right. Even that otherwise forgettable Hulk TV movie from the 80's guest starring Thor was able play that angle to good comedic effect - far better than having the son of Odin call somebody "Dude". ;)
    edited February 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Captain America is a natural and I agree with HB that a WWII angle would be the way to go, at least for the first movie.

With the WINGS on his mask!

I'm so od'ed on so-called comic fans, who weren't born before you yet claim they exude more comic-endowment than you, are not for the cosmetic of leaving Cap's wings on his mask! How can anyone think that this is a ridiculous request?

Every young whipper-snapper I talk to says that it's a dumb idea and it doesn't make him realistic...

...When I last checked, wasn't suspending your disbelief allowed? ?:)

I want classic-looking Cap! I swear it's like whether Batman should have the yellow oval or not arguement. :#

Bring it home Brother Rogue. Personally, I want...

... wings on Captain America's mask.
    ... a yellow oval on Batman's chest.
    ... the Joker to look exactly like he did in The Killing Joke.
    ... gold Mercury wings on the sides of Flash's mask and lose the muscle bound costume from the TV show.
    ... Thor to wear the hokey winged helmet and big red cape.
    ... a round unibeam projector on Iron Man's chest.
    ... Wonder Woman's costume to be exactly like the comic - complete with bustier, hotpants and red boots.
    ... a killer Green Lantern movie and the costume has to be exactly the way Gil Kane drew it, right down to the 2D emblem and domino mask.
    ... Jessica Alba to do a nude scene in FF2.

Is that asking so much?
    TonyDP wrote:
    Bring it home Brother Rogue. Personally, I want...

... Jessica Alba to do a nude scene in FF2.

Is that asking so much?

Nooooooo...of course not... :D

Here are some sneak clips from the comic movie 300 . Enjoy:

http://movies.go.com/300/m854148/action

Here's the latestest rumor on the upcoming Incredible Hulk picture from AICN.com:

Who May Be The Next Hulk?
    Oscar winner rumored for the role.
    by Stax

February 12, 2007 - He has investigated the death of Superman, famously kissed Storm live on TV, and battled King Kong. Now the Oscar-winning actor has been linked with a monster of a role.

Adrien Brody, who won Best Actor for The Pianist, has been linked to the title role, a.k.a. Dr. Bruce Banner, in The Incredible Hulk, according to Ain't It Cool News.

While IGN continues to investigate the rumor, one key Marvel source advised us, "The role is not yet cast." Obviously, that is neither a confirmation nor a denial.

Brody's reps at CAA were coy, giving us a "no comment," adding that it was too "premature" at this stage to respond to the rumor. Make of that what you will.

I dunno really so I'm on the fence if this happens...what do you guys think?

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I think it's a good idea. Brody is a very talented actor but also I think he provides a real contrast between the geekier Dr. Banner and the more aggressive Hulk. I've never read the comics, but I think it could work.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I think it's a good idea. Brody is a very talented actor but also I think he provides a real contrast between the geekier Dr. Banner and the more aggressive Hulk. I've never read the comics, but I think it could work.

Yes, I think that if Brody is chosen/accepts, he'll be more reminiscent of the Ultimate Avengers Banner who actually is drawn quite fragile, troubled and geekish. It would make a good contrast although I'm maybe one in a handful who thought that Bana did a great job with it...

Brody does have the acting chops not to be ignored.

I liked Bana too, although his disturbing resemblance to Corey Feldman was definitely a strike against him for me. The whole repressed memories angle was also a bit bizarre given the character's 4 color history. Ultimately, I think Hulk failed commercially because there was too much psychological drama and people just wanted Hulk to smash more.

As for Brody, he could definitely pull off the geeky, scrawny Banner. It's an interesting angle that has worked in the books and could work in a live movie if done correctly.

BTW Rogue, I see by your new sig photo that Superman Returns continues to traumatize you. What are we to do with you when he starts filming the sequel?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    BTW Rogue, I see by your new sig photo that Superman Returns continues to traumatize you. What are we to do with you when he starts filming the sequel?
    Well, by that time he should have the new Batman film to help him deal with his misery. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman