The 20 Greatest Comic Book Movies

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I am a huge, HUGE Captain Marvel fan, a genetic trait I inherited from my father, who was eagerly devouring the adventures of the Big Red Cheese (and his "family") back in the 1940s. I would love to see a faithful version of the Cap story, and I believe it could work if the filmmakers firmly set the movie in a fantasy world, ideally in the 1940s, and adopt a whimsical tone. It could be a nice change-of-pace from the often dark, angst-ridden comic book movies we have today.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited October 2006
    Well, guys I won't lie- I've always favored Captain Marvel over Superman. Believe it or not, during the 40s Fawcett Comics' Red Cheese was actually outselling then National Publications'(DC) Superman.

They sued Fawcett stating that their hero was too similar to Supes. Years later they(DC) buy the properties when Fawcett goes under. I've always wondered why over the years CM always came up short with the Man Of Steel in their altercations - payback.

I pray that they do SHAZAM! justice if brought to the big screen; he's an endearing character to me as well.
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    This is probably old news, but according to my copy of Australian Empire among the comic book movies that are coming out in the next few years are another Hulk, Hellboy 2, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Ghost Rider, another Superman, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Thor and Wolverine.

Can't wait. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    This is probably old news, but according to my copy of Australian Empire among the comic book movies that are coming out in the next few years are another Hulk, Hellboy 2, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Ghost Rider, another Superman, Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Thor and Wolverine.

Can't wait. {[]

I thought that Silver Surfer was to be in the Fantastic Four sequel? He's not that exciting enough a character to hold a movie on his own.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    whuts the plan for the FF sequel?
    I was reading the issues where Dr Doom steals the Surfers Power Cosmic and whups The Things orange brick butt
    and thought if the sequel really is going to be the story of Galactus and his herald, Lee & Kirby have already written the perfect excuse to bring Dr Doom back into the story
    itd be really nice if they could work in Medusa and Lockjaw, thatd keep those CGI techies working overtime
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    The Silver Surfer is definitely in the FF sequel; from what I've read, the intention is to introduce him in FF and if he is popular, spin him off into his own sequel (ala Electra in Daredevil).

I've also read that Frankie Raye is in the movie. In the comics she becomes Galactus' herald; as such, I can envision Galactus coming to Earth, the Silver Surfer turning against his master, and Frakie (as Nova) taking over the job at the end.

The wildcard is Dr. Doom, who will also be in the sequel. There are rumors that he tries to steal Surfer's (and even Galactus') powers ala Secret Wars, but that's all speculation so far.

Sounds like too many characters to me, but we'll see what happens.
    edited November 2006
    Even if FF is another financial success, a spin-off for Surfer is boooooring.

Y'know not every comic character created in page form translates as vividly on the big screen. SS is one of them...at least on his own. An alien riding a surfboard. :))

Now if you went the alien route...Martian Manhunter would hold up much better-oooooh! My DC bias is showing. ;%

edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:

Y'know not every comic character created in page form translates as vividly on the big screen. SS is one of them...at least on his own. An alien riding a surfboard. :))

Now if you went the alien route...Martian Manhunter would hold up much better-oooooh! My DC bias is showing. ;%

I don't know Rogue, I always thought the Surfer was a pretty interesting character; his origin is suitably tragic (at least it was when Kirby and Lee wrote it; don't know if Marvel has updated it since) and he also has some cool powers beyond the surfboard. A big problem with the Surfer is that he will have to be an all CGI character to make him convincing, and I don't know if such a creature could carry a whole movie on his shoulders.

Did you ever read John Byrne's Galactus / Darkseid: The Hunger? It was a pretty neat crossover wherein the Silver Surfer (who was still Galactus' herald at the time) leads the Big G to Apololips so that he can feed. Much mayhem ensues, the New Gods make an appearance, Darkseid bitch slaps Desaad around, Orion gets his ass kicked, and there's a little surprise ending as well. One of my favorite crossovers.
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I don't know Rogue, I always thought the Surfer was a pretty interesting character; his origin is suitably tragic (at least it was when Kirby and Lee wrote it; don't know if Marvel has updated it since) and he also has some cool powers beyond the surfboard. A big problem with the Surfer is that he will have to be an all CGI character to make him convincing, and I don't know if such a creature could carry a whole movie on his shoulders.

Which solidifies my argument to begin with- Silver Surfer's a GREAT read (Lee/Kirby) but is it really imperitive to translate this to a movie? It tarnishes the acheivement of the Marvel forefathers IMO.
    Another thing is that for those not in the loop of comics won't even know who he is and he more than likely will be CGI'ed which in his case adds to the cheesiness of it all.

I also loved the John Buscema run on Surfer from the 60s books (which my mom tossed out years ago :# ); those were some great stories as well but he just doesn't have enough appeal for me to pay admission for...even though my addiction for the medium will probably supersede that. :))
    ]Did you ever read John Byrne's Galactus / Darkseid: The Hunger? It was a pretty neat crossover wherein the Silver Surfer (who was still Galactus' herald at the time) leads the Big G to Apololips so that he can feed. Much mayhem ensues, the New Gods make an appearance, Darkseid bitch slaps Desaad around, Orion gets his ass kicked, and there's a little surprise ending as well. One of my favorite crossovers.

No I haven't read it but I've heard more than enough positive reviews to warrant getting it. I want Darkseid in the SR sequel with Calibak and Orion added to the mix...but if it's up to Singer we'll just get Zod revamped. 8-)

edited November 2006
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Which solidifies my argument to begin with- Silver Surfer's a GREAT read (Lee/Kirby) but is it really imperitive to translate this to a movie? It tarnishes the acheivement of the Marvel forefathers IMO.
    Another thing is that for those not in the loop of comics won't even know who he is and he more than likely will be CGI'ed which in his case adds to the cheesiness of it all.

I see where you're coming from. I don't think the Silver Surfer is mass market enough on his own either. Also, I find his character works best in outer space, facing off against the likes of Terrax or Thanos. His sojourns on Earth, commenting on the human condition get very boring very fast for me.

It would probably work better as an all CGI movie and maybe go direct to video. Of course, Marvel film will have to do it the hard way.
    Did you ever read John Byrne's Galactus / Darkseid: The Hunger? It was a pretty neat crossover wherein the Silver Surfer (who was still Galactus' herald at the time) leads the Big G to Apololips so that he can feed. Much mayhem ensues, the New Gods make an appearance, Darkseid bitch slaps Desaad around, Orion gets his ass kicked, and there's a little surprise ending as well. One of my favorite crossovers.

No I haven't read it but I've heard more than enough positive reviews to warrant getting it. I want Darkseid in the SR sequel with Calibak and Orion added to the mix...but if it's up to Singer we'll just get Zod revamped. 8-)

By all means, check it out; I thought it was a very good book.

As for Superman Returns II or whatever it will be called, the trades are saying that the villain will be a "major player" in the DCU who pays a visit to Metropolis. Now I never considered Zod a major villain in the books, so there is hope that a villain of Darkseid's stature may yet come to harrass Supes in the sequel. They could also use somebody like Mongul, who has also given the big blue boyscout a run for his money on several occasions. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Now I never considered Zod a major villain in the books, so there is hope that a villain of Darkseid's stature may yet come to harrass Supes in the sequel.

"Why do you say these things to me, Tony DP? When you know I will kill you for it?"

"Bryan Singer- Ruler of Australia- activate the projector!"

phantomzonevillians.jpg

RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Now I never considered Zod a major villain in the books, so there is hope that a villain of Darkseid's stature may yet come to harrass Supes in the sequel.

"Why do you say these things to me, Tony DP? When you know I will kill you for it?"

Still your tongue worm, lest I rip it out!
    -Tony Darkseid :p

Knowing Singer, he'll probably make Darkseid the villain of the next movie...and then hire Ian McKellen to play him...without any makeup. 8-)
    TonyDP wrote:
    Knowing Singer, he'll probably make Darkseid the villain of the next movie...and then hire Ian McKellen to play him...without any makeup. 8-)

You know you're wrong don't ya? :))

RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

Not sure what you mean, but for both our sakes, I hope I am. :)
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

I meant that you jabbing that Singer would be arrogant enough to have McKellan do it without makeup as well as McKellan being stone-faced enough not to need it. :))

RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I meant that you jabbing that Singer would be arrogant enough to have McKellan do it without makeup as well as McKellan being stone-faced enough not to need it. :))

Gotcha. For what it's worth, I wouldn't put anything by Singer at this point. He's going to have to work his ass off and come up with one hell of a story if he wants to regain the respect of comics fans.
    edited November 2006
    Last night, while watching the one film that should've been on this list, something that goes with a point Tony had mentioned earlier:

Does anyone ever noticed that Batman's a terrible shot? I mean he has Joker dead to rights in his jet, he is stocked with a helluva of an ordnance yet he misses him? Keaton's Batman seemed to be all for taking you out. :))

I guess Burton was going for joke effect with the long gun retort so to speak...

Hey, you watch a movie long enough you start to disect them. ;)

RogueAgent wrote:
    Does anyone ever noticed that Batman's a terrible shot? I mean he has Joker dead to rights in his jet, he is stocked with a helluva of an ordnance yet he misses him? Keaton's Batman seemed to be all for taking you out. :))

I never understood that scene. All those rockets explode all around him and the Joker doesn't get so much as a scratch or even a ringing in his ear. If Burton wanted the Joker to survive that onslaught, then he should have framed it differently, had Joker use a decoy, or something else. But as it was, it didn't make any sense. As you say, best not to examine these things too closely.
    Well, I can't say that I'm not breathing a sigh of relief on this one. Maybe Tony even more:

Exclusive Video: Jack Black and The Green Lantern
    Written by Stephanie Sanchez
    Monday, 30 October 2006
    A dreadful script this site reviewed a few months back totally reinvented the beloved Green Lantern superhero into a bumbling idiot who, with his “Fear Factor-like” tactics, receives the power ring and the battery (lantern) to become the Green Lantern.

You can read the review by clicking here.

The reactions from fans everywhere was the same, unequivocal outrage that D.C. would ever even consider taking this approach with one of the most beloved comic book superheroes.

Well, it looks like the studio and D.C. comics have heard the fans and have decided against taking that route.

Speaking with Jack Black today, during the Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny junket, we had to ask for an update on The Green Lantern.

He admits that there was a script written for him, but, the fans had not reacted favorably to the idea of him playing the hero. So, as of now, it’s not something that is moving forward. Can you say big sigh of relief for the fans?

http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=22803

I'd heard about this one. Needless to say I was terrified at the prospect but the outpouring of pure unadulterated seething HATE for the script and the notion of Jack Black as Hal Jordan (UGH!!!) killed it before it was even born. Apparently, there is a God after all.

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night
    No Evil Shall Escape My Sight.
    Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might,
    Beware My Power, Green Lantern's Light!

There, I feel much better now.
    Well another thing that must be taken into account for GL is his costume; it's something that one can't approach lightly. I mean do you stay faithful to the design with a really buffed actor/stuntman or do you revise it to the point that it's not laughable?

If taken too lightly, we may end up with this:

13_1.jpg

a1_1.jpg

See what I mean? :))

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Don't tell me those are pics of you, Rogue! Maybe you should try going as the Riddler next Halloween {:)
    edited November 2006
    No, more of a good friend of mine from last Halloween. He dresses as a different superhero every year.

Not sure what he embarrassed his kids dressed like this year... ?:)

RogueAgent wrote:
    No, more of a good friend of mine from last Halloween. He dresses as a different superhero every year.

Not sure what he embarrassed his kids dressed like this year... ?:)

:)) I cannot fault anybody for being so enthusiastic about Green Lantern, although I think he needs to level the emblem on his chest a bit.

Personally, I think the costume would work well pretty much as it is with a few minor alterations: the green on the suit and mask should be much darker, the boots should be black, the white gloves would probably have to go, and I'd go for a sculpted, more three dimensional emblem on the chest. The costume worn by Kyle Rayner in the animated Superman show would be a pretty good way to go too. And, with all due respect to your friend, the wearer needs to be buffed up some as well.
    We may still get a WORLD'S FINEST film afterall. This article was posted just the other day:

Batman vs. Superman Movie Still In the Works!
    Reports say that it will indeed happen, and that Warner Bros' plan all along was for the heroes to have a couple of solo adventures first, and then bring them both together for one big movie. Apparently Brandon Routh and Christian Bale have even met to discuss it...

SWEET! GAME ON!
    Back in the prehistoric days of Comic Book Movies, before either Superman Returns or Batman Begins movies were a twinkle in the producer's eye,

Warner Bros talked about doing a Batman vs. Superman movie starring both iconic characters battling each other. The idea was universally applauded by geeks the world over, a script was written, but nothing ever came of it. Well now Moviehole is reporting that...

"The plan for it was always to give the heroes a couple of solo adventures first, and then bring them both together for one big movie. Apparently Brandon Routh and Christian Bale have even met to discuss it."

It looks like the game is on again! Wheehoo!
    Jim Littler
    11/2/2006
    Source: Moviehole

Also:

Daredevil: No more tights for Ben
    Ben Affleck says no to sequel.

"By playing a superhero in Daredevil, I have inoculated myself from ever playing another superhero," Affleck told the press at the London premiere of Hollywoodland. "Wearing a costume was a source of humiliation for me and something I wouldn't want to do again soon."

The film made over $179 million worldwide.

Will Torrey
    11/3/2006
    Source: comics2film.com

I wanted so much to like this movie but it just came up sort of lame. This should be re-booted and DD to be given the appropiate attire ala Spider-Man.

With regard to a Batman/Superman World's Finest crossover, Bring It On! As long as they craft a good script I think the public would go for it; heck if they were really smart they'd shoot two movies back to back (ala Pirates 2 and 3) since it would be hard (but not impossible) to do big screen justice to two such characters in only 2 hours. Have part one take place in Metropolis and part two in Gotham (or vice versa).

As for Ben Affleck not wanting to be associated with comics movies, all I can say is don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Ben. He seems to forget that DD was the last really profitable movie he was in and most of his projects before and after it tanked miserably. No big loss.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2006
    TonyDP wrote:
    As for Ben Affleck not wanting to be associated with comics movies, all I can say is don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Ben. He seems to forget that DD was the last really profitable movie he was in and most of his projects before and after it tanked miserably. No big loss.
    Isn't it ironic that Ben's most celebrated role in years has him playing George Reeves? :D He never wants to play another superhero and here he is playing a man who himself had a problem playing a superhero. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:
    Isn't it ironic that Ben's most celebrated role in years has him playing George Reeves? :D He never wants to play another superhero and here he is playing a man who himself had a problem playing a superhero. :))

Let Affleck tell it, he was portraying the suffering actor Reeve and the costume was just a minor side attraction. :))

Honestly I am not heartbroken that he won't don another pair of tights. Good riddance...

His Boston buddy Damon is more believable as an action star anyway.

This is being posted for those who may not know about Frank Miller's 300 coming to theatres soon. It sort of has that Sin City look set to ancient times. :)

Here's the trailer if your interested:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/